Affiliation: University Hospital
- Phaku P, Lebughe M, Straus L, Peters G, Herrmann M, Mumba D, et al. Unveiling the molecular basis of antimicrobial resistance in Staphylococcus aureus from the Democratic Republic of the Congo using whole genome sequencing. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2016;22:644.e1-5 pubmed publisher..Genotypic and phenotypical antimicrobial susceptibility testing showed high concordance. This encourages the future use of WGS in routine antimicrobial susceptibility testing. ..
- Ehrhardt J, Alabi A, Kremsner P, Rabsch W, Becker K, Foguim F, et al. Bacterial contamination of water samples in Gabon, 2013. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2017;50:718-722 pubmed publisher..The main findings were a contamination rate with coliforms of 13.5% and the detection of a possible environmental reservoir for extended spectrum beta-lactamase-producing bacteria. ..
- Schaumburg F, Pauly M, Schubert G, Shittu A, Tong S, Leendertz F, et al. Characterization of a novel thermostable nuclease homolog (NucM) in a highly divergent Staphylococcus aureus clade. J Clin Microbiol. 2014;52:4036-8 pubmed publisher..aureus. Its deduced amino acid sequences, tertiary structures, and nuclease activities, however, are similar. ..
- Schaumburg F, Onwugamba F, Akulenko R, Peters G, Mellmann A, Köck R, et al. A geospatial analysis of flies and the spread of antimicrobial resistant bacteria. Int J Med Microbiol. 2016;306:566-571 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, flies can carry ESBL-E and LA-MRSA in urban and rural areas. The similar genetic background of isolates from humans and flies points towards a common source. ..
- Schaumburg F, Ngoa U, Kösters K, Kock R, Adegnika A, Kremsner P, et al. Virulence factors and genotypes of Staphylococcus aureus from infection and carriage in Gabon. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2011;17:1507-13 pubmed publisher..aureus isolates from asymptomatic carriers and infections. Of note, S. aureus isolates from Gabon show a very high prevalence of PVL-encoding genes, which exceeds the rates observed for developed countries. ..
- Schaumburg F, Alabi A, von Eiff C, Flamen A, Traore H, Grobusch M, et al. Streptococcus pneumoniae colonization in remote African Pygmies. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2013;107:105-9 pubmed publisher..The unusual serotypes challenge a broad coverage by currently marketed vaccines; the broad antibiotic resistance limits the choice of therapy for S. pneumoniae infection. ..
- Schaumburg F, Biallas B, Ngoune Feugap E, Alabi A, Mordmuller B, Kremsner P, et al. Carriage of encapsulated bacteria in Gabonese children with sickle cell anaemia. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2013;19:235-41 pubmed publisher..Our data provide the basis to guide empiric therapy of invasive diseases caused by S. pneumoniae, Staph. aureus and H. influenza in children in Gabon. ..
- Held J, Gmeiner M, Mordmuller B, Matsiegui P, Schaer J, Eckerle I, et al. Bats are rare reservoirs of Staphylococcus aureus complex in Gabon. Infect Genet Evol. 2017;47:118-120 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, colonization rates of bats with S. aureus and S. schweitzeri were low in our study. Phylogenetic analysis supports an intense geographical dispersal of S. schweitzeri among different mammalian wildlife hosts. ..
- Schaumburg F, Köck R, Friedrich A, Soulanoudjingar S, Ngoa U, von Eiff C, et al. Population structure of Staphylococcus aureus from remote African Babongo Pygmies. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2011;5:e1150 pubmed publisher..Surveillance is needed to control the development of resistance to antibiotic drugs and to assess the impact of the high prevalence of PVL in indigenous populations. ..
- Schaumburg F, Alabi A, Frielinghaus L, Grobusch M, KÃ¶ck R, Becker K, et al. The risk to import ESBL-producing Enterobacteriaceae and Staphylococcus aureus through chicken meat trade in Gabon. BMC Microbiol. 2014;14:286 pubmed publisher..There is a risk to import ESBL E. coli to Gabon but molecular differences between isolates from humans and chicken meat argue against a further dissemination. No MRSA isolate was detected in imported chicken meat. ..
- Schaumburg F, Alabi A, Kokou C, Grobusch M, Köck R, Kaba H, et al. High burden of extended-spectrum ?-lactamase-producing Enterobacteriaceae in Gabon. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2013;68:2140-3 pubmed publisher..The risk of nosocomial transmission of ESBL-E is a challenge in rural Africa and underlines the need for sentinel surveillance in the absence of a broad decentralized microbiology laboratory. ..