Affiliation: Philipps University
- Comparison of the effects of nebivolol and valsartan on BP reduction and sleep apnoea activity in patients with essential hypertension and OSAJ Heitmann
Philipps University Marburg, Marburg, Germany
Curr Med Res Opin 26:1925-32. 2010..To investigate the effect of nebivolol, a third generation beta-blocker, on blood pressure (BP) reduction and polysomnographic parameters in hypertensive patients with mild-to-moderate obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA)...
- Effect of tiotropium vs. salmeterol on exacerbations: GOLD II and maintenance therapy naïve patientsClaus Vogelmeier
Department of Internal Medicine, Division for Pulmonary Diseases, Hospital of the University of Marburg, Philipps Universtät Marburg, Baldingerstrasse 1, 35043 Marburg, Germany
Respir Med 107:75-83. 2013..66; 95% CI, 0.48-0.91; p = 0.012). In conclusion, results from this prespecified subgroup analysis support the selection of tiotropium as first-choice maintenance therapy for patients with GOLD stage II COPD...
- Study design considerations in a large COPD trial comparing effects of tiotropium with salmeterol on exacerbationsKai Michael Beeh
insaf Respiratory Research Institute, Wiesbaden, Germany
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 4:119-25. 2009..Other challenges in designing exacerbation trials such as differential discontinuation and follow-up of discontinued patients are discussed...
- Characterisation of exacerbation risk and exacerbator phenotypes in the POET-COPD trialKai M Beeh
University Medical Center Giessen and Marburg, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Baldingerstrasse, D 35043 Marburg, Germany
Respir Res 14:116. 2013..Data examining the characteristics of patients with frequent exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and associated hospitalisations and mortality are scarce...
- Efficacy and safety of once-daily QVA149 compared with twice-daily salmeterol-fluticasone in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (ILLUMINATE): a randomised, double-blind, parallel group studyClaus F Vogelmeier
Universitätsklinikum Gießen und Marburg, Marburg, Germany Electronic address
Lancet Respir Med 1:51-60. 2013..We aimed to compare the efficacy, safety, and tolerability of QVA149 versus salmeterol-fluticasone (SFC) over 26 weeks in patients with moderate-to-severe COPD...
- Krüppel-like zinc finger proteins in end-stage COPD lungs with and without severe alpha1-antitrypsin deficiencyA Rembert Koczulla
Institute of Pathology, Hannover Medical School, Hanover, Germany
Orphanet J Rare Dis 7:29. 2012..A study was undertaken to investigate gene expression patterns in end-stage COPD lungs from patients with and without AATD...
- Budesonide/formoterol maintenance and reliever therapy in Asian patients (aged ≥16 years) with asthma: a sub-analysis of the COSMOS studyC Vogelmeier
Marburg University Hospital, Germany
Clin Drug Investig 32:439-49. 2012....
- A randomised, placebo-controlled, dose-finding study of AZD9668, an oral inhibitor of neutrophil elastase, in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treated with tiotropiumClaus Vogelmeier
Universitätsklinikum Giessen und Marburg, Marburg, Germany
COPD 9:111-20. 2012..These results raise important questions for future investigation of anti-inflammatory and disease-modifying agents in patients with COPD...
- Regional differences in prediction models of lung function in GermanyEva Schnabel
Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, Center for Environmental Health, Institute of Epidemiology, Neuherberg, Germany
Respir Res 11:40. 2010..The aim of this analysis was to determine whether lung function determinants differ between subpopulations within Germany and whether prediction equations developed for one subpopulation are also adequate for another subpopulation...
- Indacaterol provides 24-hour bronchodilation in COPD: a placebo-controlled blinded comparison with tiotropiumClaus Vogelmeier
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Inc, One Health Plaza, East Hanover, NJ 07936 1080, USA
Respir Res 11:135. 2010..This randomized, double-blind study compared the bronchodilator efficacy of indacaterol with that of placebo and tiotropium in patients with moderate-to-severe COPD...
- Outcome measures in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): strengths and limitationsThomas Glaab
Pulmonary Department, University Hospital, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
Respir Res 11:79. 2010....
- Comparison of exhaled breath condensate pH using two commercially available devices in healthy controls, asthma and COPD patientsRembert Koczulla
Department of Pulmonology, Leiden University Medical Center, The Netherlands
Respir Res 10:78. 2009..Analysis of exhaled breath condensate (EBC) is a non-invasive method for studying the acidity (pH) of airway secretions in patients with inflammatory lung diseases...
