Affiliation: University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
- Surgical therapy for distant metastases of malignant melanomaT Meyer
Department of Surgery, University Hospital of Erlangen, Germany
Cancer 89:1983-91. 2000..Manifestation of distant metastases in melanoma patients commonly indicates a poor prognosis. The aim of the current study was to examine the role of surgical treatment in these patients...
- Hyperthermic isolated limb perfusion (HILP) in malignant melanoma. Experience with 101 patientsC Knorr
Department of Surgery, University Hospital of Erlangen, Krankenhausstr 12, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Eur J Surg Oncol 32:224-7. 2006..To analyse results with a standardized HILP procedure in terms of response rate, recurrence pattern and complication rate...
- Preoperative chemoradiation in adenocarcinoma of the pancreas. A single centre experience advocating a new treatment strategyH Golcher
Department of Surgery, University of Erlangen, Krankenhausstr 12, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Eur J Surg Oncol 34:756-64. 2008..In conclusion a new treatment strategy was developed using multimodality treatment for pancreatic carcinoma deemed to be resectable by CT-scan...
- Long-term functional outcome after hyperthermic isolated limb perfusion (HILP)C Knorr
Department of Surgery, University of Erlangen, Germany
Int J Hyperthermia 24:409-14. 2008..Postoperative complication rates are acceptable. Only few studies have examined long-term complications. This is the reason why we followed up patients in respect of long-term physical and psychological complications after HILP...
- Neoadjuvant chemotherapy does not increase postoperative complication rate after resection of colorectal liver metastasesS Yedibela
Department of Surgery, University of Erlangen, Krankenhausstr 12, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Eur J Surg Oncol 31:141-6. 2005..This paper discusses, whether neoadjuvant chemotherapy has an impact on the rate of postoperative complications after primary resection of liver metastases from colorectal carcinoma...
- Histological response of peritoneal carcinomatosis after hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemoperfusion (HIPEC) in experimental investigationsJoerg O W Pelz
Department of Surgery, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Germany
BMC Cancer 6:162. 2006..The aim of this study was to evaluate the tumor response of peritoneal carcinomatosis in tumor-bearing rats treated with HIPEC...
- Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemoperfusion (HIPEC) decrease wound strength of colonic anastomosis in a rat modelJ O W Pelz
Department of Surgery, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Krankenhausstrasse 12, 91054, Erlangen, Germany
Int J Colorectal Dis 22:941-7. 2007..The effects of hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemoperfusion (HIPEC) of wound healing after colonic anastomosis were investigated in a rat model...
- Expression of chemoresistance-related genes and heat shock protein 72 in hyperthermic isolated limb perfusion of malignant melanoma: an experimental studyC Knorr
Department of Surgery, University of Erlangen Nurnberg, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
J Oncol 2010:138758. 2010..In contrast to the cytostatic drug, hyperthermia causes a persistent induction of HSP72. Both observations could offer a potential explanation for failure of HILP in malignant melanoma...
- Late locoregional recurrence in rectal carcinomaS Merkel
Department of Surgery, University of Erlangen, Germany
Eur J Surg Oncol 28:716-22. 2002..Locoregional recurrence in rectal carcinoma usually occurs within the first five years of treatment. In recent years we have increasingly diagnosed patients with late locoregional recurrence more than 5 years after primary treatment...
- Testing a new staging system for cutaneous melanoma proposed by the American Joint Committee on CancerS Merkel
Department of Surgery, University of Erlangen, Krankenhausstr 12, D 91054, Erlangen, Germany
Eur J Cancer 38:517-26. 2002..The new staging system includes more detailed information on clinical and pathohistological findings. Nevertheless, it is practicable and enables more patients with excellent prognosis to be identified...
- Implantation of an esophageal squamous cell carcinoma at the site of a percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomyK Volkmer
Department of Surgery, University Hospital of Wuerzburg, Julius Maximilians University Wuerzburg, Germany
Endoscopy 39:E240-1. 2007
- Peritoneal carcinomatosis of colorectal cancer: incidence, prognosis, and treatment modalitiesC Knorr
Department of Surgery, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Krankenhausstrasse 12, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Int J Colorectal Dis 19:181-7. 2004..Intraperitoneal carcinomatosis accounts for 25-35% of recurrences of colorectal cancer. Studies demonstrate that peritoneal carcinomatosis is not necessarily a terminal condition with no options for treatment or cure...
- Detection of human papillomavirus DNA in primary squamous cell carcinoma and metastasesI Nindl
Br J Dermatol 154:797-9. 2006
- Investigations on safety of hyperthermic intraoperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) with Mitomycin CK Schmid
Institute and Outpatient Clinic of Occupational, Social and Environmental Medicine of the University Erlangen Nuremberg, Schillerstrasse 25 29, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Eur J Surg Oncol 32:1222-5. 2006..We re-evaluated possible safety hazards of HIPEC by applying different monitoring strategies...
