Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Cologne
- The role of Dpp and its inhibitors during eggshell patterning in DrosophilaBhupendra V Shravage
Institute of Developmental Biology, University of Cologne, Gyrhofstr 17, D 50931, Germany
Development 134:2261-71. 2007....
- Self-regulatory circuits in dorsoventral axis formation of the short-germ beetle Tribolium castaneumRodrigo Nunes da Fonseca
Institute of Developmental Biology, University of Cologne, Gyrhofstrasse 17, 50931 Cologne, Germany
Dev Cell 14:605-15. 2008..Our results also elucidate how extraembryonic tissues are organized in short-germ embryos, and how patterning information is transmitted from the early embryo to the growth zone...
- Evolution of axis formation: mRNA localization, regulatory circuits and posterior specification in non-model arthropodsRodrigo Nunes da Fonseca
Institute of Developmental Biology, University of Cologne, D 50923, Germany
Curr Opin Genet Dev 19:404-11. 2009..In the end, we try to integrate these new findings with non-model arthropods in a common framework and discuss the major gaps of knowledge that should be addressed by future studies...
- Ancient and diverged TGF-Î² signaling components in Nasonia vitripennisOrhan Ã–zÃ¼ak
Institute for Developmental Biology, University of Cologne, ZÃ¼lpicher Strasse 47b, 50674, Cologne, Germany
Dev Genes Evol 224:223-33. 2014....
- Molecular mechanisms of EGF signaling-dependent regulation of pipe, a gene crucial for dorsoventral axis formation in DrosophilaMartin Technau
Institute for Developmental Biology, Biocenter, University of Cologne, Zuelpicher Straße 47b, 50674, Cologne, Germany
Dev Genes Evol 222:1-17. 2012..Thus, EGF signaling does not act by down-regulating an activator of pipe as previously suggested but rather by activating a repressor. Surprisingly, this repressor acts independent of the common co-repressors Groucho or CtBP...
- Axis formation: microtubules push in the right directionSiegfried Roth
Institute of Developmental Biology, Biocenter, University of Cologne, Zülpicher Strasse 47b, 50674 Cologne, Germany
Curr Biol 22:R537-9. 2012..Live imaging reveals that the Drosophila oocyte nucleus is pushed by growing microtubules to break the radial symmetry of the oocyte and establish dorsoventral polarity...
- The maternal and early embryonic transcriptome of the milkweed bug Oncopeltus fasciatusBen Ewen-Campen
Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology, Harvard University, 16 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
BMC Genomics 12:61. 2011..Within insects, although large volumes of sequence data are available for holometabolous insects, developmental studies of basally branching hemimetabolous insects typically suffer from low rates of gene discovery...
- Symmetry breaking during Drosophila oogenesisSiegfried Roth
Institute of Developmental Biology, University of Cologne, Gyrhofstr 17, D 50923 Cologne, Germany
Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol 1:a001891. 2009..The asymmetric positioning of the oocyte nucleus defines a cortical region of the oocyte where gurken mRNA is localized, thus breaking the dorsal-ventral symmetry of the egg and embryo...
- Siegfried RothSiegfried Roth
Institut fur Entwicklungsbiologie, Universitat zu Koln, Gyrhofstr 17, 50923 Koln, Germany
Curr Biol 14:R734-5. 2004
- Mathematics and biology: a Kantian view on the history of pattern formation theorySiegfried Roth
Institute of Developmental Biology, University of Cologne, Biowissenschaftliches Zentrum, Zülpicher Strasse 47b, 50674 Cologne, Germany
Dev Genes Evol 221:255-79. 2011....
- The origin of dorsoventral polarity in DrosophilaSiegfried Roth
Institut fur Entwicklungsbiologie, Universitat Koln, Gyrhofstrasse 17, 50923 Koln, Germany
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 358:1317-29; discussion 1329. 2003..This leads to a nuclear concentration gradient of Dorsal that specifies the cell types along the DV axis of the embryo...
