Oliver A Cornely
Affiliation: University of Cologne
- Posaconazole vs. fluconazole or itraconazole prophylaxis in patients with neutropeniaOliver A Cornely
University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
N Engl J Med 356:348-59. 2007..Patients with neutropenia resulting from chemotherapy for acute myelogenous leukemia or the myelodysplastic syndrome are at high risk for difficult-to-treat and often fatal invasive fungal infections...
- Randomized controlled monocentric comparison of once daily ceftriaxone with tobramycin and cefotaxime three times daily with tobramycin in neutropenic feverO A Cornely
Department of Internal Medicine I, University Hospital of Cologne, 50924 Cologne, Germany
Ann Hematol 80:103-8. 2001..7% and 80%, respectively. No significant difference in toxicity was observed. Once-daily ceftriaxone plus tobramycin was not inferior to cefotaxime t.i.d. plus tobramycin qd in the empirical treatment of neutropenic fever...
- Once-daily oral levofloxacin monotherapy versus piperacillin/tazobactam three times a day: a randomized controlled multicenter trial in patients with febrile neutropeniaOliver A Cornely
Department of Internal Medicine I, Klinikum der Universität zu Köln, Koln, Germany
Int J Hematol 79:74-8. 2004..A larger phase III trial is warranted to further evaluate the lack of inferiority of the oral monotherapy regimen versus standard intravenous therapy...
- Liposomal amphotericin B as initial therapy for invasive mold infection: a randomized trial comparing a high-loading dose regimen with standard dosing (AmBiLoad trial)Oliver A Cornely
1st Dept of Internal Medicine, University of Cologne, Germany
Clin Infect Dis 44:1289-97. 2007..Liposomal amphotericin B achieves maximum plasma levels at a dosage of 10 mg/kg per day, but clinical efficacy data for higher doses are lacking...
- Is there a role for polyenes in treating invasive mycoses?Oliver A Cornely
First Department of Internal Medicine, Hematology Oncology Infectious Diseases, University Hospital of Cologne, Koln, Germany
Curr Opin Infect Dis 19:565-70. 2006..In addition to re-examining the landmark clinical trials of the past, the more recent findings are put into perspective. The past year has been particularly rich in clinical trials...
- Prophylaxis of invasive fungal infections in patients with hematological malignancies and solid tumors--guidelines of the Infectious Diseases Working Party (AGIHO) of the German Society of Hematology and Oncology (DGHO)Oliver A Cornely
Klinik I fur Innere Medizin, Klinikum der Universität zu Köln, 50931, Koln, Germany
Ann Hematol 82:S186-200. 2003..The objective of this review accumulating information on about 10.000 patients is to assess evidence based criteria primarily regarding the efficacy of antifungal prophylaxis in neutropenic cancer patients...
- [Opportunistic infections after treatment with monoclonal antibodies]Oliver A Cornely
Hämatologie, Onkologie, Klinische Infektiologie, Klinikum der Universität Köln, Deutschland
Wien Med Wochenschr 154:209-17. 2004..Whether reactivation of herpes simplex and varizella zoster can be influenced prophylactically has not been studied in randomised trials. In case of fever and detection of cytomegalovirus reactivation preemptive therapy should be given...
- [Antifungal prophylaxis in neutropenic patients]O A Cornely
Universitätsklinik I für Innere Medizin, D 50924 Koln, Deutschland
Wien Med Wochenschr 151:73-9. 2001..Nystatin can be used topically whenever topical amphotericin B is not well tolerated. All currently available prophylactic antimycotics bear the risk of either unsatisfactory effectiveness or severe toxicity...
- A randomized monocentric trial in febrile neutropenic patients: ceftriaxone and gentamicin vs cefepime and gentamicinO A Cornely
Department of Internal Medicine I, University Hospital of Cologne, Joseph Stelzmann Strasse 9, 50931 Cologne, Germany
Ann Hematol 81:37-43. 2002..5% vs 17%), while nausea/vomiting was less (12.1% vs 5%). Once-daily ceftriaxone plus gentamicin was not inferior to cefepime t.i.d. plus gentamicin q.d. in the empirical treatment of neutropenic fever...
