- [The efficacy of Slow Stroke Massage in depression]Bruno Muller-Oerlinghausen
Brain Center Berlin
Psychiatr Prax 34:S305-8. 2007..The pre-post-differences in various dimensions were significantly greater during massage than during the control condition. They were also more marked in patients as compared to healthy subjects...
- Antidepressants and suicidal riskB Muller-Oerlinghausen
Department of Psychiatry, Freie Universitat Berlin, Germany
J Clin Psychiatry 60:94-9; discussion 111-6. 1999..A suicide-preventing effect has not been demonstrated conclusively for antidepressants or non-lithium mood stabilizers...
- [Pharmacologic management of atrial fibrillation by specialists in internal medicine, cardiologists, and general practitioners (GPs) in Berlin]Bruno Muller-Oerlinghausen
Med Klin (Munich) 98:359-63. 2003..Aim of the present study was to investigate in which way general practitioners (GPs) as well as specialists in internal medicine and cardiologists in private practice are managing treatment of AF in the German capital...
- How should findings on antisuicidal effects of lithium be integrated into practical treatment decisions?B Muller-Oerlinghausen
Drug Commission, German Medical Association, Jebensstr 3, 10623, Berlin, Germany
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 253:126-31. 2003..Guidelines and algorithms for selecting an appropriate prophylactic strategy in affective disorders should take into consideration the suicide risk of an individual patient...
- Serotonergic platelet markers of suicidal behavior--do they really exist?B Muller-Oerlinghausen
Former Research Group Clinical Psychopharmacology, Freie Universitat Berlin, 14050 Berlin, Germany
J Affect Disord 79:13-24. 2004..Abnormal changes in platelets used as peripheral markers of central serotonergic functions are said to be associated with suicidality and depression, but this association has not been supported by consistent findings...
- [Effects of slow-stroke massage as complementary treatment of depressed hospitalized patients]B Muller-Oerlinghausen
Kliniken im Theodor Wenzel Werk, Chefarzt Abt Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Berlin
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 129:1363-8. 2004..S.A. Although there are some pointers to the antidepressive and anxiolytic action of slow-stroke massage in various randoms studies of patient cohorts, there have been no controlled trials of depressed hospitalized patients...
- The impact of lithium long-term medication on suicidal behavior and mortality of bipolar patientsBruno Muller-Oerlinghausen
Former Research Group Clinical Psychopharmacology, Freie Universitat Berlin, Germany
Arch Suicide Res 9:307-19. 2005..The evidence that lithium can effectively reduce suicide risk has been integrated into modern algorithms in order to select the optimal maintenance therapy for an individual patient...
- [Prof. Dr. medicine em. Mogens Schou (1918-2005)]B Muller-Oerlinghausen
Arzneimittelkommission der deutschen Arzteschaft, Jebensstrasse 3, 10623, Berlin, Deutschland
Nervenarzt 77:596-7. 2006
- [Pharmacological suicide prevention under special consideration of lithium salts]Bruno Muller-Oerlinghausen
Brain Center Berlin
Psychiatr Prax 34:S292-5. 2007..This minireview summarizes the existing evidence from large, international observational studies and RCTs on the suicide preventive effects of lithium as compared to other mood stabilizers and antidepressants...
- The antisuicidal and mortality-reducing effect of lithium prophylaxis: consequences for guidelines in clinical psychiatryBruno Muller-Oerlinghausen
Freie Universitat, German Medical Association, Cologne Berlin, Germany
Can J Psychiatry 48:433-9. 2003..06% of the population). Rational treatment strategies most likely would demand that prescription rates be about 10 times higher...
- [Improving drug safety in Germany: an alliance between the government and the medical profession]Bruno Muller-Oerlinghausen
Robert Rössle Klinik im HELIOS Klinikum Berlin Buch, Klinik für Hämatologie, Onkologie u Tumorimmunologie, Charite, Campus Berlin Buch
Z Evid Fortbild Qual Gesundhwes 102:582-6; discussion 593, 606-8. 2008..This project was issued in November 2007 by the Federal Ministry of Health. The Drug Commission will be responsible for the co-ordination of any future actions...
