Affiliation: Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology
- Metabolic regulation and behavior: how hunger produces arousal - an insect studyDieter Wicher
Department of Evolutionary Neuroethology, Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology, Hans Knoell Str 8, 07745 Jena, Germany
Endocr Metab Immune Disord Drug Targets 7:304-10. 2007..Systemically injected AKH I stimulates locomotion in contrast to AKH II. This behavioral difference corresponds to the different effectiveness of the AKHs on the level of G-proteins...
- TRPgamma channels are inhibited by cAMP and contribute to pacemaking in neurosecretory insect neuronsDieter Wicher
Department of Neurohormones, Saxon Academy of Sciences, 07743 Jena, Germany
J Biol Chem 281:3227-36. 2006..We thus propose that the pTRPgamma protein is involved in forming the channel passing the Ca2+ pakemaking background current in DUM neurons...
- Differential receptor activation by cockroach adipokinetic hormones produces differential effects on ion currents, neuronal activity, and locomotionDieter Wicher
Department of Neurohormones, Saxon Academy of Sciences, Jena, Germany
J Neurophysiol 95:2314-25. 2006..Our findings also show that AKHs act through the same basic mechanisms on neuronal and nonneuronal cells, and they support an integration of metabolic and neuronal effects in homoeostatic mechanisms...
- Drosophila odorant receptors are both ligand-gated and cyclic-nucleotide-activated cation channelsDieter Wicher
Department of Evolutionary Neuroethology, Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology, Hans Knöll St 8, D 07745 Jena, Germany
Nature 452:1007-11. 2008..Thereby, they provide rapid and transient as well as sensitive and prolonged odorant signalling...
- dOr83b--receptor or ion channel?Dieter Wicher
Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology, Jena, Germany
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1170:164-7. 2009..Insect odorant receptors thus form ligand-gated channels as well as complexes of odorant-sensing units and cyclic nucleotide-activated nonselective cation channels...
- Physiological and morphological characterization of local interneurons in the Drosophila antennal lobeYoichi Seki
Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology, Department of Evolutionary Neuroethology, Jena, Germany
J Neurophysiol 104:1007-19. 2010....
- Peptidergic counter-regulation of Ca(2+)- and Na(+)-dependent K(+) currents modulates the shape of action potentials in neurosecretory insect neuronsDieter Wicher
Saxon Academy of Sciences, Dept Neurohormones, Erbertstr 1, 07743 Jena, Germany
J Neurophysiol 95:311-22. 2006..The possible physiological relevance of this dual effect is discussed in respect to transmitter release and synaptic integration...
- Insect odorant response sensitivity is tuned by metabotropically autoregulated olfactory receptorsMerid N Getahun
Department Evolutionary Neuroethology, Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology, Jena, Germany
PLoS ONE 8:e58889. 2013..Our results indicate that Orco-mediated regulation of OR sensitivity provides tunable ionotropic receptors capable of detecting odors over a wider range of concentrations, providing broadened sensitivity over IRs themselves...
- Temporal response dynamics of Drosophila olfactory sensory neurons depends on receptor type and response polarityMerid N Getahun
Department of Evolutionary Neuroethology, Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology Jena, Germany
Front Cell Neurosci 6:54. 2012..This diversity increases the capacity of the insect olfactory system to respond to the diverse spatiotemporal signals in the natural environment...
- A conserved dedicated olfactory circuit for detecting harmful microbes in DrosophilaMarcus C Stensmyr
Department of Evolutionary Neuroethology, Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology, Hans Knoll Strasse 8, 07745 Jena, Germany
Cell 151:1345-57. 2012..The geosmin detection system is a conserved feature in the genus Drosophila that provides flies with a sensitive, specific means of identifying unsuitable feeding and breeding sites...
- Piezo controlled microinjection: an in vivo complement for in vitro sensory studies in insectsShannon B Olsson
Department of Evolutionary Neuroethology, Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology, Hans Knoell Str 8, Jena 07745, Germany
J Neurosci Methods 201:385-9. 2011..This approach provides an improved in vivo method to investigate questions in sensory neuron physiology as a complement to heterologous expression systems...
- Different Ca2+ signalling cascades manifested by mastoparan in the prothoracic glands of the tobacco hornworm, Manduca sexta, and the silkworm, Bombyx moriSkarlatos G Dedos
Saxon Academy of Sciences at Leipzig, Department of Neurohormones, Jena, Germany
Arch Insect Biochem Physiol 65:52-64. 2007..We propose that in B. mori, mastoparan stimulates Ca(2+) mobilization from ryanodine-sensitive intracellular Ca(2+) stores in prothoracic gland cells...
- Antennal transcriptome of Manduca sextaEwald Grosse-Wilde
Department for Evolutionary Neuroethology, Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology, 07745 Jena, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:7449-54. 2011..Finally, we compare the expression of the near-complete transcript sets in male and female antennae...
- A new regulation of non-capacitative calcium entry in insect pacemaker neurosecretory neurons. Involvement of arachidonic acid, no-guanylyl cyclase/cGMP, and cAMPDieter Wicher
Saxon Academy of Sciences, Department Neurohormones, Erbertstrasse 1, 07743 Jena, Germany
J Biol Chem 279:50410-9. 2004..We also demonstrate that any mechanism increasing the cGMP level can induce NCCE...
- Four novel sequences in Drosophila melanogaster homologous to the auxiliary Para sodium channel subunit TipEChristian Derst
Center for Anatomy, Charite Berlin, Philippstr 12, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 339:939-48. 2006..We conclude that members of the TEH-family are auxiliary subunits for Para sodium channels and possibly other ion channels...
- Regulation of capacitative Ca2+ entry by prothoracicotropic hormone in the prothoracic glands of the silkworm, Bombyx moriSkarlatos G Dedos
Saxon Academy of Sciences at Leipzig, Dept Neurohormones, PF 100322, 07703 Jena, Germany
J Exp Zool A Comp Exp Biol 303:101-12. 2005....
- BmBKTx1, a novel Ca2+-activated K+ channel blocker purified from the Asian scorpion Buthus martensi KarschChen Qi Xu
Key Laboratory of Proteomics, Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences Graduate School, Shanghai 200031, China
J Biol Chem 279:34562-9. 2004..As the first reported toxin active on the Drosophila Slo channel dSlo, it will also greatly facilitate studying the physiological role of BK channels in this model organism...