Affiliation: University of Essen
- Checklist for the qualitative evaluation of clinical studies with particular focus on external validity and model validityGudrun Bornhöft
Witten Herdecke University, Gerhard Kienle Weg 4, Herdecke, Germany
BMC Med Res Methodol 6:56. 2006..Although tools for its evaluation have been established, there is a lack of awareness of their significance and application. In this article, a comprehensive checklist is presented addressing these relevant criteria...
- [Effects of nutritional factors on haemostasis]A Michalsen
Abteilung Innere Medizin V, Integrative Medizin, Lehrstuhl Naturheilkunde der Universitätsklinik Essen, Am Deimelsberg 34a, 45276 Essen
Hamostaseologie 25:13-7. 2005..In the clinical context, mediterranean diet may exert its beneficial effects through synergistic action on haemostasis, endothelial function and vascular inflammation...
- Incorporation of fasting therapy in an integrative medicine ward: evaluation of outcome, safety, and effects on lifestyle adherence in a large prospective cohort studyAndreas Michalsen
Department of Integrative and Internal Medicine V, Kliniken Essen Mitte, and Complementary and Integrative Medicine of the Alfred Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach Foundation, University Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
J Altern Complement Med 11:601-7. 2005..The aim of this study was to implement fasting therapy in an inpatient integrative medicine ward and to evaluate safety, acceptance, and effects on health-related outcomes and lifestyle adherence...
- Prolonged fasting in patients with chronic pain syndromes leads to late mood-enhancement not related to weight loss and fasting-induced leptin depletionAndreas Michalsen
Department of Internal Medicine V, University Duisburg Essen, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Am Deimelsberg 34 a, 45276 Essen, Germany
Nutr Neurosci 9:195-200. 2006..Our findings suggest that fasting induces specific mood-enhancement. The physiological mediator appears to be neither leptin nor cortisol, the role of other mechanisms has to be further studied...
- Mediterranean diet has no effect on markers of inflammation and metabolic risk factors in patients with coronary artery diseaseA Michalsen
Department of Internal Medicine V, Kliniken Essen Mitte, University Duisburg Essen, Germany
Eur J Clin Nutr 60:478-85. 2006..We therefore investigated the effect of Mediterranean diet on markers of inflammation and metabolic risk factors in patients with treated CAD...
- Rapid stress reduction and anxiolysis among distressed women as a consequence of a three-month intensive yoga programAndreas Michalsen
Department of Integrative and Internal Medicine V, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Chair of Complementary Medicine at the University Duisburg Essen, Germany
Med Sci Monit 11:CR555-561. 2005..We aimed to evaluate potential effects of Iyengar Hatha yoga on perceived stress and associated psychological outcomes in mentally distressed women...
- Mediterranean diet or extended fasting's influence on changing the intestinal microflora, immunoglobulin A secretion and clinical outcome in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia: an observational studyAndreas Michalsen
Kliniken Essen Mitte, Department of Internal and Integrative Medicine, University Duisburg Essen, Am Deimelsberg 34a, 45276 Essen, Germany
BMC Complement Altern Med 5:22. 2005....
- Effects of lifestyle modification on the progression of coronary atherosclerosis, autonomic function, and angina--the role of GNB3 C825T polymorphismAndreas Michalsen
Abteilung Innere Medizin V, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Germany
Am Heart J 151:870-7. 2006....
- Psychological and quality-of-life outcomes from a comprehensive stress reduction and lifestyle program in patients with coronary artery disease: results of a randomized trialAndreas Michalsen
Kliniken Essen Mitte, Chair of Complementary and Integrative Medicine of the University Duisburg Essen, Department of Internal Medicine V and Integrative Medicine, Essen, Germany
Psychother Psychosom 74:344-52. 2005..Given recent significant improvements in cardiac care, we evaluated the current benefit of stress reduction/lifestyle modification on QoL and emotional distress in patients with coronary artery disease (CAD)...
