Affiliation: University of Duisburg-Essen
- Brain response to visual sexual stimuli in heterosexual and homosexual malesThomas Paul
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology and Neuroradiology, University Hospital Essen, Germany
Hum Brain Mapp 29:726-35. 2008..Moreover, the activation pattern found in both groups suggests that stimuli of opposite sexual orientation triggered intense autonomic response and may be perceived, at least to some extent, as aversive...
- Functional brain correlates of heterosexual paedophiliaBoris Schiffer
Department of Forensic Psychiatry, University Hospital Essen, University of Duisburg Essen, Germany
Neuroimage 41:80-91. 2008..Moreover, these findings may suggest a dysfunction (in the functional and effective connectivity) at the cognitive stage of sexual arousal processing...
- Impulsivity-related brain volume deficits in schizophrenia-addiction comorbidityBoris Schiffer
Department of Forensic Psychiatry, University of Duisburg Essen, Virchow str 174, Essen, Germany
Brain 133:3093-103. 2010..However, the relationship between non-planning impulsivity and anterior cingulate and frontopolar grey matter volumes points to a specific structure-function relationship that seems to be impaired in schizophrenia-addiction comorbidity...
- Executive dysfunctions in pedophilic and nonpedophilic child molestersBoris Schiffer
Department of Forensic Psychiatry, Essen, University of Duisburg Essen, Germany Department of Psychology, University of Muenster, Muenster, Germany
J Sex Med 8:1975-84. 2011..Most of the different outcomes can either be explained by the fact that different types of child molesters were examined or by not having accounted for basically confounding factors such as age, education/intelligence, or criminality...
- Disentangling structural brain alterations associated with violent behavior from those associated with substance use disordersBoris Schiffer
Department of Forensic Psychiatry, University of Duisburg Essen, Germany
Arch Gen Psychiatry 68:1039-49. 2011..Thus, alterations in gray matter (GM) volume that have been reported to be correlates of violent behavior and/or psychopathy may instead be related to lifelong substance use disorders (SUDs)...
- Structural brain abnormalities in the frontostriatal system and cerebellum in pedophiliaBoris Schiffer
Department of Forensic Psychiatry, University Hospital Essen, University of Duisburg Essen, Virchowstrasse 174, D 45147 Essen, Germany
J Psychiatr Res 41:753-62. 2007..In this respect these findings may support the hypothesis that there is a shared etiopathological mechanism in all obsessive-compulsive spectrum disorders...
- Brain response to visual sexual stimuli in homosexual pedophilesBoris Schiffer
Department of Forensic Psychiatry, University of Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
J Psychiatry Neurosci 33:23-33. 2008..The objective of this study was to analyze whether brain activation patterns of homosexual pedophiles differed from those of a nonpedophile homosexual control group during visual sexual stimulation...
- The impact of alcohol dependence on social brain functionElke R Gizewski
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, University Hospital Essen, Germany
Addict Biol 18:109-20. 2013..By contrast, mentalizing in schizophrenia (regardless of ALC) may be associated with insular dysfunction as well as a combination of structural and functional deficits in the left vlPFC...