Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Otto-von-Guericke University
- CD95-mediated signals in the skin: going out with an (inflammatory) bang?Martin Leverkus
Laboratory for Experimental Dermatology, Department of Dermatology and Venerology, Otto von Guericke University of Magdeburg, Magdeburg, Germany
J Invest Dermatol 126:2364-6. 2006..This more pleiotropic function of CD95L as enhancer of inflammation may be equally important to apoptosis induction of keratinocytes, at least in eczema...
- "Bak (and Bax) to the future"--of primary melanoma prognosis?Martin Leverkus
Laboratory for Experimental Dermatology, Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg, Magdeburg, Germany
J Invest Dermatol 126:1212-4. 2006..Consequently, inactivation of mitochondrial signaling pathways of apoptosis may not only be a prerequisite for melanoma progression but may also hamper therapeutic efforts with chemotherapeutic drugs...
- Bullous allergic hypersensitivity to bed bug bites mediated by IgE against salivary nitrophorinMartin Leverkus
Department of Dermatology, University of Wurzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
J Invest Dermatol 126:91-6. 2006..lectularius nitrophorin, but not to 37 kDa C. lectularius apyrase. Our data demonstrate that bullous cimicosis may be the late-phase response of an allergic IgE-mediated hypersensitivity to C. lectularius nitrophorin...
- FLIP ing the coin? Death receptor-mediated signals during skin tumorigenesisMartin Leverkus
Department of Dermatology and Venerology, Laboratory for Experimental Dermatology, Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg, Magdeburg, Germany
Exp Dermatol 17:614-22. 2008..In this respect, cFLIP may act to 'FLIP the coin' during the development of keratinocyte skin cancer...
- Cellular FLICE-inhibitory protein (cFLIP) isoforms block CD95- and TRAIL death receptor-induced gene induction irrespective of processing of caspase-8 or cFLIP in the death-inducing signaling complexShyam M Kavuri
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Laboratory for Experimental Dermatology, Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg, Magdeburg 39120, Germany
J Biol Chem 286:16631-46. 2011..cFLIP-mediated inhibition of CD95 and TRAIL DR could be of crucial importance during keratinocyte skin carcinogenesis and for the activation of innate and/or adaptive immune responses triggered by DR activation in the skin...
- cFLIPL inhibits tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand-mediated NF-kappaB activation at the death-inducing signaling complex in human keratinocytesTina Wachter
University of Wurzburg Medical School, Department of Dermatology, Josef Schneider Strasse 2, 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
J Biol Chem 279:52824-34. 2004..Hence, cFLIP(L) modulation in keratinocytes may not only influence apoptosis sensitivity but may also lead to altered death receptor-dependent skin inflammation...
- NF-kappaB inhibition reveals differential mechanisms of TNF versus TRAIL-induced apoptosis upstream or at the level of caspase-8 activation independent of cIAP2Philip Diessenbacher
Laboratory for Experimental Dermatology, Department of Dermatology and Venerology, Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg, Magdeburg, Germany
J Invest Dermatol 128:1134-47. 2008....
- TRAIL-induced apoptosis and gene induction in HaCaT keratinocytes: differential contribution of TRAIL receptors 1 and 2Martin Leverkus
University of Wurzburg Medical School, Department of Dermatology, Wurzburg, Germany
J Invest Dermatol 121:149-55. 2003..Taken together, our data suggest that beside its potent pro-apoptotic role, LZ-TRAIL leads to pro-inflammatory responses that are mainly mediated by TRAIL receptor 1 in HaCaT keratinocytes...
- The contact allergen nickel sensitizes primary human endothelial cells and keratinocytes to TRAIL-mediated apoptosisMarc Schmidt
Department of Dermatology, University Medical Center Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
J Cell Mol Med 14:1760-76. 2010....