- Disseminated Neocosmospora vasinfecta infection in a patient with acute nonlymphocytic leukemiaO A Cornely
Klinik I fur Innere Medizin, Universitätsklinik Köln, 50924 Köln, Germany
Emerg Infect Dis 7:149-52. 2001..N. vasinfecta, a plant pathogen, was identified by culture and genetic sequencing. Susceptibility testing revealed in vitro resistance for common antifungals...
- Voriconazole serum concentrations in prophylactically treated acute myelogenous leukaemia patientsMaria J G T Rüping
Klinikum der Universität zu Köln, Klinik I fur Innere Medizin, Koln, Germany
Mycoses 54:230-3. 2011..Future investigations might aim at identifying drug level thresholds that allow for minimum toxicity and optimum efficacy of antifungal prophylaxis...
- Intracellular concentrations of micafungin in different cellular compartments of the peripheral bloodFedja Farowski
Universitätsklinikum Köln, Klinik I fur Innere Medizin, Koln, Germany
Int J Antimicrob Agents 39:228-31. 2012..In vitro data showed that intracellular uptake of micafungin by PBMCs depends on the albumin concentration of the surrounding medium, but only at non-physiological protein concentrations...
- Efficacy of caspofungin and itraconazole as secondary antifungal prophylaxis: analysis of data from a multinational case registryJörg J Vehreschild
Klinik I fur Innere Medizin, Klinikum der Universität zu Köln, Cologne, Germany
Int J Antimicrob Agents 34:446-50. 2009..Despite antifungal prophylaxis, risk of breakthrough IFD was high in both groups...
- Treatment of invasive fungal infections in clinical practice: a multi-centre survey on customary dosing, treatment indications, efficacy and safety of voriconazoleJörg J Vehreschild
Klinikum der Universität zu Köln, Klinik I fur Innere Medizin, Studienzentrum Infektiologie II, Kerpener Strasse 62, Koln, Germany
Int J Hematol 87:126-31. 2008..Data from this survey demonstrate the difficulty of putting drugs to their approved use in IFI...
- A double-blind trial on prophylactic voriconazole (VRC) or placebo during induction chemotherapy for acute myelogenous leukaemia (AML)Jörg J Vehreschild
Klinikum der Universität zu Köln, Klinik I fur Innere Medizin, Studienzentrum Infektiologie II, 50937 Koln, Germany
J Infect 55:445-9. 2007..We conducted a trial to analyze the efficacy and safety of voriconazole in the prevention of lung infiltrates during induction chemotherapy for acute myelogenous leukaemia (AML)...
- Primary antifungal prophylaxis in acute myeloblastic leukemia and myelodysplastic syndrome--still an open question?Maria J G T Rüping
Department I of Internal Medicine, Clinical Trials Unit II for Infectious Diseases, Hospital of the University of Cologne, Koln, Germany
Leuk Lymphoma 51:20-6. 2010....
- Primary prophylaxis of invasive fungal infections in patients with hematologic malignancies. Recommendations of the Infectious Diseases Working Party of the German Society for Haematology and OncologyOliver A Cornely
Klinikum der Universität zu Köln, Klinik I für Innere Medizin Zentrum für Klinische Studien BMBF 01KN0706, Koln, Germany
Haematologica 94:113-22. 2009..Fluconazole 400 mg/d is recommended in allogeneic stem cell recipients until development of graft versus host disease only (Level A I). Aerosolized liposomal amphotericin B is recommended during prolonged neutropenia (Level B II)...
- Risk factors for breakthrough invasive fungal infection during secondary prophylaxisOliver A Cornely
Klinik I fur Innere Medizin, Klinikum der Universität Köln, 50924 Köln, Germany
J Antimicrob Chemother 61:939-46. 2008..This study determines risk factors for recurrent IFI in leukaemia patients...
- Evidence-based assessment of primary antifungal prophylaxis in patients with hematologic malignanciesOliver A Cornely
Klinik I fur Innere Medizin, Klinikum der Universität Köln, Cologne, Germany
Blood 101:3365-72. 2003..The objective of this review of 50 studies accumulating more than 9000 patients is to assess evidence-based criteria with regard to the efficacy of antifungal prophylaxis in neutropenic cancer patients...
