Affiliation: Saarland University
- Viral kinetics in patients with chronic hepatitis C treated with the serine protease inhibitor BILN 2061Eva Herrmann
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Innere Medizin II, Universitatsklinikum des Saarlandes, Homburg Saar, Germany
Antivir Ther 11:371-6. 2006..Estimates of viral clearance and infected-cell loss support conclusions on these rates and on treatment mechanisms from previous studies on interferon-alpha-based treatments...
- Pharmacokinetics of peginterferonsStefan Zeuzem
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Endocrinology, Saarland University Hospital, Homburg Saar, Germany
Semin Liver Dis 23:23-8. 2003..However, it remains unknown whether these differences in the initial viral decline predict differences in the primary clinical endpoint, sustained virological response...
- The kinetics of hepatitis C virusEva Herrmann
Saarland University, Faculty of Medicine, Internal Medicine II, Homburg Saar, Germany
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 18:339-42. 2006..The main aims of analysing hepatitis C viral kinetics include the efficient comparison of different treatment regimens, prediction of virological response, and conclusions on antiviral mechanisms of therapy...
- Clinical significance of in vitro replication-enhancing mutations of the hepatitis C virus (HCV) replicon in patients with chronic HCV infectionChristoph Sarrazin
Klinik fur Innere Medizin II, Universitat des Saarlandes, Homburg Saar, Germany
J Infect Dis 192:1710-9. 2005..Mutations in nonstructural (NS) hepatitis C virus (HCV) proteins enhance replication in HCV-1a/b replicons. The prevalence of such mutations and their clinical significance in vivo are unknown...
- Ultrasound evaluation of perihepatic lymph nodes during antiviral therapy with the protease inhibitor telaprevir (VX-950) in patients with chronic hepatitis C infectionMireen Friedrich Rust
Department of Internal Medicine, Saarland University Hospital, Homburg Saar, Germany
Ultrasound Med Biol 33:1362-7. 2007....
- Dynamics of CD81 expression on lymphocyte subsets during interferon-alpha-based antiviral treatment of patients with chronic hepatitis CBernd Kronenberger
Klinik fur Innere Medizin II, Universitatsklinikum des Saarlandes, Kirrberger Strasse, D 66421 Homburg Saar, Germany
J Leukoc Biol 80:298-308. 2006..033). Lymphocyte subsets show different patterns of CD81 response before and during antiviral treatment, which are associated with administration of IFN-alpha and antiviral response...
- Validity of N-terminal propeptide of the brain natriuretic peptide in predicting left ventricular diastolic dysfunction diagnosed by tissue Doppler imaging in patients with chronic liver diseaseTanja M Raedle-Hurst
Second Department of Medicine, Saarland University Hospital, Homburg Saar, Germany
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 20:865-73. 2008..The aim of the study was to validate the N-terminal propeptide of the brain natriuretic peptide (NT-proBNP) in predicting left ventricular diastolic dysfunction diagnosed by tissue Doppler imaging in patients with chronic liver disease...
- Growth differentiation factor 15--an early marker of abnormal function of the Fontan circuit in patients with univentricular heartsTanja M Raedle-Hurst
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Saarland University Hospital, Homburg Saar, Germany
Am Heart J 160:1105-12. 2010..The aim of the study was to evaluate growth differentiation factor 15 (GDF-15), a marker of various stress pathways in the heart and extracardiac tissues...
- Real-time elastography for noninvasive assessment of liver fibrosis in chronic viral hepatitisMireen Friedrich-Rust
Department of Internal Medicine II, Saarland University Hospital, Kirrbergerstrasse, Bldg 41, Homburg Saar 66421, Germany
AJR Am J Roentgenol 188:758-64. 2007..Here, we investigated a novel approach for noninvasive assessment of liver fibrosis using sonography-based real-time elastography, which can be performed with conventional ultrasound probes during a routine sonography examination...
- Assessment of left ventricular dyssynchrony and function using real-time 3-dimensional echocardiography in patients with congenital right heart diseaseTanja M Raedle-Hurst
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Saarland University Hospital, Homburg Saar, Germany
Am Heart J 157:791-8. 2009..The aim of the study was to assess LVD according to a novel global systolic dyssynchrony index (SDI) derived from real-time 3-dimensional echocardiography in patients after repaired CRHD...
- Structural and functional comparison of the non-structural protein 4B in flaviviridaeChristoph Welsch
Internal Medicine II, Saarland University Hospital, Kirrberger Strasse, 66421 Homburg Saar, Germany
J Mol Graph Model 26:546-57. 2007..Important structural and functional properties of NS4B are predicted with implications for ER-stress response, altered gene expression and replication efficacy...
