- [Specific immunotherapy for allergic rhinitis. Current methods and innovative developments]O Pfaar
Zentrum für Rhinologie und Allergologie der HNO Universitätsklinik Mannheim, An den Quellen 10, 65183 Wiesbaden
HNO 56:764-75. 2008....
- [Cluster immunotherapy of persistent allergic rhinoconjunctivitis. Safety aspects of induction therapy with mite depot allergen preparations]O Pfaar
HNO Universitätsklinik, Mannheim
HNO 57:1099-105. 2009..In cluster SIT, 2-3 injections per treatment day are applied resulting in an accelerated achievement of the maintenance dose...
- Clinical outcome measures of specific immunotherapyOliver Pfaar
Center for Rhinology and Allergology, Wiesbaden, Germany
Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 9:208-13. 2009..In particular, it focuses on primary and secondary outcome measurements and reviews the advantages and disadvantages of each method...
- Safety of two cluster schedules for subcutaneous immunotherapy in allergic rhinitis or asthma patients sensitized to inhalant allergensO Pfaar
Center for Rhinology and Allergology Wiesbaden, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Mannheim, An den Quellen 10, Wiesbaden DE 65189, Germany
Int Arch Allergy Immunol 150:102-8. 2009..Subcutaneous immunotherapy (SCIT) usually requires a long titration phase, which can be associated with various adverse events (AEs)...
- Pathophysiology of itching and sneezing in allergic rhinitisOliver Pfaar
Center for Allergy and Rhinology, Wiesbaden, Germany
Swiss Med Wkly 139:35-40. 2009..Further, the role of neuropeptides and neurotrophins with regard to neuronal and immune cell activation which might play a key role in the future treatment of allergic rhinitis are discussed...
- Efficacy and safety of specific immunotherapy with a high-dose sublingual grass pollen preparation: a double-blind, placebo-controlled trialOliver Pfaar
Rhinology and Allergology Center, Wiesbaden, Germany
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 100:256-63. 2008..Sublingual immunotherapy (SLIT) is increasingly being used for the treatment of allergic rhinitis, but there are conflicting study results demonstrating clinically relevant efficacy...
- Safety of a depigmented, polymerized vaccine for the treatment of allergic rhinoconjunctivitis and allergic asthmaOliver Pfaar
Center for Rhinology and Allergology, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Mannheim, An den Quellen 10, Wiesbaden, Germany
Am J Rhinol Allergy 24:220-5. 2010..Clinical efficacy of specific immunotherapy (SIT) with depigmented, polymerized allergen extracts is well documented in placebo-controlled trials, and safety data are encouraging although further data are required...
- [Application of humanized Anti-IgE antibodies (omalizumab). A new principle in the treatment of allergic diseases in ENT medicine]O Pfaar
Zentrum für Rhinologie und Allergologie Wiesbaden der HNO Universitätsklinik Mannheim, An den Quellen 10, 65183 Wiesbaden
HNO 55:981-90; quiz 991-2. 2007..Further areas of applications in ENT medicine could be anticipated in other IgE-related illnesses, such as allergic rhinitis, food allergies, laryngitis and chronic allergy-related rhinosinusitis...
- Treatment of hypertrophic palatine tonsils using bipolar radiofrequency-induced thermotherapy (RFITT.)O Pfaar
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Mannheim, Ruprecht Karls University Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
Acta Otolaryngol 127:1176-81. 2007..Radiofrequency volume reduction of palatine tonsils is a gentle and safe treatment method in selected patients, which should carefully be considered as an alternative to tonsillectomy or tonsillotomy...
- Eicosanoids, aspirin-intolerance and the upper airways--current standards and recent improvements of the desensitization therapyO Pfaar
Center for Rhinology and Allergy, Wiesbaden, Germany
J Physiol Pharmacol 57:5-13. 2006..Recently, the intravenous route for the inititial increment desensitization has been described which might offer new therapeutical possibilities in the treatment of ASA-intolerant patients...
- [Diagnosis and treatment of insect venom allergy. An important allergic issue for the ear, nose and throat specialist]O Pfaar
Zentrum für Rhinologie und Allergologie Wiesbaden
HNO 53:1099-115. 2005..The important dose-increase phase can be performed using conventional, cluster, rush or ultra-rush schedules. Specific immunotherapy is successful in nearly 90% to 100% of patients after 3-5 years of treatment...
- [The value and possibilities of immunotherapy in the treatment of allergic rhinitis]O Pfaar
Zentrum für Allergologie und Rhinologie Wiesbaden
MMW Fortschr Med 148:28-32. 2006..For sublingual therapy, too, questions about the impact on asthma development, new sensitizations and long-term outcomes have not yet been fully clarified...
- Aspirin desensitization in aspirin intolerance: update on current standards and recent improvementsOliver Pfaar
Center for Allergy and Rhinology, Wiesbaden, Germany
Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 6:161-6. 2006..In particular, it focuses on current standards and recent improvements in aspirin desensitization. Recent publications on various desensitization protocols and routes of administration are discussed...
