Affiliation: University of Munich
- Lung diffusing capacity for nitric oxide and carbon monoxide in relation to morphological changes as assessed by computed tomography in patients with cystic fibrosisHolger Dressel
Institute and Outpatient Clinic for Occupational, Social and Environmental Medicine, Ludwig Maximilians University, Ziemssenstr, 1, D 80336 MUnchen, Germany
BMC Pulm Med 9:30. 2009..We thus studied the relationship between DLNO as well as DLCO and a CF-specific CT score in patients with stable CF...
- Lung function in adults with cystic fibrosis at altitude: impact on air travelR Fischer
Dept of Medicine, Division of Pneumology, Clinic for Internal Medicine, Dr von Hauner s Children s Hospital, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Eur Respir J 25:718-24. 2005..The risk assessment of low in-flight oxygenation should encompass the whole clinical situation of cystic fibrosis patients, with special attention being paid to the presence of severe airway obstruction...
- Monitoring of expiratory flow rates and lung volumes during a high altitude expeditionR Fischer
Department of Medicine, Division of Pneumology, Medizinische Klinik Innenstadt, LMU Munich, Ziemssenstrasse 1, D 80336 Munich, Germany
Eur J Med Res 10:469-74. 2005..This study characterizes alterations of the forced expiratory flow-volume curve (FEFV-curve) and lung volumes at increasing altitude...
- [Visiting high altitudes--healthy persons and patients with risk diseases]R Fischer
Deutschen Gesellschaft für Berg und Expeditionsmedizin, Medizinische Klinik Innenstadt, Universitat Munchen
MMW Fortschr Med 146:33-4, 36-7. 2004..In contrast, patients with COPD, interstitial pulmonary disease or pulmonary hypertension are at appreciably greater risk...
- Lung disease severity, chronic inflammation, iron deficiency, and erythropoietin response in adults with cystic fibrosisR Fischer
Department of Medicine, Medizinische Klinik Innenstadt, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Pediatr Pulmonol 42:1193-7. 2007..CF may be associated with anemia of variable severity as expression of the chronic inflammation present in these patients. The therapeutic consequences are to treat the underlying inflammation rather than to supplement iron...
- Theophylline and acetazolamide reduce sleep-disordered breathing at high altitudeR Fischer
Dept of Medicine, Division of Pneumology, Medizinische Klinik Innenstadt, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Eur Respir J 23:47-52. 2004..2 +/- 1.7% versus 81.0 +/- 3.0%). The authors conclude that both oral slow release theophylline and acetazolamide are effective to normalise high-altitude sleep-disordered breathing...
- [Hazards of mountain climbing and hiking]Rainald Fischer
Pneumologie, Medizinische Klinik der Universität München
MMW Fortschr Med 147:28-30, 32. 2005..A sojourn in the mountains requires effective preparation and prophylaxis against oxygen deficiency, increased UV radiation, as well as against the possibility of hypothermia and frostbite...
- [Cystic fibrosis care in transition from adolescence to adult age]R Fischer
Zentrum für erwachsene Mukoviszidose Patienten, Klinikum der Universität München Pneumologie, 80336 Munchen
Internist (Berl) 50:1213-4, 1216, 1218-20. 2009..In this article models for transition currently established in Germany are described and occurring problems with their implementation are discussed...
- Comparison of portable oxygen concentrators in a simulated airplane environmentRainald Fischer
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik V, University Hospital of Munich, Ziemssenstr 1, 80336 Munchen, Germany
Respir Med 107:147-9. 2013..When choosing the right oxygen system for air travel in patients in COPD, not only weight, but also battery life and maximum possible oxygen output must be considered carefully...
- Independent information of nonspecific biomarkers in exhaled breath condensateHolger Dressel
Institute and Outpatient Clinic for Occupational, Social and Environmental Medicine, Ludwig Maximilians University, Ziemssenstrasse 1, Munich, Germany
Respiration 80:401-9. 2010..Exhaled breath condensate (EBC) has been used for diagnosing and monitoring respiratory disorders. For clinical purposes the assessment of easy-to-obtain nonspecific markers seems particularly interesting...
- Lung diffusing capacity for nitric oxide and carbon monoxide: dependence on breath-hold timeHolger Dressel
Institute and Outpatient Clinic for Occupational, Social and Environmental Medicine, Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, Ziemssenstrasse 1, D 80336 MUnchen, Germany
Chest 133:1149-54. 2008..We thus quantified the influence of breath-hold time on Dlco and Dlno in subjects with or without airway disease...
