- Front-line treatment of advanced non-small-cell lung cancer with MTA (LY231514, pemetrexed disodium, ALIMTA) and cisplatin: a multicenter phase II trialC Manegold
Thoraxklinik Heidelberg GmBH, Germany
Ann Oncol 11:435-40. 2000..To evaluate the activity of MTA plus cisplatin in chemotherapy-naive patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)...
- Randomized phase II study of three doses of the integrin inhibitor cilengitide versus docetaxel as second-line treatment for patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancerChristian Manegold
Medizinische Fakultät Mannheim der Universität Heidelberg, Theodor Kutzer Ufer 1 3, 68167 Mannheim, Germany
Invest New Drugs 31:175-82. 2013....
- Chemotherapy in Stage I/II NSCLC and projects of the EORTC-Lung Cancer Group for Early Stage Lung CancerC Manegold
Thoraxklinik Heidelberg gGmbH, Amalienstrasse 5, 69126 Heidelberg, Germany
Lung Cancer 34:S53-8. 2001....
- A phase III randomized study of gemcitabine and cisplatin with or without PF-3512676 (TLR9 agonist) as first-line treatment of advanced non-small-cell lung cancerC Manegold
Interdisciplinary Thoracic Oncology, Department of Surgery, University Medical Center Mannheim, Heidelberg University, Mannheim, Germany
Ann Oncol 23:72-7. 2012..This open-label phase III study assessed the addition of Toll-like receptor 9-activating oligodeoxynucleotide PF-3512676 to gemcitabine/cisplatin chemotherapy in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC)...
- Pemetrexed for the treatment of non-small-cell lung cancerChristian Manegold
Chirurgische Universitätsklinik Mannheim Interdisziplinäre Thorakale Onkologie, Theodor Kutzer Ufer 1 3, D 68167 Mannheim, Germany
Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 9:1195-209. 2009..Ongoing trials aim to establish the place of pemetrexed in maintenance, in combination with other 'targeted agents', in adjuvant therapy in early NSCLC and in concurrent radio/chemotherapy...
- New options for integrating antiangiogenic therapy and platinum-based first-line chemotherapy for advanced non-small-cell lung cancerChristian Manegold
Department of Surgery, University Medical Center, Mannheim, Germany
Clin Lung Cancer 9:S100-8. 2008..The promising activity of antiangiogenic agents in the advanced disease setting, allied with growing understanding of their novel modes of action, holds therapeutic promise for their future application in early-stage disease...
- Randomized phase II trial of a toll-like receptor 9 agonist oligodeoxynucleotide, PF-3512676, in combination with first-line taxane plus platinum chemotherapy for advanced-stage non-small-cell lung cancerChristian Manegold
University Medical Center Mannheim, Heidelberg University, Mannheim, Germany
J Clin Oncol 26:3979-86. 2008..This study assessed the efficacy of the combination of standard taxane plus platinum chemotherapy with the synthetic Toll-like receptor 9-activating oligodeoxynucleotide PF-3512676 in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC)...
- [Docetaxel (Taxotere) as first-line therapy of advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)]C Manegold
Innere Medizin Onkologie, Thoraxklinik Heidelberg
Onkologie 26:26-32. 2003..e. Gemcitabine, Vinorelbine) Taxotere has also shown promising activity in randomized studies and may offer advantages for patients not eligible to receive platinum-based compounds...
- Second-line (post-study) chemotherapy received by patients treated in the phase III trial of pemetrexed plus cisplatin versus cisplatin alone in malignant pleural mesotheliomaC Manegold
Heidelberg University Medical Center, Mannheim, Germany
Ann Oncol 16:923-7. 2005..Because post-study chemotherapy (PSC) may have influenced the outcome of the trial, we examined its use and association with survival...
- A pilot trial of gefitinib in combination with docetaxel in patients with locally advanced or metastatic non-small-cell lung cancerChristian Manegold
Multidisciplinary Thoracic Oncology, Department of Surgery, Heidelberg University Medical Center, Mannheim, Germany
Clin Lung Cancer 6:343-9. 2005..This combination is feasible and has an acceptable and predictable safety profile, as well as associated antitumor activity...
