Affiliation: University of Freiburg
- Increased amygdala volumes in female and depressed humans. A quantitative magnetic resonance imaging studyL Tebartz van Elst
Epilepsy Research Group, Institute of Neurology, University College London, Queen Square, London, UK
Neurosci Lett 281:103-6. 2000..008; right side: P=0.001) There was no significant finding relating to the factor aggression neither was there any significant interaction between aggression, dysthymia and gender...
- Increased prefrontal and hippocampal glutamate concentration in schizophrenia: evidence from a magnetic resonance spectroscopy studyLudger Tebartz van Elst
Department for Psychiatry, Albert Ludwigs University, Freiburg, Germany
Biol Psychiatry 58:724-30. 2005....
- Amygdala pathology in psychosis of epilepsy: A magnetic resonance imaging study in patients with temporal lobe epilepsyL Tebartz van Elst
Raymond Way Research Group, Epilepsy Research Group, Institute of Neurology, University College London, UK
Brain 125:140-9. 2002..The finding of amygdala enlargement agrees with the observation of an association between dysphoric disorders of epilepsy and POE described nearly 100 years ago...
- Subtle prefrontal neuropathology in a pilot magnetic resonance spectroscopy study in patients with borderline personality disorderL T van Elst
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Albert Ludwigs University, Freiburg, Germany
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 13:511-4. 2001..01) compared with control subjects...
- On the role of quantitative brain imaging in the differential diagnosis of speech disordersLudger H Tebartz van Elst
Department of Psychiatry, Albert Ludwigs Universitat, Freiburg, Germany
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 56:111-5. 2002..This is the longest benign history of slowly progressive anarthria reported so far. It demonstrates a possible role of quantitative neuroimaging techniques in the diagnosis of complex neuropsychiatric disorders...
- Chronic antidopaminergic medication might affect amygdala structure in patients with schizophreniaL Tebartz van Elst
Neuropsychiatric Research Group, Department of Psychiatry, Albert Ludwigs University, Freiburg, Germany
Pharmacopsychiatry 37:217-20. 2004..The effect of antipsychotic medication on amygdala structure has not been investigated so far. There is theoretical evidence to support the assumption that dopaminergic neurotransmission might affect neuronal plasticity...
- Reduced cingulate glutamate/glutamine-to-creatine ratios in adult patients with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder -- a magnet resonance spectroscopy studyE Perlov
University Hospital of Freiburg, Department of Psychiatry, Hauptstrasse 5, 79104 Freiburg, Germany
J Psychiatr Res 41:934-41. 2007..In the present study, we wanted to test the hypothesis that prefrontal glutamate signals indirectly indicate dopaminergic dysfunction in adult patients with ADHD...
- Attention-deficit disorder in adults with or without hyperactivity: where is the difference? A study in humans using short echo (1)H-magnetic resonance spectroscopyB Hesslinger
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Albert Ludwigs University, Freiburg, Germany
Neurosci Lett 304:117-9. 2001..The absolute NAA concentration was significantly reduced only in the ADHD group. Since NAA-depletion reflects a state of neuronal dysfunction, this finding indicates evidence of subtle left prefrontal neuropathology in ADHD in adults...
- H¹-MR-spectroscopy of cerebellum in adult attention deficit/hyperactivity disorderE Perlov
University Hospital Freiburg, Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Hauptstr 5, D 79104 Freiburg, Germany
J Psychiatr Res 44:938-43. 2010..Latest theoretical conceptualizations of the cerebellum as core site of the brain to model motor as well as cognitive behavior puts further weight to the assumption that it might play a key role in ADHD pathophysiology...
- Response inhibition in borderline personality disorder: event-related potentials in a Go/Nogo taskM Ruchsow
Department of Psychiatry, Christophsbad Göppingen, Germany
J Neural Transm 115:127-33. 2008..The present study is the first to examine Nogo-N2 and Nogo-P3 in BPD and provides further evidence for impaired response inhibition in BPD patients...
- A voxel-based morphometric MRI study in female patients with borderline personality disorderN Rusch
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Neuroimage 20:385-92. 2003..Our findings support the hypothesis that temporolimbic abnormalities play a role in the pathophysiology of BPD. Prefrontal structural alterations in BPD were not observed in this study...
- Psychopathological profile in patients with severe bilateral hippocampal atrophy and temporal lobe epilepsy: evidence in support of the Geschwind syndrome?L Tebartz van Elst
Institute of Neurology, University College, Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG, UK
Epilepsy Behav 4:291-7. 2003....
