Affiliation: University of Freiburg
- Quantitative and semiquantitative evaluation of erythropoietin-induced bone marrow signal changes in lumbar spine MRI in patients with tumor anemiaNadir Ghanem
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, University Hospital Freiburg, Germany
Onkologie 30:303-8. 2007....
- The effects of tea extracts on proinflammatory signalingFrank Pajonk
Department of Radiation Oncology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1714, USA
BMC Med 4:28. 2006..We investigated the underlying molecular mechanisms and compared effects of tea extracts with the effects of epigallocatechin-gallate, the proposed most-active moiety of green tea...
- Palifermin decreases severe oral mucositis of patients undergoing postoperative radiochemotherapy for head and neck cancer: a randomized, placebo-controlled trialMichael Henke
University Clinic Freiburg, Germany
J Clin Oncol 29:2815-20. 2011..Radiochemotherapy of head and neck cancer causes severe mucositis in most patients. We investigated whether palifermin reduces this debilitating sequela...
- CT-based study on potential mediastinal lymph node spread of patients with lung cancer. Contribution to 3-D treatment planning for adjuvant radiotherapy of the mediastinumJoachim Slanina
Department of Radiation Therapy, Radiological University Clinic, Freiburg, Germany
Strahlenther Onkol 178:199-208. 2002..To provide a schematized and graduated CT reference series of the mediastinum showing CT-detectable lymph node areas of lung cancer patients to support 3-D treatment planning and documentation for adjuvant irradiation of the mediastinum...
- Blood hemoglobin level and treatment outcome of early breast cancerMichael Henke
Department of Radiotherapy, Radiological University Clinic, University Freiburg, Germany
Strahlenther Onkol 180:45-51. 2004..To determine whether the blood hemoglobin concentration correlates with the prognosis of patients with early breast cancer and, if so, whether this is restricted to treatment modality...
- Erythropoietin to treat head and neck cancer patients with anaemia undergoing radiotherapy: randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialMichael Henke
Abteilung Strahlenheilkunde der Radiologischen Universitätsklinik, Hugstetter Strasse 55, D 79106, Freiburg, Germany
Lancet 362:1255-60. 2003..We investigated whether anaemia correction with epoetin beta could improve outcome of curative radiotherapy among patients with head and neck cancer...
- Do erythropoietin receptors on cancer cells explain unexpected clinical findings?Michael Henke
Klinik fur Strahlenheilkunde, Universitatsklinikum, Robert Koch Strasse, 3 D 79106, Freiburg, Germany
J Clin Oncol 24:4708-13. 2006..Recent reports suggest that cancer control may worsen if erythropoietin is administered. We investigated whether erythropoietin receptor expression on cancer cells may correlate with this unexpected finding...
- Blood hemoglobin level may affect radiosensitivity-preliminary results on acutely reacting normal tissuesM Henke
Abteilung Strahlentherapie, Radiologische Universitatsklinik, Freiburg, Germany
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 48:339-45. 2000..To evaluate the influence of blood hemoglobin concentration on the radiosensitivity of acutely reacting normal tissues...
- Erythropoietin in radiation oncology - A review. 1st international conference, Freiburg, June 11-12, 1999M Henke
Radiotherapy Department, Radiological University Clinic, Freiburg i Br, Germany
Oncology 58:175-82. 2000..This report gives a summary reviewing the topic...
- Correction of cancer anemia--impact on disease course, prognosis and treatment efficacy, particularly for patients undergoing radiotherapyM Henke
Strahlenheilkunde Radiologische Universitätsklinik, Freiburg i Br
Onkologie 24:450-4. 2001..Given the efficacy of rhEPO to stimulate erythropoiesis and improve quality of life of cancer patients and its potential to enhance radiation's efficacy seem to earn it a firm place at least in the radiooncologist's arsenal...
- [Alteration of radiation-induced hematotoxicity by amifostine (ethyol)]F Momm
Abteilung Strahlentherapie, Radiologische Universitatsklinik, Freiburg
Strahlenther Onkol 175:2-5. 1999..Radiotherapy--even of small volumes--can decrease leukocyte counts. We examined whether the radio-protector amifostine can reduce this hematotoxicity...
- FDG-PET imaging for the staging and follow-up of small cell lung cancerT Schumacher
Division of Nuclear Medicine, Albert Ludwigs University, Medical Center, Freiburg, Germany
Eur J Nucl Med 28:483-8. 2001..Finally, all findings considered suspicious for tumour involvement on the other staging procedures were also detected by FDG-PET. It is concluded that FDG-PET has potential for use as a simplified staging tool for small cell lung cancer...
- Alteration of radiation-induced hematotoxicity by amifostineF Momm
Department of Radiotherapy, University Clinic Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 51:947-51. 2001..To investigate whether amifostine can reduce radiation hematotoxicity...