- Effect of ribavirin on hepatitis C viral kinetics in patients treated with pegylated interferonEva Herrmann
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Innere Medizin II, , Homburg/Saar, Germany
Hepatology 37:1351-8. 2003..This finding suggests that combination treatment leads to a better restoration of the patient's immune response...
- Hepatitis C virus nonstructural 5A protein and interferon resistance: a new model for testing the reliability of mutational analysesChristoph Sarrazin
Medizinische Klinik II, Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, 60590 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
J Virol 76:11079-90. 2002..For improvement of mutational analysis, a refined specific functional data test procedure is proposed...
- Prediction of treatment outcome in patients with chronic hepatitis C: significance of baseline parameters and viral dynamics during therapyThomas Berg
Medizinische Klinik mit Schwerpunkt Hepatologie und Gastroenterologie, , Campus Virchow-Klinikum, , Berlin, Germany
Hepatology 37:600-9. 2003..This algorithm recognizes 53.7% of nonresponders previously identified at week 24 of treatment...
- Hepatitis C viral kinetics in plasma and peripheral blood mononuclear cells during pegylated interferon-alpha2a/ribavirin therapyPaolo Pugnale
Department of Pathology and Immunology, University of Geneva Medical Center, 1211 Geneva, Switzerland
J Hepatol 48:932-8. 2008..Analysis of hepatitis C virus (HCV) RNA kinetics in compartments other than plasma may help in understanding HCV replication and identifying clinically significant patterns of treatment response...
- Dynamics of apoptotic activity during antiviral treatment of patients with chronic hepatitis CBernd Kronenberger
Medizinische Klinik I, Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe UniversitRt, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Antivir Ther 12:779-87. 2007..Cell death during antiviral therapy of patients with chronic hepatitis C is not well understood...
- Impact of NS5A sequences of Hepatitis C virus genotype 1a on early viral kinetics during treatment with peginterferon- alpha 2a plus ribavirinFrancesca Dal Pero
Venetian Institute for Molecular Medicine, Padova, 35129, Italy
J Infect Dis 196:998-1005. 2007..Little is known about NS5A sequences of HCV-1a. We investigated whether genetic variability of HCV-1a NS5A correlates with the early HCV kinetics during treatment...
- Reply to Real-time elastography in the assessment of liver fibrosisMireen Friedrich-Rust
AJR Am J Roentgenol 190:W164. 2008
- Amino acid variations in hepatitis C virus p7 and sensitivity to antiviral combination therapy with amantadine in chronic hepatitis CUlrike Mihm
, , Kirrberger Str, 66421 Homburg/Saar, Germany
Antivir Ther 11:507-19. 2006..Non-responders with HCV-1b infection showed higher numbers of non-conservative aa variations within HCV p7 than responders, irrespective of the application of amantadine...
- Mutagenic effect of ribavirin on hepatitis C nonstructural 5B quasispecies in vitro and during antiviral therapyWolf Peter Hofmann
Department of Internal Medicine II, Saarland University Hospital, Homburg, Germany
Gastroenterology 132:921-30. 2007..Ribavirin acts as an RNA virus mutagen in vitro, thereby leading to error catastrophe. However, data in CHC are controversial...
- Triple therapy with amantadine in treatment-naive patients with chronic hepatitis C: a placebo-controlled trialThomas Berg
Medizinische Klinik mit Schwerpunkt Hepatologie und Gastroenterologie, Universitatsklinikum Charite, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Humboldt Universitat, Berlin, Germany
Hepatology 37:1359-67. 2003....
- Viral kinetics during antiviral therapy in patients with chronic hepatitis C and persistently normal ALT levelsBernd Kronenberger
, , Homburg/Saar, Germany
Hepatology 40:1442-9. 2004..These data show that virological response in patients with chronic hepatitis C is less associated with baseline ALT than with GGT levels...
- Comparison of transcription mediated amplification (TMA) and reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) for detection of hepatitis C virus RNA in liver tissueWolf Peter Hofmann
, , 66421 Homburg, Germany
J Clin Virol 32:289-93. 2005..019). CONCLUSION: Our results suggest that both the extraction and amplification step of the TMA-based assay contribute to the higher sensitivity compared with standard RT-PCR...
- Peginterferon-alpha-2a (40KD) and ribavirin for 16 or 24 weeks in patients with genotype 2 or 3 chronic hepatitis CMichael von Wagner
, Homburg/Saar, Germany
Gastroenterology 129:522-7. 2005..In patients infected by HCV-3 (high viral load), longer treatment may be necessary...
