Affiliation: University of Munich
- Growth, development and differentiation: a functional food science approachB Koletzko
Kinderpoliklinik, Klinikum Innenstadt der Ludwig Maximilians Universität, Munchen, Germany
Br J Nutr 80:S5-45. 1998....
- Long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in diets for infants: choices for recommending and regulating bodies and for manufacturers of dietary productsB Koletzko
Department of Paediatrics, Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, Germany
Lipids 34:215-20. 1999....
- Polyunsaturated fatty acids in human milk and their role in early infant developmentB Koletzko
Division Metabolic Diseases and Nutrition Kinderklinik and Kinderpoliklinik, Dr von Haunersches Kinderspital, Ludwigs Maximilians University of Munich, Munchen, Germany
J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia 4:269-84. 1999..Here we discuss the PUFA composition of human milk, factors which determine and modulate milk PUFA content, and possible effects of milk LC-PUFA on infant growth and development...
- Physiological aspects of human milk lipidsB Koletzko
Department of Pediatrics, Kinderklinik and Kinderpoliklinik, Dr von Haunersches Kinderspitel, Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, Lindwurmstr 4, D 80337, Munich, Germany
Early Hum Dev 65:S3-S18. 2001..Thus, not only the woman's current but also her long-term dietary intake is of marked relevance for milk fat composition...
- Influence of formulas with borage oil or borage oil plus fish oil on the arachidonic acid status in premature infantsH Demmelmair
Kinderklinik and Kinderpoliklinik, Dr. von Haunersches Kinderspital, Ludwig-Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Lipids 36:555-66. 2001..The effect of GLA on AA is independent of the EPA and DHA content in the diet within the dose ranges studied...
- [Infant feeding practice and later obesity risk. Indications for early metabolic programming]B Koletzko
Abt Stoffwechsel und Ernährungsmedizin, Dr von Haunersches Kinderspital, Klinikum der Ludwig Maximilians Universität München, Lindwurmstr 4, 80337, Munchen, Deutschland
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 53:666-73. 2010..We conclude that infant feeding practice has a high potential for long-term health effects. The results obtained should stimulate the review of recommendations and policies for infant formula composition...
- Access technique and its problems in parenteral nutrition - Guidelines on Parenteral Nutrition, Chapter 9K W Jauch
Dept Surgery Grosshadern, University Hospital, Munich, Germany
Ger Med Sci 7:Doc19. 2009..A peripheral venous catheter (PVC) can remain in situ for as long as it is clinically required unless there are signs of inflammation at the insertion site...
- Long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (LC-PUFA) and perinatal developmentB Koletzko
Dr von Haunersches Kinderspital, Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, Germany
Acta Paediatr 90:460-4. 2001..Only studies published in full or in abstract form were used as our working knowledge base...
- Dietary long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation in infants with phenylketonuria: a randomized controlled trialB Koletzko
Department of Paediatrics, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
J Inherit Metab Dis 30:326-32. 2007..Children with phenylketonuria (PKU) consume diets with very low contents of preformed LCPUFA. We studied prospectively the LCPUFA status in infants with PKU without or with LCPUFA supplementation during the first year of life...
- Nutritional and biochemical properties of human milk, Part I: General aspects, proteins, and carbohydratesC Kunz
Department of Pediatrics, Kinderklinik, Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, Germany
Clin Perinatol 26:307-33. 1999....
- The use of stable isotope techniques for nutritional and metabolic research in paediatricsB Koletzko
Kinderklinik nd Kinderpoliklinik, Klinikum Innenstadt, Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, Germany
Early Hum Dev 53:S77-97. 1998..These few examples of recent developments demonstrate the great clinical and scientific potential of stable isotope methods in future paediatric applications...
- Polyunsaturated fatty acid supply with human milkT U Sauerwald
Kinderklinik and Kinderpoliklinik, Dr von Haunersches Kinderspital, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Lipids 36:991-6. 2001..Based on these studies, the major part of polyunsaturated fatty acids in human milk seems not to be provided directly from the diet but from maternal tissue stores...
- Factors associated with sugar intake and sugar sources in European children from 1 to 8 years of ageI Pawellek
Department of Metabolic and Nutritional Medicine, Dr von Hauner Children s Hospital, Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Eur J Clin Nutr . 2016..However, little data exist about total intake and sources of sugar in European children. Therefore, this paper aims to describe sugar intake and dietary sugar sources and associated factors...
