Affiliation: University of Heidelberg
- Spectrophotometric microassay for delta-aminolevulinate dehydratase in dried-blood spots as confirmation for hereditary tyrosinemia type IA Schulze
Division of Metabolic and Endocrine Diseases, University Children s Hospital, Im Neuenheimer Feld 150, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Clin Chem 47:1424-9. 2001..We developed a semiquantitative assay based on inhibition of delta-aminolevulinate dehydratase (ALA-D) by succinylacetone...
- Accurate measurement of free carnitine in dried blood spots by isotope-dilution electrospray tandem mass spectrometry without butylationAndreas Schulze
Division of Metabolic and Endocrine Diseases, Department of General Pediatrics, University Children s Hospital, Im Neuenheimer Feld 153, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Clin Chim Acta 335:137-45. 2003..To test the feasibility of free carnitine (FC) determination in dried blood spot specimens (DBS) by stable isotope-dilution electrospray-ionisation tandem mass spectrometry (MS/MS)...
- Creatine deficiency syndromesAndreas Schulze
Division of Metabolic and Endocrine Diseases, University Children s Hospital, Heidelberg, Germany
Mol Cell Biochem 244:143-50. 2003..The study of creatine deficiency syndromes and their comparative consideration contributes to the better understanding of the pathophysiological role of creatine and other guanidino compounds in man...
- Lack of creatine in muscle and brain in an adult with GAMT deficiencyAndreas Schulze
Division of Metabolic and Endocrine Diseases, Department of General Pediatrics, University Children s Hospital, Heidelberg, Germany
Ann Neurol 53:248-51. 2003....
- Expanded newborn screening for inborn errors of metabolism by electrospray ionization-tandem mass spectrometry: results, outcome, and implicationsAndreas Schulze
Division of Metabolic and Endocrine Diseases, Department of General Pediatrics, University Children s Hospital, Heidelberg, Germany
Pediatrics 111:1399-406. 2003....
- Evaluation of 6-year application of the enzymatic colorimetric phenylalanine assay in the setting of neonatal screening for phenylketonuriaAndreas Schulze
Division of Metabolic and Endocrine Diseases, University Children s Hospital, Im Neuenheimer Feld 150, 69120, Heidelberg, Germany
Clin Chim Acta 317:27-37. 2002..The aim of this study was to evaluate an enzymatic phenylalanine (Phe) determination in the whole context spanning from the initial investigation over the recall period, up to the confirmation or exclusion of the disease...
- Improving treatment of guanidinoacetate methyltransferase deficiency: reduction of guanidinoacetic acid in body fluids by arginine restriction and ornithine supplementationA Schulze
Department of General Pediatrics, Division of Metabolic and Endocrine Diseases, University Children s Hospital, Im Neuenheimer Feld 150, Heidelberg, 69120, Germany
Mol Genet Metab 74:413-9. 2001..This indicates for the first time that GAA may exert an important epileptogenic potential in man. Arginine restriction in combination with ornithine supplementation represents a new and rationale therapeutic approach in GAMT deficiency...
- Hepatitis B virus hepatotropism is mediated by specific receptor recognition in the liver and not restricted to susceptible hostsAlexa Schieck
Department of Nuclear Medicine, University Hospital Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Hepatology 58:43-53. 2013..In addition, this provides the basis for the application of the peptides as vehicles for hepatocyte-specific drug targeting...
- A method for quantitative acylcarnitine profiling in human skin fibroblasts using unlabelled palmitic acid: diagnosis of fatty acid oxidation disorders and differentiation between biochemical phenotypes of MCAD deficiencyJürgen G Okun
Division of Metabolic and Endocrine Diseases, Department of General Pediatrics, University Children s Hospital, Im Neuenheimer Feld 150, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Biochim Biophys Acta 1584:91-8. 2002..In conclusion, this novel technique is a powerful tool for the investigation of fatty acid oxidation disorders under standardized conditions in fibroblasts...
