Affiliation: Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin
- Dose reduction in whole-body computed tomography of multiple injuries (DoReMI): protocol for a prospective cohort studyDirk Stengel
Centre for Clinical Research, Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin Trauma Centre, Warener Str, 7, Berlin 12683, Germany
Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med 22:15. 2014..This study aims at investigating whether the radiation dose can safely be reduced in trauma patients without compromising the diagnostic accuracy and image quality...
- Welcome to a decade of action that can make a change!Uli Schmucker
Department of Trauma and Orthopedic Surgery, Center for Clinical Research, Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin, Warener Str, 7, Berlin, 12683, Germany
J Trauma Manag Outcomes 7:1. 2013..More than 100 countries around the world will kick off the first global Decade of Action for Road Safety 2011-2020, a decade that we believe can make a change!..
- The changing landscape of product development and randomized trialsDirk Stengel
Center for Clinical Research, Department of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin Trauma Center, Warener Strasse7, 12683 Berlin, Germany
J Bone Joint Surg Am 94:85-91. 2012..Finally, RCTs should be conducted, conditional to the presumed level of innovation of a new implant, and supplemented by data from registries to fully determine the utility, value, and safety of the intervention...
- Accuracy of single-pass whole-body computed tomography for detection of injuries in patients with major blunt traumaDirk Stengel
Centre for Clinical Research, Unfall krankenhaus Berlin, Berlin, Germany
CMAJ 184:869-76. 2012..We sought to determine the accuracy of this method, focusing on the reliability of negative results...
- Real-world car-to-pedestrian-crash data from an urban centreUli Schmucker
Dept of Orthopedic and Trauma Surgery, Ernst Moritz Arndt University Greifswald, Sauerbruchstrasse, 17475 Greifswald, Germany
J Trauma Manag Outcomes 4:2. 2010..Pedestrians are at a high risk for crash and injury. This study aims at comparing data from real world crashes with data gathered from experimental settings...
- A new approach and first steps to strengthen trauma management and road safety in North VietnamUli Schmucker
Ernst Moritz Arndt University Greifswald, Department of Trauma and Orthopedic Surgery, Sauerbruchstrasse, 17575 Greifswald, Germany
J Trauma Manag Outcomes 2:10. 2008....
- Resorbable screws versus pins for optimal transplant fixation (SPOT) in anterior cruciate ligament replacement with autologous hamstring grafts: rationale and design of a randomized, controlled, patient and investigator blinded trial [ISRCTN17384369]Dirk Stengel
Department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin Trauma Center, Warener Str 7, 12683 Berlin, Germany
BMC Surg 5:1. 2005..The objective of this study is to determine whether pinning of ACL grafts reduces residual anterior laxity six months after surgery as compared to screw fixation...
- Surgeons' beliefs and perceptions about removal of orthopaedic implantsBeate Hanson
AO Foundation, Clinical Investigation and Documentation, Dubendorf, Switzerland
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 9:73. 2008..There are no evidence-based guidelines on this matter, and little is known on surgeons' practice and perceived effectiveness of implant removal in different clinical settings...
- Functional outcomes and health-related quality of life after robot-assisted anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with patellar tendon graftsDirk Stengel
Center for Clinical Research, Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 17:446-55. 2009..Compared to literature data, robot-assisted ACL reconstruction with BTB grafts may lead to higher knee stability, but poorer functional outcomes. The immense additional efforts with the procedure did not pay off in a benefit to patients...
- [Outcomes research: definitions, methods and challenges in trauma and orthopaedic surgery]D Stengel
Zentrum für Klinische Forschung, Klinik für Unfallchirurgie und Orthopädie, Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin, Warener Strasse 7, 12683, Berlin, Deutschland
Unfallchirurg 110:792-6. 2007..Outcomes research investigates both the desirable and adverse effects of medical and surgical interventions under day-to-day conditions...
- [Modelling critical information measurement traumatic surgery decisions. "Sequential Information Appraisal Module (SIAM)"]D Stengel
Abteilung für Unfall und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Klinik und Poliklinik für Chirurgie, Ernst Moritz Arndt Universitat Greifswald
Unfallchirurg 108:551-8. 2005..49) and slight to fair in phase 3 (kappa=0.23). Retest reliability ranged from 51% to 91%. Doctors give priority to only a small part of the information available in deciding for or against a particular intervention...
- Association between compliance with methodological standards of diagnostic research and reported test accuracy: meta-analysis of focused assessment of US for traumaDirk Stengel
Clinical Epidemiology Division, Department of Orthopedic and Trauma Surgery, Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin Trauma Center, Warener Str 7, 12683 Berlin, Germany
Radiology 236:102-11. 2005..To study whether compliance with methodological standards affected the reported accuracy of screening ultrasonography (US) for trauma...
