Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Heidelberg
- A randomized clinical trial comparing breakfast, dinner, or bedtime administration of insulin glargine in patients with type 1 diabetesAndreas Hamann
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, University Hospital Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Diabetes Care 26:1738-44. 2003..This open-label, randomized, parallel group, multicenter study investigated whether insulin glargine is equally effective if administered before breakfast, before dinner, or at bedtime...
- Comparison of fixed-dose rosiglitazone/metformin combination therapy with sulphonylurea plus metformin in overweight individuals with Type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled on metformin aloneA Hamann
Universitatsklinikum Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 116:6-13. 2008....
- [Molecular principles of obesity]A Hamann
Abteilung Innere Medizin I, Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik der Universität Heidelberg
Herz 26:178-84. 2001....
- [Etiology of overweight and obesity]A Hamann
Abteilung Innere Medizin I, Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Universitat Heidelberg
Ther Umsch 57:482-7. 2000..The ongoing search for the important obesity genes should not only result in a better understanding of energy metabolism, but may also help in the development of new strategies for the treatment of obese patients...
- A M55V polymorphism in the SUMO4 gene is associated with a reduced prevalence of diabetic retinopathy in patients with Type 1 diabetesG Rudofsky
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 116:14-7. 2008..We studied the association between a functionally relevant M55V polymorphism in the SUMO4 gene with microvascular diabetic complications in patients with type 1 diabetes...
- The -174G>C IL-6 gene promoter polymorphism and diabetic microvascular complicationsG Rudofsky
Department of Medicine I and Clinical Chemistry, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Horm Metab Res 41:308-13. 2009..In conclusion these data suggest no major influence of the -174G>C variant in the promoter region of the IL-6 gene on the development of microvascular complications in patients with diabetes...
- Promoter polymorphisms of UCP1, UCP2, and UCP3 are not associated with diabetic microvascular complications in type 2 diabetesG Rudofsky
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Horm Metab Res 39:306-9. 2007
- Improved vascular function upon pioglitazone treatment in type 2 diabetes is not associated with changes in mononuclear NF-kappaB binding activityG Rudofsky
Department Medicine I and Clinical Chemistry, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 410, Heidelberg, Germany
Horm Metab Res 39:665-71. 2007....
- Levels of three distinct p75 neurotrophin receptor forms found in human plasma are altered in type 2 diabetic patientsP M Humpert
Department of Medicine I and Clinical Chemistry, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 410, 69120, Heidelberg, Germany
Diabetologia 50:1517-22. 2007....
- Variants in the human beta 1-, beta 2-, and beta 3-adrenergic receptor genes are not associated with morbid obesity in children and adolescentsJ Tafel
Abteilung Innere Medizin I, Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Universitatsklinikum Heidelberg, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany
Diabetes Obes Metab 6:452-5. 2004..We therefore investigated the possible association of polymorphisms in the beta-adrenergic receptor genes with early onset obesity...
- No association of the 94T/G polymorphism in the adiponectin gene with diabetic complicationsG Rudofsky
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Diabetes Obes Metab 7:455-9. 2005..This study examined a possible association of the T/G polymorphism at nucleotide 94 in the adiponectin gene with the prevalence of diabetic complications...
- Identification of a deletion variant in the gene encoding the human alpha(2A)-adrenergic receptorA Hamann
Abteilung Innere Medizin I, Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Universitat Heidelberg, Germany
Eur J Endocrinol 144:291-5. 2001..This study was undertaken to assess whether variants in the alpha(2A)-adrenergic receptor gene are associated with body weight...
- [Oral diabetes treatment. Which substance is indicated at which time?]A Hamann
Abteilung Innere Medizin I, Universitatsklinikum Heidelberg
Internist (Berl) 45:1356-63. 2004..This recommendation for monotherapy of overweight type 2 diabetics is supported by an endpoint study. In contrast, no equivalent evidence is available on any of the possible options for oral combination therapy...
- Regulation of energy balance by leptinA Hamann
Department of Medicine, University of Hamburg, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 104:293-300. 1996..This review briefly summarizes the current status of the rapidly growing evidence that leptin plays an important role in the regulation of body weight and fat deposition...
- Leptin stimulates proliferation and TGF-beta expression in renal glomerular endothelial cells: potential role in glomerulosclerosis [seecomments]G Wolf
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology and Osteology, University of Hamburg, Germany
Kidney Int 56:860-72. 1999..Because individuals with massive obesity who may exhibit increased leptin serum concentrations develop renal glomerulosclerosis, we studied whether leptin can influence renal growth and profibrogenic processes...
- Tissue and serum levofloxacin concentrations in diabetic foot infection patientsK Oberdorfer
Institute of Hygiene, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 324, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Antimicrob Chemother 54:836-9. 2004..The purpose of our study was to determine the serum and tissue concentrations of levofloxacin when administered orally in patients with infected diabetic foot ulcers and to compare these values with microbiological findings...
