Affiliation: University of Essen
- A topographic event-related potential follow-up study on 'prepulse inhibition' in first and second episode patients with schizophreniaS Bender
Biological Psychiatry Research Group, The University Clinic for Adult Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Essen, Germany
Psychiatry Res 90:41-53. 1999..Gating of these stages of processing is impaired in psychotic patients and treatment tends to normalize gating in tandem with improvements of different types of symptoms...
- Influence of atypical neuroleptics on executive functioning in patients with schizophrenia: a randomized, double-blind comparison of olanzapine vs. clozapineStefan Bender
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Duisburg Essen, Germany
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 9:135-45. 2006..However, Stroop reaction time improved with olanzapine while clozapine had a stronger effect on improving negative symptoms, thus suggestive of a differential drug effect...
- Antipsychotic efficacy of the antidepressant trimipramine: a randomized, double-blind comparison with the phenothiazine perazineS Bender
University of Essen, Clinic for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Germany
Pharmacopsychiatry 36:61-9. 2003..The aim of the study was to investigate the antipsychotic potential of trimipramine in a controlled clinical trial comparing its antipsychotic efficacy with that of a neuroleptic...
- Safety and efficacy of combined clozapine-lithium pharmacotherapyStefan Bender
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, The University of Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 7:59-63. 2004....
- [Subjective experience of a computer-assisted cognitive training by patients with schizophrenia]S Bender
Klinik für Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie der Universität Duisburg Essen Rheinische Kliniken Essen, Essen
Nervenarzt 75:44-50. 2004..Computer anxiety scores at onset of treatment did not exceed normal values. After completion of the training, these scores were significantly reduced and subjective well-being significantly increased...
- Neuropsychological impairments predict the clinical course in schizophreniaWolfgang Wolwer
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf Rhineland State Clinics Düsseldorf, Bergische Landstrasse 2, Dusseldorf, Germany
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 258:28-34. 2008....
- Internal capsule size associated with outcome in first-episode schizophreniaThomas Wobrock
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Georg August University Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 259:278-83. 2009..In conclusion, reduced maximal area of ALIC, which can be interpreted as a disturbance of fronto-thalamic connectivity, is associated with poor outcome during the 1 year course of first-episode schizophrenia...
- The intensity dependence of auditory ERP components in unmedicated patients with major depression and healthy controls. An analysis of group differencesThomas Linka
Clinic for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Rheinische Kliniken Essen, University of Duisburg Essen, 45147 Essen, Germany
J Affect Disord 103:139-45. 2007..Therefore, the purpose of the present study was to compare the IDAP in unmedicated depressed patients with that of healthy control subjects...
- The intensity dependence of the auditory evoked N1 component as a predictor of response to Citalopram treatment in patients with major depressionThomas Linka
Clinic for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Duisburg Essen, Virchowstrasse 174, 45147 Essen, Germany
Neurosci Lett 367:375-8. 2004..Our results indicate an association of N1 amplitude intensity dependence with response to antidepressant treatment with Citalopram...
- Maintenance treatment with risperidone or low-dose haloperidol in first-episode schizophrenia: 1-year results of a randomized controlled trial within the German Research Network on SchizophreniaWolfgang Gaebel
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Heinrich Heine University of Dusseldorf, Rhineland State Clinics Düsseldorf, Dusseldorf, Germany
J Clin Psychiatry 68:1763-74. 2007..Accordingly, the hypothesis of whether 1-year relapse rate in first-episode schizophrenia under maintenance treatment with risperidone is lower compared to haloperidol in low dose was tested...
- Conditioned blocking and schizophrenia: a replication and study of the role of symptoms, age, onset-age of psychosis and illness-durationS Bender
University Clinic for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Virchowstr. 174. 45147, Essen, Germany
Schizophr Res 49:157-70. 2001..In contrast, continued CB during testing reflects an unusual persistence of automatic processing strategies...
- The intensity dependence of auditory evoked ERP components predicts responsiveness to reboxetine treatment in major depressionT Linka
Clinic for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Rheinische Kliniken Essen, University of Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
Pharmacopsychiatry 38:139-43. 2005..In patients with major depression, associations of high IDAP with favorable SSRI treatment outcome have been reported. This is the first study to assess the predictive value of the IDAP in SNRI treatment...
- Randomized double blind comparison of olanzapine vs. clozapine on subjective well-being and clinical outcome in patients with schizophreniaD Naber
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Germany
Acta Psychiatr Scand 111:106-15. 2005..This randomized double-blind multicenter trial evaluated the effects of olanzapine vs. clozapine on subjective well-being, quality of life (QOL) and clinical outcome...
- Neuropsychological and conditioned blocking performance in patients with schizophrenia: assessment of the contribution of neuroleptic dose, serum levels and dopamine D2-receptor occupancyR D Oades
University Clinic for Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Essen, Germany
Behav Pharmacol 11:317-30. 2000..g. CB, verbal fluency) and temporal lobe functions (verbal recall) as well as in some non-verbal abilities mediated more in the right hemisphere in patients with schizophrenia...
- The efficacy of the dopamine D2/D3 antagonist tiapride in maintaining abstinence: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial in 299 alcohol-dependent patientsStefan Bender
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Rhine State Hospital, University Hospital Essen, Germany
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 10:653-60. 2007..Regarding the high success rate in the placebo group the influence of psychosocial treatment in studies investigating drug effects on the course of alcohol dependence has to be considered...
- Sexual dysfunction in psychiatric inpatients the role of antipsychotic medicationJ Westheide
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Pharmacopsychiatry 40:140-5. 2007....
- Modulation of mismatch negativity by stimulus deviance and modality of attentionBernhard W Müller
Biological Psychiatry Research Group Schizophrenia, Clinic for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Essen, Virchowstrasse 174, 45147 Essen, Germany
Neuroreport 13:1317-20. 2002..Conversely, the effects of attention on the processing of low deviant stimuli appear to be fragile and diminish with increasing automaticity of task execution...
- Severe adverse drug reactions in psychiatric inpatients treated with neurolepticsS Bender
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
Pharmacopsychiatry 37:S46-53. 2004....
- Severe adverse drug reactions of antidepressants: results of the German multicenter drug surveillance program AMSPD Degner
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Georg August University, Goettingen, Germany
Pharmacopsychiatry 37:S39-45. 2004..For drugs that potently inhibit serotonin uptake, serum sodium concentration should be controlled when applied in high-dose therapy or in vulnerable patients...
- Functional MRI BOLD response to Tower of London performance of first-episode schizophrenia patients using cortical pattern matchingPaul E Rasser
Neuroscience Institute of Schizophrenia and Allied Disorders NISAD, Australia
Neuroimage 26:941-51. 2005....
- Nonresponse to clozapine and ultrarapid CYP1A2 activity: clinical data and analysis of CYP1A2 geneChin B Eap
Unite de Biochimie et Psychopharmacologie Clinique, Departement universitaire de psychiatrie adulte, Hôpital de Cery, Prilly Lausanne, Switzerland
J Clin Psychopharmacol 24:214-9. 2004..Due to the high frequency of smokers among patients with schizophrenia and to the high frequency of the -164C > A polymorphism, CYP1A2 genotyping could have important clinical implications for the treatment of patients with CLO...
- Functional brain maps of Tower of London performance: a positron emission tomography and functional magnetic resonance imaging studyUlrich Schall
Centre for Mental Health Studies, University of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Neuroimage 20:1154-61. 2003..These results imply consistency across the two neuroimaging modalities, particularly for the assessment of prefrontal brain function when using a parametric TOL adaptation...