- Budesonide/formoterol as effective as prednisolone plus formoterol in acute exacerbations of COPD. A double-blind, randomised, non-inferiority, parallel-group, multicentre studyBjorn Stallberg
Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Family Medicine and Clinical Epidemiology, Uppsala University, Sweden
Respir Res 10:11. 2009....
- Profiling the bronchodilator effects of the novel ultra-long-acting β2-agonist indacaterol against established treatments in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseClaus Vogelmeier
University Hospital Giessen und Marburg, Standort Marburg, Baldingerstrasse, D 35043 Marburg, Germany
Ther Adv Respir Dis 5:345-57. 2011..To conclude, indacaterol is a highly effective bronchodilator that is superior to or at least as effective as other available long-acting bronchodilators for COPD...
- [Pathogenesis of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease]C Vogelmeier
Klinik für Innere Medizin mit Schwerpunkt Pneumologie, Universitätsklinikum Giessen und Marburg Standort Marburg
Internist (Berl) 47:885-6, 888-90, 892-4. 2006..Finally, several studies have indicated that a systemic inflammation is induced by COPD that may be of relevance to the development of systemic components that are observed in COPD patients...
- [Chronic obstructive lung disease]C Vogelmeier
Klinik fur Innere Medizin, Klinikum der Philipps Universität Marburg
Internist (Berl) 44:S16-22, S24-7. 2003..Strategies for primary prevention and smoking cessation programs are extremely important. To get to the diagnosis of COPD as early as possible, all smokers with cough and phlegm should undergo spirometry...
- Safety and tolerability of NVA237, a once-daily long-acting muscarinic antagonist, in COPD patientsC Vogelmeier
Universitätsklinikum Giessen und Marburg, Marburg, Germany
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 23:438-44. 2010..Overall, the present study provides further evidence of the safety, tolerability and bronchodilator efficacy of once-daily treatment with NVA237 100 and 200 microg in patients with moderate-to-severe COPD...
- [Bronchodilators--effective also in negative broncholysis test. Decreased dyspnea decreased in any case]C Vogelmeier
Klinik fur Innere Medizin, Schwerpunkt Pneumologie, Klinikum der Philipps Univ, Marburg
MMW Fortschr Med 144:34-6, 38. 2002..The sole life-prolonging treatment for COPD continues to be the long-term administration of oxygen; the only measure capable of stopping progressive deterioration of lung function is cessation of smoking...
- Formoterol mono- and combination therapy with tiotropium in patients with COPD: a 6-month studyClaus Vogelmeier
Klinik für Innere Medizin mit Schwerpunkt Pneumologie, Universitätsklinikum Giessen und Marburg, Standort Marburg Baldingerstrasse, D 35043 Marburg, Germany
Respir Med 102:1511-20. 2008..Combined bronchodilator therapy may be a valuable treatment option for patients with COPD...
- Budesonide/formoterol maintenance and reliever therapy: an effective asthma treatment option?C Vogelmeier
Klinikum der Philipps Universität Marburg, Baldingerstrasse, 35043 Marburg, Germany
Eur Respir J 26:819-28. 2005..day(-1)). The simplified strategy using budesonide/formoterol for maintenance and reliever therapy is feasible, safe and at least as effective as salmeterol/fluticasone plus salbutamol...
- [Pneumology -- current developments]C Vogelmeier
Klinik für Innere Medizin mit Schwerpunkt, Pneumologie, Universitätskliniken Giessen und Marburg, Standort Marburg, 35043 Marburg
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 131:1431-4. 2006
- Treating the systemic effects of chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseClaus F Vogelmeier
Department of Respiratory Medicine, University of Marburg, Baldingerstrasse, Germany
Proc Am Thorac Soc 8:376-9. 2011..Physical inactivity may be a major cause for systemic inflammation. In turn, exercise training may be an effective form of therapy. Although smoking cessation is very effective, it is not successful in the majority of cases...
- [Guidelines for the diagnosis and therapy of COPD issued by Deutsche Atemwegsliga and Deutsche Gesellschaft für Pneumologie und Beatmungsmedizin]C Vogelmeier
Klinik für Innere Medizin mit Schwerpunkt Pneumologie, Universitätsklinikum Giessen und Marburg, Standort Marburg, Marburg, Germany
Pneumologie 61:e1-40. 2007
- NVA237, a long-acting muscarinic antagonist, as an emerging therapy for chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseClaus Vogelmeier
Department for Respiratory Diseases, University of Marburg, Baldingerstrasse, 35033 Marburg, Germany
Ther Adv Respir Dis 5:163-73. 2011..Phase III studies are ongoing that will assess the long-term safety and efficacy of NVA237...
