B M Pause
Affiliation: University of Kiel
- Reduced olfactory performance in patients with major depressionB M Pause
Department of Psychology, Christian Albrechts University of Kiel, Olshausenstr 62, 24098, Kiel, Germany
J Psychiatr Res 35:271-7. 2001..It is discussed whether this effect can be attributed to the close functional connection between the main olfactory bulb and the amygdala...
- Olfactory information processing during the course of the menstrual cycleB M Pause
Institute of Psychology, Christian Albrechts Universitä, University of Kiel, FRG
Biol Psychol 44:31-54. 1996..Moreover, odors were described more differentially during the ovulatory period. Olfactory sensitivity was correlated positively with the peripheral cortisol level...
- Are androgen steroids acting as pheromones in humans?Bettina M Pause
Institute of Psychology, Christian Albrechts University Kiel, Olshausenstr 62, 24098 Kiel, FRG
Physiol Behav 83:21-9. 2004....
- Positive emotional priming of facial affect perception in females is diminished by chemosensory anxiety signalsBettina M Pause
Institute of Psychology, Christian Albrechts University, Olshausenstr 62, 24098 Kiel, Germany
Chem Senses 29:797-805. 2004....
- Chemosensory event-related potentials (CSERP) as a key to the psychology of odorsB M Pause
Institut fur Psychologie, Christian Albrechts äzu Kiel, Olshausenstr 62, 24098, Kiel, Germany
Int J Psychophysiol 36:105-22. 2000..A link between olfactory and emotional processing has been confirmed by the finding that the P3 elicited by visual stimuli shows similar valence effects...
- Sensitivity to androstenone in female subjects is associated with an altered brain response to male body odorB M Pause
Institute of Psychology, Christian Albrechts Universitat Kiel, Germany
Physiol Behav 68:129-37. 1999..The results indicate that the sensitivity to androstenone in females is associated with a stronger brain response to male body odor...
- Is odor processing related to oral breathing?B M Pause
Department of Psychology, Christian Albrechts Universitat Kiel, Germany
Int J Psychophysiol 32:251-60. 1999..Furthermore, it is concluded that the oral breathing cycle is less important than the nasal breathing cycle for olfactory information transmission...
- Fractionation and bioassay of human odor typesB M Pause
Institute of Psychology, University of Kiel, Germany
Physiol Behav 61:957-61. 1997..The results of gas chromatography indicate a continuous release of volatile constituents in the distillation residue...
- Convergent and divergent effects of odors and emotions in depressionBettina M Pause
Department of Psychology, Christian Albrechts University of Kiel, Kiel, Federal Republic of Germany
Psychophysiology 40:209-25. 2003..We discuss whether functional deviations within the primary olfactory cortex are responsible for the lower olfactory sensitivity, as well as for the altered emotional stimulus processing in MDD patients...
- Attentional modulation of central odor processingK Krauel
Institute of Psychology, Christian Albrechts Universitat zu Kiel, Germany
Chem Senses 23:423-32. 1998..The modulation of the early components suggests that attentional gating in olfaction might already be effective at an early processing level...
- Olfactory event-related potentials in patients with brain tumorsC Daniels
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Kiel, Kiel, Germany
Clin Neurophysiol 112:1523-30. 2001..The aim of the study was to determine how odor processing is altered in patients with unilateral supratentorial brain tumors...
- Chemosensory anxiety signals augment the startle reflex in humansAlexander Prehn
Institute of Psychology, Christian-Albrechts-University, Kiel, FRG, Germany
Neurosci Lett 394:127-30. 2006..018) or cotton pad (p = 0.012). It is concluded that chemosensory anxiety signals may pre-attentively prime defensive behavior...
- Central odor processing in subjects experiencing helplessnessJoachim H Laudien
Department of Psychology, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, FRG, Germany
Brain Res 1120:141-50. 2006..The state effects of helplessness resemble the deviations in the CSERP found in depressed patients, suggesting a general mood effect...
- Induction of empathy by the smell of anxietyAlexander Prehn-Kristensen
Center of Integrative Psychiatry, University of Kiel, Kiel, Germany
PLoS ONE 4:e5987. 2009..Even though the participants could not attentively differentiate the chemosensory stimuli, emotional contagion seems to be effectively mediated by the olfactory system...
- The human brain is a detector of chemosensorily transmitted HLA-class I-similarity in same- and opposite-sex relationsBettina M Pause
Institute of Psychology, Christian Albrechts University Kiel, Olshausenstrasse 62, 24098 Kiel, Germany
Proc Biol Sci 273:471-8. 2006..Such HLA-related chemosignals may contribute to female and male mate choice as well as to male competitive behaviour...
- Context effects on odor processing: an event-related potential studyJoachim H Laudien
Department of Experimental Psychology, Heinrich Heine University of Dusseldorf, FRG
Neuroimage 41:1426-36. 2008..Current source densities were most prominent in the frontal lobe in negatively biased participants. The findings show that expecting to perceive an emotionally significant odor affects the early encoding of odors...
- Amelioration of body odor after intracutaneous axillary injection of botulinum toxin AMarc Heckmann
Department of Dermatology, Ludwig-Maximilian-University, Munich, Germany
Arch Dermatol 139:57-9. 2003..The underlying mechanisms may include interference with skin microbes and denervation of apoeccrine sweat glands, but this remains to be further investigated...