- Pharmacokinetics of different dosing strategies of oral posaconazole in patients with compromised gastrointestinal function and who are at high risk for invasive fungal infectionOliver A Cornely
Department I for Internal Medicine, University Hospital Cologne, ZKS Köln BMBF 01KN1106, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:2652-8. 2012..A change in dosing regimen on day 9 did not lead to higher exposures in these "poor absorbers" on day 15. Poor absorption may be enhanced with a high-fat meal, a nutritional supplement, or acidification...
- Diagnosis and treatment of fungal infections in allogeneic stem cell and solid organ transplant recipientsJörg J Vehreschild
Hospital of the University of Cologne, Department I of Internal Medicine, Clinical Trials Unit II for Infectious Diseases BMBF 01KI0771, Kerpener Strasse 62, 50937 Koln, Germany
Expert Opin Pharmacother 11:95-113. 2010..There is an ongoing discussion on whether these studies may be applied to transplant patients as well...
- Intracellular concentrations of posaconazole in different compartments of peripheral bloodFedja Farowski
Klinikum der Universität zu Köln, Klinik I fur Innere Medizin, Klinisches Studienzentrum 2 für Infektiologie, Fedja Farowski, MSc, 50924 Cologne, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:2928-31. 2010..Posaconazole reaches high concentrations within human PBMCs and PMNs and is, to a lesser extent, present in RBCs. The high intracellular concentrations might contribute to posaconazole efficacy and distribution...
- Quantitation of azoles and echinocandins in compartments of peripheral blood by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometryFedja Farowski
Klinikum der Universität zu Köln, Klinik I fur Innere Medizin, Klinisches Studienzentrum 2 für Infektiologie, Koln, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:1815-9. 2010..8%. The method was established as standard practice for the quantitation of intracellular antifungal concentrations and optimizes TDM by applying a rapid single method for 6 antifungals...
- Antifungal treatment strategies in high risk patientsMaria J G T Rüping
Department I of Internal Medicine, Clinical Trials Unit Infectious Diseases II, Hospital of University of Cologne, Koln, Germany
Mycoses 51:46-51. 2008..may be switched to fluconazole. Caspofungin or micafungin might be preferred to anidulafungin in the neutropenic patient. L-AmB is a valuable second line treatment option for both groups of patients...
- Intracellular concentrations of anidulafungin in different compartments of the peripheral bloodFedja Farowski
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Int J Antimicrob Agents 41:379-82. 2013..In vitro data showed that intracellular uptake of anidulafungin by PBMCs depends on the albumin concentration of the surrounding medium, but only at low, i.e. non-physiological, protein concentrations...
- Outcomes of nosocomial bloodstream infections in adult neutropenic patients: a prospective cohort and matched case-control studyHilmar Wisplinghoff
Institute for Medical Microbiology, Immunology and Hygiene, and Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 24:905-11. 2003..To examine the clinical and epidemiologic features, excess length of stay, extra costs, and mortality attributable to bloodstream infection (BSI) in neutropenic patients with hematologic malignancies...
- Efficacy outcomes in a randomised trial of liposomal amphotericin B based on revised EORTC/MSG 2008 definitions of invasive mould diseaseOliver A Cornely
Department I of Internal Medicine, Infectious Diseases, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Mycoses 54:e449-55. 2011..As possible invasive mould disease probably reflects an early-stage of disease, a better outcome might be expected when treatment with liposomal amphotericin B is started preemptively...
- Anidulafungin--state of affairs from a clinical perspectiveJörg J Vehreschild
Klinikum der Universität zu Köln, Klinik I fur Innere Medizin, Klinische Infektiologie, Kerpener Strasse, Koln, Germany
Mycoses 50:38-43. 2007..Future investigations may elucidate how anidulafungin performs clinically in comparison with the other echinocandins...
- Efficacy and safety of moxifloxacin as antibacterial prophylaxis for patients receiving autologous haematopoietic stem cell transplantation: a randomised trialJ Janne Vehreschild
Department I for Internal Medicine, University Hospital of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Int J Antimicrob Agents 39:130-4. 2012..Moxifloxacin prevented bacteraemia and shortened febrile episodes in patients receiving autologous PBSCT. No significant increase of adverse events in the moxifloxacin arm was observed, possibly due to the rather small sample size...