- Tiotropium versus salmeterol for the prevention of exacerbations of COPDClaus Vogelmeier
Hospital of the Universities of Giessen and Marburg, Marburg, Germany
N Engl J Med 364:1093-1103. 2011..We investigated whether the anticholinergic drug tiotropium is superior to the β(2)-agonist salmeterol in preventing exacerbations of COPD...
- Acute and chronic effects of smoking on inflammation markers in exhaled breath condensate in current smokersA Rembert Koczulla
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Pulmonary Diseases, University Hospital Giessen and Marburg, Marburg, Germany koczulla med uni marburg de
Respiration 79:61-7. 2010..Analysis of the exhaled breath condensate (EBC) can provide noninvasive markers that might be indicative of inflammation...
- Alpha-1 antitrypsin is elevated in exhaled breath condensate and serum in exacerbated COPD patientsA Rembert Koczulla
Department of Internal Medicine, Division for Pulmonary Diseases, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Hospital of the University of Marburg, Baldingerstrasse 1, 35043 Marburg, Germany
Respir Med 106:120-6. 2012..Deficiency of AAT may result in early-onset respiratory symptoms. Measurement of exhaled breath condensate (EBC) is a noninvasive method to investigate biomarkers present in the epithelial lining fluid, such as AAT...
- The antimicrobial peptide LL-37 modulates the inflammatory and host defense response of human neutrophilsSadek M Alalwani
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Pulmonary Diseases, Philipps University Marburg, Marburg, Germany
Eur J Immunol 40:1118-26. 2010..In conclusion, LL-37 modulates the response of neutrophils to bacterial activation. Cathelicidin controls the release of inflammatory mediators while increasing antimicrobial activity of neutrophils...
- Comparison of two devices and two breathing patterns for exhaled breath condensate samplingEva Maria Hüttmann
Division for Pulmonary Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Philipps University Marburg, Marburg, Germany
PLoS ONE 6:e27467. 2011..In addition, we assessed different breathing patterns in healthy controls with protein markers to analyze the source of the EBC...
- Identification of individuals with alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency by a targeted screening programRobert Bals
Department of Internal Medicine, Division for Pulmonary Diseases, Hospital of the University of Marburg, Philipps Universtät Marburg, Baldingerstrasse 1, 35043 Marburg, Germany
Respir Med 101:1708-14. 2007..It was the aim of the study to determine whether the combination of an awareness program with the offer of a cost-free diagnostic test results in the identification of a significant number of individuals with severe AATD...
- Discrimination between COPD patients with and without alpha 1-antitrypsin deficiency using an electronic noseAkira D M Hattesohl
Department for Internal Medicine, Division for Pulmonary Diseases, Philipps University Marburg, Marburg, Germany
Respirology 16:1258-64. 2011..To compare the volatile organic compound patterns of patients with COPD with and without alpha 1-antitrypsin (AAT) deficiency using electronic nose technology...
- TNF-alpha, TNF-beta, IL-6, and IL-10 polymorphisms in patients with lung cancerCarola Seifart
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Respiratory Medicine, Philipps University of Marburg, Germany
Dis Markers 21:157-65. 2005..The functional IL-10-1082 polymorphism correlates with altered IL-10 levels and might influence lung cancer susceptibility by altered inflammatory responses in the airways...
- Microbial DNA induces a host defense reaction of human respiratory epithelial cellsJuliane Platz
Department of Internal Medicine, Division for Pulmonary Diseases, Philipps University Marburg, Marburg, Germany
J Immunol 173:1219-23. 2004..The respiratory epithelium has an important function in triggering innate immune responses and therefore represents an interesting target for anti-inflammatory therapy...
- Emerging drugs in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseCarola Seifart
University Hospital Giessen and Marburg GmbH, Division of Respiratory Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Marburg GmbH, Marburg, Germany
Expert Opin Emerg Drugs 14:181-94. 2009..Novel anti-inflammatory concepts that go beyond corticosteroids are in early phases of development and it remains to be seen how effective they are and what side effects they may carry...