- Protein intakes and their nutritional sources during the first 2 years of life: secondary data evaluation from the European Childhood Obesity ProjectL Damianidi
Division of Metabolic and Nutritional Medicine, Dr von Hauner Children s Hospital, University of Munich Medical Center, Munchen, Germany
Eur J Clin Nutr 70:1291-1297. 2016..High protein intake in infancy affects future obesity risk and other health outcomes. We aim to describe total protein intake and its sources in a birth cohort in five European countries over the first 2 years of life...
- Mc2 receptor knockdown modulates differentiation and lipid composition in adipocytesM J Betz
Endocrine Research Unit, Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik IV, Munich, Germany
Horm Metab Res 44:670-5. 2012..MC2R plays an important role for regular lipolytic function and lipid composition in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Of interest, desaturase expression was reduced and MUFA content accordingly altered in kd cells...
- Complications and monitoring - Guidelines on Parenteral Nutrition, Chapter 11W H Hartl
Dept Surgery Grosshadern, University Hospital, Munich, Germany
Ger Med Sci 7:Doc17. 2009..Monitoring metabolic determinants of bone metabolism is particularly important in patients receiving long-term PN. Markers of intermediary, electrolyte and trace element metabolism require regular checks...
- Lipid supply for infants with special needsB Koletzko
Kinderpoliklinik, University of Munich, Germany
Eur J Med Res 2:69-73. 1997..Further research is required to study in more detail the metabolic effects, functional outcomes and safety of different forms of LC-PUFA supply for infants...
- Analysis of FA contents in individual lipid fractions from human placental tissueM Klingler
Division of Metabolism and Nutrition, Kinderklinik and Kinderpoliklinik, Dr von Hauner Children s Hospital, Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, D 80337, Munich, Germany
Lipids 38:561-6. 2003..5-9.9%), whereas the absolute FA concentrations were only reproducible in the PL fraction (CV 7.0-12.8%). The method shows a reasonably high precision that is well suited for physiological and nutritional studies...
- Breast milk composition and infant nutrient intakes during the first 12 months of lifeV Grote
Division Metabolic and Nutritional Medicine, Dr von Hauner Children s Hospital, University of Munich, Medical Centre, Munich, Germany
Eur J Clin Nutr 70:250-6. 2016..In addition, human milk composition was quantified per energetic macronutrient and fatty-acid composition in a subsample of lactating mothers...
- Neurocognitive functioning in adults with phenylketonuria: results of a long term studyJ Weglage
University of Munster, Department of Pediatrics, Albert Schweitzer Campus 1, 48149 Munster, Germany
Mol Genet Metab 110:S44-8. 2013..A controlled long-term study was performed to assess the neurological and neuropsychological performance in adult patients with early-treated phenylketonuria (PKU)...
- German national consensus recommendations on nutrition and lifestyle in pregnancy by the 'Healthy Start - Young Family Network'B Koletzko
Dr von Hauner Children s Hospital, University of Munich Medical Center, Munich, Germany
Ann Nutr Metab 63:311-22. 2013..Pregnant women should not smoke and not stay in rooms where others smoke or have smoked before (passive smoking). Alcohol consumption should be avoided, since alcohol can harm unborn children...
- FADS gene variants modulate the effect of dietary fatty acid intake on allergic diseases in childrenM Standl
Institute of Epidemiology I, Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, German Research Center for Environmental Health, Munich, Germany
Clin Exp Allergy 41:1757-66. 2011..The association between dietary fatty acid intake and the development of atopic diseases has been inconsistent. This could be due to inter-individual genetic differences in fatty acid metabolism...
- Dietary intake of natural sources of docosahexaenoic acid and folate in pregnant women of three European cohortsC Franke
Division of Metabolism and Nutrition, Dr von Hauner Children s Hospital, Munich, Germany
Ann Nutr Metab 53:167-74. 2008..Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) has been associated with infantile neurological and cognitive development. Thus, optimal intrauterine development and growth requires adequate supply of these nutrients during pregnancy...
- Effects of a Follow-On Formula Containing Isomaltulose (Palatinose™) on Metabolic Response, Acceptance, Tolerance and Safety in Infants: A Randomized-Controlled TrialM Fleddermann
Dr von Hauner Children s Hospital, University of Munich Medical Centre, Munich, Germany
PLoS ONE 11:e0151614. 2016..Non-invasive urinary c-peptide measurements may be a suitable marker of nutritional intake during the previous four days in infants...