- A phase I (tumour site-specific) study of carboplatin and temozolomide in patients with advanced melanomaS J Strauss
Mount Vernon Cancer Centre, Rickmansworth Road, Northwood, Middlesex HA6 2RN, UK
Br J Cancer 89:1901-5. 2003..Preliminary information on efficacy demonstrates that it is unlikely that the combination can be given in doses sufficient to improve on the efficacy of temozolomide alone...
- [Sentinel lymph node in melanoma]T Meyer
Klinik und Poliklinik der Universität Erlangen Nürnberg, Erlangen
Chirurg 75:774-80. 2004....
- Sorafenib in advanced hepatocellular carcinomaJosep M Llovet
Barcelona Clinic Liver Cancer Group, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Centro de Investigaciones en Red de Enfermedades Hepáticas y Digestivas Hospital Clínic Barcelona, Barcelona
N Engl J Med 359:378-90. 2008..A preliminary study suggested that sorafenib, an oral multikinase inhibitor of the vascular endothelial growth factor receptor, the platelet-derived growth factor receptor, and Raf may be effective in hepatocellular carcinoma...
- [Changes and complication rate in surgery for thoracic esophageal carcinoma]T Meyer
Chirurgische Klinik und Poliklinik der Universität Erlangen Nuremberg, Erlangen
Zentralbl Chir 128:631-9. 2003..In an analysis over 22 years it was investigated which parameters have changed in the operative treatment of thoracic esophageal carcinoma over time and in how far they have influenced complication rate...
- [The surgeon as a cost factor. Cost analysis exemplified by surgical treatment of rectal carcinoma]T Meyer
Chirurgische Klinik, Poliklinik, Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, Krankenhausstrasse 12, 91054 Erlangen
Chirurg 73:167-73. 2002..Besides quality, costs play an increasingly important role. For rectal carcinoma, the cost of the surgical treatment of the disease (including after-care) was analysed under variable clinical conditions...
- [Regional chemotherapy--perfusion of the extremities]T Meyer
, Krankenhausstrasse 12, 91054 Erlangen
Kongressbd Dtsch Ges Chir Kongr 118:200-4. 2001..The combination of TNF with other drugs than melphalan could possibly further improve results of HILP in sarcoma patients. The high rate of local recurrences of malignant melanoma after HILP poses an unsolved problem yet...
- [Historical development of the surgical treatment of the undescended testicle]T Meyer
Abteilung fur Kinderchirurgie, Chirurgische Universitätsklinik Würzburg
Zentralbl Chir 128:537-42. 2003..This paper gives an overview starting with the historical development of the operative treatment of the undescended testicle and leading up to the modern techniques used today...
- Lymphogranuloma venereum emerging in men who have sex with men in GermanyV Bremer
Robert Koch Institut, Dept for Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Berlin, Germany
Euro Surveill 11:152-4. 2006..Clinicians and MSM may not be sufficiently aware of the disease, and existing efforts to promote awareness and prevention of sexually transmitted infections and HIV need to be strengthened...
- [Modern diagnosis of Chlamydia trachomatis infections]T Meyer
Labor Prof Arndt und Partner, 22339, Lademannbogen 61, Hamburg, Germany
Hautarzt 58:24-30. 2007..Thus, positive results of chlamydia antigen EIAs should be confirmed by another test...
- Importance of human papillomaviruses for the development of skin cancerT Meyer
Institute of Immunology, Pathology and Molecular Biology, Hamburg, Germany
Cancer Detect Prev 25:533-47. 2001..These results indicate that a direct role of HPV in skin cancerogenesis remains questionable. Possibly, mechanisms different from the activity of HPV oncoproteins in genital cancers are involved in skin neoplastic transformation...
- Epithelial malignancies in organ transplant patients: clinical presentation and new methods of treatmentE Stockfleth
Department of Dermatology, Christian Albrechts University, Kiel, Germany
Recent Results Cancer Res 160:251-8. 2002..The drug has been shown to have both antiviral and antitumor activity. Application of immune response activators or modifiers such as imiquimod might be premising in the case of transplant recipients...
- Multifocal distribution of cutaneous human papillomavirus types in hairs from different skin areasA Kohler
Br J Dermatol 156:1078-80. 2007
- A comparison of Hickman line- and Port-a-Cath-associated complications in patients with solid tumours undergoing chemotherapyF Ng
Academic Department of Oncology, Royal Free and University College Medical School, Rowland Hill Street, London, UK
Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 19:551-6. 2007..To compare the complication rates of Hickman lines and Port-a-Caths in patients undergoing infusional chemotherapy for solid tumours...
