Affiliation: University of Munich
- [Type 1 diabetes mellitus : Early detection and prevention]M Hummel
Diabetologische Schwerpunktpraxis Rosenheim, Max Josefs Platz 21, 83022, Rosenheim, Deutschland
Internist (Berl) 56:475-83. 2015..Secondary prevention aims to arrest the progression to type 1 diabetes in autoantibody-positive subjects. Some prevention studies show encouraging results. ..
- [Incidental increased blood glucose finding]M Hummel
Krankenhaus München Schwabing, Städtisches Klinikukm München GmbH und Institut für Diabetesforschung
MMW Fortschr Med 148:54-5. 2006
- [62 year-old patient with rapid progressive edema, low potassium and hypertension]M Hummel
Medizinische Klinik 3, Krankenhaus München Schwabing, Munich, Germany
Internist (Berl) 47:427, 429-33. 2006..A Sertoli-cell-tumor of the testis was diagnosed as an additional carcinoma. Palliative chemotherapy and adrenostatic agents did not improve the clinical findings and the patient died eight weeks after admission...
- Psychological impact of childhood islet autoantibody testing in families participating in the BABYDIAB studyM Hummel
Diabetes Research Institute and 3rd Medical Department, Academic Hospital München Schwabing, Munich, Germany
Diabet Med 21:324-8. 2004..To determine anxiety in parents of children undergoing testing for islet autoantibodies...
- Two Caucasian families with the hepatocyte nuclear factor-1alpha mutation Tyr218CysM Hummel
Diabetes Research Institute and Academical Hospital Munich Schwabing, Munich, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 115:62-4. 2007..Clinical and laboratory examinations are shown in detail. Patients with HNF-1alpha related MODY may develop the full spectrum of diabetic complications. Therefore, early detection of family members with MODY3 is warranted...
- [Diabetes mellitus--differential diagnosis]M Hummel
Klinikum München GmbH und Institut für Diabetesforschung, Kolner Platz 1, D 80804 München
MMW Fortschr Med 148:47-50. 2006..In patients with GDM, antibody testing with GADA makes sense, in particular in slim patients receiving insulin treatment, since these patients have a high risk for developing a postpartum diabetes already in the first years...
- Chromium in metabolic and cardiovascular diseaseM Hummel
Diabetes Research Institute and Academical Hospital Munich Schwabing, Munich, Germany
Horm Metab Res 39:743-51. 2007..The existing data suggest to concentrate future studies on certain forms as chromium picolinate and doses as at least 200 mcg per day...
- [New therapeutic approaches to diabetic gastroparesis]Michael Hummel
Klinik fur Endokrinologie, Diabetologie und Suchtmedizin, Klinikum Schwabing, Städt Klinikum München GmbH and Institut für Diabetesforschung, Munchen
Med Klin (Munich) 103:514-8. 2008..Further known complications included diabetic retinopathy, diabetic nephropathy with mild renal impairment, diabetic peripheral and cardiac autonomic neuropathy, and arterial hypertension...
- Primary dietary intervention study to reduce the risk of islet autoimmunity in children at increased risk for type 1 diabetes: the BABYDIET studySandra Hummel
Institute for Diabetes Research, Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, Munich, Germany
Diabetes Care 34:1301-5. 2011..To determine whether delaying the introduction of gluten in infants with a genetic risk of islet autoimmunity is feasible, safe, and may reduce the risk of type 1 diabetes-associated islet autoimmunity...
- Early infant feeding and risk of developing type 1 diabetes-associated autoantibodiesAnette G Ziegler
Diabetes Research Institute and Hospital München Schwabing, Munich, Germany
JAMA 290:1721-8. 2003..Dietary factors modifying type 1 diabetes mellitus (DM) risk have been proposed, but little is known if they trigger the islet autoimmunity that precedes clinical disease...
- Elimination of dietary gluten does not reduce titers of type 1 diabetes-associated autoantibodies in high-risk subjectsMichael Hummel
Diabetes Research Institute and 3rd Medical Department, Academic Teaching Hospital München Schwabing, Munich, Germany
Diabetes Care 25:1111-6. 2002..Furthermore, elimination of dietary gluten reduces the frequency of type 1 diabetes in patients with celiac disease. Herein we test the hypothesis that gluten is the driving antigen for type 1 diabetes-associated islet autoimmunity...
