Affiliation: University of Munich
- Evaluation of phototoxic properties of fragrancesMarianne Placzek
Department of Dermatology and Allergology, Ludwig Maximilians University Munchen, Germany
Acta Derm Venereol 87:312-6. 2007..We conclude that some, but not all, fragrances exert phototoxic effects in vitro. Assessment of the correlation of the clinical effects of these findings could lead to improved protection of the skin from noxious compounds...
- Ultraviolet B-induced DNA damage in human epidermis is modified by the antioxidants ascorbic acid and D-alpha-tocopherolMarianne Placzek
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Dermatologie und Allergologie, Ludwig Maximillians Universität, Frauenlobstr 9 11, 80337 Munich, Germany
J Invest Dermatol 124:304-7. 2005..After 3 mo of antioxidant administration, significantly less thymine dimers were induced by the UVB challenge, suggesting that antioxidant treatment protected against DNA damage...
- Evaluation of phototoxic properties of antimicrobials used in topical preparations by a photohaemolysis testMarianne Placzek
Klinik und Poliklinik für Dermatologie and Allergologie, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Germany
Acta Derm Venereol 85:13-6. 2005..It is concluded that bronopol and clioquinol exert phototoxic effects in vitro and thus might also cause photosensitization when used on the skin. The clinical significance of this has to be established by further work...
- Perniosis-like tinea corporis caused by Trichophyton verrucosum in cold-exposed individualsM Placzek
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Dermatologie und Allergologie, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, Frauenlobstrasse, D 80337, Munchen, Germany
Mycoses 49:476-9. 2006..Dermatophytosis caused by T. verrucosum can, under certain circumstances, such as frequent exposure to cold or a long-term corticosteroid therapy, mimic the characteristic clinical picture of perniosis, as we demonstrate here...
- Effect of ultraviolet (UV) A, UVB or ionizing radiation on the cell cycle of human melanoma cellsM Placzek
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Dermatologie und Allergologie, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, Munich, Germany
Br J Dermatol 156:843-7. 2007..It is known that both ultraviolet (UV) radiation and ionizing radiation (IR) can activate checkpoints at transitions from G(1) to S phase, from G(2) phase to mitosis and during DNA replication...
- Malignant melanoma of the anal regionJ Heyn
Department of Surgery, Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, Germany
Clin Exp Dermatol 32:603-7. 2007..We report on a 39-year old man who presented with a 5-week history of recurrent prolapse of an anal tumour. The tumour was histologically confirmed to be malignant melanoma...
- [Mastocytosis -- clinical picture and diagnosis]F Rueff
Klinik und Poliklinik für Dermatologie und Allergologie der Universität München
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 131:1616-21. 2006
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia and acne in male patientsK Degitz
Department of Dermatology, Ludwig Maximilian University, Munchen, Germany
Br J Dermatol 148:1263-6. 2003..Disorders of androgen metabolism may influence acne not only in women, but also in men, and these patients may benefit from low-dose glucocorticoid therapy...
- Mastocytosis and Hymenoptera venom allergyFranziska Rueff
Department of Dermatology and Allergology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 6:284-8. 2006..Mastocytosis is a rare disease characterized by increased mast cells in skin and/or internal organs. We evaluate the impact of mastocytosis on diagnosis and treatment of Hymenoptera venom allergy...
- Contact urticaria to giraffe hairThomas Herzinger
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Dermatologie und Allergologie, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, Munchen, Deutschland
Int Arch Allergy Immunol 138:324-7. 2005..Immediate-type hypersensitivity to animal proteins is a common problem in people occupationally exposed to animals...
- Pathophysiology of acneKlaus Degitz
Department of Dermatology and Allergy, University of Munich, Germany
J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 5:316-23. 2007
- Tobacco smoke is phototoxicM Placzek
Klinik und Poliklinik für Dermatologie and Allergologie, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Frauenlobstrasse 9 11, 80337 Munich, Germany
Br J Dermatol 150:991-3. 2004..Both cigarette smoke and ultraviolet (UV) radiation are known to cause changes of the skin which can be regarded as premature ageing...
- Elevated 17-hydroxyprogesterone serum values in male patients with acneMarianne Placzek
Department of Dermatology, Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich, Germany
J Am Acad Dermatol 53:955-8. 2005..In women, androgen disorders are frequently suspected when acne is accompanied by hirsutism or irregularities of the menstrual cycle. In men, however, acne may be the only sign of androgen excess...