- Evolution of extracellular Dpp modulators in insects: The roles of tolloid and twisted-gastrulation in dorsoventral patterning of the Tribolium embryoRodrigo Nunes da Fonseca
Institute of Developmental Biology, University of Cologne, Cologne, Gyrhofstrasse 17, D 50931, Germany
Dev Biol 345:80-93. 2010..Thus, our results suggest that the role of Tsg proteins for BMP gradient formation has changed during insect evolution...
- Mechanisms of Gurken-dependent pipe regulation and the robustness of dorsoventral patterning in DrosophilaFrancesca Peri
Institut fur Entwicklungsbiologie, Universitat zu Koln, Gyrhofstr 17, D 50923 Köln, Germany
Development 129:2965-75. 2002..This indicates that potent inhibitory processes prevent pipe dependent Toll activation at the dorsal side of the egg...
- The phylogenetic origin of oskar coincided with the origin of maternally provisioned germ plasm and pole cells at the base of the HolometabolaJeremy A Lynch
Institute for Developmental Biology, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
PLoS Genet 7:e1002029. 2011..We propose that the ancestral role of osk was to connect an upstream network ancestrally involved in mRNA localization and translational control to a downstream regulatory network ancestrally involved in executing the germ cell program...
- The Drosophila KASH domain proteins Msp-300 and Klarsicht and the SUN domain protein Klaroid have no essential function during oogenesisMartin Technau
Institut fur Entwicklungsbiologie, Universitat zu Koln, Koln, Germany
Fly (Austin) 2:82-91. 2008..Germ line nuclear envelope localization of both KASH domain proteins depends on klaroid, the only Drosophila SUN domain homolog expressed in females. Like Msp-300 and klar, klaroid is also dispensable for normal ovarian development...
- EGF signaling and the origin of axial polarity among the insectsJeremy A Lynch
Institute of Developmental Biology, University of Cologne, Zülpicher Strasse 47b, 50674 Cologne, Germany
Curr Biol 20:1042-7. 2010..These results provide insights into the evolutionary origins of the unique strategy employed by insects to establish embryonic axial polarity during oogenesis...
- Patterning the dorsal-ventral axis of the wasp Nasonia vitripennisThomas Buchta
Institute for Developmental Biology, University of Cologne, ZÃ¼lpichstrasse 47b, 50674 Cologne, Germany
Dev Biol 381:189-202. 2013..From this we conclude that many network structures are available to evolution to achieve particular developmental ends. ..
- TGFbeta signaling in Tribolium: vertebrate-like components in a beetleMaurijn van der Zee
Institute for Genetics, University of Cologne, Zulpicher Strasse 47, 50674 Cologne, Germany
Dev Genes Evol 218:203-13. 2008..Tribolium is an excellent model to study the function of these ancestral signaling components in insects...
- The evolution of dorsal-ventral patterning mechanisms in insectsJeremy A Lynch
Institute for Developmental Biology, University of Cologne, 50674 Cologne, Germany
Genes Dev 25:107-18. 2011..Here, we review recent progress made in this field, compare our emerging molecular understanding to classical embryological experiments, and suggest future directions of inquiry...
- Sog/Chordin is required for ventral-to-dorsal Dpp/BMP transport and head formation in a short germ insectMaurijn van der Zee
Institut fur Entwicklungsbiologie, Universitat zu Koln, Gyrhofstrasse 17, 50923 Cologne, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:16307-12. 2006..Thus, in Tribolium, the system of BMP and its antagonists is less complex than in Drosophila or vertebrates and combines features from both, suggesting that it might represent an ancestral state...
- Distinct functions of the Tribolium zerknüllt genes in serosa specification and dorsal closureMaurijn van der Zee
Institut fur Entwicklungsbiologie, Universitat zu Koln, Gyrhofstrasse 17, D 50931 Köln, Germany
Curr Biol 15:624-36. 2005..In Drosophila, amnioserosa formation depends on the dorsoventral patterning gene zerknüllt (zen), a derived Hox3 gene...