- Brief communication: early appearance of islet autoantibodies predicts childhood type 1 diabetes in offspring of diabetic parentsMichael Hummel
Diabetes Research Institute and Academic Hospital Schwabing, Munich, Germany
Ann Intern Med 140:882-6. 2004..The development of type 1 diabetes mellitus is preceded by autoimmunity against islet beta cells...
- IDDM2/insulin VNTR modifies risk conferred by IDDM1/HLA for development of Type 1 diabetes and associated autoimmunityM Walter
Diabetes Research Institute, Munich Schwabing Hospital, Kolner Platz 1, 80804 Munich, Germany
Diabetologia 46:712-20. 2003..The aim of this study was to determine whether combining IDDM1/HLA and IDDM2/ insulin( INS) 5' variable number of tandem repeat locus (VNTR) genotypes improves T1D risk assessment...
- Maternal type 1 diabetes reduces the risk of islet autoantibodies: relationships with birthweight and maternal HbA(1c)E Bonifacio
Diabetes Research Institute, Kolner Platz 1, D 80804, Munich, Germany
Diabetologia 51:1245-52. 2008..We asked whether children of mothers with type 1 diabetes also have a decreased risk of developing islet autoantibodies, and which factors associated with maternal diabetes contribute to a reduced islet autoantibody risk in offspring...
- Autoantibody appearance and risk for development of childhood diabetes in offspring of parents with type 1 diabetes: the 2-year analysis of the German BABYDIAB StudyA G Ziegler
Diabetes Research Institute and 3rd Medical Department, Krankenhaus München Schwabing, Germany
Diabetes 48:460-8. 1999..Autoimmunity associated with childhood diabetes is an early event and a dynamic process. Presence of IAAs is a consistent feature of this autoimmunity, and IAA detection can identify children at risk...
- Improvement in pregnancy-related outcomes in the offspring of diabetic mothers in Bavaria, Germany, during 1987-2007A Beyerlein
Division of Epidemiology, Institute of Social Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, Germany
Diabet Med 27:1379-84. 2010..Reducing the risk of adverse outcomes in diabetic pregnancies to the level of risk in non-diabetic pregnancies is a major goal in diabetes care. So far there have not been any data to show whether progress is being made towards this goal...
- Predictors of overweight during childhood in offspring of parents with type 1 diabetesSandra Hummel
Forschergruppe Diabetes der Technischen Universität München, Munich, Germany
Diabetes Care 32:921-5. 2009..To study which perinatal factors affect the risk of childhood overweight in offspring with a first-degree relative (FDR) with type 1 diabetes and to determine whether maternal diabetes is an independent contributor to overweight risk...
- Development of autoimmunity to transglutaminase C in children of patients with type 1 diabetes: relationship to islet autoantibodies and infant feedingS Hummel
Diabetes Research Institute, Munich, Germany
Diabetologia 50:390-4. 2007..We investigated the development of transglutaminase antibodies and analysed potential risk factors for coeliac disease autoimmunity in first-degree relatives of patients with type 1 diabetes...
- [Intensive blood sugar treatment in type 2 diabetics: no evidence for increased mortality in the ADVANCE study compared with ACCORD study]M Füchtenbusch
Klinik fur Endokrinologie, Diabetologie und Suchtmedizin, Klinikum Schwabing, Munchen
MMW Fortschr Med 150:42-4. 2008
- Fetal growth is increased by maternal type 1 diabetes and HLA DR4-related gene interactionsM Hummel
Institute of Diabetes Research and Academic Hospital Schwabing, Kolner Platz 1, 80804, Munchen, Germany
Diabetologia 50:850-8. 2007..The aim of this study was to determine whether HLA DR4 was associated with increased birthweight in a maternal diabetes environment and whether effects persisted during early childhood...
- [Smoking behavior during pregnancy of women with type 1 or gestational diabetes]M Hummel
Institut fur Diabetesforschung, Munchen, Germany
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 132:1153-8. 2007..The relationship between maternal smoking during pregnancy, her metabolic state and the child's birth weight was analysed...
- [Diabetes mellitus and heart failure]M Füchtenbusch
Inst für Diabetesforschung and Klinik für Endokrinologie, Diabetologie und Suchtmedizin, Krankenhaus Schwabing, Munchen
MMW Fortschr Med 149:41-4. 2007..Contraindications for antidiabetic drugs such as glitazones for CHF-NYHA classes I-IV and metformin for NYHA classes III-IV need to be considered in patients with CHF and diabetes mellitus...