- Acylcarnitine profiles of preterm infants over the first four weeks of lifeJochen Meyburg
Department of Neonatology, Division of Metabolic and Endocrine Diseases, University Children s Hospital, Im Neuenheimer Feld 150, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Pediatr Res 52:720-3. 2002..However, the commonly used metabolite ratios should still allow the detection of inborn errors of metabolism...
- Very low birth weight preterm infants are at risk for hypoglycemia once on total enteral nutritionAlex Staffler
Division of Neonatology, University Children s Hospital, Perinatal Center Grosshadern, Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich, Germany
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 26:1337-41. 2013..To determine the occurrence of hypoglycemic episodes in very low birth weight preterm infants under total enteral nutrition and identify potential risk factors...
- Solid-phase synthesis of the lipopeptide Myr-HBVpreS/2-78, a hepatitis B virus entry inhibitorAlexa Schieck
Department of Nuclear Medicine, University Hospital Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 400, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Molecules 15:4773-83. 2010..It was possible to minimize the occurrence of side products due to the positive effects related to higher reaction temperature. In conclusion, the peptide is accessible by stepwise SPPS without the necessity of segment coupling...
- Diagnosis and therapeutic monitoring of inborn errors of creatine metabolism and transport using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry in urine, plasma and CSFDorothea Haas
Department of General Pediatrics, Division of Inherited Metabolic Diseases, University Children s Hospital Heidelberg, Germany
Gene 538:188-94. 2014..Therefore this method is applicable for high-throughput approaches for diagnosis and follow-up of inborn errors of creatine metabolism and transport. ..
- Hepatocyte polarization is essential for the productive entry of the hepatitis B virusAndreas Schulze
Department of Infectious Diseases, Molecular Virology, Otto Meyerhof Zentrum, University Hospital Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Hepatology 55:373-83. 2012..However, disruption of cell-cell junctions allowed the additional infection of cells that do not display a PHH-like polarization...
- Comparison of lung accumulation of cationic liposomes in normal rats and LPS-treated ratsSusanne Herber-Jonat
Division of Neonatology, University Children s Hospital, Perinatal Center, Ludwig Maximilian University Munich, Grosshadern, Marchioninistr 15, 81377 Munich, Germany
Inflamm Res 60:245-53. 2011..Thereafter, a bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) was done and the lungs were perfused with saline and formalin. Accumulation of liposomes was assessed by quantitative confocal microscopy and determination of rhodamine-content in lung tissue...
- Proteoglycans act as cellular hepatitis delta virus attachment receptorsOscar Lamas Longarela
Department of Infectious Diseases, Molecular Virology, University Hospital Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Baden Wurttemberg, Germany
PLoS ONE 8:e58340. 2013..In summary, HDV infection, comparable to HBV infection, requires binding to the carbohydrate side chains of hepatocyte-associated heparan sulfate proteoglycans as attachment receptors, while P2XR are not actively involved...
- Effects of valproate on acylcarnitines in children with epilepsy using ESI-MS/MSTamara Werner
Department of Pediatrics, University Children s Hospital, Mannheim, Germany
Epilepsia 48:72-6. 2007..To determine the influence of valproate (VPA) treatment on acylcarnitines in children with epilepsy...
- Fine mapping of pre-S sequence requirements for hepatitis B virus large envelope protein-mediated receptor interactionAndreas Schulze
Department of Infectious Diseases, Molecular Virology, Otto Meyerhof Zentrum, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 350, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Virol 84:1989-2000. 2010..It requires an N-terminal acyl moiety and a highly conserved sequence that is present in primate but not rodent or avian hepadnaviruses, indicating different entry pathways for the different family members...
- Electrical impedance tomography is able to track changes in respiratory function in endotoxin-challenged rodentsSusanne Herber-Jonat
Division of Neonatology, University Children s Hospital, Perinatal Center, Ludwig Maximilian University Munich, Grosshadern, Munich, Marchioninistr 15, Munich D 81377, Germany
Respirology 14:680-8. 2009..Electrical impedance tomography (EIT) has been suggested as a technique for quantifying lung inflammation in ALI. However, EIT has not been evaluated in a rodent model of ALI...
