Affiliation: University of Munich
- On the potential of acarbose to reduce cardiovascular diseaseEberhard Standl
Munich Diabetes Research Group e, V, at Helmholtz Centre, Ingolstaedter Landstrasse 1, 85764 Munich, Neuherberg, Germany
Cardiovasc Diabetol 13:81. 2014....
- Statins and beyond: concurrent strategies for prevention of cardiovascular disease in patients with type 2 diabetesEberhard Standl
Munich Diabetes Research Group at the Munich Helmholtz Centre, Germany
Diab Vasc Dis Res 10:99-114. 2013..Combining statins with drugs that target HDL-C and TG, such as fibrates, niacin and omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) ethyl esters, may offer further protection from CVD in patients with diabetes...
- What should be the antihypertensive drug of choice in diabetic patients and should we avoid drugs that increase glucose levels? Pro and ConsEberhard Standl
Munich Diabetes Research Group e V, Munich Helmholtz Centre, Ingolstaedter Landstrasse 1, Munich Neuherberg, Germany
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 28:60-6. 2012..Awareness of these facts and highly individualized therapy seem to be the way forward...
- Dysglycemia and abdominal obesityEberhard Standl
Munich Diabetes Research Group, Helmholtz Centre Munich Neuherberg, Ingolstaedter Landstrasse 1, D 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
Curr Vasc Pharmacol 10:678-9. 2012..In addition, the multiple effects of insulin also on the regulation of the vasculature are shifted towards vasoconstriction and proliferation in the context of insulin resistance and the excessively high levels...
- Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors 2012 - cardiovascular considerations and trial evaluationEberhard Standl
Munich Diabetes Research Group, Helmholtz Centre Munich Neuherberg, Germany
Diab Vasc Dis Res 9:163-9. 2012..The ultimate determination of the cardiovascular effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors in terms of clinical outcomes awaits the results of ongoing long-term, randomised, placebo-controlled trials...
- Postprandial hyperglycemia and glycemic variability: should we care?Eberhard Standl
Munich Diabetes Research Institute, Munich Helmholtz Centre, Munich, Germany
Diabetes Care 34:S120-7. 2011..e., that we should care about postprandial hyperglycemia and glycemic variability. The absence of a uniformly accepted standard of how to estimate these parameters adds a further challenge to this whole debate...
- [Influence of diabetes incidence by ramipril and rosiglitazone: DREAM study (diabetes reduction assessment with ramipril and rosiglitazone medication)]E Standl
Institut für Diabetesforschung München an der GSF, Ingolstadter Landstrasse 1, 85764, München Neuherberg, Germany
Internist (Berl) 48:1173-6. 2007
- The role of oral antidiabetic agents: why and when to use an early-phase insulin secretion agent in Type II diabetes mellitusE Standl
Diabetes Research Institute Munich, Kolner Platz 1, 80804 Munich, Germany
Diabetologia 46:M30-6. 2003..Additional substantiation of their long-term effect on improving life expectancy and reducing diabetic complications in Type II diabetic patients is now required...
- The impact of glucose-lowering therapy on cardiovascular outcomesEberhard Standl
Munich Diabetes Research Institute at the Munich Helmholtz Center, Munich Neuherberg, Germany
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 23:401-11. 2009..5%, which takes time to tailor (poly-)pharmacotherapy gently to the patient's needs. Drug-specific effects, both advantageous and disadvantageous, of blood-glucose-lowering therapy cannot be excluded currently and warrant further studies...
- The 12-month efficacy and safety of insulin detemir and NPH insulin in basal-bolus therapy for the treatment of type 1 diabetesEberhard Standl
Diabetes Research Institute, Munich, Germany
Diabetes Technol Ther 6:579-88. 2004..This trial compared the long-term safety and efficacy of the basal insulin preparations, insulin detemir and NPH insulin, in basal-bolus therapy for patients with type 1 diabetes...
- Good glycemic control with flexibility in timing of basal insulin supply: a 24-week comparison of insulin glargine given once daily in the morning or at bedtime in combination with morning glimepirideEberhard Standl
Munich Diabetes Research Institute, 3 Medical Department, Krankenhaus München Schwabing, Kolner Platz 1, D 80804, Munich, Germany
Diabetes Care 28:419-20. 2005
- Once-daily insulin glargine administration in the morning compared to bedtime in combination with morning glimepiride in patients with type 2 diabetes: an assessment of treatment flexibilityE Standl
Munich Institute of Diabetes Research and 3 Medical Department, Krankenhaus München Schwabing, Munich, Germany
Horm Metab Res 38:172-7. 2006..To compare the incidence of nocturnal hypoglycemia and glycemic control following bedtime or morning insulin glargine (LANTUS; glargine) plus glimepiride...
