Affiliation: University of Bayreuth
- Furan fatty acids: occurrence, synthesis, and reactions. Are furan fatty acids responsible for the cardioprotective effects of a fish diet?Gerhard Spiteller
Lehrstuhl fur Organische Chemie I, University of Bayreuth, Bayreuth, Germany
Lipids 40:755-71. 2005..F-acids react readily with peroxyl radicals to generate dioxoenes. The radical-scavenging ability of F-acids may contribute to the protective properties of fish and fish oil diets against mortality from heart disease...
- The important role of lipid peroxidation processes in aging and age dependent diseasesGerhard Spiteller
Organic Chemical Department, University of Bayreuth, Universitatsstrasse 30, Bayreuth, Germany
Mol Biotechnol 37:5-12. 2007..In order to remove LOO* radicals, plants and algae transform PUFAs to furan fatty acids, which are incorporated after consumption of vegetables into mammalian tissues where they act as excellent scavengers of LOO* and LO* radicals...
- Peroxyl radicals: inductors of neurodegenerative and other inflammatory diseases. Their origin and how they transform cholesterol, phospholipids, plasmalogens, polyunsaturated fatty acids, sugars, and proteins into deleterious productsGerhard Spiteller
Institute of Organic Chemistry, University of Bayreuth, Universitatsstrasse 30, D 95440 Bayreuth, Germany
Free Radic Biol Med 41:362-87. 2006....
- Linoleic acid peroxidation--the dominant lipid peroxidation process in low density lipoprotein--and its relationship to chronic diseasesG Spiteller
Lehrstuhl Organische Chemie I, Universitat Bayreuth, Germany
Chem Phys Lipids 95:105-62. 1998..HODEs are of high physiological relevance. (4) In some diseases characterized by inflammation or cell injury HODEs are present in low density lipoproteins (LDL) at 10-100 higher concentration, compared to LDL from healthy individuals...
- Are lipid peroxidation processes induced by changes in the cell wall structure and how are these processes connected with diseases?Gerhard Spiteller
Lehrstuhl Organische Chemie, Universitatsstrasse 30, Bayreuth, Germany
Med Hypotheses 60:69-83. 2003..This LDL is able to enter endothelial cells and damage cells from inside, long before an inflammatory response is detectable...
- Is lipid peroxidation of polyunsaturated acids the only source of free radicals that induce aging and age-related diseases?Gerhard Spiteller
Institute for Organic Chemistry, University of Bayreuth, Bayreuth, Germany
Rejuvenation Res 13:91-103. 2010..Since any cell preparation method causes membrane destruction, it is inevitable that protonated superoxide is generated, explaining why H(2)O(2) molecules are found as "byproducts" of many reactions...
- Peroxyl radicals are essential reagents in the oxidation steps of the Maillard reaction leading to generation of advanced glycation end productsGerhard Spiteller
Institute of Organic Chemistry, University of Bayreuth, Bayreuth, Germany
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1126:128-33. 2008..The deleterious reactions can be partly reduced by consumption of plants and/or algae. These contain, among other well-known antioxidants, furan fatty acids, which are important scavengers of peroxyl radicals...
- The relation of lipid peroxidation processes with atherogenesis: a new theory on atherogenesisGerhard Spiteller
Department of Organic Chemistry, University of Bayreuth, Bayreuth, Germany
Mol Nutr Food Res 49:999-1013. 2005..These are radical scavengers and are incorporated after consumption of these nutrients into human phospholipids, leading to the assumption that not n-3 PUFAs, but F-acids are responsible for the beneficial efficiency of a fish diet...
- Is atherosclerosis a multifactorial disease or is it induced by a sequence of lipid peroxidation reactions?Gerhard Spiteller
Organische Chemie 1, Universitat Bayreuth, Universitatsstrasse 30, D 95440 Bayreuth, Germany
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1043:355-66. 2005....