- Efficacy and safety of micafungin for treatment of serious Candida infections in patients with or without malignant diseaseOliver A Cornely
Klinik I für Innere Medizin der Universität zu Köln, and Zentrum für Klinische Studien BMBF 01KN0706, Koln, Germany
Mycoses 54:e838-47. 2011..Further prospective trials are recommended to evaluate comparative outcomes with a primary focus on patients with malignancies and invasive candidiasis...
- Patients at high risk of invasive fungal infections: when and how to treatMaria J G T Rüping
Department I of Internal Medicine, Clinical Trials Unit Infectious Diseases II, Hospital of the University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Drugs 68:1941-62. 2008..Early diagnosis of IFIs is imperative to facilitate treatment success. In all patients at risk for IFIs, blood cultures, galactomannan antigen and diagnostic imaging should be rigorously enforced...
- Micafungin sodium, the second of the echinocandin class of antifungals: theory and practiceJörg J Vehreschild
Klinikum der Universität zu Köln, Klinik I fur Innere Medizin, Klinisches Studienzentrum Infektiologie II, Koln, Germany
Future Microbiol 1:161-70. 2006..More controlled and sufficiently scaled trials are imperative in order to establish micafungin as a reliable and safe option in clinical practice...
- Posaconazole: a next-generation triazole antifungalFedja Farowski
Klinikum der Universität zu Köln, Klinik I fur Innere Medizin, Klinisches Studienzentrum Schwerpunkt Infektiologie II, Koln, Germany
Future Microbiol 2:231-43. 2007....
- Voriconazole brain tissue levels in rhinocerebral aspergillosis in a successfully treated young womanThomas Elter
1st Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cologne, 50924 Cologne, Germany
Int J Antimicrob Agents 28:262-5. 2006..Furthermore, for the first time, voriconazole levels in an intracerebral abscess were measured in this patient undergoing voriconazole oral therapy...
- Mucormycosis treated with posaconazole: review of 96 case reportsJoerg J Vehreschild
1st Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Crit Rev Microbiol 39:310-24. 2013..Overall mortality was 24% (lacking data for three patients). In published case reports on posaconazole treatment for mucormycosis, the drug was frequently and successfully used in combination or as second line therapy. ..
- Management of infections in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia treated with alemtuzumabThomas Elter
Department of Hematology, Oncology and Infectious Diseases, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Ann Hematol 88:121-32. 2009..In this review article, we provide an overview of common infectious events associated with alemtuzumab therapy in CLL. We also discuss recommendations for effectively monitoring and managing infections in CLL patients...
- Salvage therapy of refractory chronic disseminated candidiasis in a patient with acute myeloid leukaemia and secondary prophylaxis during allogeneic stem cell transplantationJörg J Vehreschild
1st Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Mycoses 49:42-7. 2006..Symptoms rapidly resolved under posaconazole 200 mg q.i.d. treatment and the patient was able to undergo allogeneic haematopoietic stem cell transplantation on secondary prophylaxis with posaconazole...
- The first echinocandin: caspofunginO A Cornely
Klinik I fur Innere Medizin, Klinikum der Universität Köln, 50924 Köln, Germany
Mycoses 45:56-60. 2002..Reports of combination therapy or highly effective antifungal treatment (HEAT) in limited patient numbers are promising. New trials of combination therapy are warranted...
- Successful treatment of chronic disseminated candidiasis with caspofungin and itraconazole in a patient with progressive acute leukemia and prolonged neutropeniaK Hubel
Klinik I fur Innere Medizin, Klinikum der Universität zu Köln, Joseph Stelzmann Str 9, 50924 Köln, Germany
Int J Hematol 79:289-92. 2004..This case report describes the successful treatment of CDC during neutropenia using combination antifungal therapy and suggests controlled studies to establish optimal therapeutic strategies...