- Hepatitis B virus infection initiates with a large surface protein-dependent binding to heparan sulfate proteoglycansAndreas Schulze
Department of Molecular Virology, Otto Meyerhof Zentrum OMZ, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Hepatology 46:1759-68. 2007..This interaction initializes the multistep entry process of HBV and cannot be bypassed by alternative routes...
- Hypoxia decreases cellular ATP demand and inhibits mitochondrial respiration of a549 cellsKristin Heerlein
Medical Clinic VII, Sports Medicine, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 32:44-51. 2005..Our findings indicate that inhibition of the Na/K-ATPase by hypoxia contributes little to energy preservation in hypoxia. It remains unclear to what extent hypoxic inhibition of mitochondrial metabolism affects ATP-consuming processes...
- Inactivation of the glucocorticoid receptor in hepatocytes leads to fasting hypoglycemia and ameliorates hyperglycemia in streptozotocin-induced diabetes mellitusChristian Opherk
Molecular Biology of the Cell I, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, University Children s Hospital, Heidelberg, Germany
Mol Endocrinol 18:1346-53. 2004..These findings show the essential role of GR function in liver glucose metabolism during fasting and in diabetic mice and indicate that liver-specific GC antagonists could be beneficial in control of diabetic hyperglycemia...
- Health implications of creatine: can oral creatine supplementation protect against neurological and atherosclerotic disease?Markus Wyss
Roche Vitamins AG, Biotechnology Department VFB, Building 203 113A, CH 4070 Basel, Switzerland
Neuroscience 112:243-60. 2002..g., coronary heart disease or cerebrovascular disease. Although compelling, these results require further confirmation in clinical studies in humans, together with a thorough evaluation of the safety of oral creatine supplementation...
- Survival and major neonatal complications in infants born between 22 0/7 and 24 6/7 weeks of gestation (1999-2003)Susanne Herber-Jonat
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Divisison of Neonatology, Klinikum Grosshadern, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Am J Obstet Gynecol 195:16-22. 2006..This study was undertaken to compare survival and morbidity until discharge in infants born after 22-23 versus 24 weeks' gestational age (GA)...
- Frequencies of inherited organic acidurias and disorders of mitochondrial fatty acid transport and oxidation in GermanyGeorg F Hoffmann
Department of Paediatrics, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Eur J Pediatr 163:76-80. 2004..These conditions were related to considerable morbidity and mortality. Considerations for their inclusion in expanded newborn screening programmes might be warranted...
- Maternal and neonatal morbidity of emergency caesarean sections with a decision-to-delivery interval under 30 minutes: evidence from 10 yearsPeter Hillemanns
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Klinikum Grosshadern, 81377 Munich, Germany
Arch Gynecol Obstet 268:136-41. 2003..The purpose was to investigate the decision-to-delivery interval for emergency caesarean section and to compare the perioperative maternal and neonatal morbidity to that of intrapartum non-emergent caesarean section...
- Staphylococcal scalded skin syndrome related to an exfoliative toxin A- and B-producing strain in preterm infantsEsther Rieger-Fackeldey
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Division of Neonatology, Klinikum Grosshadern, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Marchioninistrasse 15, 81377 Munich, Germany
Eur J Pediatr 161:649-52. 2002..Purified toxins were injected into newborn mice to confirm toxin activity. Besides the strain isolated from the first patient, only one isolate from the medical staff was positive for the genes encoding ETA and ETB...
- Denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis for the molecular characterization of six patients with guanidinoacetate methyltransferase deficiencyChike B Item
Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital and General Hospital AKH, Währingerstrasse 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Clin Chem 48:767-9. 2002
- Creatine and creatine kinase in health and disease--a bright future ahead?Markus Wyss
DSM Nutritional Products Ltd, Biotechnology R and D, Bldg 203 17B, P O Box 3255, CH 4002 Basel, Switzerland
Subcell Biochem 46:309-34. 2007....
