Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Ulm
- Heigele A, Kmiec D, Regensburger K, Langer S, Peiffer L, Stürzel C, et al. The Potency of Nef-Mediated SERINC5 Antagonism Correlates with the Prevalence of Primate Lentiviruses in the Wild. Cell Host Microbe. 2016;20:381-391 pubmed publisher..Thus, Nef-mediated SERINC5 antagonism may determine the ability of primate lentiviruses to spread within natural hosts. ..
- Krapp C, Hotter D, Gawanbacht A, McLaren P, Kluge S, StÃ¼rzel C, et al. Guanylate Binding Protein (GBP) 5 Is an Interferon-Inducible Inhibitor of HIV-1 Infectivity. Cell Host Microbe. 2016;19:504-14 pubmed publisher..Our results identify GBP5 as an antiviral effector of the IFN response and may explain the increased frequency of defective vpu genes in primary HIV-1 strains. ..
- McLaren P, Gawanbacht A, Pyndiah N, Krapp C, Hotter D, Kluge S, et al. Identification of potential HIV restriction factors by combining evolutionary genomic signatures with functional analyses. Retrovirology. 2015;12:41 pubmed publisher..A limited number of human genes share multiple characteristics of genes encoding for known restriction factors. Most of them display anti-retroviral activity in transient transfection assays and are expressed in primary CD4+ T cells. ..
- Sauter D, Hotter D, Van Driessche B, StÃ¼rzel C, Kluge S, Wildum S, et al. Differential regulation of NF-ÎºB-mediated proviral and antiviral host gene expression by primate lentiviral Nef and Vpu proteins. Cell Rep. 2015;10:586-99 pubmed publisher..Thus, HIV-1 and its simian precursors employ Nef to boost NF-ÎºB activation early during the viral life cycle to initiate proviral transcription, while Vpu is used to downmodulate NF-ÎºB-dependent expression of ISGs at later stages. ..
- Mack K, Starz K, Sauter D, Langer S, Bibollet Ruche F, Learn G, et al. Efficient Vpu-Mediated Tetherin Antagonism by an HIV-1 Group O Strain. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Our results further illustrate the enormous flexibility of HIV-1 in counteracting human defense mechanisms. ..
- Heigele A, Camerini D, van t Wout A, Kirchhoff F. Viremic long-term nonprogressive HIV-1 infection is not associated with abnormalities in known Nef functions. Retrovirology. 2014;11:13 pubmed publisher..Thus, the lack of chronic immune activation and disease progression in HIV-1-infected VNPs is apparently not associated with unusual functional properties of the accessory viral Nef protein. ..
- Schmökel J, Li H, Shabir A, Yu H, Geyer M, Silvestri G, et al. Link between primate lentiviral coreceptor usage and Nef function. Cell Rep. 2013;5:997-1009 pubmed publisher..This may explain why HIV-1, which generally lacks the CD3 downmodulation function, commonly switches to CXCR4 usage, whereas this is extremely rare for SIV strains that have retained this Nef activity. ..