- Epithelial reorganization events during late extraembryonic development in a hemimetabolous insectKristen A Panfilio
Institute for Developmental Biology, University of Cologne, Gyrhofstrabetae 17, 50931 Cologne, Germany
Dev Biol 340:100-15. 2010..These data also address the long-standing question of the final fate of the amnion: it undergoes apoptosis during dorsal closure and thus is likely to be solely extraembryonic...
- Development: getting into the groove, or evolving off the rails?Kristen A Panfilio
Institute for Developmental Biology, University of Cologne, Biocenter, Zülpicher Straße 47b, 50674 Koln, Germany Electronic address
Curr Biol 23:R1101-3. 2013..A new study identifies a genetic circuit dedicated to canalization in Drosophila melanogaster and shows striking variability in its use in different fly species. ..
- Does the bicoid gradient matter?Siegfried Roth
Institut of Developmental Biology, Biocenter, University of Cologne, Zülpicher Straße 47b, 50674 Koln, Germany
Cell 149:511-2. 2012..In this issue, Chen et al. report discoveries made in the Drosophila embryo that give new insights into how positional information can be produced by patterning gradients...
- A serpin regulates dorsal-ventral axis formation in the Drosophila embryoPetros Ligoxygakis
Genetics Unit, Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QU, UK
Curr Biol 13:2097-102. 2003..Since this serpin has been recently shown to restrain an immune reaction in the blood of Drosophila, it demonstrates that proteolysis can be regulated by the same serpin in different biological contexts...
- Developmental biology: sharp peaks from shallow sourcesHans Meinhardt
Nature 419:261-2. 2002
- Tribolium castaneum twist: gastrulation and mesoderm formation in a short-germ beetleKlaus Handel
Roche Diagnostics GmbH, Nonnenwald 2, 82377 Penzberg, Germany
Dev Genes Evol 215:13-31. 2005....
- Vertebrate Rel proteins exhibit Dorsal-like activities in early Drosophila embryogenesisChristian Prothmann
Adolf Butenandt Institut, Ludwif Maximilians Universität München, Schillerstrasse 44, D 80336 Munich, Germany
Dev Dyn 235:949-57. 2006..Our results suggest the interaction between Rel proteins and their cytoplasmic inhibitors as an important interface of evolutionary adaptation...
- Dorsoventral axis formation in the Drosophila embryo--shaping and transducing a morphogen gradientBernard Moussian
Department of Genetics, Max Planck Institute for Developmental Biology, Spemannstr 35, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Curr Biol 15:R887-99. 2005....
- Drosophila Cornichon acts as cargo receptor for ER export of the TGFalpha-like growth factor GurkenChristian Bökel
Max Planck Institut für molekulare Zellbiologie und Genetik, Dresden, Germany
Development 133:459-70. 2006....
- The genome of the model beetle and pest Tribolium castaneumStephen Richards
Human Genome Sequencing Center, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Nature 452:949-55. 2008..Systemic RNA interference in T. castaneum functions differently from that in Caenorhabditis elegans, but nevertheless offers similar power for the elucidation of gene function and identification of targets for selective insect control...
- Polar transport in the Drosophila oocyte requires Dynein and Kinesin I cooperationJens Januschke
Laboratory of Developmental Biology, Institut Jacques Monod, 2 place Jussieu, 75251 Paris Cedex 05, France
Curr Biol 12:1971-81. 2002....
- Development of Tribolium castaneumSiegfried Roth
Dev Genes Evol 218:115-8. 2008
- Drosophila stathmin: a microtubule-destabilizing factor involved in nervous system formationSylvie Ozon
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U440 Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Institut du Fer a Moulin, 75005 Paris, France
Mol Biol Cell 13:698-710. 2002..We demonstrate for the first time their direct involvement in major biological processes such as development of the reproductive and nervous systems...