- The p150 subunit of dynactin (DCTN1) gene in multiple sclerosisC Munch
Department of Neurology, Jewish Hospital, Berlin, Germany
Acta Neurol Scand 116:231-4. 2007..Given the common features of neurodegeneration in multiple sclerosis (MS), FTD and ALS, sequence variants of the DCTN1 gene may be a contributory factor to neurodegeneration in MS...
- Implementation of sustainable sanitation in existing urban areas: long-term strategies for an optimised solutionI Kaufmann
Institute of Urban Water Management, University of Kaiserslautern, Paul Ehrlich Str 14, 67663, Kaiserslautern, Germany
Water Sci Technol 56:115-24. 2007....
- Weekly cisplatin and oral etoposide as treatment for relapsed epithelial ovarian cancerT Meyer
Department of Medical Oncology, Mount Vernon Hospital, Northwood, UK
Ann Oncol 12:1705-9. 2001..CONCLUSION: We conclude that this short but intensive regimen provides worthwhile response rates, even in those patients who would ordinarily be considered refractory to platinum, and has an acceptable toxicity profile...
- Immune response to xenogeneic matrix grafts used in pediatric surgeryT Meyer
Transplantation Immunology Unit, Department of General, Visceral, Vascular and Transplant Surgery, Centre of Operative Medicine, Julius Maximilians University, Oberdurrbacher Strasse 6, Wuerzburg, Germany
Eur J Pediatr Surg 17:420-5. 2007..The aim of our study was to evaluate the inflammatory response and tensile strength after xenogeneic matrix (Lyoplant) implantation compared to the more widely used synthetic polypropylene matrix...
- [Elective termination of respiratory therapy in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis]T Meyer
Neurologische Klinik und Poliklinik, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Augustenburger Platz 1, Berlin, Germany
Nervenarzt 79:684-90. 2008..Yet there are few systematic investigations of the withdrawal of ventilation therapy...
- Alpha-fetoprotein and human chorionic gonadotrophin-beta as prognostic markers in neuroendocrine tumour patientsT Shah
Neuroendocrine Tumour Unit, Centre for Gastroenterology, Royal Free Hospital, Pond Street, London, NW3 2QG, UK
Br J Cancer 99:72-7. 2008..They also correlate with chromogranin-A, which is known to be a marker of tumour burden and to have prognostic value. Thus AFP and hCGbeta are clinically important in NETs and when elevated are poor prognostic markers...
- Alveolar deposition of monodisperse aerosol particles in the lung of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseP Brand
Clinical Research Group Aerosols in Medicine of the GSF Institute for Inhalation Biology, Gauting, Germany
Exp Lung Res 28:39-54. 2002..Due to controlled slow and deep inhalations, alveolar deposition was as much as 50%. Therefore, SBRD can be considered as an easy tool to study alveolar deposition in patients...
- Regulation of microglia by CD4+ and CD8+ T cells: selective analysis in CD45-congenic normal and Toxoplasma gondii-infected bone marrow chimerasD Schluter
Institut für Med Mikrobiologie und Hygiene, Universität sklinikum Mannheim, Universitat Heidelberg, Germany
Brain Pathol 11:44-55. 2001..These findings demonstrate a specific regulation of microglia by T lymphocytes during the course of TE...
- Behcet's disease with life-threatening haemoptoe and pulmonary aneurysms: complete remission after infliximab treatmentK Baki
Ann Rheum Dis 65:1531-2. 2006
- Successful treatment of multiple actinic keratoses in organ transplant patients with topical 5% imiquimod: a report of six casesC Ulrich
Department of Dermatology, University of Humboldt, Schittenhelmstrasse 7, Berlin, Germany
Br J Dermatol 155:451-4. 2006..Impaired wound healing and high recurrence rates in immunocompromised patients treated with destructive therapies such as cryosurgery or topical 5-fluorouracil represent frequently known complications...
- Low incidence of posttransplant lymphoproliferative disease in children treated with low-dose immunosuppression after liver transplantationRainer Ganschow
Department of Pediatrics, Pediastric Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Hamburg, Martinistrasse 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Transplant Proc 34:1961-2. 2002
- [Uremic patients--late referral, early death]V Schwenger
Medizinische Universitäts Klinik Heidelberg
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 128:1216-20. 2003..g. lack of vascular access when dialysis has to be started as well as longer hospitalisation and have also a higher risk of early death. No data on these points are available from Germany...
- 5-HT1A responsivity in patients with panic disorder before and after treatment with aerobic exercise, clomipramine or placeboAndreas Broocks
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Lubeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, 23538 Lubeck, Germany
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 13:153-64. 2003..In conclusion, our results demonstrate that effective treatment of panic disorder has divergent effects on the psychological, neuroendocrine and temperature responses to ipsapirone...