- A likelihood ratio approach to meta-analysis of diagnostic studiesD Stengel
Department of Trauma Surgery, Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin Trauma Centre, Warener Str 7, 12683 Berlin, Germany
J Med Screen 10:47-51. 2003..To develop a clinically and methodologically sound approach to diagnostic meta-analysis...
- [Clinical studies in accident surgery. III: p-values and confidence intervals]D Stengel
Zentrum für Klinische Forschung, Klinik fur Unfall und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Unfallkrankenhaus, Warener Strasse 7, 12683 Berlin, Deutschland
Unfallchirurg 109:793-6. 2006
- Graphical data presentationDirk Stengel
Centre for Clinical Research, Department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin, Warener Str 7, 12683 Berlin, Germany
Injury 39:659-65. 2008..The researcher's essential graphical toolbox should contain histograms, bar charts (always with measures of error), box-and-whiskers plots, scatter plots and forest plots...
- Association between a single-pass whole-body computed tomography policy and survival after blunt major trauma: a retrospective cohort studyMartin Hutter
Department of Trauma and Orthopedic Surgery, Berufsgenossenschaftliche Unfallklinik Murnau, Prof Küntscher Str 8, 82418 Murnau, Germany
Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med 19:73. 2011..We hypothesized that a liberal pan-scan policy is mainly an indicator of enhanced process quality of emergency care that may lead to improved survival regardless of the actual use of the method...
- Primary pan-computed tomography for blunt multiple trauma: can the whole be better than its parts?Dirk Stengel
Dept of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin and University of Greifswald, Germany
Injury 40:S36-46. 2009..In addition, triage criteria need to be refined to increase specificity and reduce the number of unnecessary scans...
- Efficacy of total ankle replacement with meniscal-bearing devices: a systematic review and meta-analysisDirk Stengel
Department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Friedrich Loeffler Str 23b, 17489, Greifswald, Germany
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 125:109-19. 2005..There is, however, no systematic approach to the available scientific evidence allowing for a critical appraisal of their benefits and risks...
- Shed L-selectin (sCD62L) load in trauma patientsD Stengel
Department of Trauma Surgery, Emst Moritz Arndt University, Greifswald, Germany
J Surg Res 99:321-7. 2001..The objective of this study was to determine the robustness of soluble L-selectin, correcting for a broad spectrum of physiological variables...
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of antibiotic therapy for bone and joint infectionsD Stengel
Trauma Surgery Branch, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Greifswald, Germany
Lancet Infect Dis 1:175-88. 2001..The observed heterogeneity among patient populations and medical and surgical treatment concepts preclude reliable inferences from the available data...
- [Clinical trials in orthopedic and trauma surgery: randomized or non-randomized?]D Stengel
AG Klinische Epidemiologie, Klinik fur Unfall und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin
Unfallchirurg 106:294-9. 2003..It must be emphasized that these designs will require a similarly rigorous planning (i.e., study protocols, ethics, sample size considerations) and analysis of the results...
- [Emergency ultrasound for blunt abdominal trauma--meta-analysis update 2003]D Stengel
Klinische Epidemiologie, Klinik fur Unfall und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin
Zentralbl Chir 128:1027-37. 2003..43). Thus, in case of a 35% prevalence, the post-test probability has to estimated at 19%. Emergency ultrasound provides high specificity but insufficient sensitivity to reliably rule out intraabdominal injury...
- Comparison of handheld computer-assisted and conventional paper chart documentation of medical records. A randomized, controlled trialDirk Stengel
Clinical Epidemiology Division, Department of Orthopedic and Trauma Surgery, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Friedrich Loeffler Strasse 23b, 17489 Greifswald, Germany
J Bone Joint Surg Am 86:553-60. 2004..The purpose of the present study was to determine whether the introduction of a handheld computer could improve both the quantitative and qualitative aspects of medical records...
- [Industry sponsoring and the results of research into accident surgery]D Stengel
Klinik fur Unfall und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Unfallkrankenhaus, Berlin
Unfallchirurg 107:341-2. 2004
- [Clinical studies in casualty surgery. II: hypothesis formulation and hypothesis testing]D Stengel
Klinische Epidemiologie, Klinik fur Unfall und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Unfallkrankenhaus, Berlin
Unfallchirurg 107:437-9. 2004
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of emergency ultrasonography for blunt abdominal traumaD Stengel
Department of Trauma Surgery, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Greifswald, Germany
Br J Surg 88:901-12. 2001..How precise and reliable is ultrasonography as a primary tool for injury assessment in blunt abdominal trauma?..
