- The evolution of the upright posture and gait--a review and a new synthesisCarsten Niemitz
Institut für Humanbiologie und Anthropologie, Freie Universitat Berlin, Albrecht Thaer Weg 6, 14195, Berlin, Germany
Naturwissenschaften 97:241-63. 2010..The new synthesis presented here is able to harmonise many of the hitherto competing theories...
- Results of an explorative empirical study on human mating in Germany: handsome men, not high-status men, succeed in courtshipAlexander Pashos
Institut fur Biologie, Freie Universitat Berlin
Anthropol Anz 61:331-41. 2003..However, in this respect, status had no influence. The results show that sex differences in mating are more complex than hitherto assumed...
- "Right-trunkers" and "left-trunkers": side preferences of trunk movements in wild Asian elephants (Elephas maximus)Franziska Martin
Department of Human Biology and Anthropology, Freie Universitat Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Comp Psychol 117:371-9. 2003..the authors discuss possible explanations for the evolution of asymmetries in unpaired grasping organs...
- Human ears grow throughout the entire lifetime according to complicated and sexually dimorphic patterns--conclusions from a cross-sectional analysisCarsten Niemitz
Institute for Human Biology and Physical Anthropology, Freie Universitat Berlin, Germany
Anthropol Anz 65:391-413. 2007..The ontogenetic development of one or more pretragal skin folds could be used as a contribution to age estimations in forensic anthropology...
- A theory on the evolution of the habitual orthograde human bipedalism--the "Amphibische Generalistentheorie"Carsten Niemitz
Division of Human Biology and Physical Anthropology, Freie Universitat Berlin, Germany
Anthropol Anz 60:3-66. 2002....
- Kinematics and ontogeny of locomotion in monkeys and human babiesCarsten Niemitz
Division for Human Biology and Anthropology, Fachbereich Biologie, Chemie, Pharmazie, , Germany
Z Morphol Anthropol 83:383-400. 2002..Besides many other details of the results, foot movements differed from adult ones mainly in that the whole plantar surface was placed flat on the ground within a few milliseconds...
- Recurrence plot analyses suggest a novel reference system involved in newborn spontaneous movementsBirte Assmann
Institute of Human Biology and Anthropology, Free University Berlin, Albrecht Thaer Weg 6, 14195 Berlin, Germany
Behav Res Methods 38:400-6. 2006..In the framework of home base behavior, our approach uncovered a novel reference system of spontaneous newborn movements...