- Hand preferences in Barbary macaques (Macaca sylvanus)Vanessa Schmitt
German Primate Center, Gottingen, Germany
Laterality 13:143-57. 2008..For the unimanual, but not the bimanual task, we found that the handedness index increased with age. Our results add to the growing body of evidence that monkeys do not show hand preference at the population level...
- Old world monkeys compare to apes in the primate cognition test batteryVanessa Schmitt
Cognitive Ethology Lab, German Primate Center, Gottingen, Germany
PLoS ONE 7:e32024. 2012..One limitation, however, is that the initial experiments were devised to tap into human specific skills in the first place, thus potentially underestimating both true nonhuman primate competencies as well as species differences...
- Representational format determines numerical competence in monkeysVanessa Schmitt
Cognitive Ethology Laboratory, German Primate Center, Gottingen, Göttingen 37077, Germany
Nat Commun 2:257. 2011..Reward replacement apparently facilitated representation of the food items as signifiers for other foods, which in turn supported a higher acuity in decision making...
- Monkeys perform as well as apes and humans in a size discrimination taskVanessa Schmitt
Cognitive Ethology Laboratory, German Primate Center, Kellnerweg 4, 37077, Gottingen, Germany
Anim Cogn 16:829-38. 2013....
- Inferential reasoning and modality dependent discrimination learning in olive baboons (Papio hamadryas anubis)Vanessa Schmitt
Cognitive Ethology, German Primate Center, Gottingen, Germany
J Comp Psychol 123:316-25. 2009..Furthermore, they also highlight some important differences in the processing of auditory versus visual information in operant conditioning settings...