- Pre-symptomatic treatment of creatine biosynthesis defectsAndreas Schulze
University of Toronto, Department of Paediatrics, Division of Clinical and Metabolic Genetics, and Research Institute, The Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, ON M5G 1X8, Canada
Subcell Biochem 46:167-81. 2007..Although long-term data are lacking, the results suggest that complete prevention of neurological sequelae in early treated patients could be feasible (Battini et al., 2006; Schulze et al., 2006)...
- Randomized crossover comparison of proportional assist ventilation and patient-triggered ventilation in extremely low birth weight infants with evolving chronic lung diseaseAndreas Schulze
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL, USA
Neonatology 92:1-7. 2007..Refinement of ventilatory techniques remains a challenge given the persistence of chronic lung disease of preterm infants...
- Effect of body temperature on the pattern of spontaneous breathing in extremely low birth weight infants supported by proportional assist ventilationEsther Rieger-Fackeldey
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology Grosshadern, Division of Neonatology, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Marchioninistrasse 15, D 81377 Munich, Germany
Pediatr Res 54:332-6. 2003..This response pattern occurred consistently and is currently of uncertain clinical significance...
- Steroid profiling by tandem mass spectrometry improves the positive predictive value of newborn screening for congenital adrenal hyperplasiaCarla Z Minutti
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:3687-93. 2004..This would prevent unnecessary blood draws, medical evaluations, and stress to families...
- [Child endangerment by maternal alcohol, nicotine and drug abuse]Andreas Schulze
Neonatologie an der Kinik für Geburtshilfe und Frauenheilkunde der Universität München
Kinderkrankenschwester 23:263-7. 2004
- Respiratory gas conditioning in infants with an artificial airwayAndreas Schulze
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Neonatology, Ludwig Maximilian University, Marchioninistrasse 15, D 81377 Munich, Germany
Semin Neonatol 7:369-77. 2002..There is no evidence that conditioning of inspired gas to core body temperature and full water vapour saturation may promote nosocomial respiratory infections...
- Adaptive mechanical backup ventilation for preterm infants on respiratory assist modes - a pilot studySusanne Herber-Jonat
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Neonatology, Klinikum Grosshadern, University of Munich, Marchioninistrasse 15, 81377, Munich, Germany
Intensive Care Med 32:302-8. 2006..The common approach to this problem is a regular conventional mechanical ventilation, which is initiated and withdrawn in an "on/off" function...
- Antecedents of respiratory pauses in extremely low birth weight infants supported by proportional assist ventilationEsther Rieger-Fackeldey
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Division of Neonatology, Klinikum Grosshadern, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Munich, Germany
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 19:49-55. 2006..To determine characteristics of breathing patterns prior to respiratory pauses in extremely low birth weight (ELBW) infants breathing spontaneously under proportional assist ventilation (PAV)...
- Heparin-mediated extracorporeal low density lipoprotein precipitation as a possible therapeutic approach in preeclampsiaYing Wang
Institute of Clinical Chemistry, University Hospital Grosshadern, Marchioninistrasse 15, 81377 Munich, Germany
Transfus Apher Sci 35:103-10. 2006..We conclude that H.E.L.P. apheresis reduced maternal circulating levels of proinflammatory and coagulatory markers and plasma viscosity without overt maternal or neonatal clinical side effects...
- Successful treatment of a guanidinoacetate methyltransferase deficient patient: findings with relevance to treatment strategy and pathophysiologyKrijn T Verbruggen
Beatrix Children s Hospital, University Medical Centre Groningen, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
Mol Genet Metab 91:294-6. 2007..Addition of high dose ornithine to the treatment led to further normalization of plasma GAA, while cerebral Cr and GAA did not improve further...
- Premature infants are less capable of maintaining thermal balance of head and body with increases of thermal environment than with decreasesGeorg Simbruner
Department of Neonatology, Leopold Franzens University, Innsbruck, Tyrol, Austria
Am J Perinatol 22:25-33. 2005..Premature infants are less able to cope with increases in incubator temperature given that rectal and nasopharyngeal temperature change more when environmental temperature is increased...