Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Heidelberg
- Extracellular signal-regulated kinase as an inducer of non-apoptotic neuronal deathS Subramaniam
Neuroanatomy and Interdisciplinary Center for Neurosciences, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 307, D 69120, Heidelberg, Germany
Neuroscience 138:1055-65. 2006..Further, we discuss the mechanisms and the putative molecular inter-players associated with ERK-mediated neuronal death...
- ERK activation promotes neuronal degeneration predominantly through plasma membrane damage and independently of caspase-3Srinivasa Subramaniam
Neuroanatomy and Interdisciplinary Center for Neurosciences, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 307, 2 OG, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Cell Biol 165:357-69. 2004..Antioxidants that reduced ERK activation and PM damage showed no effect on caspase-3 activation or DNA damage. These data identify ERK as an important executor of neuronal damage involving a caspase-3-independent mechanism...
- Insulin-like growth factor 1 inhibits extracellular signal-regulated kinase to promote neuronal survival via the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/protein kinase A/c-Raf pathwaySrinivasa Subramaniam
Neuroanatomy and Interdisciplinary Center for Neurosciences, University of Heidelberg, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Neurosci 25:2838-52. 2005..Together, these data demonstrate that IGF-1 can positively and negatively regulate the ERK pathway in the same neuronal cell, and provide new insights into the PI3K/Akt/PKA signaling pathways in IGF-1-mediated neuronal survival...
- Growth differentiation factor-15 prevents low potassium-induced cell death of cerebellar granule neurons by differential regulation of Akt and ERK pathwaysSrinivasa Subramaniam
Neuroanatomy and Interdisciplinary Center for Neurosciences IZN, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 307, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Biol Chem 278:8904-12. 2003..Furthermore, we show that GDF-15 prevented generation of reactive oxygen species, a known activator of ERK. Together, our data suggest that GDF-15 prevents apoptosis in CGN by activating Akt and inhibiting endogenously active ERK...
- Evidence that TRPC1 is involved in hippocampal glutamate-induced cell deathK Lakshmi Narayanan
Interdisciplinary Centerfor Neurosciences IZN, Department of Neuroanatomy, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 307, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Neurosci Lett 446:117-22. 2008..Thus, TRPC1 may represent a promising target for pharmacological interventions to prevent or reduce glutamate-induced neuronal damage...
- Glutamate activates NF-kappaB through calpain in neuronsMarion N Scholzke
Department of Neurology, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 400, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Eur J Neurosci 18:3305-10. 2003..NF-kappaB activation by calpain may mediate the long-term effects of glutamate on neuron survival or memory formation...
- GDNF prevents TGF-beta-induced damage of the plasma membrane in cerebellar granule neurons by suppressing activation of p38-MAPK via the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase pathwaySrinivasa Subramaniam
Neuroanatomy and Interdisciplinary Center for Neurosciences IZN, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 307, 69120, Heidelberg, Germany
Cell Tissue Res 331:373-83. 2008..GDNF inhibits caspase-3-dependent DNA fragmentation but does not affect ERK-dependent PM damage. However, GDNF can attenuate TGF-beta-induced p38-MAPK-dependent PM damage via the PI3K pathway...
- Elevated P75NTR expression causes death of engrailed-deficient midbrain dopaminergic neurons by Erk1/2 suppressionKambiz N Alavian
Interdisciplinary Centre for Neuroscience, Department of Neuroanatomy, Ruprecht Karls Universitat, Heidelberg, Germany
Neural Dev 4:11. 2009....
- TGF-beta induces cell death in the oligodendroglial cell line OLI-neuNorbert Schuster
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Medical Faculty, University of Saarland, Homburg Saar, Germany
Glia 40:95-108. 2002....
- Tau aggregation and progressive neuronal degeneration in the absence of changes in spine density and morphology after targeted expression of Alzheimer's disease-relevant tau constructs in organotypic hippocampal slicesNeelam Shahani
Department of Neurobiology, University of Osnabruck, 49076 Osnabruck, Germany
J Neurosci 26:6103-14. 2006..Furthermore, they demonstrate that targeted expression of tau in hippocampal slices provides a novel model to analyze tau modification and spatiotemporal dynamics of tau-dependent neurodegeneration in an authentic CNS environment...