- On the generality of the latitudinal diversity gradient
Department of Limnology, Evolutionary Biology Centre, University of Uppsala, Norr Malma 4200, S 76173 Norrtalje, Sweden
Am Nat 163:192-211. 2004
..This analysis is the first to describe these general and significant patterns, which have important consequences for models aiming to explain the latitudinal gradient...
- Biotic habitat complexity controls species diversity and nutrient effects on net biomass production
Britas Klemens Eriksson
Institute for Botany, University of Cologne, Germany
Ecology 87:246-54. 2006
..This is of potential significance for marine conservation since resource loading often promotes low habitat complexity and canopy species are among the first groups lost in degraded aquatic systems...
- Dispersal frequency affects local biomass production by controlling local diversity
Ecol Lett 9:652-62. 2006
- Diversity-stability relationship varies with latitude in zooplankton
Jonathan B Shurin
Department of Zoology and Biodiversity Research Centre, University of British Columbia, 6270 University Blvd, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z4
Ecol Lett 10:127-34. 2007
..These patterns indicate that either the direct effects of diversity on stability or their covariance with environmental fluctuations vary with latitude...
- Effects of grazer richness and composition on algal biomass in a closed and open marine system
Leibniz Institute of Marine Science, Marine Ecology, Düsternbrooker Weg 20, D 24105 Kiel, Germany
Ecology 88:178-87. 2007
..The results emphasize the importance of including system connectivity in experimental designs to allow an extrapolation of biodiversity ecosystem-functioning relationships to natural systems...
- Consumer versus resource control of producer diversity depends on ecosystem type and producer community structure
Institute for Botany, University of Cologne, Gyrhofstrasse 15, D 50931 Cologne, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:10904-9. 2007
..Our study indicates that system productivity and producer evenness determine the direction and magnitude of top-down and bottom-up control of diversity and may reconcile divergent empirical results within and among ecosystems...
- A multivariate analysis of beta diversity across organisms and environments
Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences, P O Box 65, FIN 00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
Ecology 88:2830-8. 2007
..This is evidence that beta diversity is simultaneously controlled by extrinsic factors related to geography and environment, and by intrinsic factors related to organism characteristics...
- Grazing regulates the spatial variability of periphyton biomass
Botanical Institute, University of Cologne, Gyrhofstrasse 15, D 50931 Köln, Germany
Ecology 89:165-73. 2008
..coastal) and substrata. Given the importance of spatial heterogeneity for resource uptake, competition and the maintenance of diversity, grazer presence has potentially strong indirect effects on the interactions within prey assemblages...
- Multiple functions increase the importance of biodiversity for overall ecosystem functioning
Department of Marine Ecology, Goteborg University, Tjärnö Marine Biological Laboratory, SE 452 96 Strömstad, Sweden
Ecology 89:1223-31. 2008
..Our results are thus important for conservation and management of biota and ecosystem services...