- [Glycotoxins and cellular dysfunction. A new mechanism for understanding the preventive effects of lifestyle modifications]A Michalsen
Abteilung Innere Medizin, Naturheilkunde und Integrative Medizin, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Am Deimelsberg 34a, 45276 Essen, BRD
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 49:773-9. 2006..The clinical impact of low-AGE diets and fasting and the interaction between stress and food intake should be further investigated in controlled trials...
- [Nicotine withdrawal in hospital coworkers: opportunities instead of prohibitions]Andreas Michalsen
Kliniken Essen-Mitte, Abteilung Innere Medizin V, Naturheilkunde und Integrative Medizin, Am Deimelsberg 34 a, 45276 Essen
Pflege Z 56:507-11. 2003
- The short-term effects of fasting on the neuroendocrine system in patients with chronic pain syndromesA Michalsen
Department of Internal Medicine V and Integrative Medicine, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Am Deimelsberg 34 a, 45276 Essen, Germany
Nutr Neurosci 6:11-8. 2003..Our results show that short-term fasting leads to neuroendocrine activation and may suggest that the extent of this response is dependent on the individual metabolic and endocrine state at baseline...
- Effects of short-term modified fasting on sleep patterns and daytime vigilance in non-obese subjects: results of a pilot studyA Michalsen
Department of Internal Medicine V, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Essen, Germany
Ann Nutr Metab 47:194-200. 2003..In terms of evolutionary development, an improved daytime performance during periods of food deprivation could have been beneficial for the success in search for food...
- Impact of stimulation dose and personality on autonomic and psychological effects induced by acupunctureM Backer
Department of Complementary and Integrative Medicine, University of Duisburg Essen, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Germany
Auton Neurosci 170:48-55. 2012..After needle insertion subjects who tend to augment incoming stimuli might show a lack of psychological relaxation when receiving high dose stimulation...
- A functional GNAS promoter polymorphism is associated with altered weight loss during short-term fastingU H Frey
Institut für Pharmakogenetik, Universitatsklinikum, Essen, Germany
Eur J Med Res 13:576-8. 2008..2 +/- 1.2, n = 9; p = 0.0003). The present study reconfirms our earlier reported findings and suggests that GNAS genotypes also influence weight loss during short-term fasting. related to a low vascular density (CD31 expression) in CDC...
- [Alternative and complementary therapies in fibromyalgia syndrome]J Langhorst
Klinik für Innere Medizin V, Naturheilkunde und Integrative Medizin, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Am Deimelsberg 34a, 45276 Essen
Schmerz 22:324-33. 2008..Interdisciplinary S3 level guidelines were devised in cooperation with 8 medical, 2 psychological and 2 patient support groups. Results were elaborated in a multilevel group process...
- [Short-term therapeutic fasting in the treatment of chronic pain and fatigue syndromes--well-being and side effects with and without mineral supplements]A Michalsen
, Naturheilkunde und Integrative Medizin, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Essen
Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd 9:221-7. 2002..There were no serious side effects in both groups. CONCLUSIONS: Short-term fasting in inpatients with pain and stress syndromes is safe and well tolerated, concomitant mineral supplements have no additive benefit...
- [Health-related control belief and quality of life in chronically ill patients after a behavioral intervention in an integrative medicine clinic--an observational study]B Hoffmann
Institut für Medizinische Informatik, Biometrie und Epidemiologie, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Germany
Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd 11:159-70. 2004..The goal is to increase health-related quality of life (QoL) as well as control beliefs and to reduce morbidity in later life...
- [Acupuncture in the treatment of pain--hypothesis to adaptive effects]M Backer
Klinik für Innere Medizin V Naturheilkunde und Integrative Medizin, Essen
Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd 11:335-45. 2004....
- Thermal hydrotherapy improves quality of life and hemodynamic function in patients with chronic heart failureAndreas Michalsen
Kliniken Essen Mitte, Department of Internal Medicine V, Essen, Germany
Am Heart J 146:728-33. 2003..The results of this investigation suggest a beneficial adaptive response to repeated brief cold stimuli in addition to enhanced peripheral perfusion due to thermal hydrotherapy in patients with chronic heart failure...
