Affiliation: Research Institute for the Biology of Farm Animals
- Rehfeldt C, te Pas M, Wimmers K, Brameld J, Nissen P, Berri C, et al. Advances in research on the prenatal development of skeletal muscle in animals in relation to the quality of muscle-based food. II--Genetic factors related to animal performance and advances in methodology. Animal. 2011;5:718-30 pubmed publisher..Finally, future research priorities in the field are defined. ..
- Rehfeldt C, te Pas M, Wimmers K, Brameld J, Nissen P, Berri C, et al. Advances in research on the prenatal development of skeletal muscle in animals in relation to the quality of muscle-based food. I. Regulation of myogenesis and environmental impact. Animal. 2011;5:703-17 pubmed publisher..Finally, environmental temperature has been identified as a critical factor for growth and development of skeletal muscle in both fish and poultry. ..
- Rehfeldt C, Kuhn G, Nurnberg G, Kanitz E, Schneider F, Beyer M, et al. Effects of exogenous somatotropin during early gestation on maternal performance, fetal growth, and compositional traits in pigs. J Anim Sci. 2001;79:1789-99 pubmed..It thereby selectively improves the growth conditions for the smaller littermates...
- Rehfeldt C, Renne U, Wittstock M, Mix E, Zettl U. Long-term growth selection of mice changes the intrinsic susceptibility of myogenic cells to apoptosis. J Muscle Res Cell Motil. 2004;25:177-85 pubmed..Furthermore, the apoptotic response to growth factor withdrawal seems to be largely independent of the stage of myogenic development...
- Rehfeldt C, Ott G, Gerrard D, Varga L, Schlote W, Williams J, et al. Effects of the compact mutant myostatin allele Mstn (Cmpt-dl1Abc) introgressed into a high growth mouse line on skeletal muscle cellularity. J Muscle Res Cell Motil. 2005;26:103-12 pubmed..However, capillary supply is adversely affected and muscle metabolism shifted towards glycolysis, which could have negative consequences for physical fitness. ..
- Rehfeldt C, Renne U, Sawitzky M, Binder G, Hoeflich A. Increased fat mass, decreased myofiber size, and a shift to glycolytic muscle metabolism in adolescent male transgenic mice overexpressing IGFBP-2. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2010;299:E287-98 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that IGFBP-2 significantly inhibits postnatal skeletal myofiber growth by decreasing myogenic proliferation and protein accretion and enhances glycolytic muscle metabolism. ..