- Benefits of whole body vibration training in patients hospitalised for COPD exacerbations - a randomized clinical trialTimm Greulich
Department of Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University Medical Center Giessen and Marburg, Philipps University, Member of the German Center for Lung Research DZL, Marburg 35043, Germany
BMC Pulm Med 14:60. 2014..We aimed to evaluate whether this modality added to conventional physiotherapy in exacerbated hospitalised COPD patients would be safe and would improve exercise capacity and quality of life...
- Ambient temperature impacts on pH of exhaled breath condensateAndreas R Koczulla
Department of Internal Medicine, Pulmonology, Philipps University Marburg, Germany
Respirology 15:155-9. 2010..Low pH is correlated with inflammatory diseases like asthma and COPD. The aim of this study was to assess the influence of measurement temperature on pH values of EBC...
- The discovery of α1-antitrypsin and its role in health and diseaseSabina M Janciauskiene
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Respir Med 105:1129-39. 2011..In this review co-occurrence of several diseases with AAT deficiency is discussed...
- Allergic airway inflammation inhibits pulmonary antibacterial host defenseChristoph Beisswenger
Department of Internal Medicine, Division for Pulmonary Diseases, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Germany
J Immunol 177:1833-7. 2006..These results show that an allergic airway inflammation suppresses the innate antimicrobial host defense. The adaptive immune system modulates the functions of the pulmonary innate immune system...
- Exposure of differentiated airway epithelial cells to volatile smoke in vitroChristoph Beisswenger
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Pulmonary Diseases, Philipps University of Marburg, Marburg, Germany
Respiration 71:402-9. 2004..The knowledge about the cellular and molecular mechanisms underlying the smoke-induced inflammation in epithelial cells is limited...
- C-Flex technology: effects on breathing parameters and inspiratory flow limitationSebastian Canisius
Faculty of Medicine, Sleep Disorders Center, Philipps University, DE 35043 Marburg, Germany
Respiration 78:168-76. 2009..However, the effects of C-Flex on ventilation during sleep have not been studied yet...
- Dynamics of heart rate and sleep stages in normals and patients with sleep apneaThomas Penzel
Division of Pulmonary Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital of Philipps University, Baldingerstrasse 1, D 35033 Marburg, Germany
Neuropsychopharmacology 28:S48-53. 2003..Heart-rate regulation is part of the autonomous nervous system and sympathetic tone is strongly influenced by the sleep stages...
- [Differential diagnoses of dyspnoea]A R Koczulla
Abteilung für Pulmonologie, Universitätsklinikum Giessen und Marburg, Standort Marburg, Baldingerstrasse 1, Marburg, Germany
Internist (Berl) 48:1389-99; quiz 1400. 2007..The aim of this article is to give an overview of basic pathophysiological mechanisms, diagnostic procedures and considerations with regard to possible differential diagnoses...
- [Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: from pathogenesis to treatment]A R Koczulla
Abteilung für Pulmonologie, Universitätsklinikum Giessen und Marburg, Standort Marburg, Baldingerstrasse 1, 35042 Marburg
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 133:471-5. 2008..New therapy concepts based on these findings will hopefully result in improvements of morbidity, disease control and quality of life...
- [The German registry of individuals with alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency--a source for research on patient care]R Koczulla
Klinik für Innere Medizin mit Schwerpunkt Pneumologie, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Universitätsklinikum Giessen und Marburg, Marburg
Pneumologie 62:655-8. 2008..The low prevalence of AATD suggested the establishment of a registry with the aim to learn more details about the natural history and the quality of care for these patients...
- [Parapneumonic effusion and pleural empyema--diagnosis and conservative therapy]U Wagner
Klinik fur Innere Medizin, Schwerpunkt Pneumologie, Philipps Universitat Marburg
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 130:525-9. 2005
- [Acute dyspnoea]U Wagner
Klinik fur Innere Medizin, Schwerpunkt Pneumologie, Philipps Universitat Marburg
Internist (Berl) 46:965-73. 2005..Therefore, it is of utmost importance to identify the cause of dyspnoea immediately. Once found, the disorder is treated according to the guidelines for the underlying disease...
- Peripheral arterial tonometry for the diagnosis of obstructive sleep apneaT Penzel
Klinik für Innere Medizin Pneumologie, Klinikum, Philipps Universitat, Marburg, Deutschland
Biomed Tech (Berl) 47:315-7. 2002..01) were significant. The PAT signal cannot substitute blood pressure but allows a good recognition of apneas and subcortical arousal and gives additional information on changes of sympathetic and parasympathetic tone during sleep...