- Gemcitabine (Gemzar) in non-small cell lung cancerChristian Manegold
Thoraxklinik Heidelberg GmBH, Innere Medizin Onkologie, Amalienstrasse 5, 69126 Heidelberg, Germany
Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 4:345-60. 2004..This review summarizes results from representative Phase I, II and III studies in order to underline gemcitabine's clinical importance for patients suffering from early and advanced NSCLC...
- Chemotherapy for advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)Christian Manegold
Department of Internal Medicine Medical Oncology, Thoraxklinik Heidelberg gGmbH, Amalienstrasse 5, 69129 Heidelberg, Germany
Lung Cancer 38:S47-50. 2002
- Pemetrexed: its promise in treating non-small-cell lung cancerChristian Manegold
Thoraxklinik, Heidelberg, Germany
Oncology (Williston Park) 18:43-8. 2004..This review summarizes the clinical experience obtained thus far during the early clinical development of pemetrexed in NSCLC...
- Randomized multicenter phase II study of gemcitabine versus docetaxel as first-line therapy with second-line crossover in advanced-stage non-small-cell lung cancerChristian Manegold
Heidelberg University Medical Center Mannheim, Mannheim, Germany
Clin Lung Cancer 7:208-14. 2005....
- Bevacizumab for the treatment of advanced non-small-cell lung cancerChristian Manegold
Heidelberg University Medical Center, Department of Surgery Interdisciplinary Thoracic Oncology, Theodor Kutzer Ufer 1 3, 68167 Mannheim, Germany
Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 8:689-99. 2008..A number of ongoing trials will potentially expand the eligible patient population for bevacizumab and further define its role in NSCLC treatment...
- Phase I dose-escalating study of raltitrexed ('Tomudex') and cisplatin in metastatic non-small cell lung cancerC Manegold
Thorax Klinik Heidelberg GmbH, Innere Medizin Onkologie, Amalienstr 5, Germany
Lung Cancer 36:183-9. 2002....
- Chemotherapy for advanced non-small cell lung cancer: standardsC Manegold
Department of Internal Medicine Medical Oncology, Thoraxklinik Heidelberg, Amalienstr 5, D 69126, Heidelberg, Germany
Lung Cancer 34:S165-70. 2001..Both studies demonstrated that Docetaxel 75 mg/m2 given every 3 weeks significantly prolongs survival, and offers clinically meaningful benefits to patients who have an acceptable performance status...
- Prognostic significance of RASSF1A promoter methylation on survival of non-small cell lung cancer patients treated with gemcitabineJürgen R Fischer
Department of Medical Oncology, Thoraxklinik Heidelberg gGmbH, Heidelberg, Germany
Lung Cancer 56:115-23. 2007..Molecular parameters such as hypermethylation of RASSF1A or p14(ARF) may be useful prognostic markers in subpopulations...
- Pemetrexed (Alimta, MTA, multitargeted antifolate, LY231514) for malignant pleural mesotheliomaChristian Manegold
Thoraxklinik Heidelberg GmBH, Germany
Semin Oncol 30:32-6. 2003....
- Cetuximab attenuates metastasis and u-PAR expression in non-small cell lung cancer: u-PAR and E-cadherin are novel biomarkers of cetuximab sensitivityDessislava A Nikolova
Department of Experimental Surgery and Molecular Oncology of Solid Tumors, Medical Faculty Mannheim, University Heidelberg and DKFZ German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg, Germany
Cancer Res 69:2461-70. 2009..This is the first study to show u-PAR as a target and marker of sensitivity to Cetuximab, and to delineate novel mechanisms leading to metastasis suppression of NSCLC by Cetuximab...
