- Blockade of HMG-CoA reductase activity causes changes in microtubule-stabilizing protein tau via suppression of geranylgeranylpyrophosphate formation: implications for Alzheimer's diseaseV Meske
Institute of Anatomy, Charite, Philippstrasse 12, D 10115 Berlin, Germany
Eur J Neurosci 17:93-102. 2003....
- Coupling of mammalian target of rapamycin with phosphoinositide 3-kinase signaling pathway regulates protein phosphatase 2A- and glycogen synthase kinase-3 -dependent phosphorylation of TauVolker Meske
Center of Anatomy, Institute of Integrative Neuroanatomy, Department of Clinical Cell and Neurobiology, Charite, Charite Platz 1, 10098 Berlin, Germany
J Biol Chem 283:100-9. 2008....
- Cholesterol storage and tau pathology in Niemann-Pick type C disease in the brainRoland Distl
Institut fur Anatomie, Charite, Humboldt Universitat, Berlin, Germany
J Pathol 200:104-11. 2003....
- Spatial and temporal distribution of intracellular free cholesterol in brains of a Niemann-Pick type C mouse model showing hyperphosphorylated tau protein. Implications for Alzheimer's diseaseStephanie Treiber-Held
Institut fur Anatomie, Charite, Humboldt University, 10098 Berlin, Germany
J Pathol 200:95-103. 2003..The NPC mouse model may thus serve as a tool to analyse the role of cholesterol in initial changes of tau that eventually lead to the formation of tangles in both NPC and AD...
- Dietary cholesterol and its effect on tau protein: a study in apolipoprotein E-deficient and P301L human tau miceFrauke Glöckner
Institute for Integrative Neuroanatomy, Charite, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 70:292-301. 2011..In htau-ApoE mice on the high cholesterol regimen, brain oxysterol levels were less than in htau-ApoE mice, and the numbers of neurons with pathologically altered tau were similar to those in htau-ApoE mice on the high-cholesterol diet...
- Cholesterol and tau protein--findings in Alzheimer's and Niemann Pick C's diseaseT G Ohm
Institute of Anatomy, Department of Clinical Cell and Neurobiology, Charite, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Pharmacopsychiatry 36:S120-6. 2003..In summary, the data showed interesting similarities between NPC and AD suggesting some pathological metabolic pathway in common...
- Cell cultures of autopsy-derived fibroblastsVolker Meske
Department Klinische Zell und Neurobiologie, Institute for Anatomie, Charite, Berlin, Germany
Methods Mol Med 107:111-23. 2005
- Cholesterol, statins and tauT G Ohm
Institute of Integrative Neuroanatomy, Department of Clinical Cell and Neurobiology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Germany
Acta Neurol Scand Suppl 185:93-101. 2006..These changes vary depending on how cholesterol metabolism is manipulated. Effects seem to be either mild and transient, or drastic and related to neurodegeneration, or independent of the mevalonate pathway...
- The autophagic defect in Niemann-Pick disease type C neurons differs from somatic cells and reduces neuronal viabilityVolker Meske
Center of Anatomy, Institute of Integrative Neuroanatomy, Department of Clinical Cell and Neurobiology, Charite, Charite Platz 1, 10098 Berlin, Germany Electronic address
Neurobiol Dis 64:88-97. 2014..From our results, we conclude that a pharmacological intervention in the neuropathology of NPC-disease should focus on the restoration of the lysosomal degradation capacity of cells. ..
- Tangle-bearing neurons contain more free cholesterol than adjacent tangle-free neuronsR Distl
Institute of Anatomy, Humboldt University Berlin, Germany
Acta Neuropathol 101:547-54. 2001....
- Genotype-related differences of hippocampal apolipoprotein E levels only in early stages of neuropathological changes in Alzheimer's diseaseF Glockner
Institute of Anatomy, Department of Clinical Cell and Neurobiology, Charite, 10098 Berlin, Germany
Neuroscience 114:1103-14. 2002..These stages are believed to represent phases of the disease in which the beginning neurodegeneration can be compensated by plastic reorganization...
- Pathological cholesterol metabolism fails to modify electrophysiological properties of afflicted neurones in Niemann-Pick disease type CR A Deisz
Center of Anatomy, Charite, Institute of Integrative Neuroanatomy, Department of Clinical Cell and Neurobiology, Schumann Strasse 20 21, 10098 Berlin, Germany
Neuroscience 130:867-73. 2005..We therefore conclude that gross alterations of the electrophysiological properties of neurones will probably not initiate or substantially contribute to the development of the motor impairment or other neurological signs of NPC...
- Plasticity and the spread of Alzheimer's disease-like changesThomas G Ohm
Institute for Anatomy, Department Clinical Cell and Neurobiology, Charité Humboldt University 10098 Berlin, Germany
Neurochem Res 28:1715-23. 2003..Special emphasis is given to some aspects of lipid metabolism, that is, apolipoprotein E polymorphism, statin effects, and lysosomal dysfunction in Alzheimer's and Niemann-Pick C's diseases...