- Early effects of metformin in women with polycystic ovary syndrome: a prospective randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialS Eisenhardt
Women s University Hospital, Department of Gynecological Endocrinology and Reproductive Medicine and Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Vossstr 9, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:946-52. 2006..Metformin is successfully used in the treatment of cycle disorders and anovulation in women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). No data of the exact point and the impact of insulin resistance (IR) on metformin's efficacy exist...
- Long-term treatment of central Cushing's syndrome with rosiglitazoneM Morcos
University of Heidelberg, Department of Internal Medicine, Endocrinology, Metabolism and Clinical Chemistry Heidelberg, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 115:292-7. 2007..Some studies revealed beneficial effects of the PPARgamma (Peroxisome-Proliferator-Activator- Receptor-gamma)-agonist rosiglitazone (RG) in in vitro studies, animal models and short term clinical studies...
- Rosiglitazone reduces angiotensin II and advanced glycation end product-dependent sustained nuclear factor-kappaB activation in cultured human proximal tubular epithelial cellsM Morcos
Department of Internal Medicine 1 Endocrinology, Metabolism and Clinical Chemistry, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Horm Metab Res 40:752-9. 2008..Most importantly, rosiglitazone effects on NFkappaB activation were maximal at later time points, indicating that rosiglitazone treatment confers long lasting renoprotective effects...
- [Long-term weight reduction. Current therapy approaches in obesity]S Lichtenstein
Abteilung Innere Medizin I, Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik,
MMW Fortschr Med 143:28-30, 32-4. 2001..If this basic program fails, adjunctive drug treatment is indicated. Surgical treatment may be considered when various conservative forms of treatment have proved unsuccessful over a period of years...
- Functional polymorphisms of UCP2 and UCP3 are associated with a reduced prevalence of diabetic neuropathy in patients with type 1 diabetesGottfried Rudofsky
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 410, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Diabetes Care 29:89-94. 2006..We studied the association between polymorphisms in the UCP genes and diabetes complications in patients with type 1 diabetes...
- [Effect of metformin on gene expression of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase]Li Yuan
Department of Endocrinology in Union Hospital of Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430022, China
Zhonghua Nei Ke Za Zhi 41:663-6. 2002....
- Relationship of adiponectin with markers of systemic inflammation, atherogenic dyslipidemia, and heart failure in patients with coronary heart diseaseMaximilian von Eynatten
Department of Medicine I Endocrinology and Metabolism, Ruprecht Karls University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Clin Chem 52:853-9. 2006..We examined the associations between serum adiponectin and several biomarkers related to cardiovascular disease and heart failure in a large high-risk population comprising patients with prevalent CHD...
- Activation of tubular epithelial cells in diabetic nephropathyMichael Morcos
Department of Internal Medicine 1, University of Heidelberg, Bergheimerstrasse 58, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany
Diabetes 51:3532-44. 2002....
- Impact of rosiglitazone on beta-cell function, insulin resistance, and adiponectin concentrations: results from a double-blind oral combination study with glimepirideAndreas Pfutzner
IKFE Institute for Clinical Research and Development, Mainz, Germany
Metabolism 55:20-5. 2006..In conclusion, our short-term investigation of rosiglitazone action provides further experimental support for the rationale of combining rosiglitazone with sulfonylurea drugs in patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Asp299Gly and Thr399Ile genotypes of the TLR4 gene are associated with a reduced prevalence of diabetic neuropathy in patients with type 2 diabetesGottfried Rudofsky
Department Medicine I, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Diabetes Care 27:179-83. 2004..To establish whether single nucleotide polymorphisms (Asp299Gly and Thr399Ile) of the toll-like receptor 4 have an association with late diabetic complications...
- High-molecular weight adiponectin is independently associated with the extent of coronary artery disease in menMaximilian von Eynatten
Department of Nephrology, Technical University Munich, Ismaningerstr 22, 81675 Munich, Germany
Atherosclerosis 199:123-8. 2008..We therefore investigated whether HMW adiponectin is associated with the extent of coronary artery disease (CAD) in men...
- SDF-1 genotype influences insulin-dependent mobilization of adult progenitor cells in type 2 diabetesPer M Humpert
Medizinische Klinik 1, University of Heidelberg, INF 410, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Diabetes Care 28:934-6. 2005
- Decreased plasma lipoprotein lipase in hypoadiponectinemia: an association independent of systemic inflammation and insulin resistanceMaximilian von Eynatten
Department of Medicine I Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Heidelberg, INF 410, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Diabetes Care 27:2925-9. 2004..Recently, dramatically increased LPL activity was reported in mice overexpressing adiponectin. We therefore speculated that adiponectin may directly affect LPL in humans...