- TNF-alpha-, TNF-beta-, IL-6-, and IL-10-promoter polymorphisms in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseC Seifart
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Respiratory Medicine, Philipps University of Marburg, Marburg, Germany
Tissue Antigens 65:93-100. 2005..Therefore, it might be associated with altered or abnormal inflammatory response, a mechanism that could be postulated to be important in both chronic bronchitis and coronary heart disease...
- [Obstructive sleep apnea, autonomic dysfunction and cardiovascular risk]U Koehler
Klinik fur Innere Medizin, Schwerpunkt Pneumologie, Intensiv und Schlafmedizin, Philipps Universitat Marburg
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 128:1124-8. 2003
- [Acoustic follow-up of nocturnal bronchial obstruction therapy]U Koehler
Klinik fur Innere Medizin, SP Pneumologie, Intensiv und Schlafmedizin, Philipps Universitat Marburg
Pneumologie 57:198-201. 2003..Acoustic long term monitoring confirms the reduction of nocturnal bronchial obstructions under therapy with beta 2-agonists. A better sleep quality may be expected from the improvement of the respiratory situation during sleep...
- [Alpha-1-antitrypsin-laboratory and German alpha-1-antitrypsin-registry]R Bals
Klinikum der Philipps Universität Marburg
Pneumologie 58:637-8. 2004
- [Effect of subcutaneous fatty tissue on normal respiratory sounds]V Gross
Klinik fur Innere Medizin, SP Pneumologie, Philipps Universitat Marburg
Biomed Tech (Berl) 48:182-5. 2003..The results of this study show that the influence of subcutaneous fat layer is negligible and can be ignored in the automatic detection of lung sounds...
- [Nocturnal long-term recording of breath sounds in patients with bronchial asthma -- a reasonable diagnostic option?]U Koehler
Klinik fur Innere Medizin, SP Pneumologie, Intensiv und Schlafmedizin, Philipps Universitat, Marburg
Pneumologie 59:872-8. 2005..A mobile recording system provides a non-invasive monitoring at home which is independent of vigilance. Furthermore it can be used for follow-up examinations of medical interventions...
- [Acute exacerbation of COPD]R Bals
Klinik für Innere Medizin mit Schwerpunkt Pneumologie, Universitätsklinikum Giessen und Marburg, Standort Marburg, Marburg
Pneumologie 60:11-23; quiz 24-5. 2006
- [Why is obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) a cardiovascular risk factor?]U Koehler
Klinik für Innere Medizin SP Pneumologie, Intensiv und Schlafmedizin, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Baldingerstrasse 1, 35033 Marburg, Germany
Z Kardiol 92:977-84. 2003..The extent and need for therapy should be assessed by three criteria: 1) daytime symptoms, 2) the extent of breathing disorder and 3) cardiovascular comorbidity...
- Sympathetic activity is reduced by nCPAP in hypertensive obstructive sleep apnoea patientsJ Heitmann
Sleep Laboratory, Division of Pulmonary Diseases, Dept of Internal Medicine, Marburg University, Germany
Eur Respir J 23:255-62. 2004..This may explain, at least in part, some of the discrepant results in previous treatment studies...
- Detection of bronchial breathing caused by pneumoniaV Gross
Dept of Respir and Crit Care Med, Philipps University of Marburg
Biomed Tech (Berl) 47:146-50. 2002..0 +/- 0.1, p = 0.005 Wilcoxon-test). The computer based detection of bronchial breathing can be considered useful as part of a quantitative monitoring of patients at risk to develop pneumonia...
- A randomized clinical trial to assess the influence of a three months training program (Gym-based individualized vs. Calisthenics-based non-invidualized) in COPD-patientsTimm Greulich
Department of Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University Medical Center Giessen and Marburg, Philipps University Marburg, Member of the German Center for Lung Research DZL, Marburg, Germany
Respir Res 15:36. 2014..Current guidelines recommend exercise training in patients with mild to very severe disease. However, there is insufficient data comparing the efficacy of different training approaches and intensities...
- Cell-specific modulation of surfactant proteins by ambroxol treatmentCarola Seifart
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Respiratory Medicine, Philipps University of Marburg, Baldingerstrasse, 35043 Marburg, Germany
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 203:27-35. 2005..The results indicate that ambroxol may exert its positive effects, observed in the treatment of diseases related to surfactant deficiency, via modulation of surfactant protein expression...