- [Posaconazole: another triazole antifungal of the new generation?]C Muller
Institut fur Pharmakologie, Uniklinik Köln
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 133:2345-8. 2008
- Long-term outcome and quality of care of patients with Staphylococcus aureus bacteremiaG Fatkenheuer
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cologne, 50924 Cologne, Germany
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 23:157-62. 2004..In order to reduce the considerable mortality associated with SAB and to improve short- and long-term outcome, efforts should be made to increase adherence to recommendations...
- Improved outcome in central nervous system aspergillosis, using voriconazole treatmentStefan Schwartz
Medizinische Klinik III, Hämatologie, Onkologie und Transfusionsmedizin, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12200 Berlin, Germany
Blood 106:2641-5. 2005..We conclude from this large cohort of patients that voriconazole treatment together with neurosurgical management, whenever feasible, is currently the best approach to treat patients with CNS aspergillosis...
- Invasive candidiasis and candidemia: from current opinions to future perspectivesMaria J G T Rueping
Clinical Trials Unit Infectious Diseases II and Clinical Trials Center Cologne, Kerpener Strasse 62, Koeln, Germany
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 18:735-48. 2009..Finally, the reader is provided with a brief overview on promising clinical trial designs and antifungals that might shape the treatment of invasive candidiasis in the years to come...
- Accumulated safety data of micafungin in therapy and prophylaxis in fungal diseasesOliver A Cornely
University of Cologne, Clinical Trials Centre Cologne ZKS Köln, BMBF 01KN0706, Germany
Expert Opin Drug Saf 10:171-83. 2011..To define better the safety profile of micafungin, an analysis of micafungin clinical trial safety data was undertaken...
- Evaluating the role of prophylaxis in the management of invasive fungal infections in patients with hematologic malignancyOliver A Cornely
Department I for Internal Medicine, ZKS Köln BMBF 01KN1106, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Eur J Haematol 87:289-301. 2011....
- Caspofungin for the treatment of less common forms of invasive candidiasisOliver A Cornely
Klinik I fur Innere Medizin, Klinikum der Universität zu Köln, 50924 Köln, Germany
J Antimicrob Chemother 60:363-9. 2007..Caspofungin has demonstrated efficacy in invasive candidiasis. However, in a comparative study, most patients (>83%) had candidaemia. Therefore, we performed a study in patients with non-fungaemic invasive candidiasis...
- HPLC analysis of the antifungal agent posaconazole in patients with haematological diseasesCarsten Müller
Department of Pharmacology, University Hospital Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Mycoses 49:17-22. 2006..Oral bioavailability was especially low in patients with cytostatic therapy and/or bone marrow transplantation. Further studies are needed to establish the therapeutic range of the posaconazole concentrations...
- Association of HSV reactivation and pro-inflammatory cytokine levels with the severity of stomatitis after BEAM chemotherapy and autologous SCTMaria J G T Rüping
Uniklinik Köln, Klinik I fur Innere Medizin, Koln, Germany
Support Care Cancer 19:1211-6. 2011....
- Central venous catheter (CVC)-related infections in neutropenic patients--guidelines of the Infectious Diseases Working Party (AGIHO) of the German Society of Hematology and Oncology (DGHO)Gerd Fatkenheuer
Klinik 1 für Innere Medizin, Klinikum der Universität zu Köln, 50924, Koln, Germany
Ann Hematol 82:S149-57. 2003..In the future, the rate of catheter-related infections in neutropenic patients may be reduced by the use of catheters coated with antimicrobial agents...
- Economic analysis of micafungin versus liposomal amphotericin B for treatment of candidaemia and invasive candidiasis in GermanyO A Cornely
Klinikum der Universitat, Kerpener Strasse 62, 50924, Koln, Germany
Curr Med Res Opin 24:1743-53. 2008..To investigate the economic impact of micafungin (MICA) for treatment of invasive candidiasis and candidaemia (systemic Candida infections), a health economic analysis was conducted comparing MICA with liposomal amphotericin B (L-AMB)...
- Combination therapy of disseminated Fusarium oxysporum infection with terbinafine and amphotericin BA Rothe
Klinik I fur Innere Medizin, Universitat zu Koln, Joseph Stelzmann Str 9, 50931 Cologne, Germany
Ann Hematol 83:394-7. 2004..The combination therapy described here represents a novel approach to the treatment of Fusarium spp. in the immunocompromised host in whom Fusarium spp. are known to cause disseminated infection with high mortality...
