Almut W Helmes
Affiliation: University of Freiburg
- Application of the protection motivation theory to genetic testing for breast cancer riskAlmut W Helmes
Psychological Institute, Department of Rehabilitation Psychology, University of Freiburg, 79085, Freiburg, Germany
Prev Med 35:453-62. 2002..However, the test has little to offer for women at low to moderate risk. We applied the Protection Motivation Theory (PMT) to investigate predictors of women's motivation to obtain such a test...
- Communication matters: the impact of communication and participation in decision making on breast cancer patients' depression and quality of lifeBarbara A Vogel
Department of Rehabilitation Psychology and Psychotherapy, Institute of Psychology, University of Freiburg, Freiburg D 79085, Germany
Patient Educ Couns 77:391-7. 2009..This study explored the impact of breast cancer patients' experiences of physician-patient communication and participation in decision making on patient depression and quality of life three and six months after primary treatment...
- Concordance between patients' desired and actual decision-making roles in breast cancer careBarbara A Vogel
Department of Rehabilitation Psychology, Institute of Psychology, University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Psychooncology 17:182-9. 2008..Limited concordance between desired and actual decision making of patients with collaborative decision-making preferences suggests the need for better communication and physician training on shared decision making...
- Information and decision making: patients' needs and experiences in the course of breast cancer treatmentBarbara A Vogel
Department of Rehabilitation Psychology and Psychotherapy, University of Freiburg, Germany
Patient Educ Couns 71:79-85. 2008..This study explored breast cancer patients' preferences and experiences in receiving information and decision making in the course of the first 6 months of cancer treatment...
- Results of a randomized study of telephone versus in-person breast cancer risk counselingAlmut W Helmes
Institute of Psychology, Department of Rehabilitation Psychology, University of Freiburg, 79085 Freiburg, Germany
Patient Educ Couns 64:96-103. 2006..Breast cancer risk counseling may help women to learn about their risk and appropriate options of testing. This study measured the effects of an intervention in-person and by telephone, compared to a control group...
- Patient preferences of decision-making in the context of genetic testing for breast cancer riskAlmut W Helmes
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, MP900, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Genet Med 4:150-7. 2002..Trust in one's physician mediated the effect of health locus of control on decision method. CONCLUSION: Physicians will face requests from low-risk women and will need effective communication skills to inform women about the test...