- Inhibition of NF-kappaB mediated inflammation by siRNA expressed by recombinant adeno-associated virusOlaf Pinkenburg
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Pulmonary Diseases, Hospital of the University of Marburg, Philipps Universtät Marburg, Baldingerstrasse 1, D 35043 Marburg, Germany
J Virol Methods 120:119-22. 2004..In conclusion, rAAV vectors coding for siRNA are an useful tool for efficient gene silencing in mammalian cells and can be used to modify NF-kappaB mediated inflammation...
- Nonrandom variability of respiration during sleep in healthy humansSven Rostig
SP Pneumologie, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Schlafmedizinisches Labor, Marburg, Germany
Sleep 28:411-7. 2005....
- The anti-microbial peptide LL-37 inhibits the activation of dendritic cells by TLR ligandsKerstin Kandler
Department of Internal Medicine, Division for Pulmonary Diseases, Baldingerstrasse 1, 35043 Marburg, Germany
Int Immunol 18:1729-36. 2006..In conclusion, we demonstrate that the anti-microbial peptide LL-37 inhibits the activation of DCs by TLR ligands. We propose that LL-37 is a regulator of host defense responses at the intersection of innate and adaptive immune systems...
- [Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) as a systemic disease]T Greulich
Klinik für Innere Medizin mit Schwerpunkt Pneumologie, Universitätsklinikum Giessen und Marburg, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Baldingerstrasse, Marburg
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 134:1231-5. 2009..In addition, the part of the disease that is treatable with physiotherapy and rehabilitation must be fully taken into account. Such multimodal treatment regimens have so far not been implemented into clinical guidelines...
- Alpha1-antitrypsin deficiency - diagnostic testing and disease awareness in Germany and ItalyTimm Greulich
Division for Pulmonary Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Philipps University Marburg, 35043 Marburg, Germany
Respir Med 107:1400-8. 2013..Lack of awareness leads to long delays in diagnostic testing. Subsequently, lifestyle and treatment choices with potentially positive effects on prognosis may be postponed...
- [Intermediate care units and noninvasive ventilation]Heinrich F Becker
Klinik fur Innere Medizin, SP Pneumologie, Universitätsklinikum Giessen und Marburg, Standort Marburg, Marburg
Med Klin (Munich) 101:334-9. 2006..The high prevalence of pulmonary diseases and NIV emphasizes the importance of pneumologists as directors of both ICU and IMC...
- Recombinant Sendai virus for efficient gene transfer to human airway epitheliumOlaf Pinkenburg
Hospital of the University of Marburg, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Pulmonology, Philipps UniverstätMarburg, Marburg, Germany
Exp Lung Res 30:83-96. 2004..In conclusion, rSeV infects differentiated human airway epithelial cells with high efficiency. Transgene expression is transient and accompanied by the secretion of an inflammatory cytokine...
- Association of right ventricular dysfunction and Cheyne-Stokes respiration in patients with chronic heart failureMichael Christ
Klinik fur Innere Medizin, Kardiologie, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Marburg, Germany
J Sleep Res 12:161-7. 2003..In conclusion, CSR is associated with depressed systolic RV function and increased RV dimensions in CHF patients. Future studies will show whether optimized treatment of CSR will improve RV function...
- Peripheral arterial tonometry, oximetry and actigraphy for ambulatory recording of sleep apneaThomas Penzel
Division for Pulmonary Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital of Philipps University, Baldingerstr 1, D 35033 Marburg, Germany
Physiol Meas 25:1025-36. 2004..Arousals are not unique to apnea events and therefore the specifity of the Watch-PAT is limited. In conclusion, the Watch-PAT is well suited to perform therapy control studies in patients suffering from sleep apnea and being treated...
- Suppression of pulmonary innate host defence in smokersC Herr
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Pulmonology, Hospital of the University of Marburg, Baldingerstrasse 1, 35043 Marburg, Germany
Thorax 64:144-9. 2009..It is postulated that cigarette smoke suppresses the activation of the innate immune system in response to bacterial infection...
- Rhesus monkey (Macaca mulatta) mucosal antimicrobial peptides are close homologues of human moleculesR Bals
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik I, Hospital of the University of Munich, Campus Grosshadern, Schwerpunkt Pneumologie, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, Marchioninstr 15, 81377 Munich, Germany
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 8:370-5. 2001..The present study demonstrates that beta-defensins and cathelicidins of rhesus monkeys are close homologues to the human molecules and indicate that nonhuman primates represent valid model organisms to study innate immune functions...