- Factors influencing pharmacokinetics of prophylactic posaconazole in patients undergoing allogeneic stem cell transplantationV Kohl
Department of Pharmacology, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:207-12. 2010..Corresponding adjustments of the starting dose according to the presence of diarrhea and according to age appear to be justified before TDM results are available...
- Resolution of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea in patients with cancer treated with fidaxomicin or vancomycinOliver A Cornely
Department I of Internal Medicine, University Hospital of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
J Clin Oncol 31:2493-9. 2013..Patients with cancer are at increased risk for Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea (CDAD). Little is known about treatment response...
- Clinical effectiveness of posaconazole prophylaxis in patients with acute myelogenous leukaemia (AML): a 6 year experience of the Cologne AML cohortJ J Vehreschild
Klinik I fur Innere Medizin, Klinikum der Universität zu Köln, Koln, Germany
J Antimicrob Chemother 65:1466-71. 2010..However, the value of prophylaxis has been questioned in centres with a low incidence of invasive fungal diseases (IFDs) and pre-emptive treatment strategies...
- Forty-one recent cases of invasive zygomycosis from a global clinical registryM J G T Rüping
1st Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
J Antimicrob Chemother 65:296-302. 2010..Invasive zygomycosis accounts for a significant proportion of all invasive fungal diseases (IFD), but clinical data on the clinical course and treatment response are limited...
- Nucleoside-free boosted double PI regimen: significant CD4+ T-cell recovery in patients with poor immunologic response despite virologic suppressionClara Lehmann
1st Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cologne, Germany
Curr HIV Res 6:555-9. 2008..This treatment strategy may represent an option for patients with poor immunologic responses to antiretroviral therapy despite undetectable viremia...
- A novel type of metastatically spreading subcutaneous aspergillosis without epidermal lesions following allogeneic stem cell transplantationO A Cornely
Department I of Internal Medicine, Hematology, Oncology and Infectious Diseases, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Bone Marrow Transplant 28:899-901. 2001..This case report describes a novel form of aspergillosis and underlines the need for an aggressive diagnostic approach in severely immunocompromised patients...
- Current experience in treating invasive zygomycosis with posaconazoleO A Cornely
Department I of Internal Medicine, Clinical Trials Unit Infectious Diseases II, University of Cologne Hospital, Cologne, Germany
Clin Microbiol Infect 15:77-81. 2009..If impaired kidney function is overt or expected on the grounds of, for example, uncontrolled diabetes, primary treatment of zygomycosis with posaconazole is an option...
- Aspergillus to Zygomycetes: causes, risk factors, prevention, and treatment of invasive fungal infectionsO A Cornely
Klinik I fur Innere Medizin, Klinikum der Universität zu Köln, 50924, Cologne, Germany
Infection 36:296-313. 2008..Knowledge of the pathogenesis of IFIs and the activity, efficacy, and limitations of available treatment options will allow the selection of an appropriate antifungal agent for individual patients...
- Acute anterior myocardial infarction as first manifestation of acute myeloid leukemiaU Jachmann-Jahn
Medizinische Klinik, Krankenhaus Köln Holweide, Cologne, Germany
Ann Hematol 80:677-81. 2001..Various conditions can cause a myocardial infarction in leukemias. We discuss the clinical management and the possible reasons for a subtotal thrombotic occlusion of the coronary artery...
- [The curriculum for rotation physicians within the CHIR-Net]N Skoetz
Regionalzentrum Witten Herdecke Köln des CHIR Net, Koln, Deutschland
Chirurg 80:466, 468-72. 2009..An important aspect of this network is a qualified advanced training for physicians deployed at the CHIR-Net as part of a job rotation...
- [Zygomycosis after hematogeneic stem cell transplantation--a current problem?]Andreas Glöckner
Neurologisches Rehabilitationszentrum Greifswald, Karl Liebknecht Ring 26A, 17491 Greifswald
Med Klin (Munich) 101:724-9. 2006....