- Insulin as a first-line therapy in type 2 diabetes: should the use of sulfonylureas be halted?Eberhard Standl
Munich Diabetes Research Institute, Kölner Pl 1, D 80804 Munich, Germany
Diabetes Care 31:S136-9. 2008
- Acarbose and metabolic control in patients with type 2 diabetes with newly initiated insulin therapyO Schnell
Diabetes Research Institute, Munich, Germany
Diabetes Obes Metab 9:853-8. 2007....
- Improved glycaemic control with miglitol in inadequately-controlled type 2 diabeticsE Standl
Schwabing Hospital, Koelner Platz 1, D-80804 Munich, Germany
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 51:205-13. 2001..No cases of hypoglycaemia were reported. CONCLUSIONS: Miglitol can safely and effectively be added to long-term combination therapy in people with Type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled with glibenclamide plus metformin...
- Successful treatment with insulin analog lispro in IDDM with delayed absorption of subcutaneously applied human regular insulin and complicated intraperitoneal insulin infusion. A case reportM Meier
Diabetes Research Institute, Schwabing Hospital, Munich, Germany
Diabetes Care 21:1044-5. 1998....
- Chromium in metabolic and cardiovascular diseaseM Hummel
Diabetes Research Institute and Academical Hospital Munich Schwabing, Munich, Germany
Horm Metab Res 39:743-51. 2007..The existing data suggest to concentrate future studies on certain forms as chromium picolinate and doses as at least 200 mcg per day...
- Two Caucasian families with the hepatocyte nuclear factor-1alpha mutation Tyr218CysM Hummel
Diabetes Research Institute and Academical Hospital Munich Schwabing, Munich, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 115:62-4. 2007..Clinical and laboratory examinations are shown in detail. Patients with HNF-1alpha related MODY may develop the full spectrum of diabetic complications. Therefore, early detection of family members with MODY3 is warranted...
- Semi-automatic generation of medical tele-expert opinion for primary care physicianE Biermann
Institut fur Diabetesforschung, Kölnerplatz 1, D 80804 München, Germany
Methods Inf Med 42:212-9. 2003..A computer-based system has been developed for the generation of medical expert opinions on the insulin-resistance syndrome, based on clinical data obtained from primary care physicians...
- [Cardiovascular risk in diabetes--diagnostic and therapeutic aspects]O Schnell
Institut fur Diabetesforschung, 3 Med Klinik, Krankenhaus München Schwabing
MMW Fortschr Med 146:36-8. 2004..An example of a successful approach for metabolic intervention is glucose-insulin infusion to optimize the metabolic condition during the acute phase...
- Lupus-like panniculitis in a patient with autoimmune polyendocrinopathy-candidiasis-ectodermal dystrophy (APECED)M Füchtenbusch
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Gastroenterology, Academic Hospital München Schwabing, Munich, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 111:288-93. 2003..Here, autoimmune panniculitis appears to be an associated feature of the APECED syndrome. Our findings support the use of immunosuppressive therapy for autoimmune disease components of the APECED syndrome...
- Cardiac sympathetic dysinnervation in Type 2 diabetes mellitus with and without ECG-based cardiac autonomic neuropathyOliver Schnell
Diabetes Research Institute, Third Medical Department, Academic Schwabing City Hospital, Munich, Germany
J Diabetes Complications 16:220-7. 2002..In Type 2 diabetes mellitus, the posterior myocardium is predominantly affected and the extent of dysinnervation is more pronounced in the presence of ECG-based cardiac autonomic neuropathy...
- Are there time and cost savings by using telemanagement for patients on intensified insulin therapy? A randomised, controlled trialEberhard Biermann
Institute for Diabetes Research, Kolner Platz 1, 80804 Munich, Germany
Comput Methods Programs Biomed 69:137-46. 2002..This study focuses on the fiscal and administrative aspects of telemanagement, which was used to establish a supervised autonomy of patients on intensified insulin therapy...
- How would patients behave if they were continually informed of their blood glucose levels? A simulation study using a "virtual" patientEberhard Biermann
Staedtisches Klinikum Muenchen GmbH, Klinikum Schwabing, Muenchen, Germany
Diabetes Technol Ther 10:178-87. 2008..In this study, we use a computer-generated "virtual" patient to predict changes in behavior that may result from an increased awareness of BG levels...
- Intensification of therapeutic approaches reduces mortality in diabetic patients with acute myocardial infarction: the Munich registryOliver Schnell
Diabetes Research Institute, and Third Medical Clinic, Academic Schwabing Hospital, Munich, Germany
Diabetes Care 27:455-60. 2004..The aim of this study was to improve quality care management and to compare hospital mortality and therapeutic approaches (i.e., PTCA, stenting, GPIIb/IIIa receptor antagonists, glucose-insulin infusion)...
