Klaus Armin Nave
Affiliation: Max Planck Institute for Experimental Medicine
- Nave K. Myelination and support of axonal integrity by glia. Nature. 2010;468:244-52 pubmed publisher..This function may be independent of myelin itself. Myelin abnormalities cause a number of neurological diseases, and may also contribute to complex neuropsychiatric disorders. ..
- MÃ¶bius W, Nave K, Werner H. Electron microscopy of myelin: Structure preservation by high-pressure freezing. Brain Res. 2016;1641:92-100 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled SI: Myelin Evolution. ..
- Saab A, Tzvetavona I, Trevisiol A, Baltan S, Dibaj P, Kusch K, et al. Oligodendroglial NMDA Receptors Regulate Glucose Import and Axonal Energy Metabolism. Neuron. 2016;91:119-32 pubmed publisher..This reveals a novel aspect of neuronal energy metabolism in which activity-dependent glutamate release enhances oligodendroglial glucose uptake and glycolytic support of fast spiking axons. ..
- Supplie L, Düking T, Campbell G, Diaz F, Moraes C, Gotz M, et al. Respiration-Deficient Astrocytes Survive As Glycolytic Cells In Vivo. J Neurosci. 2017;37:4231-4242 pubmed publisher..Here, we report that these mice are fully viable in the absence of any signs of glial or neuronal loss, suggesting that astrocytes are naturally glycolytic cells. ..
- Nave K, Tzvetanova I, Schirmeier S. Glial Cell Evolution: The Origins of a Lipid Store. Cell Metab. 2017;26:701-702 pubmed publisher..In this issue, Liu et al. (2017) demonstrate that neuronal lipid synthesis is driven by the glial lactate shuttle. This lipoprotein-dependent deposition of lipids may be at the origin of glial specializations evolving in vertebrates...