- Pemetrexed: current development and future directions in thoracic cancersChristian Manegold
Thoraxklinik, Heidelberg, Germany
Suppl Tumori 1:S11-2. 2002
- Pemetrexed for diffuse malignant pleural mesotheliomaChristian Manegold
Department of Medical Oncology Internal Medicine, Thoraxklinik Heidelberg, gGmbH, Heidelberg, Germany
Semin Oncol 29:30-5. 2002..This led to a large international study of the combination of pemetrexed plus cisplatin...
- Standard versus dose-intensified chemotherapy with sequential reinfusion of hematopoietic progenitor cells in small cell lung cancer patients with favorable prognosisErika Buchholz
Department of Surgery and Interdisciplinary Thoracic Oncology, Klinikum Mannheim, Mannheim, Germany
J Thorac Oncol 2:51-8. 2007..The combination of ifosfamide, carboplatin, and etoposide (ICE) is highly effective in treating small cell lung cancer (SCLC). Myelosuppression resulting in leukopenia and thrombocytopenia is the dose-limiting toxicity...
- Promoter methylation of RASSF1A, RARbeta and DAPK predict poor prognosis of patients with malignant mesotheliomaJürgen R Fischer
Department of Medical Oncology, Thoraxklinik Heidelberg gGmbH, Heidelberg, Germany
Lung Cancer 54:109-16. 2006..028). Our results support the idea that the prognostic value of a combination of epigenetic alterations is superior to the impact of an individual gene alone on overall survival...
- [Differential indications for induction therapy of non-small-cell lung tumors]P Drings
Abteilung Innere Medizin Onkologie, Thoraxklinik Heidelberg gGmbH, Heidelberg
Chirurg 71:1466-73. 2000..Therefore it is justified to recommend this multimodal therapy in stage IIIa N2 disease within clinical studies. However, it is currently not justified to present this multimodal treatment modality as a generally agreed standard...
- Gemcitabine in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)C Manegold
Thoraxklinik der LVA, University Teaching Hospital, Heidelberg, Germany
Invest New Drugs 18:29-42. 2000..Investigations combining gemcitabine with radiation therapy are on-going. The following review will summarize results from representative Phase I/II and III studies using gemcitabine for NSCLC patients...
- Gefitinib (Iressa, ZD 1839) for non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): recents results and further strategiesC Manegold
Thoraxklinik Heidelberg gGmbH, Amalienstrasse 5, 69126 Heidelberg Germany
Adv Exp Med Biol 532:247-52. 2003..Therefore it can be summarized that gefinitib may provide evaluable addition to the therapeutic options available for the treatment of advanced NSCLC and may also have potential for use in early NSCLC...
- Chemotherapy for advanced non-small cell lung cancerC Manegold
Department of Internal Medicine/Medical Oncology, Thoraxklinik, Heidelberg, Germany
Semin Oncol 28:1-6. 2001..This report, however, focuses on the use of chemotherapy in advanced disease. Semin Oncol 28 (suppl 7):1-6...
- Survival improvement in thoracic cancer: progress from the last decade and beyondChristian Manegold
Heidelberg University, Interdisciplinary Thoracic Oncology and Department of Surgery, University Medical Center Mannheim, Theodor Kutzer Ufer 1 3, 68167 Mannheim, Germany
Lung Cancer 57:S3-5. 2007..Research into the use of pharmacogenomics to tailor therapy to the individual patient is another innovative field that is yielding promising results that may help to improve the clinical outcome for patients with NSCLC in the future...
- Stereotactic intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) and inverse treatment planning for advanced pleural mesothelioma. Feasibility and initial resultsMarc W Munter
Clinical Cooperation Unit Radiation Oncology, German Cancer Research Center DKFZ, Heidelberg, Germany
Strahlenther Onkol 179:535-41. 2003..In a feasibility study, we evaluated if inversely planned stereotactic intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) could be applied in the treatment of MPM...
