Affiliation: University of Essen
- Gabapentin's acute effect on mood profile -- a controlled study on patients with alcohol withdrawalUdo Bonnet
Rheinische Kliniken Essen, Klinik für Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie und Klinik für abhängiges Verhalten und Suchtmedizin, Universitat Duisburg Essen, Virchowstr 174, D 45147 Essen, Germany
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 31:434-8. 2007..Delayed beneficial effects of gabapentin on mood were frequently reported in various patient populations. This is the first controlled study which addressed acute effects of gabapentin on mood...
- [AWMF-guideline: disorders related to cannabis]U Bonnet
Rheinische Kliniken Essen, Klinik fur Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Universitat Duisburg Essen
Fortschr Neurol Psychiatr 72:318-29. 2004..In this context, the guideline for treatment of cannabis-related disorders is introduced...
- Treatment of acute alcohol withdrawal with gabapentin: results from a controlled two-center trialUdo Bonnet
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Essen, Essen, Germany
J Clin Psychopharmacol 23:514-9. 2003..The combination of GP and CLO was safe...
- Moclobemide: therapeutic use and clinical studiesUdo Bonnet
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Essen, Germany
CNS Drug Rev 9:97-140. 2003..There is no evidence that moclobemide would increase body weight or produce seizures. Some preclinical data suggest that moclobemide may have anticonvulsant property...
- Moclobemide: evolution, pharmacodynamic, and pharmacokinetic propertiesUdo Bonnet
Rheinische Kliniken Essen, Department of Psychiatry and Psycotherapy, University of Essen, Essen, Germany
CNS Drug Rev 8:283-308. 2002..In addition, other CNS effects are reviewed with special respect to experimental serotonergic syndrome, anxiolytic and antinociceptive activity, sleep, cognition and driving performance, neuroprotection and seizures...
- Valproate acidifies hippocampal CA3-neurons--a novel mode of actionUdo Bonnet
Rheinische Kliniken, Universitatsklinik fur Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Virchowstrasse 174, D 45147 Essen, Germany
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 12:279-85. 2002....
- Intracellular pH modulates spontaneous and epileptiform bioelectric activity of hippocampal CA3-neuronesU Bonnet
Rheinische Kliniken, Universitatsklinik fur Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, POB 103043, D 45030, Essen, Germany
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 10:97-103. 2000..Together, these results indicate that intracellular acidification inhibits bioelectric activity of hippocampal CA3-neurones. This supports the hypothesis that pH(i) contributes to the control of cortical excitability...
- Moclobemide reduces intracellular pH and neuronal activity of CA3 neurones in guinea-pig hippocampal slices-implication for its neuroprotective propertiesU Bonnet
Rheinische Kliniken, Universitatsklinik fur Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Virchowstrasse 174, D 45147 Essen, Germany
Neuropharmacology 39:2067-74. 2000..We suggest that the latter effect is responsible for the moderate decrease in the steady-state pH(i) which in turn reduced neuronal activity. This mechanism may substantially contribute to the neuroprotective properties of moclobemide...
- Alteration of intracellular pH and activity of CA3-pyramidal cells in guinea pig hippocampal slices by inhibition of transmembrane acid extrusionU Bonnet
Rheinische Kliniken, Universitatsklinik fur Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Universität GH Essen, Virchowstr 174, D 45147, Essen, Germany
Brain Res 872:116-24. 2000....
- The endogenous alkaloid harmane: acidifying and activity-reducing effects on hippocampal neurons in vitroUdo Bonnet
Department of Addictive Behaviour and Addiction Medicine, University of Duisburg Essen, Virchowstr 174, D 45147 Essen, Germany
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 32:362-7. 2008..As harmane affects neuronal activity and viability and because both parameters are strongly influenced by intracellular pH (pH(i)), we tested whether effects of harmane are correlated with altered pH(i) regulation...
- Modulatory effects of neuropsychopharmaca on intracellular pH of hippocampal neurones in vitroUdo Bonnet
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, LVR Hospital of Essen, University of Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
Br J Pharmacol 159:474-83. 2010..As moclobemide, an antidepressant, and also some antiepileptic drugs can reduce neuronal pHi in hippocampus slices in vitro, we screened a panel of currently used neuropsychopharmaca for comparable effects...