- Effects of high efficiency post-dilution on-line hemodiafiltration or conventional hemodialysis on residual renal function and left ventricular hypertrophyHelmut Schiffl
KfH Nierenzentrum München Laim, Elsenheimerstr 63, 80687, Munich, Germany
Int Urol Nephrol 45:1389-96. 2013..Our prospective investigation analyzed the effects of different dialytic therapies on RRF and left ventricular hypertrophy, which may be considered--at least in part--a surrogate marker of chronic fluid overload...
- Ultrapure dialysis fluid slows loss of residual renal function in new dialysis patientsHelmut Schiffl
KfH Dialysezentrum München Laim, Munich, Germany
Nephrol Dial Transplant 17:1814-8. 2002..Our prospective randomised investigation aimed to analyse the effects of the microbiological quality of dialysis fluid on the course of residual renal function after initiation of haemodialysis...
- Daily hemodialysis and the outcome of acute renal failureHelmut Schiffl
Department of Nephrology, Medizinische Klinik and Medizinische Poliklinik Innenstadt, Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
N Engl J Med 346:305-10. 2002..We performed a prospective study to determine the effect of daily intermittent hemodialysis, as compared with conventional (alternate-day) intermittent hemodialysis, on survival among patients with acute renal failure...
- Bronchial hyperreactivity is correlated with increased baseline airway toneA Bergner
Pneumology, Medizinische Klinik Innenstadt, Ziemssenstr 1, D 80336 Munich, Germany
Eur J Med Res 11:77-84. 2006..We therefore conclude that although not fulfilling the criteria for obstructive airway disease, increased airway tone may yet be relevant in asthma...
- Lung function in adult patients with cystic fibrosis after using the eFlow rapid for one yearSusanne Naehrig
Pneumology, Medizinische Klinik Innenstadt, University of Munich, Ziemssenstr 1, 80336 Munich, Germany
Eur J Med Res 16:63-6. 2011..The new generation nebuliser PARI eFlow® rapid allows a highly efficient aerosol delivery at reduced inhalation time. However, lung function data during long-term use of this device are not available until now...
- Dissociation between high anti-PR3 titers (c-ANCA) and the clinical course of disease in a case of Wegener granulomatosisS M Lang
Department of Medicine, University of Munich, Federal Republic of Germany
Wien Klin Wochenschr 110:691-4. 1998..A nephritic sediment was not present during these episodes. Curiously, the anti-PR3 titers have remained excessively elevated for the last three years...
- Perceived risk of bovine spongiform encephalopathy and dietary behaviorR Weitkunat
Institut für Medizinische Informationsverarbeitung, Biometrie und Epidemiologie, University of Munich, Germany
J Health Psychol 8:373-81. 2003..It was not, however, strongly associated with perceived seriousness of BSE, probably due to the ubiquitous public discussion of the topic. Reduced beef consumption has three to four times more frequent in the event of subjective threat...
- High altitude increases circulating interleukin-6, interleukin-1 receptor antagonist and C-reactive proteinG Hartmann
Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Cytokine 12:246-52. 2000..The existence and the kinetics of high altitude-induced cytokines found in this study support the hypothesis that inflammation is involved in the development of HAPO...
- Standardization of non-aggregated data: theory and practiceR Weitkunat
Institut für Medizinische Informationsverarbeitung, Biometrie und Epidemiologie, Universitat Munchen, Marchioninistr 15, 81377 Munich, Germany
Comput Methods Programs Biomed 65:207-27. 2001..The utility allows for the rapid and standardized analysis and tabulation of large multi-variable data sets. Both the statistical and technical properties of the macro are discussed and its usage is explained as well as exemplified...
- [Low-dose spiral CT of the lung in the follow-up of non-malignant lung disease]E Coppenrath
Institut für Klinische Radiologie der Universität München Innenstadt
Rofo 176:522-8. 2004..To assess image quality of chest CT with an 80 to 90 percent dose reduction in follow-up studies of patients with lung disease, dose and image quality of a low-dose protocol was investigated...
- [Regional and sex-specific differences in fulfillment of patient rights: results of a representative population survey in Munich, Dresden, Vienna and Bern]M Wildner
Bayerischer Forschungsverbund Public Health Offentliche Gesundheit, Munchen
Soz Praventivmed 46:248-58. 2001..The present study aims at a gender-specific analysis of the fulfillment of these rights...
- No evidence of cerebral oedema in severe acute mountain sicknessR Fischer
Department of Medicine, Division of Pneumology, Medizinische Klinik Innenstadt, University of Munich, Ziemssenstrasse 1, D 80336 Munich, Germany
Cephalalgia 24:66-71. 2004..76, P= 0.01). Moderate to severe AMS after high altitude exposure for 10 h is associated with a decreased iCSF-volume independent of AMS severity or medication without signs of cerebral oedema...