- High rate of constitutional chromosomal rearrangements in apparently sporadic ALST Meyer
Department of Neurology, Charite University Hospital, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Neurology 60:1348-50. 2003..The high rate of constitutional aberrations (5.9%) suggests that ALS is, in part, associated with recombination-based rearrangements of genomic sequences...
- Viral warts in organ transplant recipients: new aspects in therapyT Schmook
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Charite, Schumannstrasse 20 21, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
Br J Dermatol 149:20-4. 2003..A promising novel therapeutic agent is imiquimod, an immune response modifier. Clinical efficacy of imiquimod has been observed for different skin lesions, including viral warts in both immunocompetent and immunosuppressed patients...
- Cutaneous precancers in organ transplant recipients: an old enemy in a new surroundingC Ulrich
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Charite, Schumannstrasse 20 21, D 10117, Berlin, Germany
Br J Dermatol 149:40-2. 2003..As reduction of the immunosuppressive therapy is rarely practicable, other terms of prophylaxis and treatment, such as immune response modifiers, have to be considered...
- Familial ALS in Germany: origin of the R115G SOD1 mutation by a founder effectS Niemann
Institute of Human Genetics, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 75:1186-8. 2004..Genotyping with markers from the SOD1 locus revealed a common haplotype and shared allelic characteristics in these patients. These findings suggest that the R115G mutation in the German population originates from a common founder...
- Imatinib: a selective tyrosine kinase inhibitorP W Manley
Novartis Pharma Ltd, Basel, Switzerland
Eur J Cancer 38:S19-27. 2002..In this paper, the relationship between molecular biology and drug discovery methods, as utilized for the identification of anticancer drugs, will be illustrated...
- Repeated detection of lymphogranuloma venereum caused by Chlamydia trachomatis L2 in homosexual men in HamburgT Meyer
Sex Transm Infect 81:91-2. 2005
- [Assessment of the ethical consequences of genotype-based pharmacotherapy]T Meyer
Forschungsinstitut fur Molekulare Pharmakologie, Berlin Buch, Germany
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 127:2524-6. 2002
- [Perceptions of quality of life in schizophrenic patients]T Meyer
Universitatsklinikum Schleswig Holstein, Campus Lubeck, Institut für Sozialmedizin
Gesundheitswesen 67:120-3. 2005....
- [Missing data in the somatisation subscale of the scl-90-R due to a 'checklist effect': occurrence in different surveys and results of various imputation methods]O Mittag
Institut für Sozialmedizin, Universitatsklinikum Schleswig Holstein, Campus Lubeck
Gesundheitswesen 67:155-8. 2005..3 % to 0.4 %. Ignoring the "checklist-effect" would overestimate the symptom level. Possible explanations for the effect are discussed. However, the validity of this effect has yet to be proven via methodological studies...
- Peak oxygen uptake. Myth and truth about an internationally accepted reference valueT Meyer
Institut für Sport und Präventivmedizin, Universität des Saarlandes Campus, Geb 39 1, 66123 Saarbrucken, Germany
Z Kardiol 94:255-64. 2005..It is evident that failure to strictly follow such recommendations might result in misleading ergometric findings and, thus, in over- or underestimation of endurance capacity and/ or training effects...
- Clinical evaluation of 5-S-cysteinyldopa testing using a new and optimized detection system as a tumour marker for malignant melanomaT Meyer
IPM Hamburg, Germany
Melanoma Res 12:471-7. 2002..In conclusion, our improved analytical technique provides a high sensitivity in all stages of the disease and represents a useful technique for monitoring melanoma patients...
- [Predicting gainful employment in a population sample of 4225 statutory pension insurance members covering a prognostic period of five years using a brief subjective prognostic employment scale (SPE Scale)]O Mittag
Institut für Sozialmedizin, Universitätsklinikum Schleswig Holstein Campus Lübeck
Gesundheitswesen 68:294-302. 2006..We now wanted to explore whether the SPE-Scale allows a prediction of vocational outcomes (early retirement) in the population sample over longer periods of time...
- [Skin diseases in organ transplant patients]C Ulrich
Klinik fur Dermatologie, Venerologie und Allergologie, Charite, Humboldt Universitat Berlin, Germany
Hautarzt 53:524-33. 2002..The rapidly growing numbers of allograft recipients as well as the rising long term survival rates of these patients demand the provision of high quality interdisciplinary and dermatological care in this field...
- [Intrapancreatic accessory spleen: a differential diagnosis of pancreatic tumour]T Meyer
Chirurgische Universitatsklinik und Poliklinik, Wurzburg
Zentralbl Chir 132:73-6. 2007..Only in 1-2% they are located in the pancreatic tail. We report a rare case of intrapancreatic accessory spleen which radiologically mimicked a tumor in the tail of the pancreas...