- An angiogenic role for the human peptide antibiotic LL-37/hCAP-18Rembert Koczulla
Hospital of the University of Marburg, Department of Internal Medicine, Philipps Universtät Marburg, Marburg, Germany
J Clin Invest 111:1665-72. 2003..Taken together, these findings demonstrate that LL-37/hCAP-18 is a multifunctional antimicrobial peptide with a central role in innate immunity by linking host defense and inflammation with angiogenesis and arteriogenesis...
- [Update: Alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency. Summary of a scientific symposium at the conference of the Swiss Pneumologic Society on April 16th, 2009]C Vogelmeier
Klinik für Innere Medizin mit Schwerpunkt Pneumologie, Universitätsklinikum Giessen und Marburg, Standort Marburg, Deutschland
Pneumologie 63:718-25. 2009..Alpha-1 centres provide particular expertise, and it is recommended that every patient should be seen in one of these specialised outpatient clinics...
- [Therapy of lung diseases with antiproteases]C Vogelmeier
Pneumologische Abteilung Klimikum Grosshadern,
Pneumologie 48:57-62. 1994..abstract truncated at 250 words)..
- [Management of acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)]A Gillissen
Robert Koch Klinik, Klinikum St Georg, Leipzig
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 128:1721-7. 2003
- [Reflux-associated respiratory tract diseases: asthma, chronic cough, sleep apnea. Epidemiology, diagnosis and therapy]D Jaspersen
Medizinische Klinik II, Klinikum Fulda
Internist (Berl) 44:58-62. 2003
- [Difficult to manage asthma: clinical phenotypes and principles of therapy]G Menz
Hochgebirgsklinik Davos Wolfgang, CH
Pneumologie 56:132-7. 2002
- Budesonide/formoterol maintenance and reliever therapy: a new treatment approach for adult patients with asthmaR Buhl
Pulmonary Department, Mainz University Hospital, Mainz, Germany
Curr Med Res Opin 23:1867-78. 2007..This option is well tolerated and offers greater reductions in asthma exacerbations together with similar improvements in daily symptom control, at a lower overall steroid load, compared with fixed-dose ICS/LABA plus SABA...
- [Guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of asthma patients]R Buhl
Schwerpunkt Pneumologie, III Medizinische Klinik, Mainz
Pneumologie 60:139-77. 2006
- [Inhalation therapy with Respimat soft inhaler in patients with COPD and asthma]T Voshaar
Krankenhaus Bethanien, Moers
Pneumologie 59:25-32. 2005..The Respimat SI meets the requirements for an ideal inhaler better than any other previous device and must therefore be regarded as a significant new development...
- [beta(2)-Sympathomimetics: risks for asthma therapy? Lessons from the SMART1 Study. A statement from the German Respiratory Tract League]A Gillissen
Robert Koch Klinik, Thoraxzentrum des Klinikums St Georg, Leipzig
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 132:33-9. 2007
- The effect of adjustable dosing with budesonide/formoterol on health-related quality of life and asthma control compared with fixed dosingR Buhl
Mainz University Hospital, Germany
Curr Med Res Opin 20:1209-20. 2004..Budesonide/formoterol in a single inhaler is an effective therapy for asthma. We investigated whether adjustable maintenance dosing with budesonide/formoterol could maintain health-related quality of life (HRQL) and asthma control...
- Automatic CPAP titration with different self-setting devices in patients with obstructive sleep apnoeaA Stammnitz
Dept of Respiratory Medicine and Sleep Unit, Philipps University Marburg, Marburg an der Lahn, Germany
Eur Respir J 24:273-8. 2004..It is concluded that automatic continuous positive airway pressure devices produce a significant reduction in apnoea/hypopnoea index; however, there is considerable difference in the efficacy of the various devices...
- Exacerbations of COPD: quantifying the patient's perspective using discrete choice modellingJ Haughney
Dept of General Practice and Primary Care, University of Aberdeen, Westburn Road, Aberdeen, AB25 2AY, UK, and Marburg University Hospital, Germany
Eur Respir J 26:623-9. 2005..Strategies for the clinical management of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease should clearly address patients' concerns and focus on preventing and treating exacerbations to avoid these feared outcomes...
