- An extended association screen in multiple sclerosis using 202 microsatellite markers targeting apoptosis-related genes does not reveal new predisposing factorsRené Gödde
Department of Human Genetics, Ruhr University, Bochum, Germany
J Negat Results Biomed 4:7. 2005..No association of the ERBB3 marker with the disease was detected in these additional cohorts. In consequence, we did not find further evidence for apoptosis-related genes as predisposition factors in MS...
- Role of chemokines and their receptors in the pathogenesis of multiple sclerosisEckhart Sindern
Department of Neurology, BG Kliniken Bergmannsheil, Ruhr University, Burkle de la Camp Platz 1, 44789 Bochum, Germany
Front Biosci 9:457-63. 2004..Analysis of the chemokine system provides insights into mechanisms of CNS inflammatory reactions and may lead to new targets of therapeutic intervention in MS...
- Expression of chemokine receptor CXCR3 on cerebrospinal fluid T-cells is related to active MRI lesion appearance in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosisEckhart Sindern
Department of Neurology, Ruhr University, BG Kliniken Bergmannsheil, Burkle de la Camp Platz 1, 44789, Bochum, Germany
J Neuroimmunol 131:186-90. 2002..Our results suggest that MRI-documented disease activity is associated with an increase of CXCR3 positive T-cells in the CSF, possibly due to the migration of activated T-cells from the circulation into the CSF...
- Adult polyglucosan body disease: a postmortem correlation studyE Sindern
Department of Neurology, BG Kliniken Bergmannsheil, Ruhr University, Bochum, Germany
Neurology 61:263-5. 2003..GBE activity was decreased in the morphologically affected tissues but was normal in unaffected tissues. GBE mRNA transcripts were similar in all tissues and in controls, which confirms the lack of tissue-specific GBE isoforms...
- Differential release of beta-chemokines in serum and CSF of patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosisE Sindern
Departments of Neurology, Radiology, BG Kliniken Bergmannsheil, Ruhr University Bochum, FRG
Acta Neurol Scand 104:88-91. 2001..beta-chemokines were recently demonstrated in active MS-lesions. We tested whether MCP-1 and RANTES can also be detected in CSF and serum of patients with MS and whether release is associated with inflammatory disease activity...
- Inflammatory polyradiculoneuropathy with spinal cord involvement and lethal [correction of letal] outcome after hepatitis B vaccinationE Sindern
Neurologische Klinik, BG Kliniken Bergmannsheil, Ruhr Universitat, Burkle de la Camp Platz 1, 44789 Bochum, Germany
J Neurol Sci 186:81-5. 2001....
- [Fatal cardiomyopathy in adult in polyglucosan body disease]E Postler
Institut für Pathologie an den Berufsgenossenschaftlichen Kliniken Bergmannsheil, Burkle de la Camp Platz 1, 44789 Bochum
Pathologe 23:229-34. 2002..This observation shows that in addition to the known deposition of PGBs in nervous system and skeletal muscle, an involvement of the heart has to be considered in APBD as well...
- Expression of TNFalpha and TGFbeta1 in Guillain-Barré syndrome: correlation of a low TNFalpha-/TGFbeta1-mRNA ratio with good recovery and signs for immunoregulation within the cerebrospinal fluid compartmentL M Ossege
Institute of Neurology, Ruhr University of Bochum, BG Kliniken Bergmannsheil, Bochum, Germany
Eur J Neurol 7:17-25. 2000..In addition the investigations show that in GBS immunoregulatory mechanisms also take place in the CSF compartment itself and that CSF cells are involved in the production of pro-inflammatory as well as immunosuppressive cytokines...
- Changes of the MS functional composite and EDSS during and after treatment of relapses with methylprednisolone in patients with multiple sclerosisT Patzold
Department of Neurology, BG Kliniken Bergmannsheil, Ruhr University Bochum, FRG
Acta Neurol Scand 105:164-8. 2002..We examined the responsiveness of the MSFC compared with the Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS) during treatment of relapses in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS)...