- [Current development in the diagnostics and therapy of systemic fungal infections in cancer patients]Meinolf Karthaus
Medizinische Klinik II, Onkologie und Palliativmedizin, Evangelisches Johannes Krankenhaus, Bielefeld, Deutschland
Wien Med Wochenschr 154:199-208. 2004..Recent developments in the epidemiology, diagnostics and treatment of fungal infections are reviewed and discussed in the context of the current state of art for the management of invasive fungal infections in cancer patients...
- Second-line treatment in invasive mould infectionsMeinolf Karthaus
Medizinische Klinik II, Onkologie und Palliativmedizin, Evangelisches Krankenhaus Bielefeld, Med Klinik Hämatologie Onkologie und Palliativmedizin im Johannesstift, Bielefeld, Germany
Mycoses 49:23-6. 2006..This review highlights the new treatment options for the salvage setting in the context of the state-of-the-art management of IFI in cancer patients...
- Itraconazole versus fluconazole for antifungal prophylaxisMeinolf Karthaus
Ann Intern Med 140:579-80; author reply 581-2. 2004
- Prospective clinical evaluation of a LightCycler-mediated polymerase chain reaction assay, a nested-PCR assay and a galactomannan enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for detection of invasive aspergillosis in neutropenic cancer patients and haematological sDieter Buchheidt
III Medizinische Klinik, Universitaetsklinikum Mannheim, Universitaet Heidelberg, Wiesbadenerstrasse 7 11, D 68305 Mannheim, Germany
Br J Haematol 125:196-202. 2004..In patients at high risk for IA, positive results for Aspergillus by PCR of blood samples are highly suggestive for IA and contribute to the diagnosis...
- Economic evaluation of caspofungin vs liposomal amphotericin B for empirical therapy of suspected systemic fungal infection in the German hospital settingPeter Kaskel
Outcomes Research, MSD Sharp and Dohme GmbH, Haar, Germany
Ann Hematol 87:311-9. 2008..The data presented in this scenario show that use of caspofungin in hematology-oncology departments in Germany results in shorter hospital stays and is at least cost-neutral compared to use of L-AmB...
- Zygomycosis--current epidemiological aspectsAndreas Glöckner
Neurologisches Rehabilitationszentrum, Greifswald, Germany
Mycoses 50:50-5. 2007..Currently recruiting multicentre trials on primary prophylaxis of IFI will have to show the preventive effectiveness of antifungals with mould activity and the incidence of zygomycosis under prospectively controlled conditions...
- Voriconazole versus liposomal amphotericin B for empirical antifungal therapyAndrew J Ullmann
N Engl J Med 346:1745-7; author reply 1745-7. 2002
- Micafungin versus liposomal amphotericin B for candidaemia and invasive candidosis: a phase III randomised double-blind trialErnst Rüdiger Kuse
Klinik für Viszeral und Transplantationschirurgie, Hannover, Germany
Lancet 369:1519-27. 2007..Invasive candidosis is increasingly prevalent in seriously ill patients. Our aim was to compare micafungin with liposomal amphotericin B for the treatment of adult patients with candidaemia or invasive candidosis...
- Invasive aspergillosis: epidemiology, diagnosis and management in immunocompromised patientsGeorg Maschmeyer
Department of Internal Medicine, Hematology and Oncology, Klinikum Ernst von Bergmann, Potsdam, Germany
Drugs 67:1567-601. 2007..Voriconazole prophylaxis may be suitable for prevention of IA as well; however, the results of large clinical trials are still awaited...
- Caspofungin versus liposomal amphotericin B for empirical antifungal therapy in patients with persistent fever and neutropeniaThomas J Walsh
National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
N Engl J Med 351:1391-402. 2004..Caspofungin, a member of the new echinocandin class of compounds, may be an effective alternative that is better tolerated than amphotericin B...
- Antifungal prophylaxis for invasive mycoses in high risk patientsAndrew J Ullmann
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Klinikum der Johannes Gutenberg Universitat, Mainz, Germany
Curr Opin Infect Dis 19:571-6. 2006..The purpose of this article is to review recent studies in patient populations at high risk for invasive fungal infections...