- Relationship between early HCV kinetics and T-cell reactivity in chronic hepatitis C genotype 1 during peginterferon and ribavirin therapyKwok H Tang
Institute of Hepatology, University College London, 69-75 Chenies Mews, London. WC1E 6HX, UK
J Hepatol 43:776-82. 2005..Enhancement of antiviral T-cell reactivity requires rapid viraemia clearance, rather than immunostimulation alone...
- New kinetic models for the hepatitis C virusAlan S Perelson
Theoretical Biology and Biophysics, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM 87525, USA
Hepatology 42:749-54. 2005....
- Dynamics of hepatitis C virus infectionStefan Zeuzem
Department of Medicine, University Hospital Homburg/Saar, Germany
Ann Hepatol 1:56-63. 2002..This second phase decay is predictive for the virologic end-of-treatment and even more the sustained response. Non-responding patients typically show constant viremia or even a rebound during this second phase...
- Treatment with daily consensus interferon (CIFN) plus ribavirin in non-responder patients with chronic hepatitis C: a randomized open-label pilot studyMarkus Cornberg
Abt. Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Endokrinologie, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Hannover, Germany
J Hepatol 44:291-301. 2006..However, motivation and compliance are requisites and a CIFN induction is not required...
- Association of serum interleukin-8 with virologic response to antiviral therapy in patients with chronic hepatitis CUlrike Mihm
, , Kirrberger Strasse, D-66421 Homburg/Saar, Germany
J Hepatol 40:845-52. 2004..Thus, the conclusion from in vitro studies that the upregulation of interleukin-8 by the hepatitis C virus contributes to the inhibition of the antiviral actions of interferon-alpha may also be applicable in vivo...
- Placebo-controlled trial of 400 mg amantadine combined with peginterferon alfa-2a and ribavirin for 48 weeks in chronic hepatitis C virus-1 infectionMichael von Wagner
Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Frankfurt, Main, Germany
Hepatology 48:1404-11. 2008..CONCLUSION: In this large placebo-controlled multicenter study, amantadine even at a dose of 400 mg/day did not improve virological response rates of peginterferon alfa-2a and ribavirin in patients with chronic genotype HCV-1 infection...
- Performance of transient elastography for the staging of liver fibrosis: a meta-analysisMireen Friedrich-Rust
Department of Internal Medicine I, J W Goethe University Hospital, Frankfurt, Germany
Gastroenterology 134:960-74. 2008..A meta-analysis was performed to assess the overall performance of transient elastography for the diagnosis of liver fibrosis and to analyze factors influencing the diagnostic accuracy...
- Noninvasive assessment of liver fibrosis in patients with Fontan circulation using transient elastography and biochemical fibrosis markersMireen Friedrich-Rust
Department of Internal Medicine, JW Goethe University Clinic, Frankfurt, Germany
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 135:560-7. 2008..Therefore, early detection of fibrosis is essential to identify patients at risk. Transient elastography has been evaluated for noninvasive staging of liver fibrosis in a multitude of studies...
- Modelling of early viral kinetics and pegylated interferon-alpha2b pharmacokinetics in patients with HBeag-positive chronic hepatitis BMartijn J ter Borg
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Erasmus MC, University Medical Centre Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Antivir Ther 12:1285-94. 2007..HBeAg loss is achieved in 36% of patients after one year of PEG-IFN-alpha2b treatment and combination therapy with lamivudine is not superior to PEG-IFN-alpha2b monotherapy...
- Efficacy of amantadine on quality of life in patients with chronic hepatitis C treated with interferon-alpha and ribavirin: results from a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trialBernd Kronenberger
Department of Medicine I, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Medical Center, Frankfurt M, Germany
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 19:639-46. 2007..The aim of this study was to investigate whether amantadine reduces deterioration of quality of life in patients with chronic hepatitis C during and after treatment with interferon-alpha (IFN-alpha) and ribavirin...
- Association of HCV-related mixed cryoglobulinemia with specific mutational pattern of the HCV E2 protein and CD81 expression on peripheral B lymphocytesWolf Peter Hofmann
Blood 104:1228-9. 2004
- The level of CD81 cell surface expression is a key determinant for productive entry of hepatitis C virus into host cellsGeorge Koutsoudakis
Department Molecular Virology, University Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 345, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Virol 81:588-98. 2007..Together these data indicate that a high density of cell surface-exposed CD81 is a key determinant for productive HCV entry into host cells...
- Viral kinetics in patients with lamivudine-resistant hepatitis B during adefovir-lamivudine combination therapyUlrike Mihm
, , Kirrberger Str, 66421 Homburg/Saar, Germany
J Hepatol 43:217-24. 2005....
- First-phase parameters in hepatitis C viral kineticsStefan Zeuzem
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Endocrinology, University Hospital Homburg/Saar, Germany
J Viral Hepat 9:332-3. 2002