- Immunomodulatory effects of interferon-beta-1b in patients with multiple sclerosisL M Ossege
Department of Neurology, Ruhr University of Bochum, BG Kliniken Bergmannsheil, 44789 Bochum, Germany
Int Immunopharmacol 1:1085-100. 2001..These might be other mechanisms by which IFN beta-1b mediates its positive effects in the treatment of MS patients...
- [Sleepiness and fatigue in multiple sclerosis - comparison of different measuring instruments]S Kotterba
Neurologische Klinik und Poliklinik, BG Kliniken Bergmannsheil Universitätsklinik, Bochum
Fortschr Neurol Psychiatr 71:590-4. 2003..Usually symptoms of MS are characterized by the Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS). In new studies the MSFC proves to be a more sensitive method especially estimating the cognitive deficits...
- Diagnosis of multiple sclerosis: comparison of the Poser criteria and the new McDonald criteriaT Fangerau
BG-Kliniken Bergmannsheil Bochum, Bochum, Germany
Acta Neurol Scand 109:385-9. 2004..but combining the categories of clinically and laboratory definite MS, the diagnosis of MS could clearly be established more frequently using the Poser criteria...
- Novel missense mutations in the glycogen-branching enzyme gene in adult polyglucosan body diseaseF Ziemssen
Department of Neurology, Ruhr University Bochum, Germany
Ann Neurol 47:536-40. 2000..This is the first identification of GBE mutations underlying adult polyglucosan body disease in a non-Ashkenazi family, and confirms that adult glycogen storage disease type IV can manifest clinically as adult polyglucosan body disease...
- Increase of CD8+ T-effector memory cells in peripheral blood of patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis compared to healthy controlsK F Haegele
Department of Neurology, BG Kliniken Bergmannsheil, Ruhr University Bochum, Buerkle de la Camp Platz 1, 44789 Bochum, Germany
J Neuroimmunol 183:168-74. 2007....
- Inhibitors in the NFkappaB cascade comprise prime candidate genes predisposing to multiple sclerosis, especially in selected combinationsB Miterski
Department of Molecular Human Genetics, Ruhr University, 44780 Bochum, Germany
Genes Immun 3:211-9. 2002..0001). A protecting allele was found in the NFKBIA promotor for the patients with primary progressive MS (15.4% vs 28.4% in the control group, P < 0.01). Given predisposing alleles increase MS risk dramatically in certain combinations...
- Assessment of driving performance in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis by a driving simulatorSylvia Kotterba
University Hospital Bergmannsheil, Division of Pneumology, Allergology and Sleep Medicine, Bochum, Germany
Eur Neurol 50:160-4. 2003....
- A genome screen for linkage disequilibrium in HLA-DRB1*15-positive Germans with multiple sclerosis based on 4666 microsatellite markersRene Goedde
Department of Molecular Human Genetics, Ruhr University, Universitatsstrasse 150, 44780 Bochum, Germany
Hum Genet 111:270-7. 2002....
- Refining the results of a whole-genome screen based on 4666 microsatellite markers for defining predisposition factors for multiple sclerosisRené Gödde
Department of Human Genetics, St Josef Hospital, Ruhr University, Bochum, Germany
Electrophoresis 25:2212-8. 2004..Therefore, in the near future comprehensive whole-genome screens may rather be performed by typing single nucleotide polymorphisms on chip-based platforms...
- Association of the HLA region with multiple sclerosis as confirmed by a genome screen using >10,000 SNPs on DNA chipsRené Gödde
Department of Human Genetics, Ruhr University, 44780 Bochum, Germany
J Mol Med (Berl) 83:486-94. 2005..A marker on chromosome 6p21.32 (rs2395182) yielded the highest significance level, validating the established HLA-DR association...
- The novel neurofilament light (NEFL) mutation Glu397Lys is associated with a clinically and morphologically heterogeneous type of Charcot-Marie-Tooth neuropathyStephan Zuchner
Institut für Neuropathologie, Universitätsklinikum der RWTH Aachen, Pauwelsstrasse 32, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Neuromuscul Disord 14:147-57. 2004..This correlative study further confirms that neurofilament light gene mutations cause a wide clinical spectrum. Thus, analysis of the neurofilament light gene should not be restricted to pure axonal neuropathies...