- [Guideline of the German respiratory society for diagnosis and treatment of patients suffering from acute or chronic cough]P Kardos
Gemeinschaftspraxis und Pneumologisches Allergologisches Zentrum Maingau Krankenhaus Frankfurt am Main
Pneumologie 58:570-602. 2004
- Once-daily dosing with budesonide/formoterol compared with twice-daily budesonide/formoterol and once-daily budesonide in adults with mild to moderate asthmaP Kuna
Division of Pneumonology and Allergy, Barlicki University Hospital, Medical University of Lodz, Lodz, Poland
Respir Med 100:2151-9. 2006..Budesonide/formoterol administered once daily in the evening is a convenient treatment regimen that is as effective in improving asthma control as twice-daily dosing in patients with mild to moderate persistent asthma...
- [Clinical significance of gastrooesophageal reflux in asthma]T Rothe
Luzerner Höhenklinik Montana, Switzerland
Pneumologie 60:672-8. 2006..An algorithm to guide the diagnostic and therapeutic steps in such cases is presented...
- [Guidelines for diagnosing extrinsic allergic alveolitis (hypersensitivity pneumonitis) (German Extrinsic Allergic Alveolitis Study Group)]J Sennekamp
Die Institutsangaben sind am Ende des Beitrags gelistet
Pneumologie 61:52-6. 2007
- [Therapy of lung diseases with anti-oxidants]R Buhl
Pneumologie 48:50-6. 1994....
- [COPD or how much do we spend for what]C Vogelmeier
Pneumologie 58:833-4. 2004
- The role of neutrophils in the pathogenesis of obliterative bronchiolitis after lung transplantationA Elssner
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care, The Heart and Lung Institute, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA
Transpl Infect Dis 3:168-76. 2001..These mechanisms may provide possible targets to develop new therapeutic strategies that either prevent neutrophil sequestration and activation, or inhibit neutrophil products in order to prevent or attenuate airway damage...
- Identification of a novel, multifunctional beta-defensin (human beta-defensin 3) with specific antimicrobial activity. Its interaction with plasma membranes of Xenopus oocytes and the induction of macrophage chemoattractionJ R Garcia
IPF PharmaCeuticals GmbH, Feodor Lynen Strasse 31, 30625 Hanover, Germany
Cell Tissue Res 306:257-64. 2001..Human beta-defensins represent a family of antimicrobial peptides differentially expressed in most tissues, regulated by specific mechanisms, and exerting physiological functions not only related to direct host defense...
- Molecular basis of alpha 1-antitrypsin deficiency and emphysema associated with the alpha 1-antitrypsin Mmineral springs alleleD T Curiel
Pulmonary Branch, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Mol Cell Biol 10:47-56. 1990..e., the alpha 1AT Mmineral springs allele predisposes to emphysema on the basis of serum apha 1AT deficiency coupled with alpha AT dysfunction...
- Bronchial epithelial cell B7-1 and B7-2 mRNA expression after lung transplantation: a role in allograft rejection?A Elssner
Section for Pulmonary Diseases, Klinikum Grosshadern, Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, Germany
Eur Respir J 20:165-9. 2002..In summary, B7 messenger ribonucleic acid expression by bronchial epithelial cells may play a role in (chronic) lung allograft rejection...
- [The 10-minute consultation: hemoptysis]A R Koczulla
Philipps Univ Marburg, Innere Medizin Pneumologie
MMW Fortschr Med 149:46-7. 2007
- [Care of patients under mechanical ventilation at home and in nursing home conditions. Position paper of the German Medical Associations of Pneumology and Ventilatory Support ("Deutsche Gesellschaft für Pneumologie und Beatmungsmedizin e. V." and "ArbeitsW Randerath
Institut für Pneumologie an der Universität Witten Herdecke, Klinik für Pneumologie und Allergologie, Zentrum für Schlaf und Beatmungsmedizin, Krankenhaus Bethanien, Aufderhöher Strasse 169 175, 42699 Solingen
Pneumologie 62:305-8. 2008..V." and the "Arbeitsgemeinschaft für Heimbeatmung und Respiratorentwöhnung e. V.", wish to present this actual position paper. However, scientific guidelines are in preparation...
- [The pneumologist as detective]C Vogelmeier
Pneumologie 58:639-40. 2004
- IPF or NSIP? That is the questionC Vogelmeier
Eur Respir J 22:191-2. 2003
- ESPEN Guidelines on Enteral Nutrition: Cardiology and pulmonologyS D Anker
Division of Applied Cachexia Research, Department of Cardiology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, CVK, Berlin, Germany
Clin Nutr 25:311-8. 2006..Frequent small amounts of ONS are preferred in order to avoid postprandial dyspnoea and satiety as well as to improve compliance...