- Prognostic value of an early soluble L-selectin (sCD62L) assay for risk assessment in blunt multiple trauma: a metaanalysisDirk Stengel
Clinical Epidemiology Division, Department of Orthopedic and Trauma Surgery, Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin, 12683 Berlin, Germany
Clin Chem 51:16-24. 2005..Individual studies have had conflicting results, however. We examined multiple studies in an attempt to determine whether early sCD62L concentrations are predictive of major complications after severe trauma...
- Recurrence risks in randomized trials of laparoscopic versus open inguinal hernia repair: to pool or not to pool (this is not the question)Dirk Stengel
Clinical Epidemiology Division, Department of Trauma and Orthopedic Surgery, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Greifswald, Germany
Langenbecks Arch Surg 389:492-8. 2004..Considering important arguments raised by both conventional and laparoscopic surgeons, we set out to explore other sources of variability across individual studies...
- [Intra-articular therapy with autologous interleukin-1 receptor antagonist in osteoarthritis. Innovation or quackery?]D Stengel
Fachbereich Klinische Epidemiologie, Klinik fur Unfall und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Unfallkrankenhaus, Berlin
Unfallchirurg 107:1103-6. 2004
- [A rapid review of the minimum quality problems using total knee arthroplasty as an example. Where do the magical threshold values come from?]D Stengel
Fachbereich Klinische Epidemiologie, Klinik für Unfall und Wiederherstellungschirurgie des Unfallkrankenhauses Berlin
Unfallchirurg 107:967-88. 2004..We found homogeneous results about hospital mortality. Between 2551 and 821 TKA must be performed by high-volume rather than by low-volume providers to prevent 1 extra death. Absolute event rates are notably small...
- Biweekly pegylated liposomal doxorubicin in patients with relapsed ovarian cancer: results of a multicenter phase-II trialJ Sehouli
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Charite University Medical Center, Berlin, Germany
Ann Oncol 17:957-61. 2006..There is evidence that dose reduction from 50 to 40 mg/m(2) reduces the incidence of PPE without compromising cytotoxic activity. We set out to investigate whether biweekly application further improves the therapeutic index of PLD...
- [Assessment of injury severity at the accident scene by the emergency physician: utility of technical crash parameters: results of a pilot study]G Matthes
Abteilung für Unfall und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Klinik und Poliklinik für Chirurgie, Universitätsmedizin Greifswald, Deutschland
Unfallchirurg 116:825-30. 2013..Technical parameters of road traffic crashes are routinely documented by emergency physicians on scene. It is, however, unclear whether this information contributes to the estimation of injury severity of vehicle drivers...
- [Accidents, illness and injuries involved in road haulage : consequences for medical care and prevention]U Schmucker
AG Prävention von Verletzungen der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Unfallchirurgie e V, Berlin, Deutschland
Unfallchirurg 115:1022-30. 2012..Therefore this article presents the"DocStop Initiative" for medical care on the road, an initiative that runs an international network of care providers (http://www.docstop-online.eu)...
- [Age and survival likelihood of polytrauma patients. "Local tailoring" of the DGU prognosis model]G Matthes
Abteilung fur Unfallchirurgie, Klinik und Poliklinik für Chirurgie, Ernst Moritz Arndt Universitat, Greifswald
Unfallchirurg 108:288-92. 2005..Furthermore, we investigated whether age itself or age-associated comorbidity causes an unfavorable prognostic effect...
- [Road traffic crashes in developing countries]U Schmucker
Abt Unfall und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Unfallforschung Greifswald, Ernst Moritz Arndt Universitat Greifswald, Sauerbruchstrasse, 17475, Greifswald
Unfallchirurg 113:373-7. 2010..This article is considered a wake-up call for trauma, orthopaedic, and emergency surgeons in high-income countries to join the global community in fighting the neglected yet potentially curable epidemic named road traffic injuries...
- [The clinical use of the ISO-C(3D) imaging system in calcaneus fracture surgery]A Rübberdt
Klinik fur Unfall und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Unfallkrankenhaus, Berlin
Unfallchirurg 109:112-8. 2006..2%/14.6%). These results suggest that intraoperative 3D Iso-C(3D) imaging provides a high diagnostic reliability. By careful assessment of the images the surgeons receive information which could lead to a change of the operative strategy...