- Comment on: Evidence-based review of antifungal prophylaxis in neutropenic patients with haematological malignanciesOliver A Cornely
J Antimicrob Chemother 57:151-2; author reply 152-4. 2006
- Safety of long-term oral posaconazole use in the treatment of refractory invasive fungal infectionsIssam I Raad
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Clin Infect Dis 42:1726-34. 2006..Antifungal therapy is often required for long periods. Safety data from the clinical development program of the triazole antifungal agent, posaconazole, were analyzed...
- Empirical antimicrobial monotherapy in patients after high-dose chemotherapy and autologous stem cell transplantation: a randomised, multicentre trialGernot Reich
Department of Haematology, Oncology and Tumour Immunology, Charite University Hospital, Campus Buch, Lindenberger Weg, Berlin, Germany
Br J Haematol 130:265-70. 2005..One patient (0.4%) died from infection. Empirical first-line therapy with MPM as well as with P/T is safe and effective in febrile episodes emerging after ASCT. Higher response rates to primary treatment can be achieved with MPM...
- [Echinocandins in invasive candidiasis]Andreas Glöckner
Neurologisches Rehabilitationszentrum, Greifswald
Med Klin (Munich) 103:397-405. 2008....
- Numbers needed to treat with posaconazole prophylaxis to prevent invasive fungal infection and deathOliver A Cornely
Clin Infect Dis 46:1626-7; author reply 1627-8. 2008
- Choosing a study population for the evaluation of antifungal prophylaxisOliver A Cornely
Clin Infect Dis 40:1699; author reply 1699-701. 2005
- Recent developments in the management of invasive fungal infections in patients with hematological malignanciesMeinolf Karthaus
Medizinische Klinik II, Evangelisches Johannes Krankenhaus, Schildescher Strasse 99, 33611 Bielefeld, Germany
Ann Hematol 84:207-16. 2005..This review highlights recent developments in the epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatment in the context of state-of-the-art management of invasive fungal infections in cancer patients...
- Economic evaluation of voriconazole versus conventional amphotericin B in the treatment of invasive aspergillosis in GermanyJeroen P Jansen
Mapi Values, Houten, The Netherlands
Value Health 9:12-23. 2006..To assess the costs and cost-effectiveness of voriconazole in comparison to conventional amphotericin B (CAB) for the treatment of invasive aspergillosis in Germany...
- Clinical research in the lay press: irresponsible journalism raises a huge dose of doubtElias J Anaissie
Myeloma Institute for Research and Therapy, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Clin Infect Dis 43:1031-9. 2006
- Peripheral Teflon catheters: factors determining incidence of phlebitis and duration of cannulationOliver A Cornely
Department I of Internal Medicine, Cologne University Hospital, Germany
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 23:249-53. 2002..Risk factors for catheter-related phlebitis were assessed at a single tertiary-care institution where no routine change policy for peripheral intravenous catheters is in place...
- Diagnosis and treatment of documented infections in neutropenic patients--recommendations of the Infectious Diseases Working Party (AGIHO) of the German Society of Hematology and Oncology (DGHO)Dieter Buchheidt
III Medizinische Klinik, Universitatsklinikum Mannheim, Ruprecht Karls Universitat Heidelberg, Wiesbadener Strasse 7 11, 68305, Mannheim, Germany
Ann Hematol 82:S127-32. 2003..The response rate is significantly lower in documented infections than in fever of unknown origin (FUO). Evidence-based recommendations for diagnosis and treatment procedures are presented, reflecting study results and expert opinions...
- Treatment options in candidaemiaMeinolf Karthaus
Department Hematology Oncology and Palliative Care, Ev Krankenhaus Bielefeld, Med Klinik im Johannesstift, Schildescher Strasse, Bielefeld
Mycoses 50:44-9. 2007..With the advent of new antifungals the efficacy and safety of antifungal treatment have been improved substantially. This review summarises the new treatment options in candidaemia...
- [Vaccination of the immunocompromised host]Andrew J Ullmann
III Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Klinikum der Johannes Gutenberg Universitat, Mainz, Deutschland
Wien Med Wochenschr 154:218-25. 2004..Immunocompromised hosts with cancer will benefit from consistent immunization practices. Further clinical trials are urgently warranted...