Affiliation: University of Bielefeld
- Improved photobiological H2 production in engineered green algal cellsOlaf Kruse
Department of Biology VIII, Molecular Cell Physiology, University Bielefeld, 33501 Bielefeld, Germany
J Biol Chem 280:34170-7. 2005..Stm6 therefore represents an important step toward the development of future solar-powered H2 production systems...
- Photosynthesis: a blueprint for solar energy capture and biohydrogen production technologiesOlaf Kruse
University of Bielefeld, Department of Biology, 33501 Bielefeld, Germany
Photochem Photobiol Sci 4:957-70. 2005....
- Cysteine modification of a specific repressor protein controls the translational status of nucleus-encoded LHCII mRNAs in ChlamydomonasLutz Wobbe
Department of Biology, University of Bielefeld, Algae BioTech Group, Universitatsstrasse 25, D 33615 Bielefeld, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:13290-5. 2009..In summary, this work is an example that cytosolic translation of nucleus encoded photosynthetic genes is regulated via a reversible cysteine-based redox switch in a RNA-binding translation repressor protein...
- Reconstruction of the lipid metabolism for the microalga Monoraphidium neglectum from its genome sequence reveals characteristics suitable for biofuel productionChristian Bogen
Department of Biology Center for Biotechnology, Bielefeld University, Universitätsstrasse 27, Bielefeld 33615, Germany
BMC Genomics 14:926. 2013..87) was investigated in this work as a potential feedstock for biofuel production. The genome was sequenced, annotated, and key enzymes for triacylglycerol formation were elucidated...
- Microalgal hydrogen productionOlaf Kruse
Department of Biology Center for Biotechnology CeBiTec, Bielefeld University, 33615 Bielefeld, Germany
Curr Opin Biotechnol 21:238-43. 2010..This article reviews recent advances made and highlights key areas for further development as part of a strategy of establishing economically viable hydrogen production systems...
- Time-course global expression profiles of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii during photo-biological H₂ productionAnh Vu Nguyen
Department of Algae Biotechnology and Bioenergy, Faculty of Biology, Bielefeld University, Bielefeld, Germany
PLoS ONE 6:e29364. 2011..By combining our array data with previously published metabolomics data we can now explain some of the phenotypic characteristics which lead to an elevated H₂ production in stm6glc4...
- Identification of Monoraphidium contortum as a promising species for liquid biofuel productionChristian Bogen
Bielefeld University, Faculty of Biology, Center for Biotechnology, Bielefeld, Germany
Bioresour Technol 133:622-6. 2013..Neutral lipid production was strongly induced in M. contortum by nitrogen deficient conditions and accumulated to up to 20.4±2.2% of DW...
- New insights into Chlamydomonas reinhardtii hydrogen production processes by combined microarray/RNA-seq transcriptomicsJörg Toepel
Algae Biotechnology and Bioenergy Group, Department of Biology Center for Biotechnology, Bielefeld University, Bielefeld, Germany
Plant Biotechnol J 11:717-33. 2013..RNA-seq additionally allowed a detailed time-dependent study of gene expression and determination of new genes involved in the hydrogen production process. ..
- Ice recrystallization inhibition mediated by a nuclear-expressed and -secreted recombinant ice-binding protein in the microalga Chlamydomonas reinhardtiiKyle J Lauersen
Center for Biotechnology CeBiTec, Faculty of Biology, Bielefeld University, Universitätsstrasse 27, 33615, Bielefeld, Germany
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 97:9763-72. 2013..The incorporation of the recombinant LpIBP into a model gas hydrate offers the promise that algal production may eventually find application as a "green" hydrate inhibitor. ..
- Efficient recombinant protein production and secretion from nuclear transgenes in Chlamydomonas reinhardtiiKyle J Lauersen
Center for Biotechnology CeBiTec, Faculty of Biology, Bielefeld University, Universitätsstrasse 27, 33615 Bielefeld, Germany
J Biotechnol 167:101-10. 2013..We conclude that this new expression system will be a valuable tool for many heterologous protein expression applications from C. reinhardtii in the future...
- The interplay of proton, electron, and metabolite supply for photosynthetic H2 production in Chlamydomonas reinhardtiiAnja Doebbe
Algae Biotech and Bioenergy Group, Department of Biology, Center for Biotechnology, Bielefeld University, 33615 Bielefeld, Germany
J Biol Chem 285:30247-60. 2010..reinhardtii have been identified as potential targets for metabolic engineering to further enhance substrate supply for the hydrogenase(s) in the chloroplast...
- Protein arginine methylation modulates light-harvesting antenna translation in Chlamydomonas reinhardtiiOlga Blifernez
Department of Algae Biotechnology and Bioenergy, Faculty of Biology, Bielefeld University, D 33615 Bielefeld, Germany
Plant J 65:119-30. 2011..In addition, we could show that NAB1 activity regulation by arginine methylation operates independently from cysteine-based redox control, which has previously been shown to control the activity of NAB1...
- Cellulose degradation and assimilation by the unicellular phototrophic eukaryote Chlamydomonas reinhardtiiOlga Blifernez-Klassen
Department of Biology, Algae Biotechnology and Bioenergy Center for Biotechnology CeBiTec, Bielefeld University, 33615 Bielefeld, Germany
Nat Commun 3:1214. 2012..Phototrophic microbes like C. reinhardtii may thus serve as biocatalysts for cellulosic biofuel production...