- Do changes in the cell membrane structure induce the generation of lipid peroxidation products which serve as first signalling molecules in cell to cell communication?G Spiteller
Lehrstuhl Organische Chemie 1, Universitat Bayreuth, Bayreuth, Germany
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 67:151-62. 2002..Toxic lipid peroxidation products are therefore introduced into cells and might be able to damage cells from inside long before the typical signs of atherosclerosis and other chronic diseases become visible...
- Are changes of the cell membrane structure causally involved in the aging process?Gerhard Spiteller
Organische Chemie, Universitat Bayreuth, Universitatsstrasse 30, 95440 Bayreuth, Germany
Ann N Y Acad Sci 959:30-44. 2002..Primarily investigations seem to indicate that an overload of a diet rich in PUFAs induces only after two days an increase in oxidized LDL/PUFAs for a factor up to two in young people and for a factor of more than two in old individuals...
- Lipid peroxidation in aging and age-dependent diseasesG Spiteller
Department of Organic Chemistry, University of Bayreuth, Universitatsstrasse 30, 95440 Bayreuth, Germany
Exp Gerontol 36:1425-57. 2001..Some of the LPO products are of high chemical reactivity and therefore escape detection in biological surrounding. For instance, epoxides and highly unsaturated aldehydic compounds that apparently induce apoptosis...
- Peroxidation of linoleic acid and its relation to aging and age dependent diseasesG Spiteller
Lehrstuhl Organische Chemie 1, University Bayreuth, Universitatsstrasse 30, 95440, Bayreuth, Germany
Mech Ageing Dev 122:617-57. 2001..Since these products serve signalling functions, different degradation paths of linoleic-hydroperoxides are described in detail and the physiological properties of LPO products are discussed in relation to aging and age related diseases...
- Aldehydic lipid peroxidation products derived from linoleic acidP Spiteller
Lehrstuhl Organische Chemie I, , , 95440 Bayreuth, Germany
Biochim Biophys Acta 1531:188-208. 2001..Addition of m-chloroperbenzoic acid transforms 2,4-decadienal to 4-hydroxy-2-nonenal. 4,5-Epoxy-2-decenal, synthetically available by treatment of 2,4-decadienal with dimethyldioxirane, is hydrolyzed to 4,5-dihydroxy-2-decenal...
- Ceramide-epoxidesA Möllenberg
Lehrstuhl fur Organische Chemie I, Universitat Bayreuth, NW I, Universitatsstrasse 30, Bayreuth, Germany
Chem Phys Lipids 109:225-8. 2001..A by-product generated by HPLC purification is the tetrahydrofuryl derivative of acetamide (2). Mainly allylic oxidation was observed when natural ceramides were reacted with dimethyldioxirane...
- Transformations of 12,13-epoxy-11-hydroxy-9-octadecenoic acid and 4,5-epoxy-N-acetylsphingosine by incubation with liver homogenate and liver microsomesA Möllenberg
Institut für Organische Chemie I, Universitat Bayreuth, Germany
Z Naturforsch C 55:981-6. 2000..Both epoxides were converted to corresponding dioles by porcine liver homogenate, but not by human liver microsomes, suggesting location of the hydrolyzing enzymes not in the microsomes, but within the cell wall...
- Interaction of lignans with human sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG)M Schöttner
Lehrstuhl Organische Chemie I, Universitat Bayreuth, Germany
Z Naturforsch C 52:834-43. 1997..the 4-hydroxy-3-methoxy (guajacyl) substitution pattern in the aromatic part is most effective 3.) the activity increases with the decline in polarity of the aliphatic part of the molecule...
- Determination of hydroxyoctadecadienoic acidsNikolay Youhnovski
Department of Organic Chemistry 1, Bayreuth University, Universitaetstr 30, 95447 Bayreuth, Germany
Z Naturforsch C 58:268-76. 2003..In this paper we describe an improved work-up procedure and the preparation of standards labeled with 18O in the hydroxylic group which is not exchangeable...