- Valproate as an adjunct to neuroleptic medication for the treatment of acute episodes of mania: a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter study. European Valproate Mania Study GroupB Muller-Oerlinghausen
Department of Psychiatry, University Clinic Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
J Clin Psychopharmacol 20:195-203. 2000..Valproate is beneficial because it allows the administration of fewer neuroleptic medications and produces improved and quicker remission of manic symptoms...
- [The Therapeutic Drug Committee of German Physicians. 50 years in the service of drug safety in Germany]B Muller-Oerlinghausen
Internist (Berl) 43:482, 485-92. 2002
- Concretism in biological suicide research -- are we eating the menu instead of the meal? Some thoughts on present research strategiesB Muller-Oerlinghausen
Former Clinical Psychopharmacology Research Group, Department of Psychiatry, Freie Universitat Berlin, Germany
Pharmacopsychiatry 35:44-9. 2002..Several studies indicate that there is no correlation between changes in central and peripheral serotonergic parameters. The mechanism of changes of peripheral serotonergic parameters is not sufficiently understood...
- Arguments for the specificity of the antisuicidal effect of lithiumB Muller-Oerlinghausen
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 251:II72-5. 2001..e., evidence could be provided that lithium also reduces suicidal behavior in patients who do not benefit from the lithium treatment in terms of episode reduction...
- Lithium augmentation increases the ACTH and cortisol response in the combined DEX/CRH test in unipolar major depressionTom Bschor
Department of Psychiatry, Technische Universitat Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Neuropsychopharmacology 27:470-8. 2002..This effect might be explained by the serotonergic effects of lithium...
- How long should the lithium augmentation strategy be maintained? A 1-year follow-up of a placebo-controlled study in unipolar refractory major depressionTom Bschor
Department of Psychiatry, Technische Universitat Dresden, Dresden, Germany
J Clin Psychopharmacol 22:427-30. 2002..Study data suggest that active medication should be maintained for at least 1 year after successful lithium augmentation in patients with unipolar major depressive disorder...
- Lithium augmentation increases post-dexamethasone cortisol in the dexamethasone suppression test in unipolar major depressionTom Bschor
Department of Psychiatry, Technische Universitat Dresden, Germany
Depress Anxiety 17:43-8. 2003..This is in contrast to the established decline of HPA system activity during treatment with tricyclic antidepressants...
- Effects of supraphysiological thyroxine administration in healthy controls and patients with depressive disordersMichael Bauer
Department of Psychiatry, Klinikum Benjamin Franklin, Freie Universitat Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Affect Disord 68:285-94. 2002..Unexpectedly, only minimal side effects have been reported. The goal of the present study was to investigate whether healthy controls and depressed patients differ in their ability to tolerate supraphysiological doses of T(4)...
- Bipolar disorderBruno Muller-Oerlinghausen
Department of Psychiatry, Research Group of Clinical Psychopharmacology, Freie Universitat Berlin, Berlin
Lancet 359:241-7. 2002..They also possess well documented antisuicidal effects. Second choice prophylactic treatments are carbamazepine and valproate, although evidence of their effectiveness is weaker...
- Association between response to lithium augmentation and the combined DEX/CRH test in major depressive disorderTom Bschor
Department of Psychiatry, Technische Universitat Dresden, Fetscherstrasse 74, D 01307, Dresden, Germany
J Psychiatr Res 37:135-43. 2003..Results of this study should be confirmed in a larger study group...
- Correlation between serotonin uptake in human blood platelets with the 44-bp polymorphism and the 17-bp variable number of tandem repeat of the serotonin transporterRolf Kaiser
Institute of Clinical Pharmacology, Universitatsklinikum Charite, Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Am J Med Genet 114:323-8. 2002..This was also observed for the combined analysis of both polymorphisms. In conclusion, we found no association between the different genotypes of the 44-bp polymorphism and the 17-bp VNTR and maximum rate of 5-HT uptake into platelets...
