Affiliation: University of Bielefeld
- Generating survival times to simulate Cox proportional hazards modelsRalf Bender
Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care, Cologne, Germany
Stat Med 24:1713-23. 2005....
- [Interpretation of efficacy measures derived from 2 X 2 tables for the evaluation of diagnostic tests and treatment]R Bender
Fakultät für Gesundheitswissenschaften, Universitat Bielefeld
Med Klin (Munich) 96:116-21. 2001..For the comprehension of these measures the knowledge of their properties in the framework of probability theory is necessary...
- Calculating confidence intervals for the number needed to treatR Bender
Department of Epidemiology and Medical Statistics, School of Public Health, University of Bielefeld, P O Box 100131, D 33501 Bielefeld, Germany
Control Clin Trials 22:102-10. 2001..In this paper it is shown that the application of the Wilson score method improves the calculation and presentation of confidence intervals for the number needed to treat. Control Clin Trials 2001;22:102-110..
- Calculating the "number needed to be exposed" with adjustment for confounding variables in epidemiological studiesRalf Bender
Department of Epidemiology and Medical Statistics, School of Public Health, University of Bielefeld, PO Box 100131, D 33501 Bielefeld, Germany
J Clin Epidemiol 55:525-30. 2002..The adjusted number needed to be exposed can be a useful complement to the commonly presented results in epidemiological studies, such as ORs and attributable risks...
- Body weight, blood pressure, and mortality in a cohort of obese patientsRalf Bender
Department of Epidemiology and Medical Statistics, School of Public Health, University of Bielefeld, Bielefeld, Germany
Am J Epidemiol 156:239-45. 2002..0, 2.7) but not for women (hazard ratio = 0.71, 95% confidence interval: 0.4, 1.2). These findings support previous observations that the risk of death is lower for hypertensive men in high compared with low BMI groups...
- Adjusting for multiple testing--when and how?R Bender
Institute of Epidemiology and Medical Statistics, School of Public Health, University of Bielefeld, Germany
J Clin Epidemiol 54:343-9. 2001..In case of multiple significance tests a note on the error rate that will be controlled for is desirable...
- [Aspects of sample size determination and power calculation illustrated on examples from rehabilitation research]M Kutschmann
AG Epidemiologie and International Public Health, Fakultät für Gesundheitswissenschaften, Universitat Bielefeld
Rehabilitation (Stuttg) 45:377-84. 2006..The aim of this paper is to point out the principles of sample size estimation as well as to emphasize its importance not only in general but also in medical rehabilitation research...
- Calculating confidence intervals for impact numbersMandy Hildebrandt
Department of Medical Biometry, Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care IQWiG, Dillenburger Str, 27, 51105 Cologne, Germany
BMC Med Res Methodol 6:32. 2006..In this paper, we present methods to calculate confidence intervals for the new impact numbers in the situation of cohort studies...
- Causes of death in obesity: relevant increase in cardiovascular but not in all-cancer mortalityRalf Bender
Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care, Dillenburger Str 27, Cologne D 51105, Germany
J Clin Epidemiol 59:1064-71. 2006..To assess the relation between body mass index (BMI) and the risk of death from various causes in a prospective cohort study...
- Confidence intervals for adjusted NNEs: a simulation studyRalf Bender
J Clin Epidemiol 56:205-6. 2003
- Effect of Berkson measurement error on parameter estimates in Cox regression modelsHelmut Kuchenhoff
Department of Statistics, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, Akademiestr 1, 80799, Munchen, Germany
Lifetime Data Anal 13:261-72. 2007..Even the effect of a Berkson measurement error with high variance, which is not unrealistic in our example, is a negligible attenuation of the observed effect. However, this effect is more pronounced for multiplicative measurement error...
- Prognosis for abutment teeth of removable dentures: a retrospective studyAndree Piwowarczyk
Department of Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt Main, Germany
J Prosthodont 16:377-82. 2007..This retrospective study evaluates the clinical success of conical crown-retained removable dentures...
- [Assessment of the number of cardio- and cerebrovascular events due to rofecoxib (Vioxx) in Germany between 2001 and 2004]Peter T Sawicki
Institut für Qualität und Wirtschaftlichkeit im Gesundheitswesen IQWiG, Koln
Med Klin (Munich) 101:191-7. 2006....
- Tutorial: using confidence curves in medical researchRalf Bender
Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care, Cologne, Germany
Biom J 47:237-47. 2005..In medical research more emphasis on the choice between the one- and two-sided approaches should be given. One- and two-sided confidence curves are useful complements to the conventional methods of presenting study results...
- Eight-year trends in food, energy and macronutrient intake in a sample of elderly German subjectsSvenja M Jungjohann
Institute of Nutritional Science, Justus-Liebig-University, Goethestr. 55, D-35 390 Giessen, Germany
Br J Nutr 93:361-78. 2005..79 and -2.56 g/d per year). The healthier food choices and the ability to change food habits could be related to the relatively high health-awareness of the GISELA subjects compared to the federal average of equivalent age groups...
- The impact of non-compliance with the therapeutic regimen on the development of stroke among hypertensive men and women in Gaza, PalestineBernhard T Baune
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Muenster, Albert Schweitzer Street 11, D 48129 Muenster, Germany
Saudi Med J 25:1683-8. 2004..To identify potential risk factors we investigated compliance with the therapeutic regimen and life style factors which may increase the risk for stroke...
- Predictors of adherence to the use of hip protectors in nursing home residentsAndrea Warnke
Unit of Health Sciences and Education, University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
J Am Geriatr Soc 52:340-5. 2004..To assess predictors of hip-protector use in nursing home residents under usual-care conditions and after intervention consisting of structured education of nurses and nursing home residents and provision of free hip protectors...
- Helicobacter pylori and carcinogenesis of gastric B-cell lymphomasJohannes Seydel
Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
Int J Cancer 104:646-9. 2003..The findings support the hypothesis that MZBL and DLBL have different lines of development. There is indication of stronger antigen dependency in the carcinogenesis of MZBL in comparison to DLBL...
- Estimating adjusted NNT measures in logistic regression analysisRalf Bender
Department of Medical Biometry, Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care IQWiG, Cologne, Germany
Stat Med 26:5586-95. 2007..The proposed method is illustrated by application to data of a cohort study investigating the effect of smoking on coronary heart disease...