- Current therapies for mesothelioma [correction of glioblastoma]Christian Manegold
Department of Oncology, Thoraxklinik, Heidelberg, Germany
Clin Adv Hematol Oncol 2:648-9. 2004
- Endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS)--assessment of a new diagnostic tool in bronchoscopy for staging of lung cancerF Herth
, Thoraxklinik Heidelberg gGmbH, Heidelberg
Onkologie 24:151-4. 2001..It improves the results of bronchoscopy in addition to conventional diagnostic procedures. Further developments will be made in future to improve the application of ultrasound in chest medicine...
- Treatment of elderly patients with non-small-cell lung cancerC Manegold
Thorax Klinik-Heidelberg GmbH, Heidelberg, Germany
Oncology (Williston Park) 15:46-51. 2001..Clinical research with the new cytotoxic agents should be intensified to further define the most appropriate use for these drugs as single agents or in combination for the treatment of elderly patients...
- Single-agent pemetrexed or sequential pemetrexed/gemcitabine as front-line treatment of advanced non-small cell lung cancer in elderly patients or patients ineligible for platinum-based chemotherapy: a multicenter, randomized, phase II trialCesare Gridelli
Division of Medical Oncology, S G Moscati Hospital, Avellino, Italy
J Thorac Oncol 2:221-9. 2007....
- Open, randomized, phase II study of single-agent gemcitabine and docetaxel as first- and second-line treatment in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancerChristian Manegold
Department of Biostatistics, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg, Germany Baden Württemberg
Clin Lung Cancer 8:245-51. 2007..Gemcitabine and docetaxel are active as single agents. Our previous experience indicates that single-agent therapy, if given sequentially, could be an alternative to doublet combination chemotherapy and that sequence and schedule matter...
- Symptoms and patient-reported well-being: do they predict survival in malignant pleural mesothelioma? A prognostic factor analysis of EORTC-NCIC 08983: randomized phase III study of cisplatin with or without raltitrexed in patients with malignant pleural Andrew Bottomley
EORTC Data Center, Quality of Life Unit, avenue E Mounier, 83, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
J Clin Oncol 25:5770-6. 2007..This study reports an evaluation of the prognostic value of these factors using data gathered from a recent randomized controlled trial...
- Pemetrexed plus cisplatin or pemetrexed plus carboplatin for chemonaïve patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma: results of the International Expanded Access ProgramArmando Santoro
Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Rozzano, Italy
J Thorac Oncol 3:756-63. 2008..This manuscript reports the safety and efficacy data from the nonrandomized open-label study in chemonaïve patients receiving pemetrexed plus platinum under the EAP...
- Phase III study comparing cisplatin plus gemcitabine with cisplatin plus pemetrexed in chemotherapy-naive patients with advanced-stage non-small-cell lung cancerGiorgio Vittorio Scagliotti
University of Torino, Department of Clinical and Biological Sciences, S Luigi Hospital, Regione Gonzole, 10, Orbassano Torino, Italy
J Clin Oncol 26:3543-51. 2008..Cisplatin plus gemcitabine is a standard regimen for first-line treatment of advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Phase II studies of pemetrexed plus platinum compounds have also shown activity in this setting...
- Preoperative chemotherapy in patients with resectable non-small cell lung cancer: results of the MRC LU22/NVALT 2/EORTC 08012 multicentre randomised trial and update of systematic reviewDavid Gilligan
Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Lancet 369:1929-37. 2007....
- Phase III trial of pemetrexed plus best supportive care compared with best supportive care in previously treated patients with advanced malignant pleural mesotheliomaJacek Jassem
Radiotherapy and Oncology, Medical University of Gdansk, Debinki 7 St, Gdansk, Poland
J Clin Oncol 26:1698-704. 2008..Secondary end points included response rate, progression-free survival (PFS), time to tumor progression (TTP), time to treatment failure (TTF), and toxicity...
- Gefitinib monotherapy in chemotherapy-naive patients with inoperable stage III/IV non-small-cell lung cancerMartin Reck
Department of Thoracic Oncology, Hospital Grobhansdorf, Germany
Clin Lung Cancer 7:406-11. 2006..However, little is known of its activity as monotherapy in chemotherapy-naive patients. This phase II study (1839IL/0456) evaluated first-line gefitinib in patients with advanced-stage NSCLC...
