- Binh M, Hoan N, Van Tong H, Giang D, Sy B, Toan N, et al. HDV infection rates in northern Vietnam. Sci Rep. 2018;8:8047 pubmed publisher..HDV nucleic acid testing to minimize the associated risk should be considered. ..
- Port J, Nguetse C, Adukpo S, Velavan T. A reliable and rapid method for molecular detection of malarial parasites using microwave irradiation and loop mediated isothermal amplification. Malar J. 2014;13:454 pubmed publisher..The methodology has been validated as a proof of concept and has specifically be developed for use at low-resource settings. Such RmDTs may aid health providers to make timely therapeutic interventions in malaria endemic regions. ..
- Trung N, Hien T, Huyen T, Quyen D, Van Son T, Hoan P, et al. Enrichment of bacterial DNA for the diagnosis of blood stream infections. BMC Infect Dis. 2016;16:235 pubmed publisher..With the detection increase of our in-house DNA removal approach, subsequent PCR assays can reach detection limits of 10 E. coli CFUs/ml and significantly improve the diagnostic rate in blood sepsis cases. ..
- Nguetse C, Meyer C, Adegnika A, Agbenyega T, Ogutu B, Kremsner P, et al. Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency and reduced haemoglobin levels in African children with severe malaria. Malar J. 2016;15:346 pubmed publisher..In addition, there was no association of G6PD variant types with parasite densities on admission. ..
- Van Tong H, Brindley P, Meyer C, Velavan T. Parasite Infection, Carcinogenesis and Human Malignancy. EBioMedicine. 2017;15:12-23 pubmed publisher..Observations suggest that Strongyloides stercoralis may be a relevant co-factor in HTLV-1-related T cell lymphomas. This review provides an overview of the mechanisms of parasitic infection-induced carcinogenicity. ..
- Hoan N, Tong H, Song L, Meyer C, Velavan T. Vitamin D deficiency and hepatitis viruses-associated liver diseases: A literature review. World J Gastroenterol. 2018;24:445-460 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, current literature was reviewed in order to understand the effects of vitamin D supplementation in combination with IFN-based therapy on the virological response in HBV and HCV infected patients. ..
- Sandri T, Lidani K, Andrade F, Meyer C, Kremsner P, de Messias Reason I, et al. Human complement receptor type 1 (CR1) protein levels and genetic variants in chronic Chagas Disease. Sci Rep. 2018;8:526 pubmed publisher..15) whereas CR1*AGGGTG was related to the risk of chagasic cardiomyopathy (p = 0.028, OR 12.15, CI 1.13-113). This is the first study that provides insights on the role of CR1 in development and clinical presentation of chronic CD. ..
- Sy B, Hoan N, Tong H, Meyer C, Toan N, Song L, et al. Genetic variants of interferon regulatory factor 5 associated with chronic hepatitis B infection. World J Gastroenterol. 2018;24:248-256 pubmed publisher..The IRF5*TCAT haplotype was also associated with increased levels of ALT, AST and bilirubin. Our study shows that IFR5 variants may contribute as a host factor in determining the pathogenesis in chronic HBV infections. ..
- Koukouikila Koussounda F, Jeyaraj S, Nguetse C, Nkonganyi C, Kokou K, Etoka Beka M, et al. Molecular surveillance of Plasmodium falciparum drug resistance in the Republic of Congo: four and nine years after the introduction of artemisinin-based combination therapy. Malar J. 2017;16:155 pubmed publisher..Taken together, this study could serve as the basis for epidemiological studies monitoring the distribution of molecular markers of artemisinin resistance in the Republic of Congo. ..
- Amorim L, Van Tong H, Hoan N, Vargas L, Ribeiro E, Petzl Erler M, et al. KIR-HLA distribution in a Vietnamese population from Hanoi. Hum Immunol. 2018;79:93-100 pubmed publisher..05). Studies regarding KIR-HLA in populations are of prime importance to understand their evolution, function and role in diseases. ..
- Velavan T, Bechlars S, Tomiuk J, Kremsner P, Kun J. Molecular characterization of regulatory polymorphisms in the promoter region of the STAT6 gene in a Gabonese population. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2011;106:65-9 pubmed..One promoter variant, rs3024944 (G/C), revealed an altered expression of the marker gene. The identification of function-altering SNPs in the promoter may facilitate studying parasite susceptibility in association studies...
- Trung N, Hien T, Huyen T, Quyen D, Binh M, Hoan P, et al. Simple multiplex PCR assays to detect common pathogens and associated genes encoding for acquired extended spectrum betalactamases (ESBL) or carbapenemases from surgical site specimens in Vietnam. Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob. 2015;14:23 pubmed publisher..This is the first report of Turkey-specific ESBL gene (PER-1) and two Oxacilinase families (Oxa23 and Oxa 58) in Vietnam. ..
- Velavan T, Bechlars S, Huang X, Kremsner P, Kun J. Novel regulatory SNPs in the promoter region of the TNFRSF18 gene in a Gabonese population. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2011;44:418-20 pubmed publisher..The detection and analysis of these human immune gene polymorphisms contribute to a better understanding of the interaction between host-parasite and expression of Treg activity. ..
- Hoan N, Tong H, Hecht N, Sy B, Marcinek P, Meyer C, et al. Hepatitis E Virus Superinfection and Clinical Progression in Hepatitis B Patients. EBioMedicine. 2015;2:2080-2086 pubmed publisher..This study indicates high prevalences of HEV infection in Vietnamese HBV patients and among healthy individuals and shows that HEV superinfection may influence the outcome and progression of HBV-related liver disease. ..
- Nguetse C, Adegnika A, Agbenyega T, Ogutu B, Krishna S, Kremsner P, et al. Molecular markers of anti-malarial drug resistance in Central, West and East African children with severe malaria. Malar J. 2017;16:217 pubmed publisher..This study indicates a need to constantly monitor drug resistance to artemisinin in field isolates from malaria-endemic countries. ..
- Velavan T, Ojurongbe O. Regulatory T cells and parasites. J Biomed Biotechnol. 2011;2011:520940 pubmed publisher..This review discusses the several mechanism of Treg-mediated immunosuppression in the human host and focuses on the functional role of Tregs and regulatory gene polymorphisms in infectious diseases...
- Velavan T, Büyükyazici B, Kremsner P, Kun J. Combined promoter haplotypes of the IL10R genes are associated with protection against severe malaria in Gabonese children. Immunogenetics. 2012;64:87-95 pubmed publisher..73 (95% CI 0.56-0.94) P?=?0.01]. This study may provide a better understanding on the role of IL10R promoter allelic variants contribution to a protective effect on the development of severe malaria. ..