Affiliation: University Hospital
- A comparison of the effects of thiazolidinediones and metformin on metabolic control in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitusJochen Seufert
Medizinische Poliklinik, University of Wurzburg, Wuerzburg, Germany
Clin Ther 26:805-18. 2004..Although both types of agents improve glycemic control, their mechanisms of action and effects on metabolic processes differ...
- A fixed-dose combination of pioglitazone and metformin: A promising alternative in metabolic controlJochen Seufert
Division of Endocrinology and Diabetology, University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Curr Med Res Opin 22:S39-48. 2006..A fixed-dose combination of pioglitazone (a thiazolidinedione) and metformin has been approved for use in the US (Actoplus met) and in Europe (Competact)...
- 2-year effects of pioglitazone add-on to sulfonylurea or metformin on oral glucose tolerance in patients with type 2 diabetesJochen Seufert
Division of Endocrinology and Diabetology, Department of Internal Medicine II, University Hospital of Freiburg, Hugstetter Strasse 55, 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 79:453-60. 2008..We report the effectiveness of the thiazolidinedione, pioglitazone, as add-on medication to metformin or sulfonylurea in reducing post-load serum glucose levels, as assessed by 3-h oral glucose tolerance testing (OGTT)...
- The backbone of oral glucose-lowering therapy: time for a paradigm shift?Jochen Seufert
Division of Endocrinology and Diabetology, University Hospital of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 23:651-67. 2009..A practical approach is taken, reflecting potential clinical situations in which therapeutic intervention is required...
- [ACCORD (Action to Control Cardiovascular Risk in Diabetes trial) becoming "two-tone"]J Seufert
Schwerpunkt Endokrinologie und Diabetologie, Abteilung Innere Medizin II, Universitatsklinikum Freiburg, Hugstetter Strasse 55, 79106 Freiburg
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 133:1068-70. 2008
- Glucose-dependent expansion of pancreatic beta-cells by the protein p8 in vitro and in vivoGunter Path
Division of Endocrinology and Diabetology, Dept of Internal Medicine II, University Hospital of Freiburg, 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 291:E1168-76. 2006..These results establish p8 as a novel molecular mediator of glucose-induced pancreatic beta-cell expansion in vitro and in vivo and support the notion of existing beta-cell replication in the adult organism...
- Analysis of muscle microcirculation in advanced diabetes mellitus by contrast enhanced ultrasoundD Duerschmied
Department of Cardiology and Angiology, University Hospital of Freiburg, Hugstetter Street 55, 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 81:88-92. 2008..However, this approach was not suitable to assess microangiopathy of skeletal muscle, a major contributor to PAD in diabetic patients. We hypothesized that an optimized methodology would detect impaired microcirculation...
- Diabetic polyneuropathy is associated with respiratory muscle impairment in type 2 diabetesH J Kabitz
Department of Pneumology, University Hospital Freiburg, Killianstrasse 5, 79106, Freiburg, Germany
Diabetologia 51:191-7. 2008..However, data on respiratory neuromuscular involvement in diabetes are lacking. This study therefore aimed to assess respiratory neuromuscular function related to diabetic polyneuropathy in patients with type 2 diabetes...
- [Pharmaceutical therapy of diabetes mellitus type 2]K Laubner
Abteilung Innere Medizin II, Schwerpunkt Endokrinologie und Diabetologie, Universitatsklinikum Freiburg, Freiburg, Deutschland
Internist (Berl) 48:297-308; quiz 309. 2007..5%, insulin therapy is required either in combination with OADs as a bedtime regimen or as intensive insulin therapy using both basal and short-term acting insulins...
- Leptin effects on pancreatic beta-cell gene expression and functionJochen Seufert
Division of Metabolism, Medizinische Poliklinik, University of Wuerzburg, Wuerzburg, Germany
Diabetes 53:S152-8. 2004..quot; This leptin resistance at the level of the pancreatic beta-cell may contribute to dysregulation of the adipo-insular axis and promote the development of hyperinsulinemia and manifest type 2 diabetes in overweight patients...