- Local area network inhibition: a model of a potentially important paraepileptic pathomechanism in neuropsychiatric disordersLudger Tebartz van Elst
Section for Experimental NeuroPsychiatry, Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Freiburg Medical Center, Freiburg, Germany
Epilepsy Behav 22:231-9. 2011..The LANI hypothesis is capable of explaining the complex relationship between EEG abnormalities and clinical symptoms in different neuropsychiatric syndromes and can be verified and falsified in empirical research...
- Positron emission tomography in female patients with borderline personality disorderF D Juengling
Department of Nuclear Medicine, PET Group, University of Freiburg Medical School, Hugstetterstr 55, D 79106, Freiburg, Germany
J Psychiatr Res 37:109-15. 2003..Dysfunction in this network of brain regions, which has been implicated in the regulation of emotion, may underlie symptoms of BPD...
- A psychopathological study into the relationship between attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in adult patients and recurrent brief depressionB Hesslinger
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Universitatsklinikum Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Acta Psychiatr Scand 107:385-9. 2003..In this psychopathological study, we investigated the comorbidity between these two conditions...
- Disturbed cingulate glutamate metabolism in adults with high-functioning autism spectrum disorder: evidence in support of the excitatory/inhibitory imbalance hypothesisL Tebartz van Elst
1 Section for Experimental Neuropsychiatry, Department for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Albert Ludwigs University, Freiburg, Germany 2 Universitäres Zentrum Autismus Spektrum, Albert Ludwigs University, Freiburg, Germany
Mol Psychiatry 19:1314-25. 2014..Further research should clarify the specificity and dynamics of these findings regarding other neuropsychiatric disorders and other brain areas. ..
- Frontoorbital volume reductions in adult patients with attention deficit hyperactivity disorderB Hesslinger
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Albert Ludwigs University, Hauptstrasse 5, 79104, Freiburg, Germany
Neurosci Lett 328:319-21. 2002..It remains unknown whether small volumes are a primary deficit or a result of dysfunctional activation during childhood in terms of a residual deficit or a specific type of adult outcome of the disease...
- Executive control in obsessive-compulsive disorder: event-related potentials in a Go/Nogo taskM Ruchsow
Department of Psychiatry, Christophsbad, GÃ¶ppingen, Germany
J Neural Transm 114:1595-601. 2007..However, groups did not differ with regard to the Nogo-P3 and Go-P3. The present study replicates and extends previous findings of altered executive control processes in OCD patients...
- Phase relations between rhythmical movements and breathing in wind instrument playersD Ebert
Department of Psychiatry, Hospital Chemnitz, Chemnitz, Germany
Adv Exp Med Biol 669:231-4. 2010..These two factors probably caused that the coupling of breathing and extremity movements was significantly reduced in the patients...
- Cystic adventitial degeneration and entrapment syndrome of the popliteal artery as a differential diagnosis of popliteal stenosis or occlusion in the younger age groupC Altehoefer
Abteilung Röntgendiagnostik, Radiologische Universitatsklinik, Freiburg, Germany
Vasa 27:179-82. 1998..We present two patients with the final diagnosis of cystic adventitial disease of the popliteal artery and popliteal artery entrapment syndrome. Angiographic findings and the value of additional diagnostic imaging are discussed...
- Combined EEG-fMRI and tractography to visualise propagation of epileptic activityK Hamandi
Department of Clinical and Experimental Epilepsy, UCL Institute of Neurology, Queen Square, London, UK
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 79:594-7. 2008..This demonstrates the principle of combining EEG-fMRI and tractography to delineate the pathways of propagation of epileptic activity...
- Extrahippocampal temporal lobe atrophy in temporal lobe epilepsy and mesial temporal sclerosisN F Moran
Epilepsy Research Group, University Department of Clinical Neurology, Institute of Neurology, University College London and The National Society for Epilepsy, Chalfont St Peter, Buckinghamshire, UK
Brain 124:167-75. 2001..The importance of extrahippocampal atrophy to surgical outcome and whether it occurs in temporal lobe epilepsy not associated with MTS remain to be investigated...
- Functional MRI activation of individual interictal epileptiform spikesK Krakow
Epilepsy Research Group, Department of Clinical Neurology, Institute of Neurology, University College London, London and National Society for Epilepsy, Chalfont St. Peter, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
Neuroimage 13:502-5. 2001..9%) were associated with significant focal fMRI activation. Single event-related fMRI of interictal spikes is feasible in selected patients, giving complementary information to that provided by averaged fMRI data...
- Religiosity is associated with hippocampal but not amygdala volumes in patients with refractory epilepsyJ Wuerfel
Raymond Way Neuropsychiatry Research Group, University Department of Clinical Neurology, Institute of Neurology, Queen Square, London, UK
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 75:640-2. 2004..To assess the relationship between the behavioural triad of hyper-religiosity, hypergraphia and hyposexuality in epilepsy, and volumes of the mesial temporal structures...