- Functional integration of the HUP1 hexose symporter gene into the genome of C. reinhardtii: Impacts on biological H(2) productionAnja Doebbe
Department of Biology, Algae BioTech Group, University Bielefeld, Bielefeld, Germany
J Biotechnol 131:27-33. 2007..It also opens new perspectives on future strategies for improving bio-H(2) production efficiency under natural day/night regimes and for using sugar waste material for energy production in green algae as photosynthetic catalysts...
- The metagenome of a biogas-producing microbial community of a production-scale biogas plant fermenter analysed by the 454-pyrosequencing technologyAndreas Schluter
Lehrstuhl fur Genetik, Universitat Bielefeld, D 33594 Bielefeld, Germany
J Biotechnol 136:77-90. 2008..Metagenome sequence data from a biogas-producing microbial community residing in a fermenter of a biogas plant provide the basis for a rational approach to improve the biotechnological process of biogas production...
- Construction and evaluation of a whole genome microarray of Chlamydomonas reinhardtiiJörg Toepel
Algae Biotechnology and Bioenergy, Dept, of Biology, Center for Biotechnology CeBiTec, Bielefeld University, 33615 Bielefeld, Germany
BMC Genomics 12:579. 2011..Based on the completed annotation of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii a new microarray on an Agilent platform was designed using an extended JGI 3.1 genome data set which included 15000 transcript models...
- Integration of carbon assimilation modes with photosynthetic light capture in the green alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtiiHanna Berger
a Bielefeld University, Faculty of Biology, Center for Biotechnology CeBiTec, Universitätsstrasse 27, 33615, Bielefeld, Germany
Mol Plant 7:1545-59. 2014..We depict a regulatory circuit operating on distinct timescales and in different cellular compartments to fine-tune light-harvesting in photoheterotrophic eukaryotes...
- Targeted expression of nuclear transgenes in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii with a versatile, modular vector toolkitKyle J Lauersen
Faculty of Biology, Center for Biotechnology CeBiTec, Bielefeld University, Universitätsstrasse 27, 33615, Bielefeld, Germany
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 99:3491-503. 2015..Due to its strategic design, this vector system can quickly be adapted to individual tasks and should therefore be of great use to address specific scientific questions requiring nuclear recombinant protein expression in C. reinhardtii. ..
- Translational control of photosynthetic gene expression in phototrophic eukaryotesLutz Wobbe
Algae BioTech Group, Department of Biology, University of Bielefeld, Universitatsstrasse 25, D 33615 Bielefeld, Germany
Physiol Plant 133:507-15. 2008..This review summarizes the yet known paradigms of translation control in chloroplast and cytosol of photosynthetic eukaryotes...
- NAB1 is an RNA binding protein involved in the light-regulated differential expression of the light-harvesting antenna of Chlamydomonas reinhardtiiJan H Mussgnug
Department of Biology Molecular Cell Physiology, University of Bielefeld, Germany
Plant Cell 17:3409-21. 2005..The similarity of NAB1 and FRGY2 of Xenopus implies the existence of similar RNA-masking systems in animals and plants...
- The nucleus-encoded protein MOC1 is essential for mitochondrial light acclimation in Chlamydomonas reinhardtiiChristine Schönfeld
Molecular Cell Physiology Group, Department of Biology, University of Bielefeld, 33501 Bielefeld, Germany
J Biol Chem 279:50366-74. 2004..Overall, we have identified a novel mitochondrial factor that regulates the composition of the mitochondrial respiratory chain in the light so that it can act as an effective sink for reductant produced by the chloroplast...
- Engineering photosynthetic light capture: impacts on improved solar energy to biomass conversionJan H Mussgnug
Institute for Molecular Bioscience, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
Plant Biotechnol J 5:802-14. 2007....
- Perspectives and advances of biological H2 production in microorganismsJens Rupprecht
Institute for Molecular Bioscience, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 72:442-9. 2006..The use of advanced bioreactor systems and their potential and limitations in terms of process design, efficiency, and cost are also briefly reviewed...
- Photosynthetic biomass and H2 production by green algae: from bioengineering to bioreactor scale-upBen Hankamer
Institute for Molecular Bioscience, University of Queensland, St Lucia Campus, Brisbane, Queensland 4072, Australia
Physiol Plant 131:10-21. 2007..This review is focused on placing bio-H(2) production processes into the context of the current biofuels market and summarizing advances made both at the level of bioengineering and bioreactor design...
- Proteomics of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii light-harvesting proteinsEinar J Stauber
Lehrstuhl fur Pflanzenphysiologie, Friedrich Schiller Universitat Jena, 07743 Jena, Germany
Eukaryot Cell 2:978-94. 2003..This proteomic study demonstrates the complexity of the light-harvesting proteins at the protein level in C. reinhardtii and will be an important basis of future functional studies addressing this diversity...
- FtsH is involved in the early stages of repair of photosystem II in Synechocystis sp PCC 6803Paulo Silva
Department of Biological Sciences, Imperial College London, South Kensington Campus SW7 2AZ, United Kingdom
Plant Cell 15:2152-64. 2003..These results, together with the recent analysis of ftsH mutants of Arabidopsis, highlight the critical role played by FtsH proteases in the removal of damaged D1 from the membrane and the maintenance of PSII activity in vivo...
- Mössbauer studies of the non-heme iron and cytochrome b559 in a Chlamydomonas reinhardtii PSI- mutant and their interactions with alpha-tocopherol quinoneKvetoslava Burda
Institute of Nuclear Physics, ul Radzikowskiego 152, 31 342 Cracow, Poland
FEBS Lett 535:159-65. 2003..alpha-TQ oxidizes the heme iron into the high spin Fe3+ state. A possible role of the non-heme iron and alpha-TQ in electron flow through the PSII is discussed...