- Phase III study of gemcitabine and cisplatin with or without aprinocarsen, a protein kinase C-alpha antisense oligonucleotide, in patients with advanced-stage non-small-cell lung cancerLuis Paz-Ares
Servicio de Oncologia Medica, Doce de Octubre University Hospital, Madrid, Spain
J Clin Oncol 24:1428-34. 2006....
- Randomized phase III trial of pemetrexed versus docetaxel in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer previously treated with chemotherapyNasser Hanna
Indiana University, 535 Barnhill Dr, Room 473, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Clin Oncol 22:1589-97. 2004..To compare the efficacy and toxicity of pemetrexed versus docetaxel in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) previously treated with chemotherapy...
- Gefitinib in combination with paclitaxel and carboplatin in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a phase III trial--INTACT 2Roy S Herbst
Department of Thoracic Head and Neck Medical Oncology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Unit 432, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Clin Oncol 22:785-94. 2004..This phase III, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial evaluated gefitinib plus paclitaxel and carboplatin in chemotherapy-naive patients with advanced NSCLC...
- Inadequacy of the RECIST criteria for response evaluation in patients with malignant pleural mesotheliomaRob J van Klaveren
Department of Pulmonology, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam, Netherlands
Lung Cancer 43:63-9. 2004....
- Advanced NSCLC: new cytostatic agentsParis A Kosmidis
Medical Oncology Department, Hygeia Hospital, Athens Tsoha 2 street, Athens 11521, Greece
Lung Cancer 41:S123-32. 2003..In this review we will present the current information about oxaliplatin, epothilones, irinotecan and alimta...
- Phase III study of pemetrexed in combination with cisplatin versus cisplatin alone in patients with malignant pleural mesotheliomaNicholas J Vogelzang
University of Chicago, Cancer Research Center, 5841 South Maryland Ave, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:2636-44. 2003..We conducted a phase III trial to determine whether treatment with pemetrexed and cisplatin results in survival time superior to that achieved with cisplatin alone...
- Phase II study of pemetrexed with and without folic acid and vitamin B12 as front-line therapy in malignant pleural mesotheliomaGiorgio V Scagliotti
University of Turin, Department of Clinical and Biological Sciences, Azienda Ospedaliera S Luigi, Regione Gonzole 10, 10043 Orbassano Torino Italy
J Clin Oncol 21:1556-61. 2003..This phase II clinical study evaluated the efficacy of pemetrexed for the treatment of malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM)...
- Chemotherapy for malignant pleural mesotheliomaSandra Tomek
Department of Medicine I, University Hospital Vienna, Austria
Curr Opin Oncol 15:148-56. 2003..Based on robust phase III study results, pemetrexed-cisplatin may soon be considered with chemotherapy for this aggressive disease...
- European organization for research and treatment of cancer (EORTC) 08957 phase II study of topotecan in combination with cisplatin as second-line treatment of refractory and sensitive small cell lung cancerAndrea Ardizzoni
Istituto Nazionale per la Ricerca sul Cancro, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Clin Cancer Res 9:143-50. 2003..The purpose of this study was to assess the activity and toxicity of a combined regimen of topotecan and cisplatin in "sensitive" (s) and "refractory" (r) small-cell lung cancer (SCLC) patients treated previously...
- Chemotherapy for malignant pleural mesothelioma: past results and recent developmentsSandra Tomek
Clinical Division of Oncology, Department of Medicine I, Vienna, Austria
Lung Cancer 45:S103-19. 2004..Publication of results from a phase III trial of pemetrexed with cisplatin in a peer reviewed journal may soon establish a standard of care...