- Cellular IAPs inhibit a cryptic CD95-induced cell death by limiting RIP1 kinase recruitmentPeter Geserick
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg, Germany
J Cell Biol 187:1037-54. 2009..These results demonstrate a fundamental role for RIP1 in CD95 signaling and provide support for a physiological role of caspase-independent death receptor-mediated cell death...
- Suprabasal spongiosis in acute eczematous dermatitis: cFLIP maintains resistance of basal keratinocytes to T-cell-mediated apoptosisNicole Armbruster
Department of Dermatology, Venereology and Allergology, University of Wurzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
J Invest Dermatol 129:1696-702. 2009....
- cIAPs block Ripoptosome formation, a RIP1/caspase-8 containing intracellular cell death complex differentially regulated by cFLIP isoformsMaria Feoktistova
Department of Dermatology, Venereology, and Allergology, Medical Faculty Mannheim, University Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Mol Cell 43:449-63. 2011..The differential quality of cell death mediated by the Ripoptosome may cause important pathophysiological consequences during inflammatory responses...
- Sustained JNK activation in response to tumor necrosis factor is mediated by caspases in a cell type-specific mannerAndreas Wicovsky
Department of Molecular Internal Medicine, Medical Clinic and Polyclinic II, University of Wurzburg, Rontgenring 11, 97070 Wurzburg, Germany
J Biol Chem 282:2174-83. 2007..Thus, sustained JNK activation by TNF has no obligate role in TNF-induced cell death and is mediated by caspases and reactive oxygen species in a cell type-specific manner...
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy status is a key parameter to stratify the prognostic heterogeneity of malignant melanoma in high-risk tumors >4.0 mmDaniela Göppner
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Otto von Guericke University, Magdeburg, Germany
Dermatology 222:59-66. 2011..The value of sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) as a useful strategy to assess the risk of future metastasis in high-risk melanomas (>4.0 mm) is controversially discussed...
- Effector pathways during eczematous dermatitis: where inflammation meets cell deathAndreas Kerstan
Department of Dermatology, Venerology and Allergology, University of Wurzburg, Germany
Exp Dermatol 18:893-9. 2009..Further advances will come from identification of the immunoregulatory mechanisms involved in the pathogenesis of eczematous dermatitis. Potential therapeutic interventions are discussed...
- Pick your poison: the Ripoptosome, a cell death platform regulating apoptosis and necroptosisMaria Feoktistova
Section of Molecular Dermatology, Department of Dermatology, Venereology, and Allergology, Medical Faculty Mannheim, University Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
Cell Cycle 11:460-7. 2012..Our study thus supports and extends the intriguing role of the Ripoptosome for the regulation of apoptosis and necroptosis...
- Premonitory epidermolysis bullosa acquisita mimicking eyelid dermatitis: successful treatment with rituximab and protein A immunoapheresisIlja Kubisch
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg, Magdeburg, Germany
Am J Clin Dermatol 11:289-93. 2010..Consequently, dermatologists should be aware of this rare differential diagnosis of eyelid dermatitis where a contact allergy or atopic dermatitis is absent...
- Death receptor-induced signaling pathways are differentially regulated by gamma interferon upstream of caspase 8 processingDaniela Siegmund
Department of Molecular Internal Medicine, Medical Polyclinic, University of Wurzburg, Rontgenring 11, 97070 Wurzburg, Germany
Mol Cell Biol 25:6363-79. 2005..Overexpression of FLIP(L) and FLIP(S) inhibited Fas- as well as TRAIL-mediated NF-kappaB activation and apoptosis induction in IFN-gamma-primed cells suggesting that both responses are coregulated at the level of the DISC...
- Candida albicans triggers activation of distinct signaling pathways to establish a proinflammatory gene expression program in primary human endothelial cellsVerena Müller
Department of Dermatology, University Medical Center Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
J Immunol 179:8435-45. 2007..Our study provides the first comprehensive analysis of endothelial gene responses to C. albicans and presents novel insights into the complex signaling patterns triggered by this important pathogen...