- Effect of candesartan on progression and regression of retinopathy in type 2 diabetes (DIRECT-Protect 2): a randomised placebo-controlled trialAnne Katrin Sjølie
Department of Ophthalmology, Odense University Hospital, Odense, Denmark
Lancet 372:1385-93. 2008..Diabetic retinopathy remains a leading cause of visual loss in people of working age. We examined whether candesartan treatment could slow the progression and, secondly, induce regression of retinopathy in people with type 2 diabetes...
- Rosuvastatin and fenofibrate alone and in combination in type 2 diabetes patients with combined hyperlipidaemiaPaul N Durrington
University of Manchester, Department of Medicine, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9WL, UK
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 64:137-51. 2004....
- Atorvastatin improves diabetic dyslipidemia and increases lipoprotein lipase activity in vivoJochen G Schneider
Department of Internal Medicine I Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Atherosclerosis 175:325-31. 2004..Since low LPL activity indicates an increased cardiovascular risk, the statin-mediated increase in LPL activity may help to explain the reduction of CAD in diabetic patients treated with statins...
- Metformin modulates insulin post-receptor signaling transduction in chronically insulin-treated Hep G2 cellsLi Yuan
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism in Hospital of University Heidelberg, Heidelberg 69115, Germany
Acta Pharmacol Sin 24:55-60. 2003....
- Elevated plasma endothelin-1 levels in diabetes mellitusJochen G Schneider
Department of Internal Medicine I, Ruprecht-Karls-University of Heidelberg, Bergheimer Strasse 58, D-69115 Heidelberg, Germany
Am J Hypertens 15:967-72. 2002..These findings suggest that the plasma ET-1 level is not a marker of endothelial dysfunction but changes in plasma ET-1 levels may precede vascular complications associated with hypertension and diabetes...
- Genetics of obesity and obesity-related hypertensionAndreas Hamann
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Semin Nephrol 22:100-4. 2002..This knowledge should help develop new strategies for the treatment of obesity and associated risk factors for hypertension and related cardiovascular disorders...
- Comment on: Lin et al. (2007) SUMO4 M55V variant is associated with diabetic nephropathy in type 2 diabetes: Diabetes 56: 1177-1180Gottfried Rudofsky
Diabetes 56:e11; author reply e12-3. 2007
- Microvascular alterations in diabetic mice correlate with level of hyperglycemiaPetra Algenstaedt
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf, Germany
Diabetes 52:542-9. 2003..The results suggest that anti-inflammatory strategies might be able to prevent vascular deterioration in early stages of diabetes. Further investigations are required to evaluate the benefit of such therapeutic strategies...
- Lack of association between polymorphisms of the toll-like receptor 4 gene and cerebral ischemiaPeter Reismann
Department Medicine I, University of Heidelberg, Germany
J Neurol 251:853-8. 2004..This implies that the Asp299Gly TLR4-allele might have a protective role in carotid atherosclerosis, but not in cerebral ischemia...
- Inhibition of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase gene expression by metformin in cultured hepatocytesLi Yuan
Department of Endocrinology, Union Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430022, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 115:1843-8. 2002....
- Tissue factor as a link between wounding and tissue repairJiang Chen
University of Heidelberg, Department of Medicine I, Im Neuenheimer Feld 410, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Diabetes 54:2143-54. 2005..These data establish TF expression as an important link between the early inflammatory response to cutaneous wounding and reparative processes...
- Chronic hyperinsulinism induced down-regulation of insulin post-receptor signaling transduction in Hep G2 cellsLi Yuan
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University-Hospital Heidelberg, Heidelberg 69115, Germany
J Huazhong Univ Sci Technolog Med Sci 22:313-6. 2002....
- Adipocytokines as a novel target for the anti-inflammatory effect of atorvastatin in patients with type 2 diabetesMaximilian von Eynatten
Diabetes Care 28:754-5. 2005
- New treatments for diabetic neuropathy: pathogenetically oriented treatmentAngelika Bierhaus
Department of Medicine I, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Curr Diab Rep 3:452-8. 2003....
- Effect of thiol antioxidant on body fat and insulin reactivityWulf Hildebrandt
Division of Immunochemistry, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Mol Med 82:336-44. 2004..Supplementation of thiols plus creatine may reduce body fat without compromising glucose tolerance...
- The proline 12 alanine substitution in the peroxisome proliferator--activated receptor-gamma2 gene is associated with lower lipoprotein lipase activity in vivoJochen Schneider
Department of Internal Medicine I Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Ruprecht Karls University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Diabetes 51:867-70. 2002..ml(-1).min(-1), P < 0.05). Our data demonstrate that the Pro12Ala substitution in PPAR-gamma2 is associated with lower LPL activity in vivo and provides a new target for the analysis of genetic influences on LPL activity and CAD risk...