- Glucose tolerance test during abomaso-duodenal electromyography in three cows operated for left displaced abomasumD Pravettoni
Ospedale Veterinario Grandi Animali, Clinica dei Ruminanti e del Suino, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Italy
Dtsch Tierarztl Wochenschr 114:58-63. 2007..The results of the study suggest that despite the surgical reposition of the abomasum, disorders of abomasal motility persist in different degrees in cows operated for LDA and could be influenced by glucose administrations...
- Spectrum of clinical phenotypes and gene variants in cardiac myosin-binding protein C mutation carriers with hypertrophic cardiomyopathyJ Erdmann
Department of Internal Medicine, Charite, Humboldt University and Deutsches Herzzentrum, Berlin, Germany
J Am Coll Cardiol 38:322-30. 2001..We studied the clinical and genetic features of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) caused by mutations in the myosin-binding protein C gene (MYBPC3) in 110 consecutive, unrelated patients and family members of European descent...
- Pattern of month of birth in diabetic and non-diabetic adultsM Hummel
Isr Med Assoc J 4:74. 2002
- Wotherspoon criteria combined with B cell clonality analysis by advanced polymerase chain reaction technology discriminates covert gastric marginal zone lymphoma from chronic gastritisM Hummel
Institute of Pathology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, D 12200 Berlin, Germany
Gut 55:782-7. 2006..However, there is controversy as to whether B cell clonality also exists in chronic gastritis, hence rendering this approach futile at present...
- Extranodal mantle cell lymphoma mimicking marginal zone cell lymphomaI Anagnostopoulos
Consultation and Reference Centre for Haematopathology, Institute of Pathology, Klinikum Benjamin Franklin, Free University Berlin, Hindenburgdamm 30, D-12200 Berlin, Germany
Histopathology 39:561-5. 2001..CONCLUSION: This case emphasizes the importance of broad immunohistological investigation of B-cell NHLs involving the marginal zone...
- Dermatopathic lymphadenopathy: a differential diagnosis of enlarged lymph nodes in uremic pruritusT H Westhoff
Charite, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Medizinische Klinik IV, Nephrology, Hindenburgamm 30, 12200 Berlin, Germany
Clin Nephrol 66:472-5. 2006..In the present work we describe a rare but probably underdiagnosed cause for enlarged lymph nodes in uremic patients...
- Molecular genetic diagnosis of a primary central nervous system T cell lymphomaA Harder
Institute of Neuropathology, Charite, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Acta Neuropathol 105:65-8. 2003....
- [Breastfeeding in women with gestational diabetes]S Hummel
Institut fur Diabetesforschung, Munchen
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 133:180-4. 2008..The aim of this study was to document breastfeeding habits of women with gestational diabetes and to identify factors that affect breastfeeding habits...
- Mutation spectrum in a large cohort of unrelated consecutive patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathyJ Erdmann
Department of Internal Medicine II Cardiology, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
Clin Genet 64:339-49. 2003..Systematic mutation screening in large samples of HCM patients leads to a genetic diagnosis in about 30% of unrelated index patients and in about 57% of patients with a positive family history...
- [Burkitt's and Burkitt-like lymphoma. Molecular definition and value of the World Health Organisation's diagnostic criteria]H Stein
Institut fur Pathologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin
Pathologe 28:41-5. 2007....
- [Heart transplantation in Germany 2002]M Hummel
Deutsches Herzzentrum Berlin
Zentralbl Chir 128:788-95. 2003..Additionally, by the central documentation of all transplantations in Germany, it becomes possible to compare the results of heart transplantations for better quality control...
- Novel CDH3 mutations in hypotrichosis with juvenile macular dystrophyM Indelman
Department of Dermatology and Laboratory of Molecular Dermatology, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Clin Exp Dermatol 32:191-6. 2007..Most HJMD cases reported to date have been shown to be caused by homozygous CDH3 mutations segregating in consanguineous families...
- Progression of sealed initial bovine enamel lesions under demineralizing conditions in vitroS Paris
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, University School of Dental Medicine, Berlin, Germany
Caries Res 40:124-9. 2006..It can be concluded that filling of the pores in initial enamel lesions with the fissure sealant and adhesives 1-3 can inhibit further demineralization in vitro...