Affiliation: Max Planck Institute for Limnology
- Mortality selection during the 2003 European heat wave in three-spined sticklebacks: effects of parasites and MHC genotypeK Mathias Wegner
Department of Integrative Biology IBZ, Experimental Ecology, ETH Zurich, Universitatstrasse 16, CH 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
BMC Evol Biol 8:124. 2008....
- Snail host finding by Fasciola hepatica and Trichobilharzia ocellata: compound analysis of "miracidia-attracting glycoproteins"M Kalbe
Institute for Zoology I, University of Erlangen, Staudtstrasse 5, D 91058 Erlangen, Germany
Exp Parasitol 96:231-42. 2000....
- Heredity of specific host-finding behaviour in Schistosoma mansoni miracidiaM Kalbe
Department of Evolutionary Ecology, Max Planck Institute for Limnology, August Thienemann Strasse 2, D 24306 Plon, Germany
Parasitology 128:635-43. 2004..mansoni to acquire new host snails after being introduced to South America by the slave trade...
- Local differences in immunocompetence reflect resistance of sticklebacks against the eye fluke Diplostomum pseudospathaceumM Kalbe
Max Planck Institute for Limnology, Department of Evolutionary Ecology, August Thienemann Strasse 2, D 24306 Plon, Germany
Parasitology 132:105-16. 2006..Our results suggest that sticklebacks from lakes are better adapted to cope with higher parasite abundance in this habitat...
- Genetic variation in MHC class II expression and interactions with MHC sequence polymorphism in three-spined sticklebacksK M Wegner
Max Planck Institute of Limnology, Department of Evolutionary Ecology, August Thienemann Str 2, 24306 Plön, Germany
Mol Ecol 15:1153-64. 2006..The observed differences among families and the negative correlation with individual sequence diversity imply that MHC expression is evolutionary relevant for the onset and control of the immune response in natural populations...
- Disentangling the role of MHC-dependent 'good genes' and 'compatible genes' in mate-choice decisions of three-spined sticklebacks Gasterosteus aculeatus under semi-natural conditionsT L Lenz
Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Biology, Department of Evolutionary Ecology, August Thienemann Str 2, 24306 Plön, Germany
J Fish Biol 75:2122-42. 2009..e. compatible genes). In addition, the potentially dynamic role of MHC good genes in mate choice under different parasite pressures is discussed in the light of present and previous results...
- Individual MHC class I and MHC class IIB diversities are associated with male and female reproductive traits in the three-spined sticklebackI Jager
Department of Evolutionary Ecology, Max Planck Institute of Limnology, Plon, Germany
J Evol Biol 20:2005-15. 2007..The parasite against which this allele provides resistance is therefore unlikely to have been predominant the previous year - a step to negative frequency-dependent selection...
- MHC-based mate choice combines good genes and maintenance of MHC polymorphismC Eizaguirre
Department of Evolutionary Ecology, Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Biology, Ploen, Germany
Mol Ecol 18:3316-29. 2009....
- Infectivity of two nematode parasites, Camallanus lacustris and Anguillicola crassus, in a paratenic host, the three-spined stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatusC K Krobbach
Department of Evolutionary Ecology, Max Planck Institute for Limnology, August Thienemann Strasse 2, 24306 Plön, Germany
Dis Aquat Organ 74:119-26. 2007..Granulocyte:lymphocyte ratios were elevated only within the stickleback group showing the highest infection intensity of C. lacustris, i.e. to those exposed 18 parasites...
- Host-finding in Echinostoma caproni: miracidia and cercariae use different signals to identify the same snail speciesB Haberl
Institute for Zoology I, University of Erlangen, Germany
Parasitology 120:479-86. 2000..This indicates an independent evolution of host-finding mechanisms in the two parasite stages...
- How a complex life cycle can improve a parasite's sex lifeG Rauch
Max Planck Institute for Limnology, Department of Evolutionary Ecology, Plon, Germany
J Evol Biol 18:1069-75. 2005..The proposed advantage of increased parasite clone intermixture may be a novel selection pressure favouring the maintenance of complex life cycles...
- Modulation of granulocyte responses in three-spined sticklebacks Gasterosteus aculeatus infected with the tapeworm Schistocephalus solidusJ P Scharsack
Max Planck Institute of Limnology, Department of Evolutionary Ecology, August-Thienemann-Strasse 2, , Germany
Dis Aquat Organ 59:141-50. 2004..These observations may reflect the ability of S. solidus to impair the host's immune response once the parasite is developing in the body cavity of G. aculeatus...
- Characterization of antisera raised against stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) MHC class I and class II moleculesJ P Scharsack
Department of Evolutionary Ecology, Max Planck Institute for Limnology, August Thienemann Str 2, 24306 Ploen, Germany
Fish Shellfish Immunol 23:991-1002. 2007..This suggests differential expression of the two stickleback MHC II alpha genes (Gaac-DAA, Gaac-DBA) only one of which (Gaac-DBA) has a site for N-linked glycosylation...
- Rapid genetic divergence in postglacial populations of threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus): the role of habitat type, drainage and geographical proximityT B Reusch
Max Planck Institut für Limnologie, Abt Evolutions Okologie, August Thienemann Str 2, 24306 Plön, Germany
Mol Ecol 10:2435-45. 2001..This demonstrates both the utility of hypervariable microsatellites for detecting recent population divergences and the danger of operating at temporal or spatial scales which are beyond their resolution...
- In vitro transition of Schistocephalus solidus (Cestoda) from coracidium to procercoid and from procercoid to plerocercoidP J Jakobsen
Institute for Biology, University of Bergen, Thor Møhlensgt 55, 5020 Bergen, Norway
Exp Parasitol 130:267-73. 2012....
- Multiple parasites are driving major histocompatibility complex polymorphism in the wildK M Wegner
Max Planck Institute of Limnology, Department of Evolutionary Ecology, Plon, Germany
J Evol Biol 16:224-32. 2003..We thus present correlative evidence supporting the 'allele counting' strategy for optimizing the immunocompetence in stickleback offspring...