Claus Martin Muth
Affiliation: University of Ulm
- Arterial blood gases during diving in elite apnea diversC M Muth
Division of Pathophysiology and Process Development in Anaesthesia, Department of Anaesthesiology, University Medical School Ulm, Parkstrasse 11, 89073 Ulm, Germany
Int J Sports Med 24:104-7. 2003..5.7/5.9 kPa at the end of the bottom time), probably due to the CO2 storage capacity of the blood. These findings may help to explain why humans can sustain deep and long apnea dives without major increases in respiratory drive...
- [Decompression injuries]C M Muth
Universitätsklinik für Anästhesiologie, Universitat Ulm
MMW Fortschr Med 147:34-5. 2005..The therapy consists of administering, as quickly as possible, 100% oxygen as well as a volume substitution. The treatment is continued in a recompression chamber...
- [Medical aspects of diving in the tropics]C M Muth
Universitätsklinik für Anäthesiologie
MMW Fortschr Med 147:28-32. 2005..Moreover, external otitis occurs more frequently while diving in the tropics. Finally, there is potential danger from the sea inhabitants, primarily from scorpion fishes, Portuguese Man-of-Wars, box jellyfishes as well as cone snails...
- [Diving fitness for scuba divers--what the primary care physician should know]C M Muth
Universitätsklinik für Anästhesiologie, Universitatsklinikum Ulm
MMW Fortschr Med 147:24-8. 2005..In addition, adequate eyesight is important. The German Society of Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine (GTOUM) has drawn up recommendations on the examination of scuba divers to assist the physician (www.gtuem.org)...
- Physiological and clinical aspects of apnea divingClaus Martin Muth
Sektion Anaesthesiologische Pathophysiologie und Verfahrensentwicklung, Universitaetsklinikum, Parkstrasse 11, D 89073 Ulm Donau, Germany
Clin Chest Med 26:381-94, v. 2005..Apnea divers exhibit a fall in heart rate, which can be trained and is an oxygen-conserving effect, but increases the incidence of ventricular arrhythmia...
- Influence of an orally effective SOD on hyperbaric oxygen-related cell damageClaus M Muth
Sektion Anasthesiologische Pathophysiologie und Verfahrensentwicklung, Universitatsklinikum Ulm, D 89073 Ulm, Germany
Free Radic Res 38:927-32. 2004..045). We conclude that an orally effective SOD-wheat gliadin mixture is able to protect against DNA damage, which coincided with reduced blood isoprostane levels, and may therefore be used as an antioxidant...
- [Scuba diving and the heart. Cardiac aspects of sport scuba diving]Claus Martin Muth
Sektion Anasthesiologische Pathophysiologie und Verfahrensentwicklung, Universitätsklinik für Anästhesiologie, Universitat Ulm, Ulm
Herz 29:406-13. 2004..Any history of cardiac disease or abnormalities detected during the routine medical examination should prompt to further evaluation and specialist referral...
- DNA damage after long-term repetitive hyperbaric oxygen exposureMichael Groger
Sektion Anästhesiologische Pathopyhsiologie und Verfahrensentwicklung Universitätsklinikum, Parkstrasse 11, D 89073 Ulm, Germany
J Appl Physiol 106:311-5. 2009..The increased ex vivo HBO-related DNA damage in isolated lymphocytes from these subjects, however, may reflect enhanced susceptibility to oxidative DNA damage...
- Effects of a cantaloupe melon extract/wheat gliadin biopolymer during aortic cross-clampingJochen Kick
Abteilung Thorax und Gefässchirurgie, Universitatsklinikum Ulm, Steinhovelstrasse 9, 89075, Ulm, Germany
Intensive Care Med 33:694-702. 2007....
- Rescue of drowning victims and divers: is mechanical ventilation possible underwater? A pilot studyBernd E Winkler
Department of Anaesthesiology, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Diving Hyperb Med 43:72-7. 2013..Initiation of mechanical ventilation underwater might be considered when an immediate ascent to the surface is impossible or dangerous. The present study evaluated the feasibility of such ventilation underwater...
- Effects of 15-deoxy-Delta12,14-prostaglandin-J2 during hyperdynamic porcine endotoxemiaBalázs Hauser
Sektion Anasthesiologische Pathophysiologie und Verfahrensentwicklung, Universitatsklinikum, Parkstrasse 11, 89073, Ulm, Germany
Intensive Care Med 32:759-65. 2006....
- Interaction of hyperbaric oxygen, nitric oxide, and heme oxygenase on DNA strand breaks in vivoMichael Groger
Sektion Anasthesiologische Pathophysiologie und Verfahrensentwicklung, Universitatsklinikum, 89070 Ulm, Germany
Mutat Res 572:167-72. 2005..We conclude that both HO-1 blockade and excess NO release promote DNA damage during HBO exposure in vivo. The effect of HO-1 inhibition is probably independent of the regulatory function of HO-1 for iNOS...
- Infrared ear thermometry in water-related accidents-not a good choiceClaus Martin Muth
Sektion Anaesthesiologische Pathophysiologie und Verfahrensentwicklung, Universitaetsklinikum Ulm, Germany
J Emerg Med 38:417-21. 2010..06). Our data suggest that in water-related accidents such as near drowning, the values of body (core) temperature obtained via use of infrared ear thermometry are unreliable, and should not be used for clinical decision-making...
- Efficacy of ventilation and ventilation adjuncts during in-water-resuscitation--a randomized cross-over trialBernd E Winkler
Department of Anaesthesiology, University of Ulm, Germany
Resuscitation 84:1137-42. 2013..There has been controversy about IWR amongst emergency and diving physicians for decades. The aim of the present study was assessing the efficacy of IWR...
- Genotoxicity of hyperbaric oxygen and its prevention: what hyperbaric physicians should knowMichael Groger
Researcher at Sektion Anästhesiologische Pathophysiologie und Verfahrensentwicklung, Klinik fur Anasthesiologie, Universitatsklinikum Ulm, Germany
Diving Hyperb Med 38:200-5. 2008....
- Oxylator and SCUBA dive regulators: useful utilities for in-water resuscitationBernd E Winkler
Department of Anaesthesiology, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Emerg Med J 30:579-82. 2013..In water resuscitation has been reported to enhance the outcome of drowning victims. Mouth-to-mouth ventilation during swimming is challenging. Therefore, the efficacy of ventilation utilities was evaluated...
- Should children dive with self-contained underwater breathing apparatus (SCUBA)?Bernd E Winkler
Department of Anaesthesiology, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Acta Paediatr 101:472-8. 2012..Diving with self-contained underwater breathing apparatus (SCUBA) has become a popular recreational activity in children and adolescents. This article provides an extensive review of the current literature...
- Total haemoglobin mass and spleen contraction: a study on competitive apnea divers, non-diving athletes and untrained control subjectsNicole Prommer
Arbeitsbereich Sportmedizin, Universitat, 95440, Bayreuth, Germany
Eur J Appl Physiol 101:753-9. 2007..In contrast to athletes in endurance sports, the trained apnea divers did not present with increased total haemoglobin mass and, hence, no increase in blood oxygen stores...
- Hyperbaric oxygen in systemic inflammatory responseHaim Bitterman
Intensive Care Med 30:1011-3. 2004
- Evolving career of hyperbaric oxygen in sepsis: From augmentation of oxygen delivery to the modulation of the immune responseEnrico Calzia
Crit Care Med 34:2693-5. 2006
- Hyperbaric oxygen and sepsis: time to recognizeClaus Martin Muth
Intensive Care Med 31:1150-2. 2005