- Levetiracetam inhibits Na+-dependent Cl-/HCO3- exchange of adult hippocampal CA3 neurons from guinea-pigsTobias Leniger
Department of Neurology, University of Essen, Hufelandstr 55, Essen 45122, Germany
Br J Pharmacol 142:1073-80. 2004..These data show that LEV at clinically relevant concentrations inhibits Na+-dependent Cl-/HCO3- exchange, lowers neuronal pHi, and thereby may contribute to its anticonvulsive activity...
- Carbonic anhydrase inhibitor sulthiame reduces intracellular pH and epileptiform activity of hippocampal CA3 neuronsTobias Leniger
Department of Neurology, University of Essen, Essen, Germany
Epilepsia 43:469-74. 2002..The aim of the study was to elucidate the mode of action of sulthiame with respect to possible changes of intracellular pH (pHi) that might develop along with sulthiame's anticonvulsant properties...
- An open trial of gabapentin in acute alcohol withdrawal using an oral loading protocolUdo Bonnet
LVR Hospital of Essen, University of Duisburg Essen, Virchowstr 174, D 45147 Essen, Germany
Alcohol Alcohol 45:143-5. 2010..Because earlier works showed that moderate gabapentin doses were too low to clearly ameliorate severe AWS, we tested a higher gabapentin entry dose...
- Comparison of two oral symptom-triggered pharmacological inpatient treatments of acute alcohol withdrawal: clomethiazole vs. clonazepamUdo Bonnet
Department of Addictive Behaviour and Addiction Medicine, LVR Hospital of Essen, University of Duisburg Essen, Virchowstr 174, D 45147 Essen, Germany
Alcohol Alcohol 46:68-73. 2011..To compare two inpatient symptom-triggered pharmacological treatments of acute alcohol withdrawal (AWS) (clomethiazole vs. clonazepam)...
- Efficacy and safety of levetiracetam for the prevention of alcohol relapse in recently detoxified alcohol-dependent patients: a randomized trialChristoph Richter
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Charite Campus Mitte, Berlin, Germany
J Clin Psychopharmacol 32:558-62. 2012..Antiepileptics have been shown to reduce alcohol intake or to prevent relapse in patients with alcoholism...
- Age-related changes of the dentate nuclei in normal adults as revealed by 3D fast low angle shot (FLASH) echo sequence magnetic resonance imagingMatthias Maschke
Department of Neurology, University of Duisburg Essen, Hufelandstr 55, 45122 Essen, Germany
J Neurol 251:740-6. 2004..These age-dependent changes have to be taken into account in interpretation of disease related MR changes of cerebellar nuclei in patients with degenerative or acquired cerebellar ataxia...
- Lack of efficacy of naltrexone in the prevention of alcohol relapse: results from a German multicenter studyMarkus Gastpar
Department of Psychiatry of the University of Essen, Germany
J Clin Psychopharmacol 22:592-8. 2002..Nevertheless, the question arises whether self-reports of drinking are more reliable than gamma-GT as a measure of recent alcohol consumption...
- Vermal atrophy of alcoholics correlate with serum thiamine levels but not with dentate iron concentrations as estimated by MRIMatthias Maschke
Department of Neurology, University Duisburg Essen, Hufelandstr 55, 45122 Essen, Germany
J Neurol 252:704-11. 2005..344, p = 0.028). These results support the view that thiamine deficiency rather than direct neurotoxic effects of alcohol is the main causative factor for the development of alcoholic cerebellar degeneration...
- Different effects of GABAergic anticonvulsants on 4-aminopyridine-induced spontaneous GABAergic hyperpolarizations of hippocampal pyramidal cells--implication for their potency in migraine therapyT Leniger
Department of Neurology, University of Essen, Germany
Cephalalgia 20:533-7. 2000..As migraine therapy benefits from an augmentation of GABA activity, we recommend clinical studies of tiagabine as a fast-acting agent in migraine attacks...
- Transient restless legs-like syndrome as a complication of opiate withrawalN Scherbaum
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University Hospital, Essen, Germany
Pharmacopsychiatry 36:70-2. 2003..Transient RLS during opiate detoxification merits further interst in order to improve the treatment of sleep disturbances during detoxification and as a model of interaction of the dopaminergic and endorphine system in motor activity...