- Acupuncture in migraine: investigation of autonomic effectsMarcus Backer
Complementary and Integrative Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine V, University of Duisburg Essen, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Germany
Clin J Pain 24:106-15. 2008..As acupuncture has been shown to exhibit considerable autonomic effects, we tested whether the clinical effects of acupuncture in migraine prophylaxis are mediated by changes of the autonomic regulation...
- Effects of mind-body therapy on quality of life and neuroendocrine and cellular immune functions in patients with ulcerative colitisSigrid Elsenbruch
Departement of Medical Psychology, University Clinic of Essen, Essen, Germany
Psychother Psychosom 74:277-87. 2005..The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of mind-body therapy on neuroendocrine and cellular immune measures, health-related quality of life and disease activity in patients with ulcerative colitis (UC) in remission...
- [Complementary treatment of pneumonia with pleural effusion]Thomas Rampp
Kliniken Essen Mitte Knappschafts Krankenhaus, Innere Medizin V Naturheikunde und Integrative Medizin, Essen, Deutschland corrected
Forsch Komplementmed 13:116-8. 2006..The multimodal CAM treatment resulted in a rapid clinical and x-ray resolution of pneumonia, and cantharidin treatment effectively relieved pain. The case and the potential of topical cantharidin in pain syndromes are discussed...
- [Mind-body medicine as a part of German integrative medicine]G Dobos
Stiftungslehrstuhl für Naturheilkunde der Alfried Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach Stiftung, Universitat Duisburg Essen, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Am Deimelsberg 34a, 45276 Essen, BRD
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 49:723-8. 2006..Considering that a growing number of health issues arises due to maladaptive lifestyles, MBM is being identified as a development that supports a shift from increasingly expensive treatments to more cost-effective preventive approaches...
- [Smoking cessation for hospital staff. A controlled intervention study]A Michalsen
, Kliniken Essen-Mitte, Germany
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 127:1742-7. 2002..Supportive mindfulness-based stress reduction may enhance smoking cessation, yet has to be further tested in larger randomised controlled trials...
- Effects of a comprehensive lifestyle modification program on quality-of-life in patients with ulcerative colitis: a twelve-month follow-upJost Langhorst
University of Duisburg Essen, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Germany
Scand J Gastroenterol 42:734-45. 2007....
- Patterns of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) use in patients with inflammatory bowel disease: perceived stress is a potential indicator for CAM useJost Langhorst
University of Duisburg Essen, Department of Internal Medicine, Chair of Complementary and Integrative Medicine, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Am Deimelsberg 34a, D 45276 Essen, Germany
Complement Ther Med 15:30-7. 2007....
- Noninvasive markers in the assessment of intestinal inflammation in inflammatory bowel diseases: performance of fecal lactoferrin, calprotectin, and PMN-elastase, CRP, and clinical indicesJost Langhorst
Department of Internal and Integrative Medicine, Kliniken Essen Mitte, University of Duisburg Essen, Germany
Am J Gastroenterol 103:162-9. 2008....
- Elevated human beta-defensin-2 levels indicate an activation of the innate immune system in patients with irritable bowel syndromeJost Langhorst
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Duisburg Essen, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Essen, Germany
Am J Gastroenterol 104:404-10. 2009..Recent results imply that HBD-2 is expressed in active intestinal inflammation, especially in ulcerative colitis (UC). Our aim was to evaluate fecal measurements of HBD-2 in patients with active UC and IBS, and in healthy controls (HCs)...
- Comparison of 4 neutrophil-derived proteins in feces as indicators of disease activity in ulcerative colitisJost Langhorst
Department of Internal Medicine, Kliniken Essen Mitte, University of Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
Inflamm Bowel Dis 11:1085-91. 2005....
- Leech therapy for symptomatic treatment of knee osteoarthritis: results and implications of a pilot studyAndreas Michalsen
Department of Internal and Integrative Medicine, Kliniken Essen-Mitte, Germany
Altern Ther Health Med 8:84-8. 2002..CONCLUSION: Leech therapy may be an effective treatment for rapid reduction of pain associated with osteoarthritis of the knee. Its efficacy should be tested in larger randomized controlled trials with assessment of expectation bias...