- [Olfactory testing: diagnostic methods for investigating the sense of smell]O Pfaar
Zentrum für Rhinologie und Allergologie, Wiesbaden
MMW Fortschr Med 148:34-6. 2006..For testing smell in the demented, comatose or simulating patient, the measurement of chemosensory evoked potentials (CSEP) is an established method...
- [Cluster immunotherapy in allergic rhinoconjunctivitis: review of a new therapeutic approach]O Pfaar
Zentrum für Rhinologie und Allergologie, An den Quellen 10, 65183, Wiesbaden, Germany
Hautarzt 57:875-80. 2006..As far as safety goes, cluster immunotherapy is an interesting alternative for the dose-increase period. In addition, recent studies reveal that clinical benefits appear sooner with cluster immunotherapy...
- [Bronchial asthma--what is of importance for the ENT-specialist?]O Pfaar
Zentrum für Rhinologie und Allergologie, Wiesbaden
Laryngorhinootologie 85:834-44; quiz 845-6. 2006..This article gives a detailed overview on these topics and the current guidelines...
- Immunologic effect and tolerability of intra-seasonal subcutaneous immunotherapy with an 8-day up-dosing schedule to 10,000 standardized quality-units: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trialOliver Pfaar
Center for Rhinology and Allergology, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Mannheim, Wiesbaden, Germany
Clin Ther 34:2072-81. 2012..However, because subjects often present to physicians with allergy symptoms during the pollen season, "within-season" initiation of specific immunotherapy is of special interest...
- Safety aspects of Cluster immunotherapy with semi-depot allergen extracts in seasonal allergic rhinoconjunctivitisOliver Pfaar
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Mannheim, Mannheim, Germany
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 267:245-50. 2010..With respect to safety aspects, this accelerated dosage schedule could turn into an interesting alternative for dosage increase during subcutaneous immunotherapy (SCIT)...
- Sublingual allergen-specific immunotherapy adjuvanted with monophosphoryl lipid A: a phase I/IIa studyOliver Pfaar
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University Hospital Mannheim, Center for Rhinology and Allergology, Wiesbaden, Germany
Int Arch Allergy Immunol 154:336-44. 2011..This is the first reported study of adjuvanted SLIT...
- Cluster protocols in SCIT: enough evidence for practical use?Oliver Pfaar
Centre for Rhinology and Allergology Wiesbaden of the Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Mannheim, D 65183 Wiesbaden, Germany
Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 10:188-93. 2010..The review provides a comprehensive evaluation of Cluster schedules in subcutaneous-specific immunotherapy (SCIT) in terms of the safety profile and onset of clinical and immunological effects...
- Aspirin intolerance: does desensitization alter the course of the disease?L Klimek
Center for Rhinology and Allergy, An den Quellen 10, D 65183 Wiesbaden, Germany
Immunol Allergy Clin North Am 29:669-75. 2009..Apart from surgical or pharmacologic therapy, ASA-desensitization therapy is the treatment of choice. Various desensitization protocols and routes of administration are discussed...
- Mechanical obstruction of the olfactory cleft reveals differences between orthonasal and retronasal olfactory functionsOliver Pfaar
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Dresden Medical School, Fetscherstrasse 74, D-01307 Dresden, Germany
Chem Senses 31:27-31. 2006..This might become a valuable model of hyposmia for future investigations...
- Accelerated up-dosing of subcutaneous immunotherapy with a registered allergoid grass pollen preparationOliver Pfaar
Center for Rhinology and Allergology Wiesbaden, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Mannheim, Dusseldorf, Germany
Int Arch Allergy Immunol 160:420-4. 2013..Conclusion: The accelerated SCIT regimen was found to be as safe as the conventional regimen and might be used to up-dose patients within 2 weeks. Moreover, the immunological effects of both up-dosing regimens were comparable...
- Adjuvants for immunotherapyOliver Pfaar
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Mannheim, Germany
Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 12:648-57. 2012..This article gives an overview about the current state of preclinical and clinical studies using different kinds of adjuvants and their effect on allergen-specific immunotherapy (SIT)...
- [Specific immunotherapy with depigmented allergoids]L Klimek
Zentrum für Rhinologie und Allergologie, An den Quellen 10, 65183, Wiesbaden, Deutschland
HNO 58:51-6. 2010..Recent data suggest that the modified polymerized allergoids allow a safe rush titration in a few days or even in 1 day (ultra-rush titration)...
- Assessment of olfactory function after septoplasty: a longitudinal studyO Pfaar
Smell and Taste Clinic, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Dresden Medical School, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Rhinology 42:195-9. 2004..In contrast, postoperative changes were only seen for odor discrimination. Apart from psychological explanations of this finding, it may be hypothesized that these observations result from changes in intranasal airflow following surgery...
- Allergological approach to drug hypersensitivity reactionsBernhard Przybilla
, , Germany
J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 6:240-3. 2008