- Discriminatory power of 3.5 MHz convex and 7.5 MHz linear ultrasound probes for the imaging of traumatic splenic lesions: a feasibility studyD Stengel
Department of Trauma Surgery, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Greifswald, Germany
J Trauma 51:37-43. 2001..The objective of this study was to determine the diagnostic value of different ultrasound transducers for the precise detection of visceral damage rather than its surrogates in case of splenic injury...
- Oldie but goldie: Bristow-Latarjet procedure for anterior shoulder instabilityG Matthes
Department of Orthopedic and Trauma Surgery, Ernst Moritz Arndt University Greifswald, Greifswald, Germany
J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 15:4-8. 2007..To analyse the functional and radiological outcomes of the Bristow-Latarjet procedure in patients with recurrent anterior glenohumeral instability...
- [Diagnostic efficacy of gadodiamide-enhanced dynamic examination technique in comparison to conventional magnet resonance tomography in exacerbated chronic osteomyelitis]G Rademacher
Institut fur Radiologie, Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin
Rofo 175:1417-23. 2003..To evaluate the diagnostic effectiveness of dynamic gadodiamide-enhanced MRI in discriminating reparative tissue formation from florid inflammation in patients with chronic osteomyelitis...
- [Limits of clinical pathways. Implant-associated infections]J Seifert
Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin, 12683 Berlin
Orthopade 39:777-84. 2010....
- A phase II study of topotecan plus gemcitabine in the treatment of patients with relapsed ovarian cancer after failure of first-line chemotherapyJ Sehouli
Departments of Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Charité Virchow University Hospital, Berlin, Germany
Ann Oncol 13:1749-55. 2002..We investigated the toxicity profile and therapeutic efficacy of a novel combination regimen, topotecan plus gemcitabine, in a clinical phase II study...
- Second-line treatment of limb-threatening diabetic foot infections with intravenous fosfomycinD Stengel
Center for Clinical Research, Department of Orthopedic and Trauma Surgery, University of Greifswald, Germany
J Chemother 17:527-35. 2005..The present data warrant a larger comparative trial to stabilize effect estimates...
- A new pathway to classification of complex hand injuries: a clinical pilot testing using a new method of assessmentA Eisenschenk
Abteilung für Hand, Replantations und Mikrochirurgie, Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin, Warener Str 7, 12683, Berlin, Germany
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 132:1343-51. 2012..With further study, we could evaluate the assessment sheet and try to create a classification of the grade of severity as well as prognostic values like return to the former occupation and rehabilitation time...
- Is it possible to minimize overdrainage complications with gravitational units in patients with idiopathic normal pressure hydrocephalus? Protocol of the randomized controlled SVASONA Trial (ISRCTN51046698)J Lemcke
Department of Neurosurgery, Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Acta Neurochir Suppl 106:113-5. 2010..The presented trial is currently recruiting patients, with the first results predicted to be available in late 2008...
- [Clinical studies in traumatology: I. Study designs]S Sauerland
Biochemische und Experimentelle Abteilung, II Chirurgischer Lehrstuhl, Universitat, Koln, Germany
Unfallchirurg 106:690-1. 2003
- [Osteomyelitis of the carpus and metacarpus]A Eisenschenk
Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin, Abteilung für Hand, Replantations und Mikrochirurgie
Z Orthop Ihre Grenzgeb 143:479-85. 2005..Because of the low prevalence, there is poor evidence on the effective management of bone and joint infections of the carpus and metacarpus. We therefore studied the outcomes of patients undergoing surgical treatment at our department...
- [Do injuries of the upper extremity in geriatric patients end up in helplessness? A prospective study for the outcome of distal radius and proximal humerus fractures in individuals over 65]T Einsiedel
Abteilung für Unfall, Hand, Plastische und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Universitatsklinikum Ulm, Steinhovelstrasse 9, 89075, Ulm, Germany
Z Gerontol Geriatr 39:451-61. 2006..In both groups of patients there was a significant worsening in the ability of walking after injury, leading to two or more new falls in 24% of DRF and 28% of PHF patients...
- [Surgical management of abdominal injury]G Matthes
Ernst Moritz Arndt Universitat Greifswald, Unfall und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Sauerbruchstrasse, 17475 Greifswald
Unfallchirurg 109:437-46. 2006..Accompanying abdominal injuries are frequent in multiply injured patients and are a common cause of death. A search of the literature was performed focusing on key aspects of initial surgical procedures in abdominal injury...
- [Of desk-economists and doctors at the bedside within a health care system: they should learn from each other]F Porzsolt
Klinische Okonomik, Universitatsklinikum Ulm, Frauensteige 6, 89075 Ulm
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 132:1000-3. 2007