- [Insulin therapy improves cardiac autonomic function in type 2 diabetic patients]Oliver Schnell
3 Medizinische Abteilung KH München Schwabing und Institut für Diabetesforschung, Munchen
Herz 29:519-23. 2004..There is scintigraphic evidence that insulin improves cardiac autonomic innervation in diabetic patients. The aim of the study was to assess the effects of insulin therapy on parameters of cardiac reflex tests in type 2 diabetic patients...
- Metformin: drug of choice for the prevention of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular complications in high-risk subjectsE Standl
Munich Diabetes Research Institute, Germany
Diabetes Metab 29:6S121-2. 2003....
- Autoantibodies against autonomic nervous tissues in type 2 diabetes mellitus: no association with cardiac autonomic dysfunctionO Schnell
Diabetes Research Institute, Munich, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 108:181-6. 2000..In Type 2 DM, CF-SG and CF-PSG autoantibodies are not frequently observed. The results do not give evidence, that immunological factors--like in Type 1 DM--play a role in the pathogenesis of cardiac autonomic dysfunction in Type 2 DM...
- Coronary calcification in long-term type 1 diabetic patients -- a study with multi slice spiral computed tomographyC Thilo
Klinikum der Universitat Munchen, Medical Hospital I, Grosshadern, Munich, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 112:561-5. 2004..MSCT is a promising non-invasive approach to analyze early alterations of the coronary system in diabetic patients...
- [62 year-old patient with rapid progressive edema, low potassium and hypertension]M Hummel
Medizinische Klinik 3, Krankenhaus München Schwabing, Munich, Germany
Internist (Berl) 47:427, 429-33. 2006..A Sertoli-cell-tumor of the testis was diagnosed as an additional carcinoma. Palliative chemotherapy and adrenostatic agents did not improve the clinical findings and the patient died eight weeks after admission...
- QTc interval and scintigraphically assessed myocardial perfusion in newly diagnosed and long-term type 1 diabetes mellitusM Meier
Third Medical Department, Schwabing City Hospital, Munich, Germany
J Diabetes Complications 14:90-5. 2000..Future investigations are required to analyze the role of QTc interval in the pathogenesis of abnormalities of myocardial perfusion...
- C-reactive protein in diabetic and nondiabetic patients with acute myocardial infarctionWolfgang Otter
Cardiology, Academical Teaching Hospital, Schwabing, Munich, Germany
Diabetes Care 30:3080-2. 2007
- Hospital outcome of acute myocardial infarction in patients with and without diabetes mellitusW Otter
Department of Cardiology, Schwabing City Hospital and Diabetes Research Institute, Munich, Germany
Diabet Med 21:183-7. 2004..To assess hospital mortality and morbidity in diabetic and non-diabetic patients with acute myocardial infarction and to compare the results between the two groups...
- The Munich Myocardial Infarction Registry: impact of C-reactive protein and kidney function on hospital mortality in diabetic patientsOliver Schnell
Diabetes Research Institute, Helmholtz Center, Ingolstadter Landstrasse 1, 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
Diab Vasc Dis Res 7:225-30. 2010..The aim of this study was to analyse hospital mortality with regards to the presence of diabetes, elevation of C-reactive protein (CRP) levels and impaired kidney function (IKF) on admission...
- [Reduction of cardiovascular risk--a new approach in therapy of type 2 diabetes]Eberhard Standl
Institut für Diabetesforschung Kölner Platz 1, 80804 München
Med Klin (Munich) 98:1. 2003
- Deferoxamine improves coronary vascular responses to sympathetic stimulation in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitusNaoya Hattori
Nuklearmedizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technischen Universitat Munchen, Germany
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 29:891-8. 2002..Hydroxyl radicals may play a role in the pathogenesis of flow abnormalities in type 1 diabetes...
- The prevalence of abnormal glucose regulation in patients with coronary artery disease across Europe. The Euro Heart Survey on diabetes and the heartMałgorzata Bartnik
Department of Cardiology, Karolinska University Hospital, Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur Heart J 25:1880-90. 2004..The objective behind the Euro Heart Survey on diabetes and the heart was to study the prevalence of abnormal glucose regulation in adult patients with coronary artery disease (CAD)...
- Glucose lowering treatment in patients with coronary artery disease is prognostically important not only in established but also in newly detected diabetes mellitus: a report from the Euro Heart Survey on Diabetes and the HeartMatteo Anselmino
Department of Cardiology, San Giovanni Battista Molinette Hospital, Turin 10126, Italy
Eur Heart J 29:177-84. 2008..This report from the Euro Heart Survey on Diabetes and the Heart describes present practice in relation to 1 year prognosis...