- Automatic segmentation of the hippocampus and the amygdala driven by hybrid constraints: method and validationM Chupin
Department of Clinical and Experimental Epilepsy, Institute of Neurology, UCL, UK
Neuroimage 46:749-61. 2009..Results were better than with the semi-automatic segmentation, and were also better than atlas-based segmentations for the 16 young subjects...
- Fixation-off sensitivity as a model of continuous epileptiform discharges: electroencephalographic, neuropsychological and functional MRI findingsK Krakow
Epilepsy Research Group, Department of Clinical Neurology, Institute of Neurology, University College London, London, UK
Epilepsy Res 42:1-6. 2000..This localization was confirmed with 64-channel EEG source analysis. The applied methods provided additional information on the pathophysiology of epileptiform discharges...
- Multimodal MR imaging: functional, diffusion tensor, and chemical shift imaging in a patient with localization-related epilepsyK Krakow
Department of Clinical Neurology, Institute of Neurology, University College London, England, UK
Epilepsia 40:1459-62. 1999..To demonstrate the integration of complementary functional and structural data acquired with magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in a patient with localization-related epilepsy...
- EEG-triggered functional MRI of interictal epileptiform activity in patients with partial seizuresK Krakow
The Epilepsy Research Group and NMR Research Unit, Department of Clinical Neurology, Institute of Neurology, London, United Kingdom
Brain 122:1679-88. 1999....
- Continuous EEG source imaging enhances analysis of EEG-fMRI in focal epilepsyS Vulliemoz
National Society for Epilepsy MRI unit, Department of Clinical and Experimental Epilepsy UCL Institute of Neurology and National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queen Square, London, WC1N 3BG, UK
Neuroimage 49:3219-29. 2010..We investigated whether the estimated EEG source activity improved models of the BOLD changes in EEG-fMRI data, compared to conventional << event-related >> designs based solely on the visual identification of IED...
- The spatio-temporal mapping of epileptic networks: combination of EEG-fMRI and EEG source imagingS Vulliemoz
National Society for Epilepsy MRI unit, Department of Clinical and Experimental Epilepsy UCL Institute of Neurology and National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queen Square, London, UK
Neuroimage 46:834-43. 2009..This combination provides new opportunities for investigating epileptic networks...
- Independent component analysis of interictal fMRI in focal epilepsy: comparison with general linear model-based EEG-correlated fMRIR Rodionov
Department of Clinical and Experimental Epilepsy, Institute of Neurology, University College of London Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG, UK
Neuroimage 38:488-500. 2007..In conclusion, ICA of fMRI is capable of revealing areas of epileptic activity in patients with focal epilepsy and may be useful for the analysis of EEG-fMRI data in which abnormalities are not apparent on scalp EEG...
- Hippocampal and cerebellar volumetry in serially acquired MRI volume scansL Lemieux
Epilepsy Research Group, University Department of Clinical Neurology, Institute of Neurology, University College London, 33 Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG, United Kingdom
Magn Reson Imaging 18:1027-33. 2000..We conclude that the methods presented are valid and that the software provides a useful integrated tool for the quantitative analysis of structural changes in serially acquired volume MRI data in prospective, blinded studies...
- Event-related fMRI with simultaneous and continuous EEG: description of the method and initial case reportL Lemieux
Epilepsy Research Group, Department of Clinical Neurology, University College London, Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG, UK
Neuroimage 14:780-7. 2001..The time course of activation was comparable with the physiological hemodynamic response function (HRF). The new methodology could lead to novel and important applications in many areas of neuroscience...
- fMRI temporal clustering analysis in patients with frequent interictal epileptiform discharges: comparison with EEG-driven analysisK Hamandi
Department of Clinical and Experimental Epilepsy, Institute of Neurology, University College London, UK
Neuroimage 26:309-16. 2005..New techniques to localise epileptogenic activity with fMRI alone require validation with an appropriate independent measure. In the investigation of interictal epileptiform activity, this is best done with simultaneous EEG recording...
- Studying spontaneous EEG activity with fMRIA Salek-Haddadi
Department of Clinical and Experimental Epilepsy, Institute of Neurology, University College London, Queen Square, WC1N 3BG, London, UK
Brain Res Brain Res Rev 43:110-33. 2003..Here, these issues are assembled and explored to provide an overview of progress made and unresolved questions, with an emphasis on applications in epilepsy...
- A longitudinal study of brain morphometrics using quantitative magnetic resonance imaging and difference image analysisR S N Liu
Department of Clinical and Experimental Epilepsy, Institute of Neurology, University College London, London WC1N 3BG, UK
Neuroimage 20:22-33. 2003..Our findings emphasize the importance of controlling for age effects when studying pathological brain changes over a wide age range...