- Selective inhibition of the Na+/H+ exchanger type 3 activates CO2/H+-sensitive medullary neuronesM Wiemann
Institut fur Physiologie, Universität GH Essen, Hufelandstrasse 55, D 45122 Essen, Germany
Pflugers Arch 438:255-62. 1999..It is concluded that the selective inhibition of NHE3 acidifies and activates CO2/H+-sensitive neurones within the ventrolateral medulla oblongata...
- Modulation of voltage-gated channel currents by harmaline and harmaneFrank Splettstoesser
Institut fur Physiologie, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Universitat Duisburg Essen, Hufelandstrasse 55, 45122 Essen, Germany
Br J Pharmacol 144:52-8. 2005..We conclude that harmaline and harmane are modulators of I(Ca(V)) in vitro. This might be related to their neuroprotective effects...
- A case report of propofol dependence in a physicianUdo Bonnet
Rhine Hospital of Essen, Department of Addictive Behaviour and Addiction Medicine, Essen, Germany
J Psychoactive Drugs 40:215-7. 2008..The present case shows for the first time that craving for propofol can be quite intense and able to induce addictive behaviour...
- [Anticonvulsants in the treatment of alcoholism]U Bonnet
Arbeitsgruppe für klinische Suchtforschung an der Klinik für Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, LVR Klinikum Essen, Universitat Duisburg Essen, Essen
Fortschr Neurol Psychiatr 77:192-202. 2009..Currently, there exists any published controlled study for levetiracetam, which would be well suited in the treatment of alcoholism due to its favorable safety profile and low pharmacological interaction potential...
- Longitudinal patterns of benzodiazepine consumption in a German cohort of methadone maintenance treatment patientsMichael Specka
Addiction Research Group at the Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, LVR Hospital Essen, Hospital of the University Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
Hum Psychopharmacol 26:404-11. 2011..Cross-sectional studies show that considerable proportions of opiate dependents in methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) consume benzodiazepines (BZD). The longitudinal patterns of BZD use over time were described here...
- A rare case of dependence on pemolineUdo Bonnet
Klinik für Suchtmedizin und Abhängiges Verhalten, Rheinische Kliniken Essen, Universitat Duisburg Essen, Virchowstr 174, D 45147 Essen, Germany
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 30:1340-1. 2006..Therefore, this case confirms the experience that in the treatment of ADHD the high risk to develop a dependence on psychostimulants is combined with a history of stimulant abuse...
- Intensity of opiate withdrawal in relation to the 825C>T polymorphism of the G-protein beta 3 subunit geneB Lieb
Addiction Research Group at Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, LVR Hospital Essen, University of Duisburg Essen, Virchowstr 174, 45147 Essen, Germany
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 33:663-7. 2009..This study was carried out in order to test the hypothesis that carriers of the T allele have an increased sympathetic activity in opiate withdrawal...
- [Use of an outpatient treatment center for cannabis abuse]F Hölscher
Arbeitsgruppe Sucht an der Klinik für Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Klinik für Abhängiges Verhalten und Suchtmedizin, Rheinische Kliniken Essen, Universitat Duisburg Essen, Virchowstrasse 174, Essen, Germany
Nervenarzt 79:571-6. 2008..There has been an increase of cannabis-related disorders in Germany during the last 10 years. According treatments are being established, however little is known about the treatment populations...
- Cannabinoid receptor 1 blocker rimonabant (SR 141716) for treatment of alcohol dependence: results from a placebo-controlled, double-blind trialMichael Soyka
Department of Psychiatry, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Munich, Germany
J Clin Psychopharmacol 28:317-24. 2008..Taking the substantial numbers of animal studies suggesting a possible role of CB1 antagonists for the treatment of alcohol dependence into account, it seems worthwhile to further test cannabinoid blockers in the treatment of alcoholism...
- Low hospital admission rates following MDMA (Ecstasy) intake in Essen (Germany)Norbert Scherbaum
Department of Addictive Behaviour and Addiction Medicine, Rhine State Hospital, University Hospital Essen, Germany
Am J Addict 16:428-9. 2007