- Speciation and phylogeography in the cosmopolitan marine moon jelly, Aurelia spWerner Schroth
Ecology and Evolution, Biology Campus, JW Goethe University, Frankfurt M, D 60054 Frankfurt M, Germany
BMC Evol Biol 2:1. 2002..We used molecular data and phenotypic traits to unravel speciation processes and phylogeographic patterns in Aurelia...
- Concatenated analysis sheds light on early metazoan evolution and fuels a modern "urmetazoon" hypothesisBernd Schierwater
ITZ, Ecology and Evolution, Tierarztliche Hochschule Hannover, Hannover, Germany
PLoS Biol 7:e20. 2009....
- The early evolution of Hox genes: a battle of belief?Bernd Schierwater
ITZ, Ecology and Evolution, School of Veterinary Medicine, Hannover, Germany
Adv Exp Med Biol 689:81-90. 2010..The early split of these two lineages led to the evolution of a Hox system in Bilateria and the presence of Hox-like genes in Cnidaria and Placozoa...
- Current problems with the zootype and the early evolution of Hox genesB Schierwater
Tierärztliche Hochschule ITZ, Division of Ecology and Evolution, Bünteweg 17d, 30599 Hannover, Germany
J Exp Zool 291:169-74. 2001..The view presented is compatible with the idea that early Hox gene evolution started with a single proto-Hox (possibly a paraHox) gene. J. Exp. Zool. (Mol. Dev. Evol.) 291:169-174, 2001...
- Placozoa and the evolution of Metazoa and intrasomatic cell differentiationBernd Schierwater
Ecology and Evolution, Tierarztliche Hochschule Hannover, D 30559 Hannover, Germany
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 41:370-9. 2009....
- My favorite animal, Trichoplax adhaerensBernd Schierwater
ITZ, Ecology and Evolution, Tierarztliche Hochschule Hannover, Germany
Bioessays 27:1294-302. 2005..Trichoplax offers unique potential for understanding the minimal requirements of metazoan animal organization...
- Is the evolution of Cnox-2 Hox/ParaHox genes "multicolored" and "polygenealogical?"Bernd Schierwater
ITZ, Ecology and Evolution, TiHo Hannover, Bünteweg 17d, D 30559 Hannover, Germany
Mol Phylogenet Evol 24:374-8. 2002..The existing data on possible gene functions also reveal a quite heterogeneous picture. It seems conceivable that part of the "multicolored" picture relates to a "polygenealogical" origin of the Cnox-2 gene...
- The phylogeography of the Placozoa suggests a taxon-rich phylum in tropical and subtropical watersM Eitel
Tierarztliche Hochschule Hannover, ITZ, Ecology and Evolution, Hannover, Germany
Mol Ecol 19:2315-27. 2010..Haplotypes of different clades differ substantially in their phylogeographic distribution according to latitude. The genetic data also suggest deep phylogenetic branching patterns between clades...
- Character-based DNA barcoding allows discrimination of genera, species and populations in OdonataJ Rach
ITZ, Ecology and Evolution, TiHo Hannover, Bünteweg 17d, 30559 Hannover, Germany
Proc Biol Sci 275:237-47. 2008....
- The Trichoplax genome and the nature of placozoansMansi Srivastava
Center for Integrative Genomics and Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Nature 454:955-60. 2008....
- Mitochondrial genome of Trichoplax adhaerens supports placozoa as the basal lower metazoan phylumStephen L Dellaporta
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520 8104, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:8751-6. 2006..Phylogenetic analyses of mitochondrial proteins provide strong support for the placement of the phylum Placozoa at the root of the Metazoa...
- Expression of a Gsx parahox gene, Cnox-2, in colony ontogeny in Hydractinia (Cnidaria: Hydrozoa)Paulyn Cartwright
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas 66045, USA
J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol 306:460-9. 2006..Differential Cnox-2 expression is, thus, associated with key aspects of patterning of both the colony and the polyp, a finding that is particularly striking given that polyp and colony form are dissociable in the evolution of Hydrozoa...