- Use of electronic data capture in a clinical trial on infant feedingI Pawellek
Department of Metabolic Diseases and Nutrition, Dr von Hauner Children s Hospital, University of Munich Medical Centre, Munich, Germany
Eur J Clin Nutr 66:1342-3. 2012..We use electronic data capture (EDC) in this trial and report here on our experience with the method...
- [TigerKids. Successful health promotion in preschool settings]A Strauss
Dr von Haunersches Kinderspital, Abt Stoffwechsel und Ernährungsmedizin, Lindwurmstrasse 4, Munich, Germany
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 54:322-9. 2011..9 vs. 18.0%, p=0.05) and obesity (3.4 vs. 5.4%, p=0.07) in the first year. TigerKids is a low cost program applied in daycare settings which achieves significant behavioral changes in the home environment...
- Fish oil supplementation improves visual evoked potentials in children with phenylketonuriaS Beblo
Division of Metabolic Diseases and Nutrition, Dr. von Haunersches Kinderspital, Munich, Germany
Neurology 57:1488-91. 2001..The authors conclude that omega-3 LC-PUFA are essential substrates for nervous system function even beyond infancy...
- [(13)C]Methionine breath test as a marker for hepatic mitochondrial function in HIV-infected patientsT Sternfeld
II Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Infektionsambulanz, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 25:1243-8. 2009..Hepatic mitochondrial function is impaired in antiretroviral-treated HIV-infected patients with disturbances of lipid metabolism...
- Lipid supply and metabolism in infancyB Koletzko
Kinderpoliklinik, Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, Germany
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 1:171-7. 1998..Intravenous lipid emulsions are an indispensable part of parenteral nutrition of young children, and efforts are being made to improve the parenteral feeding regimens to meet the metabolic needs for this sensitive group of patients...
- Effect of elective abdominal surgery on human colon protein synthesis in situP Rittler
Department of Surgery, Klinikum Grosshadern, Munich, Germany
Ann Surg 233:39-44. 2001..The postoperative rate of colon protein synthesis is, compared with other tissues, among the highest measured thus far in humans...
- [Current problems in determining children's nutritional needs]B Koletzko
Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, München de
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 47:227-34. 2004..Changes are urgently needed and might be achievable with close collaboration between scientists, public institutions, and industry...
- Investigation of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid metabolism in lactating women by means of stable isotope techniquesH Demmelmair
Dr. von Haunersches Children's Hospital, Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, Germany
Adv Exp Med Biol 501:169-77. 2001....
- Different quantities and quality of fat in milk products given to young children: effects on long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids and trans fatty acids in plasmaJ C E Svahn
Department of Pediatrics, Lund University, University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
Acta Paediatr 91:20-9. 2002..05 SF vs PVF; p < 0.01 SF vs FVF). Plasma concentrations of alpha-tocopherol were higher in the FVF group than in the other groups (p < 0.05 FVF vs SF, p < 0.01 FVF vs SF and PVF)...
- Reduced risk for overweight and obesity in 5- and 6-y-old children by duration of sleep--a cross-sectional studyR von Kries
Institute for Social Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 26:710-6. 2002..To assess the relationship between sleep duration and adiposity in 5- and 6-y-old Bavarian children...
- Regulation of ghrelin is related to estimated insulin sensitivity in obese childrenK Krohn
Division of Metabolic Diseases and Nutritional Medicine, Dr von Hauner Children s Hospital, University of Munich, Germany
Int J Obes (Lond) 30:1482-7. 2006..To investigate whether ghrelin concentrations and their changes during weight loss in obese children are associated with parameters of glucose and insulin metabolism...
- Insulin like growth factor regulation of body mass in breastfed and milk formula fed infants. Data from the E.U. Childhood Obesity ProgrammeP Socha
Children Memorial, Health Institute, Warszawa, Poland
Adv Exp Med Biol 569:159-63. 2005
- n6/n3 hypothesis and allergies: biologically plausible, but not confirmedI Kompauer
GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Institute of Epidemiology, P O Box 1129, D 85758 Neuherberg, Germany
Eur J Med Res 9:378-82. 2004....