- Dysregulation of coronary microvascular reactivity in asymptomatic patients with type 2 diabetes mellitusMitsuru Momose
Nuklearmedizinische Klinik und Poliklinik der Technischen Universität München, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Ismaninger Strasse 22, 81675 Munich, Germany
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 29:1675-9. 2002..These data suggest a state of activation of endothelial-dependent vasodilation at baseline which appears to limit the flow response to stress conditions...
- IRIS II study: intact proinsulin is confirmed as a highly specific indicator for insulin resistance in a large cross-sectional study designAndreas Pfutzner
University of Applied Sciences, Rheinbach, Germany
Diabetes Technol Ther 7:478-86. 2005..The cross-sectional IRIS-II study tried to assess the prevalence of insulin resistance and macrovascular disease in orally treated patients with Type 2 diabetes...
- Twelve- and 52-week efficacy of the dipeptidyl peptidase IV inhibitor LAF237 in metformin-treated patients with type 2 diabetesBo Ahren
Department of Medicine, Lund University B11 BMC, SE 221 84 Lund, Sweden
Diabetes Care 27:2874-80. 2004..To assess the 12- and 52-week efficacy of the dipeptidyl peptidase IV inhibitor LAF237 versus placebo in patients with type 2 diabetes continuing metformin treatment...
- [Diabetic patients with heart disease. Especially strict blood values are important here]Eberhard Standl
MMW Fortschr Med 148:11. 2006
- Pioglitazone use and heart failure in patients with type 2 diabetes and preexisting cardiovascular disease: data from the PROactive study (PROactive 08)Erland Erdmann
Medizinische Klinik III der Universität zu Köln Kerpener Str 62, D 50937 Koln, Germany
Diabetes Care 30:2773-8. 2007..We analyzed the heart failure cases to assess the effects of treatment on morbidity and mortality after reports of serious heart failure...
- Secondary prevention of macrovascular events in patients with type 2 diabetes in the PROactive Study (PROspective pioglitAzone Clinical Trial In macroVascular Events): a randomised controlled trialJohn A Dormandy
Department of Clinical Vascular Research, Ingelby House, St Georges Hospital, Blackshaw Road, London SW17 0QT, UK
Lancet 366:1279-89. 2005..Our aim, therefore, was to ascertain whether pioglitazone reduces macrovascular morbidity and mortality in high-risk patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Telecare for patients with type 1 diabetes and inadequate glycemic control: response to Montori et alEberhard Biermann
Diabetes Care 28:228-9; author reply 229-30. 2005
- Impaired glucose tolerance, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseaseOliver Schnell
University of Munich and Diabetes Research Institute, Germany
Endocr Pract 12:16-9. 2006..To analyze the association among impaired glucose tolerance (IGT), diabetes, and cardiovascular disease (CVD)...
- Guidelines on diabetes, pre-diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases: executive summary. The Task Force on Diabetes and Cardiovascular Diseases of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD)Lars Ryden
Department of Cardiology, Karolinska University Hospital, Sweden
Eur Heart J 28:88-136. 2007
- IRIS II Study: Sensitivity and specificity of intact proinsulin, adiponectin, and the proinsulin/adiponectin ratio as markers for insulin resistanceMatthias R Langenfeld
IKFE Institute for Clinical Research and Development, Mainz, Germany
Diabetes Technol Ther 6:836-43. 2004....
- An advanced approach for the assessment of gastric motor function in long-term type 1 diabetes mellitus with and without autonomic neuropathyMatthias Meier
Hannover Medical School, Department of Nephrology, Germany
Clin Auton Res 12:197-202. 2002..Analyzing gastric motor function with dynamic scintigraphic techniques using condensed images is a promising clinical approach to further elucidate the mechanisms of impaired gastric motility in DM...
- Association of high-sensitive C-reactive protein with advanced stage beta-cell dysfunction and insulin resistance in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitusAndreas Pfutzner
Institute for Clinical Research and Development, IKFE GmbH, Parcusstrasse 8, 55116 Mainz, Germany
Clin Chem Lab Med 44:556-60. 2006..Type 2 diabetes mellitus is associated with increased cardiovascular risk. One laboratory marker for cardiovascular risk assessment is high-sensitivity C-reactive protein (hsCRP)...
- [Diabetes mellitus: global strategies for control of the epidemic]Eberhard Standl
Krankenpfl J 42:166. 2004
- Sleep-disordered breathing and type 2 diabetes: a report from the International Diabetes Federation Taskforce on Epidemiology and PreventionJonathan E Shaw
International Diabetes Institute, 250 Kooyong Road, Caulfield, Melbourne, VIC 3162, Australia
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 81:2-12. 2008....
- [Guidelines on diabetes, pre-diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases]Lars Ryden
Rev Esp Cardiol 60:1e-64e. 2007
- Guidelines for the treatment and management of new-onset diabetes after transplantationAlan Wilkinson
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Clin Transplant 19:291-8. 2005....