Affiliation: University of Leipzig
- Parkinson's disease: emerging pharmacotherapyKarl Strecker
Department of Neurology, University of Leipzig, Movement Disorders Group, Liebigstrasse 22 a, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Expert Opin Emerg Drugs 13:573-91. 2008..Here, we describe current therapies and possible future developments that we hope will contribute to sustaining quality of life in patients suffering from Parkinson's disease for many years...
- Effects of subthalamic nucleus stimulation on striatal dopaminergic transmission in patients with Parkinson's disease within one-year follow-upSwen Hesse
Dept of Nuclear Medicine, University of Leipzig, Stephanstrasse 11, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
J Neurol 255:1059-66. 2008..These data show that clinical improvement and reduction of dopaminergic drugs in patients with advanced PD undergoing bilateral STN-DBS are paralleled by stable DAT and recovery of striatal D2R availability 12 months after surgery...
- Preserved serotonin transporter binding in de novo Parkinson's disease: negative correlation with the dopamine transporterKarl Strecker
Department of Neurology, University of Leipzig, Liebigstrasse 20, 04103, Leipzig, Germany
J Neurol 258:19-26. 2011..No alteration of SERT binding in our patients suggests that the serotonergic system is remarkably preserved in early PD. Correlation with DAT might point to a compensatory regulation of the serotonergic system in early stages of PD...
- Implementing conventional Zamorano Dujovny frames versus individually manufactured microTargeting platforms--a comparative study on deep brain stimulation in Parkinson patientsDirk Winkler
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 91:392-8. 2013..Surgical and clinical results were compared to conventional Zamorano Dujovny frames (ZD) in this prospective study...
- The 5-HT1A-receptor agonist flibanserin reduces drug-induced dyskinesia in RGS9-deficient miceKarl Strecker
NRZ, Neurological Rehabilitation Center, University of Leipzig, Muldentalweg 1, 04828 Bennewitz, Germany
J Neural Transm 119:1351-9. 2012..04). Flibanserin showed promising antidyskinetic effects in a model of drug-induced dyskinesia. Our data underline the possible benefit of 5-HT1A agonists in drug-induced dyskinesia...
- Levetiracetam for levodopa-induced dyskinesia in Parkinson's disease: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialMartin Wolz
Department of Neurology, Dresden University of Technology, Fetscherstraße 74, 01307 Dresden, Germany
J Neural Transm 117:1279-86. 2010..LEV was well tolerated in doses up to 2,000 mg/day. Further large controlled studies are warranted to evaluate the impact of LEV on LID in PD patients...
- Adaptive gene regulation in the Striatum of RGS9-deficient miceKathy Busse
Department of Neurology, Medical Faculty, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany Institute of Biochemistry, Medical Faculty, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
PLoS ONE 9:e92605. 2014..RGS9-deficient mice show drug-induced dyskinesia but normal locomotor activity under unchallenged conditions...
- Increase of frequency in deep brain stimulation relieves apraxia of eyelid opening in patients with Parkinson's disease: case reportKarl Strecker
Department of Neurology, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Neurosurgery 63:E1204; discussion E1204. 2008..However, approximately 5% of patients might develop apraxia of eyelid opening after DBS of the subthalamic nucleus. We provide data on a new noninvasive treatment approach to this adverse event...
- Monoamine transporter availability in Parkinson's disease patients with or without depressionSwen Hesse
Department of Nuclear Medicine, University of Leipzig, Stephanstrasse 11, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 36:428-35. 2009..Therefore, we studied PD patients with depression (PD+D) and without depression (PD-D) using high-resolution single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) and the monoamine transporter marker [(123)I]FP-CIT...