Affiliation: Robert Koch-Institut
- Plotzki E, Wolf van Buerck L, Knauf Y, Becker T, Maetz Rensing K, Schuster M, et al. Virus safety of islet cell transplantation from transgenic pigs to marmosets. Virus Res. 2015;204:95-102 pubmed publisher..Porcine lymphotropic herpes viruses (PLHV) were not found in the donor pigs, hepatitis E virus (HEV) was not found in the recipients. ..
- Fiebig U, Keller M, MÃ¶ller A, Timms P, Denner J. Lack of antiviral antibody response in koalas infected with koala retroviruses (KoRV). Virus Res. 2015;198:30-4 pubmed publisher..However, it remains unclear whether these animals can be immunised against KoRV-B and immunisation of uninfected koalas could still be worthwhile. ..
- Denner J, Schuurman H, Patience C. The International Xenotransplantation Association consensus statement on conditions for undertaking clinical trials of porcine islet products in type 1 diabetes--chapter 5: Strategies to prevent transmission of porcine endogenous retroviruses. Xenotransplantation. 2009;16:239-48 pubmed publisher..Finally, virus safety of xenotransplantation is a fast-developing field, and new experimental findings will change existing strategies and introduce new ones. ..
- Fiebig U, Dieckhoff B, Wurzbacher C, MÃ¶ller A, Kurth R, Denner J. Induction of neutralizing antibodies specific for the envelope proteins of the koala retrovirus by immunization with recombinant proteins or with DNA. Virol J. 2015;12:68 pubmed publisher..The envelope proteins of the KoRV may therefore form the basis of an effective preventive vaccine to protect uninfected koalas from infection and possibly an immunotherapeutic treatment for those already infected. ..
- Denner J, Mihica D, Kaulitz D, Schmidt C. Increased titers of neutralizing antibodies after immunization with both envelope proteins of the porcine endogenous retroviruses (PERVs). Virol J. 2012;9:260 pubmed publisher..These immunization studies are important for the development of vaccines against other retroviruses including the human immunodeficiency virus HIV-1. ..
- Denner J. Treatment of Ebola virus infections with inhibitors of TLR4. Med Hypotheses. 2015;85:253-7 pubmed publisher..As evidence suggests that GP1,2 and LPS use the same receptor, it is tempting to evaluate whether compounds that can inhibit signal transduction by LPS, e.g., TAK-242, can also reduce EBOV-induced pathogenesis. ..
- Denner J, Petersen B, Niemann H. Tolerance and immune response to the porcine endogenous retrovirus in German landrace pigs immunised with viral proteins. Virus Res. 2015;208:39-43 pubmed publisher..However, the pigs did produce antibodies against p27CA, indicating that there is no tolerance to the core capsid protein of PERV. ..
- Denner J. Towards an AIDS vaccine: the transmembrane envelope protein as target for broadly neutralizing antibodies. Hum Vaccin. 2011;7 Suppl:4-9 pubmed..These data may help to design antigens able to induce specific broadly neutralizing antibodies. ..
- MÃ¼hle M, LÃ¶chelt M, Denner J. Optimisation of expression and purification of the feline and primate foamy virus transmembrane envelope proteins using a 96 deep well screen. Protein Expr Purif. 2012;81:96-105 pubmed publisher..The screening and production method presented here can also be applied for the production of transmembrane envelope proteins of other retroviruses, including HIV-1. ..
- Morozov V, Morozov A, Denner J. New PCR diagnostic systems for the detection and quantification of porcine cytomegalovirus (PCMV). Arch Virol. 2016;161:1159-68 pubmed publisher..These new diagnostic PCR systems will improve the detection of PCMV and therefore increase the safety of porcine xenotransplants. ..
- Plotzki E, Keller M, Ivanusic D, Denner J. A new Western blot assay for the detection of porcine cytomegalovirus (PCMV). J Immunol Methods. 2016;437:37-42 pubmed publisher..With this assay, the presence of PCMV-specific antibodies in different pig breeds was analysed. Antibodies were detected in a high percentage of animals, in one breed up to 85%. ..
- Fiebig U, Keller M, Denner J. Detection of koala retrovirus subgroup B (KoRV-B) in animals housed at European zoos. Arch Virol. 2016;161:3549-3553 pubmed..We describe here a KoRV-B found in koalas at zoos in Germany and Belgium that differs slightly from that found in the Los Angeles zoo. ..
- Denner J, Mankertz A. Porcine Circoviruses and Xenotransplantation. Viruses. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..Although there is evidence that PCV2 does not infect-at least immunocompetent-humans, animals should be screened using sensitive methods to ensure virus elimination by selection, Cesarean delivery, vaccination, or embryo transfer. ..
- Denner J. Transspecies Transmission of Gammaretroviruses and the Origin of the Gibbon Ape Leukaemia Virus (GaLV) and the Koala Retrovirus (KoRV). Viruses. 2016;8: pubmed publisher..g., that of porcine endogenous retroviruses (PERVs) during xenotransplantation using pig cells, tissues or organs. ..
- Denner J. Recombinant porcine endogenous retroviruses (PERV-A/C): a new risk for xenotransplantation?. Arch Virol. 2008;153:1421-6 pubmed publisher..This review compares recombinant PERVs with other recombinant retroviruses in order to evaluate their potential pathogenicity. ..
- ..Most importantly, viruses with known or suspected zoonotic potential were often not detected by next generation sequencing, but were revealed by more sensitive methods. ..
- Morozov V, Heinrichs G, Denner J. Effective Detection of Porcine Cytomegalovirus Using Non-Invasively Taken Samples from Piglets. Viruses. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..Therefore, to increase the efficacy of PCMV detection in piglets, early testing of oral and anal swabs by uniplex real-time PCR is recommended. ..
- MÃ¼hle M, Kroniger T, Hoffmann K, Denner J. The immunosuppressive domain of the transmembrane envelope protein gp41 of HIV-1 binds to human monocytes and B cells. Immunol Res. 2016;64:721-9 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that a putative receptor might be involved in the immunomodulatory effects observed previously. ..
- Fiebig U, Holzer A, Ivanusic D, Plotzki E, Hengel H, Neipel F, et al. Antibody Cross-Reactivity between Porcine Cytomegalovirus (PCMV) and Human Herpesvirus-6 (HHV-6). Viruses. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..HCMV is not related with PCMV, and no correlation between antibody reactivity against PCMV and HCMV was detected. These data indicate that antibodies against PCMV found in humans are cross-reactive antibodies against HHV-6. ..
- Morozov V, Wynyard S, Matsumoto S, Abalovich A, Denner J, Elliott R. No PERV transmission during a clinical trial of pig islet cell transplantation. Virus Res. 2017;227:34-40 pubmed publisher..In addition, using primers detecting pig mitochondrial cytochrome oxidase (COX) gene, patients were screened for microchimerism. In summary, the data are further evidence for the safety of pig islet cell transplantation. ..
- Denner J, Specke V, Thiesen U, Karlas A, Kurth R. Genetic alterations of the long terminal repeat of an ecotropic porcine endogenous retrovirus during passage in human cells. Virology. 2003;314:125-33 pubmed..These data indicate that recombinant PERVs generated during infection of human cells can adapt and subsequently replicate with greater efficiency...