- High platelet-serotonin uptake activity is associated with a rapid response in depressed patients treated with amitriptylineLeonora Franke
Department of Psychiatry, Laboratory of Clinical Neurobiology, Humboldt University Charite, Schumannstrasse 20 21, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
Neurosci Lett 345:105-8. 2003..8 versus 25.5+/-7.7 versus 24.1+/-5.8 pMol [3H]-5HT/10(9) plat. x 5 min, respectively). The findings indicate that pre-treatment 5HT uptake activity contributes to the individual variability in response time to amitriptyline treatment...
- Supraphysiological doses of L-thyroxine in the maintenance treatment of prophylaxis-resistant affective disordersMichael Bauer
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Charite, Humboldt University of Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Neuropsychopharmacology 27:620-8. 2002..In conclusion, adjunctive treatment with L-thyroxine in supraphysiological doses may be an effective strategy in the maintenance treatment of patients with prophylaxis-resistant affective disorders...
- Platelet-5HT uptake and gastrointestinal symptoms in patients suffering from major depressionLeonora Franke
Department of Psychiatry, Humboldt University Charite, Schumannstr 20 21, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
Life Sci 74:521-31. 2003....
- The influence of successful prophylactic drug treatment on cognitive dysfunction in bipolar disordersThomas Wolf
Department of Psychiatry, Psychotherapy and Psychosomatic Medicine, District Hospital Itzehoe, Germany
Bipolar Disord 4:263-70. 2002..In the context of bipolar disorders dysfunctional cognitive structures have received little interest as these patients seem to be less disturbed during the euthymic interval than patients with major depression...
- Suicidality, impulsivity and aggression--is there a link to 5HIAA concentration in the cerebrospinal fluid?Jens Roggenbach
Former Research Group Clinical Psychopharmacology, Freie Universitat Berlin, 14050, Berlin, Germany
Psychiatry Res 113:193-206. 2002..More carefully designed studies are required to overcome the existing methodological shortcomings...
- Commentary on a recent review of lithium toxicity: what are its implications for clinical practice?Bruno Muller-Oerlinghausen
Drug Commission of the German Medical Association, Berlin, Germany
BMC Med 10:132. 2012..We feel that some specific limitations of the study were related to the inclusion of patients regardless of adequacy of treatment, quality of monitoring, drug combinations, age and sex, and stabilization response...
- Suicidality as rare adverse event of antidepressant medication: report from the AMSP multicenter drug safety surveillance projectSusanne Stübner
Department of Psychiatry, Ludwig Maximilian University, School of Medicine, Nussbaumstraße 7, D 80336 Munich, Germany
J Clin Psychiatry 71:1293-307. 2010..The aim of this study is to contribute to this ongoing discussion by taking a heuristic case-based approach to the question...
- Prophylaxis of schizoaffective disorder with lithium or carbamazepine: outcome after long-term follow-upChristopher Baethge
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Universitatsklinikum Benjamin Franklin, Freie Universitat Berlin, Eschenallee 3, 14050 Berlin, Germany
J Affect Disord 79:43-50. 2004....
- The impact of the CYP2D6 polymorphism on haloperidol pharmacokinetics and on the outcome of haloperidol treatmentJurgen Brockmoller
Institute of Clinical Pharmacology, University Medical Center Charite, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Clin Pharmacol Ther 72:438-52. 2002..The impact of the polymorphism on haloperidol pharmacokinetics, adverse events, and efficacy was prospectively evaluated under naturalistic conditions in 172 unselected psychiatric inpatients with acute psychotic symptoms...
- [Which evaluations are fundamental for medical training in pharmacotherapy?]Bruno Muller-Oerlinghausen
Arzneimittelkommission der deutschen Arzteschaft, Berlin
Z Arztl Fortbild Qualitatssich 99:285-8. 2005..For the sake of optimal patient care, "pluralistic" approaches towards setting valid therapeutic rules and standards are no alternative during the periods of basic medical training...