- MHC class II-mediated apoptosis in dendritic cells: a role for membrane-associated and mitochondrial signaling pathwaysMartin Leverkus
, Department of Dermatology, Josef-Schneider-Strasse 2, , Germany
Int Immunol 15:993-1006. 2003....
- Recurrent hemolysis-associated pseudoerysipelas of the lower legs in a patient with congenital spherocytosisMartin Leverkus
Department of Dermatology, University of Wurzburg, Germany
J Am Acad Dermatol 51:1019-23. 2004..These eruptions might be caused by intermittent hemolysis-induced inflammation as a result of the increased osmotic fragility of the erythrocytes and may evolve to chronic leg ulcers later in life...
- BerEP4-negative basal cell carcinoma on the palm: case report and review of the literatureAnna Mleczko
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, University of Magdeburg, Germany
J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 9:140-3. 2011..We review the literature on these rare BCC in atypical anatomical regions, and discuss the cellular origin of BCC in such locations...
- Cell death in the skin: how to study its quality and quantity?Roman Makarov
Section of Molecular Dermatology, Department of Dermatology, Venereology, and Allergology, Medical Faculty Mannheim, University Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Methods Mol Biol 961:201-18. 2013..These methods include crystal violet assay, hypodiploidy analysis, caspase-8 cleavage, release of HMGB1, annexin V/propidium iodide co-staining, and Hoechst/SYTOX green co-staining...
- Dual role of the mitochondrial protein frataxin in astrocytic tumorsElmar Kirches
Department of Neuropathology, Otto von Guericke University, Magdeburg, Germany
Lab Invest 91:1766-76. 2011..These data contrast to a general tumor suppressor function of FXN but suggest a dual, pro-proliferative but chemosensitizing role in astrocytic tumors...
- [Multilocular furunculosis and chronic-persisting eczema in a 17-year-old patient]Daniela Göppner
Klinik für Dermatologie und Venerologie, Otto von Guericke Universitat Magdeburg, Magdeburg, Germany
J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 4:766-9. 2006
- First diagnosis of Martin-Albright syndrome in a 58-year-old patientSven R Quist
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Otto von Guericke University of Magdeburg, Magdeburg, Germany
J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 7:43-5. 2009..The clinical diagnosis was confirmed by detection of reduced activity of Gsalpha. In patients with cutaneous calcification and disturbed calcium metabolism, AHO is an important differential diagnostic consideration...
- Proteasome inhibition results in TRAIL sensitization of primary keratinocytes by removing the resistance-mediating block of effector caspase maturationMartin Leverkus
Department of Dermatology, University of Wurzburg Medical School, 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
Mol Cell Biol 23:777-90. 2003....
- Control of large institutional scabies outbreaksJohanna Stoevesandt
Department of Dermatology, Venereology and Allergology, University Hospital Wurzburg, Josef Schneider Straße 2, Wurzburg, Germany
J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 10:637-47. 2012..Scabies outbreaks in community facilities may reach large dimensions and take a protracted course. Highly contagious crusted scabies is a major cause of nosocomial outbreaks...
- Malignant epithelial tumors: Part I. Pathophysiology and clinical featuresMartin Leverkus
Department of Dermatology, Venereology and Allergology of the Medical Faculty Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 10:457-71; quiz 472. 2012..Furthermore, the article gives an overview of inherited syndromes that predispose to malignant epithelial tumors...
- Basal cell carcinoma: from the molecular understanding of the pathogenesis to targeted therapy of progressive diseaseDaniela Göppner
Department of Dermatology and Venerology, Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg, Leipziger St 44, 39120 Magdeburg, Germany
J Skin Cancer 2011:650258. 2011..This paper summarizes the current understanding of BCC carcinogenesis and describes the current "mechanism-based" therapeutic strategies...