- Amount of systemic steroid medication is a strong predictor for the use of complementary and alternative medicine in patients with inflammatory bowel disease: results from a German national surveyJost Langhorst
Department of Internal Medicine, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Germany
Inflamm Bowel Dis 11:287-95. 2005..To further elucidate this phenomenon, we sent questionnaires to a large sample of IBD patients in Germany to determine the patterns and predictors of their CAM use...
- Effectiveness of leech therapy in osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized, controlled trialAndreas Michalsen
Kliniken Essen-Mitte, Academic Teaching Hospital of the University of Duisburg-Essen, Karl and Veronica Carstens Foundation, and Institute for Medical Informatics, Biometry and Epidemiology, University of Duisburg-Essen, Essen, Germany
Ann Intern Med 139:724-30. 2003..CONCLUSIONS: Leech therapy helps relieve symptoms in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee. The potential of leech therapy for treating osteoarthritis and the pharmacologic properties of leech saliva remain to be clarified...
- [Pain-relieving effect of cantharidin blister on lumbar spinal stenosis]Thomas Rampp
Innere Medizin V, Naturheilkunde und Integrative Medizin, Kliniken Essen Mitte Knappschafts Krankenhaus, Essen, Deutschland
Forsch Komplementmed 16:246-50. 2009..We tested the pain-relieving effect of lumbar cantharidin blisters in a non-randomised controlled pilot study...
- Effectiveness of leech therapy in women with symptomatic arthrosis of the first carpometacarpal joint: a randomized controlled trialAndreas Michalsen
Department of Internal and Integrative Medicine, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Academic Teaching Hospital, Am Deimelsberg 34a, 45276 Essen, Germany
Pain 137:452-9. 2008..A single course of leech therapy is effective in relieving pain, improving disability and QoL for at least 2 months. The potential of leech therapy for treatment of arthritic pain and underlying mechanisms should be further investigated...
- MR colonography without bowel purgation for the assessment of inflammatory bowel diseases: diagnostic accuracy and patient acceptanceJost Langhorst
Department of Internal and Integrative Medicine, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Germany
Inflamm Bowel Dis 13:1001-8. 2007..In addition, patient acceptance was compared with conventional colonoscopy (CC)...
- Functional chronic pain syndromes and naturopathic treatments: neurobiological foundationsFrauke Musial
Alfried Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach Foundation, University of Duisburg Essen, Germany
Forsch Komplementmed 15:97-103. 2008..Further clarification of the mechanisms of action of reflex therapies will support their clinical evidence and add to our understanding of the neurobiology of complementary medicine...
- Effects of rhythmic embrocation therapy with solum oil in chronic pain patients: a prospective observational studyThomas Ostermann
Department of Medical Theory and Complementary Medicine, University of Witten, Germany
Clin J Pain 24:237-43. 2008..The present study evaluates the therapeutic effects of rhythmic embrocation with a lavender/peat extract [Solum Oil (German: Solum Ol)]...
- [Who represents natural and complementary and alternative medicine?]Andreas Michalsen
Forsch Komplementmed 14:272-3. 2007
- Heart rate reduction through lifestyle modificationAndreas Michalsen
Eur Heart J 26:1806-7; author reply 1807-8. 2005
- The effect of Gua Sha treatment on the microcirculation of surface tissue: a pilot study in healthy subjectsArya Nielsen
Beth Israel Medical Center s Continuum Center for Health and Healing, New York, NY, USA
Explore (NY) 3:456-66. 2007..There are case reports in Western literature but no studies on the physiological effects of Gua Sha...
- [Endocannabinoids as molecular instruments of health promotion]Tobias Esch
Studiengang der Integrierenden Gesundheitsförderung, Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften Coburg, Friedrich Streib Str 2, D 96450 Coburg
Med Monatsschr Pharm 29:397-403. 2006..This leads to an interesting research potential, particularly when one considers the long-term effects of applied health promotion and its coupling to motivational neurobiological phenomena...