- Epidemiology and ecology of TBE relevant to the production of effective vaccinesJochen Süss
Federal Institute for Risk Assessment, National Reference Laboratory for Tick Borne Diseases, Diedersdorfer Weg 1, D 12277 Berlin, Germany
Vaccine 21:S19-35. 2003..Therefore the review is a basis for travellers and inhabitants to get background information for their personal risk assessment...
- Tick-borne encephalitis (TBE) in Germany--epidemiological data, development of risk areas and virus prevalence in field-collected ticks and in ticks removed from humansJochen Süss
Federal Institute for Risk Assessment, National Reference Laboratory for Tick Borne Diseases, Berlin, Germany
Int J Med Microbiol 293:69-79. 2004..3%). Virus-positive partially engorged ticks were only found in districts known as risk areas. Nucleotide and deduced amino acid sequence data of the PCR products have confirmed the presence of virus prototype Neudoerfl only...
- TBE incidence versus virus prevalence and increased prevalence of the TBE virus in Ixodes ricinus removed from humansJochen Süss
National Reference Laboratory for Tick Borne Diseases, Friedrich Loeffler Institute, Federal Research Institute for Animal Health, Naumburger Strasse 96a, D 07743 Jena, Germany
Int J Med Microbiol 296:63-8. 2006..6% and in the district of Freyung-Grafenau with 18.3%. In recent studies on unfed I. ricinus (nymphs, adults), the average TBEV prevalence in ticks in Bavarian risk areas was between 0.5% and 2%...
- Molecular epidemiology of porcine H3N2 influenza A viruses isolated in Germany between 1982 and 2001Christina Schrader
Federal Institute for Risk Assessment Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Intervirology 47:72-7. 2004..The findings that different subtypes and drift variants are circulating in the German pig population explain the emergence of new influenza virus variants and the need for continued surveillance of swine...
- Characterization of tick-borne encephalitis (TBE) foci in Germany and Latvia (1997-2000)Jochen Süss
Bundesinstitut für gesundheitlichen Verbraucherschutz und Veterinärmedizin, Nationales Referenzlabor für durch Zecken ubertragene Krankheiten, Berlin, Germany
Int J Med Microbiol 291:34-42. 2002..persulcatus two strains have been found, the central European virus subtype (prototype Neudoerfl) and the Siberian virus subtype (prototype Vasilchenko). Sequences of the Far Eastern subtype have not been detected yet...
- [Food-borne human pathogenic viruses and their molecular detection with special consideration of noroviruses and hepatitis A virus in mussels]Christina Schrader
Bundesinstitut für Risikobewertung BfR, Berlin
Berl Munch Tierarztl Wochenschr 116:496-505. 2003..While most of the detection methods are cited from the literature, own preliminary results of virus detection in mussels are discussed in addition...
- Tickborne encephalitis in naturally exposed monkey (Macaca sylvanus)Jochen Süss
Friedrich Loeffler Institute, Jena, Germany
Emerg Infect Dis 13:905-7. 2007..TBE virus was present in the brain and could be identified as closely related to the European subtype, strain Neudoerfl...
- Can goats be used as sentinels for tick-borne encephalitis (TBE) in nonendemic areas? Experimental studies and epizootiological observationsChristine Klaus
Friedrich Loeffler Lnstitute, Jena, Germany
Berl Munch Tierarztl Wochenschr 123:441-5. 2010..However, noTBEV RNA could be detected. The results suggest that goats can be used as TBEV sentinels in defined areas. To verify this observation further investigations with a large number of animals are recommended...
- Tick-borne encephalitis in the age of general mobilityJochen Süss
National Reference Laboratory for Tick Borne Diseases, Friedrich Loeffler Institute Jena, Jena, Germany
Wien Med Wochenschr 160:94-100. 2010..Overall, the risk of any given person to contract TBE should not be regarded as a fixed entity, but rather it must be estimated individually, on the basis of knowledge of the TBE virus endemic areas and risk factors...
- What makes ticks tick? Climate change, ticks, and tick-borne diseasesJochen Süss
National Reference Laboratory for Tick Borne Diseases, Friedrich Loeffler Institute, Jena, Germany
J Travel Med 15:39-45. 2008
- Genetic characterization of a porcine H1N2 influenza virus strain isolated in GermanyChristine Schrader
Federal Institute for Health Protection of Consumers and Veterinary Medicine, Berlin, Germany
Intervirology 46:66-70. 2003..It is a result of a multiple reassortment event...
- Tick-borne encephalitis 2010: epidemiology, risk areas, and virus strains in Europe and Asia-an overviewJochen Süss
Friedrich Loeffler Institute, National Reference Laboratory for Tick Borne Diseases, Jena, Germany
Ticks Tick Borne Dis 2:2-15. 2011..The present review includes an overview of the epidemiological data on TBE in Europe and Asia gathered between 1990 and 2009 and describes old and especially new TBE risk areas in Europe and Asia...