- Pemetrexed combined with oxaliplatin or carboplatin as first-line treatment in advanced non-small cell lung cancer: a multicenter, randomized, phase II trialGiorgio V Scagliotti
Department of Clinical and Biological Sciences, Thoracic Oncology Unit, S Luigi Gonzaga Hospital, University of Torino, Regione Gonzole 10 00043 Orbassano, Turin, Italy
Clin Cancer Res 11:690-6. 2005..To determine efficacy and toxicity of two pemetrexed-based regimens in chemonaive patients with locally advanced or metastatic non-small cell lung cancer...
- Short-term treatment-related symptoms and quality of life: results from an international randomized phase III study of cisplatin with or without raltitrexed in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma: an EORTC Lung-Cancer Group and National Cancer InAndrew Bottomley
European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer, EORTC Data Center, Brussels, Belgium
J Clin Oncol 24:1435-42. 2006..This article compares the impact on HRQOL of first-line treatment with cisplatin versus raltitrexed and cisplatin...
- Epidermal growth factor receptor mutations and gene amplification in non-small-cell lung cancer: molecular analysis of the IDEAL/INTACT gefitinib trialsDaphne W Bell
Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center and Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:8081-92. 2005..The goal of this study was to determine the contribution of molecular alterations in EGFR to response and survival within the phase II (IDEAL) and phase III (INTACT) trials of gefitinib...
- Randomized phase III study of cisplatin with or without raltitrexed in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma: an intergroup study of the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer Lung Cancer Group and the National Cancer Institute Jan P van Meerbeeck
Thoracic Oncology Unit, University Hospital 7K12IE, De Pintelaan 185, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
J Clin Oncol 23:6881-9. 2005....
- Activating mutations in the tyrosine kinase domain of the epidermal growth factor receptor are associated with improved survival in gefitinib-treated chemorefractory lung adenocarcinomasMiguel Taron
Catalan Institute of Oncology, Pathology Department, Hospital Germans Trias i Pujol, Badalona, Spain
Clin Cancer Res 11:5878-85. 2005..Activating mutations in the tyrosine kinase domain of the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) confer a strong sensitivity to gefitinib, a selective tyrosine kinase inhibitor of EGFR...
- Topotecan and etoposide as first-line therapy for extensive disease small cell lung cancer: a phase II trial of a platinum-free regimenMartin Reck
Department of Thoracic Oncology, Hospital Grosshansdorf, Wohrendamm 80, 22927 Grosshansdorf, Germany
Lung Cancer 48:409-13. 2005..The regimen showed a tolerable safety profile. Since drug scheduling plays a critical role in the combination of topoisomerase I and II inhibitors, concurrent administration of topotecan and etoposide might increase the efficacy...
- Treatment of advanced non-small-cell lung cancer in the elderly: results of an international expert panelCesare Gridelli
Division of Medical Oncology, S G Moscati Hospital, Via Circumvallazione 68, 83100 Avellino, Italy
J Clin Oncol 23:3125-37. 2005..Best supportive care remains important, in addition to chemotherapy or as the exclusive option for patients who are unsuitable for more aggressive treatment...
- Gefitinib in combination with gemcitabine and cisplatin in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a phase III trial--INTACT 1Giuseppe Giaccone
Vrije Universiteit Medical Center, Department of Oncology, De Boelelaan 1117, 1081 Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Oncol 22:777-84. 2004..Gefitinib has demonstrated encouraging efficacy in advanced NSCLC in phase II trials in pretreated patients, and a phase I trial of gefitinib in combination with gemcitabine and cisplatin showed favorable tolerability...
- Standard versus intensified chemotherapy with granulocyte colony-stimulating factor support in small-cell lung cancer: a prospective European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer-Lung Cancer Group Phase III Trial-08923Andrea Ardizzoni
Istituto Nazionale per la Ricerca sul Cancro, Genova, Italy
J Clin Oncol 20:3947-55. 2002..To assess the impact on survival of increasing dose-intensity (DI) of cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, and etoposide (CDE) in small-cell lung cancer (SCLC)...
- Achieving survival improvement in thoracic tumours: from therapeutic strategy management to pharmacogenomicsNicholas Thatcher
Lung Cancer 57:S1-2. 2007