- Helicobacter pylori-induced activation of beta-catenin involves low density lipoprotein receptor-related protein 6 and DishevelledThorsten Gnad
Institute of Experimental Internal Medicine, Otto von Guericke University, Magdeburg, Germany
Mol Cancer 9:31. 2010..pylori...
- Prognostic parameters for the primary care of melanoma patients: what is really risky in melanoma?Daniela Göppner
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Otto von Guericke University Hospital, Leipziger Str 44, 39120 Magdeburg, Germany
J Skin Cancer 2011:521947. 2011..This review summarizes the current understanding of carcinogenesis and gives a detailed overview of known morphologic and potentially future genetic prognostic parameters in malignant melanoma...
- NFkappaB activation by Fas is mediated through FADD, caspase-8, and RIP and is inhibited by FLIPSebastian Kreuz
Institute of Cell Biology and Immunology, University of Stuttgart, Germany
J Cell Biol 166:369-80. 2004..Thus, protection against Fas-induced apoptosis in a FLIP-independent manner converted a proapoptotic Fas signal into an inflammatory NFkappaB-related response...
- FLICE/caspase-8 activation triggers anoikis induced by beta1-integrin blockade in human keratinocytesAlessandra Marconi
Institute of Dermatology, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Via del Pozzo 71, 41100 Modena, Italy
J Cell Sci 117:5815-23. 2004..However, the release of cytochrome c and the later activation of caspase-9 seem to suggest that the intrinsic mitochondrial pathway may intervene as a positive feedback loop of caspase activation...
- Yersinia YopP-induced apoptotic cell death in murine dendritic cells is partially independent from action of caspases and exhibits necrosis-like featuresSabine Gröbner
Institute of Medical Microbiology and Hygiene, Eberhard Karls University of Tubingen, Elfriede Aulhorn Str 6, D 72076, Tubingen, Germany
Apoptosis 11:1959-68. 2006..However, it has to be resolved if necrosis-like DC death occurs independently from apoptotic events or as an apoptotic epiphenomenon...
- Cyclosporin A abolishes CD28-mediated resistance to CD95-induced apoptosis via superinduction of caspase-3Andreas Kerstan
Institute for Virology and Immunobiology, , Versbacher Strasse 7, , Germany
J Immunol 177:7689-97. 2006..Taken together, these findings suggest that CsA promotes sensitivity to CD95-mediated apoptosis in CD28-stimulated T cells by superinduction of the caspase-3 gene via a mechanism involving suppression of the calcineurin pathway...
- IAP antagonists target cIAP1 to induce TNFalpha-dependent apoptosisJames E Vince
Department of Biochemistry, La Trobe University, Kingsbury Drive, Melbourne, VIC 3086, Australia
Cell 131:682-93. 2007..Cells treated with an IAC, or those in which cIAP1 was deleted, became sensitive to apoptosis induced by exogenous TNFalpha, suggesting novel uses of these compounds in treating cancer...
- Acute generalised exanthematous pustulosis with subepidermal blisters of the distal extremities induced by diltiazemAnja Gesierich
Dermatology 213:48-9. 2006
- Increased expression and a potential anti-inflammatory role of TRAIL in atopic dermatitisEkatherina Vassina
Department of Pharmacology, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
J Invest Dermatol 125:746-52. 2005..Moreover, increased expression of IL-1Ra was observed in keratinocytes of AD lesional skin. These data suggest that TRAIL-expressing inflammatory skin cells may contribute to the epidermal activation of the IL-1Ra gene in AD...
- Imiquimod: unexpected killerMartin Leverkus
J Invest Dermatol 122:XV-XVI. 2004
- Reduced joining of DNA ends correlates with chromosomal instability in three melanoma cell linesThomas M Rünger
Department of Dermatology, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Tumour Biol 24:100-8. 2003..Although a small sample was studied, this raises the possibility that defects in DNA end joining may also contribute to genetic instability and chromosome aberrations in melanoma...