- Influence of air pressure, humidity, solar radiation, temperature, and wind speed on ambulatory visits due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in Bavaria, GermanyUta Ferrari
Division of Respiratory Medicine Campus Innnenstadt, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munich, Ziemssenstraße 1, 80336, Munich, Germany
Int J Biometeorol 56:137-43. 2012..It also serves as a model for the further evaluation of the impact of meteorological factors on health, and could easily be applied to other diseases or other regions...
- Acute effects of hemodialysis on lung function in patients with end-stage renal diseaseSusanne M Lang
Division of Pneumology, Department of Medicine, Medizinische Klinik Innenstadt, University of Munich, Germany
Wien Klin Wochenschr 118:108-13. 2006..Regardless of the membrane used, the hemodialysis procedure does not acutely affect lung function in uremic patients on maintenance hemodialysis. Hemodialysis is a safe procedure even in uremic patients with pre-existing lung disease...
- Five-year outcomes of severe acute kidney injury requiring renal replacement therapyHelmut Schiffl
Department of Internal Medicine Campus Innenstadt, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Nephrol Dial Transplant 23:2235-41. 2008..Severe acute kidney injury (AKI) is a common occurrence in intensive care. However, few studies have followed up these patients beyond 12 months after hospital discharge...
- Assessment of dialysis dose in critically ill maintenance dialysis patientsHelmut Schiffl
Department of Internal Medicine IV, University Hospital Munich, Munich, Germany
Ther Apher Dial 18:468-72. 2014..Assessment of dialysis adequacy should be routinely performed in these patients and delivered dialysis should be tracked through the initial clinical course...
- Regional airway obstruction in cystic fibrosis determined by electrical impedance tomography in comparison with high resolution CTZhanqi Zhao
Institute of Technical Medicine, Furtwangen University, Jakob Kienzle Straße 17, D 78054, VS Schwenningen, Germany Department of Radiology, University of Munich, Ziemssenstrasse 1, D 80336, Munich, Germany
Physiol Meas 34:N107-14. 2013..83, P < 0.05). We found that regional obstruction measured by EIT is reliable and may be used as an additional clinical examination tool for CF patients. ..
- Influence of acute exposure to high altitude on basal and postprandial plasma levels of gastroenteropancreatic peptidesRudolf L Riepl
Department of Medicine, Gastroenterology, Kreiskrankenhaus Erding, Erding, Germany
PLoS ONE 7:e44445. 2012..The changes of peptide levels were not uniform. Based on the inhibition of PP and neurotensin release a reduction of the cholinergic tone can be postulated...
- Hypobaric hypoxia causes body weight reduction in obese subjectsFlorian J Lippl
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Obesity (Silver Spring) 18:675-81. 2010..Hypobaric hypoxia seems to play a major role, although the physiological mechanisms remain unclear. Weight loss at high altitudes was associated with clinically relevant improvements in diastolic blood pressure...
- Improvement of alveolar glutathione and lung function but not oxidative state in cystic fibrosisMatthias Griese
Department of Pediatric Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 169:822-8. 2004..Reversion of markers of oxidative injury may need longer treatment, higher doses, or different types of antioxidants...
- Effects of ultrapure dialysis fluid on nutritional status and inflammatory parametersH Schiffl
Department of Nephrology, Medizinische Klinik and Medizinische Poliklinik Innenstadt, , Ziemssenstr. 1, , Germany
Nephrol Dial Transplant 16:1863-9. 2001..Ultrapure dialysis fluid adds to the cost of the dialytic treatment, but may improve the nutritional status in long-term haemodialysis patients...
- Inhaled glutathione decreases PGE2 and increases lymphocytes in cystic fibrosis lungsD Hartl
Department of Pediatrics, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Free Radic Biol Med 39:463-72. 2005..Thus, GSH primarily affected the pulmonary immune response rather than the oxidative status in CF patients. The effect of GSH inhalation on PGE2 levels and lymphocytes in CF warrants further investigation...
- Respiratory diseases and high altitudeAnnalisa Cogo
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Section Respiratory Diseases, University of Ferrara, Università via Savonarola 9, 44100 Ferrara, Italy
High Alt Med Biol 5:435-44. 2004..Therapeutic interventions, including the use of supplemental oxygen, in light of the underlying pathologic processes, will also be discussed...
- Cystic fibrosis diagnosed in a 38-year-old man with long-standing HIV infectionHans X Hoyer
Clin Infect Dis 39:438-9. 2004
- [Those who want to get to the top need counseling. Who can tolerate the heights?]Rainald Fischer
LMU München Deutsche Gesellschaft für Berg und Expeditionsmedizin
MMW Fortschr Med 147:27. 2005