- Impact of [18F]FDG-PET on the primary staging of small-cell lung cancerI Brink
Division of Nuclear Medicine, University Hospital, Freiburg, Germany
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 31:1614-20. 2004..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the impact of [18F]fluorodeoxy-D-glucose positron emission tomography (FDG-PET) on the primary staging of patients with small-cell lung cancer (SCLC)...
- Epithelial cells in the peripheral blood of patients with cancer of the head and neck: incidence, detection and possible clinical significanceF Pajonk
Department of Radiotherapy, Radiological University Clinic, Hugstetter Strasse 55, 79106, Freiburg i. Brsg, Germany
Radiother Oncol 59:213-7. 2001..Detection of cytokeratin-19-positive cells coincided with local failure, distant metastasis and anemia...
- Moist skin care can diminish acute radiation-induced skin toxicityFelix Momm
Department of Radiation Therapy, Radiologic University Hospital, Freiburg i Br, Germany
Strahlenther Onkol 179:708-12. 2003..There are several methods of managing them. Validity of these methods, however, is not sufficiently studied. We therefore investigated, whether moist skin care with 3% urea lotion will reduce acute radiation skin toxicity...
- Venous thromboembolism and mortality associated with recombinant erythropoietin and darbepoetin administration for the treatment of cancer-associated anemiaCharles L Bennett
VA Chicago Healthcare System, Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, and Robert H Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
JAMA 299:914-24. 2008..Although systematic overviews of trials have identified venous thromboembolism (VTE) risks, none have identified mortality risks with ESAs...
- Does radiation prevent 5-fluorouracil-induced colitis in the early phase of radiochemotherapy? A case report and literature reviewHans Christian Rischke
Department of Radiotherapy, University Hospital Freiburg, Germany
Strahlenther Onkol 183:459-63. 2007..A palliative chemotherapy with 5-FU, oxaliplatin, and leucovorin was started. Again, the patient suffered from severe diarrhea and dose reduction was necessary...
- Religious belief as a coping strategy: an explorative trial in patients irradiated for head-and-neck cancerGerhild Becker
Department of Internal Medicine II, University Clinic, Freiburg, Germany
Strahlenther Onkol 182:270-6. 2006..CONCLUSION: Religious faith seems to play an important role in coping strategies of radiotherapy patients. More research in this area would be worthwhile...
- Anemia and long-term outcome in adjuvant and neoadjuvant radiochemotherapy of stage II and III rectal adenocarcinoma: the Freiburg experience (1989-2002)Christian Weissenberger
Department of Radiotherapy, University Hospital of Freiburg, 79106 Freiburg, Germany
World J Gastroenterol 12:1849-58. 2006....
- Influence of intravenous amifostine on xerostomia, tumor control, and survival after radiotherapy for head-and- neck cancer: 2-year follow-up of a prospective, randomized, phase III trialTodd H Wasserman
Department of Radiation Oncology, Washington University, St Louis, MO 63110 1046, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 63:985-90. 2005....
- Erythropoietin in the treatment of cancerMichael Henke
Onkologie 28:181-2. 2005
- The erythropoietin-receptor pathway modulates survival of cancer cellsFrank Pajonk
Clinical and Experimental Radiation Biology Research Section, Department of Radiation Therapy, Radiological University Clinic, Robert Koch Str 3, 79106 Freiburg i Brsg, Germany
Oncogene 23:8987-91. 2004..As most human tumors express erythropoietin receptor, we advocate a restricted use erythropoietin to patients suffering from erythropoietin-receptor-expressing cancers...
- A multinational, randomized phase III trial of iseganan HCl oral solution for reducing the severity of oral mucositis in patients receiving radiotherapy for head-and-neck malignancyAndy Trotti
Radiation Oncology Program, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center at the University of South Florida, Tampa, FL, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 58:674-81. 2004..It is hypothesized that infection plays a role in the development of OM. We tested the efficacy of iseganan HCl (iseganan), a synthetic peptide with broad-spectrum antimicrobial activity, for preventing RT-associated OM...
- Vitiligo at the sites of irradiation in a patient with Hodgkin's diseaseFrank Pajonk
Department of Radiation Therapy, Radiological University Clinic, Freiburg Br, Germany
Strahlenther Onkol 178:159-62. 2002..Current hypotheses discuss autoimmune, autotoxic and neuronal mechanisms. Here we report the case of radiation-induced depigmentation of the skin of a patient with Hodgkin's disease and 25-year history of vitiligo...
- Metastatic breast cancer causing gas gangreneFelix Momm
J Pain Symptom Manage 31:385. 2006
- Erythropoietin receptors on cancer cells: exciting perspectives, difficult to appreciateMichael Henke
Blood 108:1107-8; author reply 1108-9. 2006
- Psychosocial distress and need for psychotherapeutic treatment in cancer patients undergoing radiotherapyKurt Fritzsche
Department for Psychosomatics and Psychotherapy, University Hospital Freiburg, Hauptstr. 8, D-79114 Freiburg, Germany
Radiother Oncol 72:183-9. 2004..There is a need to develop screening instruments that integrate both aspects...