- The Trox-2 Hox/ParaHox gene of Trichoplax (Placozoa) marks an epithelial boundaryWolfgang Jakob
ITZ, Ecology and Evolution, TiHo Hannover, , 30559, Hannover, Germany
Dev Genes Evol 214:170-5. 2004..We speculate that Trox-2 functions within a hitherto unrecognized population of possibly multipotential peripheral stem cells that contribute to differentiated cells at the epithelial boundary of Trichoplax...
- Medusozoan phylogeny and character evolution clarified by new large and small subunit rDNA data and an assessment of the utility of phylogenetic mixture modelsAllen G Collins
NMFS, National Systematics Laboratory, National Museum of Natural History, MRC 153, Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC 20013 7012, USA
Syst Biol 55:97-115. 2006..18S; 28S; Cubozoa; Hydrozoa; medusa; molecular systematics; polyp; Scyphozoa; Staurozoa.]...
- Placozoa are not derived cnidarians: evidence from molecular morphologyAndrea Ender
ITZ, Ecology and Evolution, , Hannover, Germany
Mol Biol Evol 20:130-4. 2003....
- The Trichoplax PaxB gene: a putative Proto-PaxA/B/C gene predating the origin of nerve and sensory cellsThorsten Hadrys
ITZ, Ecology and Evolution, Hannover, Germany
Mol Biol Evol 22:1569-78. 2005..While PaxB, Pax2/5/8, and Pax6 genes have been linked to nerve cell and sensory system/organ development in virtually all animals investigated so far, our study suggests that Pax genes predate the origin of nerve and sensory cells...
- Ancient linkage of a POU class 6 and an anterior Hox-like gene in cnidaria: implications for the evolution of homeobox genesKai Kamm
ITZ, Ecology and Evolution, TiHo Hannover, Hannover, Germany
J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol 308:777-84. 2007..Hence, the much tighter linkage of a POU class 6 gene to an anterior Hox-like gene in a cnidarian is possibly the evolutionary echo of an ancestral genomic region from which most metazoan homeobox classes emerged...
- Solution to the phylogenetic enigma of Tetraplatia, a worm-shaped cnidarianAllen G Collins
NMFS, National Systematics Laboratory, National Museum of Natural History, MRC 153, Smithsonian Institution, PO Box 37012, Washington, DC 20013 7012, USA
Biol Lett 2:120-4. 2006..The distinctive body plan of Tetraplatia is remarkable because it appears to have a recent origin, in contrast to the prevailing pattern of metazoan history...
- Ancient complexity of the non-Hox ANTP gene complement in the anthozoan Nematostella vectensis: implications for the evolution of the ANTP superclassKai Kamm
ITZ, Ecology and Evolution, TiHo Hannover, Hannover, Germany
J Exp Zoolog B Mol Dev Evol 306:589-96. 2006..We conclude that the last cnidarian/bilaterian ancestor already harboured the almost full complement of non-Hox ANTP genes before the Hox system evolved...
- An automated phylogenetic key for classifying homeoboxesI Neil Sarkar
Department of Medical Informatics, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY, USA
Mol Phylogenet Evol 24:388-99. 2002..Using a subset of homeobox protein sequences as a test case, we show that our method approximates classification based on full-scale phylogenetic analysis with very high accuracy in a tiny fraction of the time...
- Molecular biomarkers and adaptation to environmental stress in moon jelly (Aurelia spp.)Werner Schroth
Ecology and Evolution, ITZ, TiHo Hannover, Bünteweg 17d, D 30559, Hannover, Germany
Mar Biotechnol (NY) 7:449-61. 2005..We show that added information on genetic variability can raise the predictive power of molecular biomarkers in studies of individual stress response...
- Placozoa -- no longer a phylum of oneOliver Voigt
Curr Biol 14:R944-5. 2004
- Axial patterning and diversification in the cnidaria predate the Hox systemKai Kamm
ITZ, Ecology and Evolution, , D-30559 Hannover, Germany
Curr Biol 16:920-6. 2006....