- Quantification of fungal DNA by using fluorescence resonance energy transfer and the light cycler systemJ Loeffler
Medizinische Klinik, Abteilung II, Eberhard Karls Universitat, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 38:586-90. 2000..All samples were also found to be PCR positive by PCR-enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay analysis...
- Automated RNA extraction by MagNA Pure followed by rapid quantification of cytokine and chemokine gene expression with use of fluorescence resonance energy transferJuergen Loeffler
Eberhard Karls Universität Tuebingen, Medizinische Klinik, 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
Clin Chem 49:955-8. 2003
- Development and evaluation of the nuclisens basic kit NASBA for the detection of RNA from Candida species frequently resistant to antifungal drugsJuergen Loeffler
Eberhard Karls Universitat, Medizinische Klinik, 72076, Tubingen, Germany
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 45:217-20. 2003..All 5 patients with documented candidiasis showed identical results by both methods. This assay offers a sensitive, specific and fast possibility to detect yeast RNA...
- Quantification of T-cell receptor excision circle DNA using fluorescence resonance energy transfer and the LightCycler systemJuergen Loeffler
Medizinische Klinik, Abteilung II, Otfried Mueller Str 10, Eberhard Karls Universitat, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
J Immunol Methods 271:167-75. 2002..6x10(4) copies/2x10(5) PBMNCs after 1x10(4) and 1.1x10(4) copies/2x10(5) PBMNCs after 2 years. In conclusion, the LightCycler-based real-time PCR assay described offers a very sensitive and rapid tool for the quantification of TREC DNA...
- Automated extraction of genomic DNA from medically important yeast species and filamentous fungi by using the MagNA Pure LC systemJuergen Loeffler
Medizinische Klinik, Eberhard Karls Universität Tuebingen, 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 40:2240-3. 2002..Thus, the MagNA Pure LC technique offers a fast protocol for automated DNA isolation from numerous fungi, revealing high sensitivity and purity...
- Polymerase chain reaction detection of aspergillus DNA in experimental models of invasive aspergillosisJuergen Loeffler
Medizinische Klinik Abteilung II, University of Tuebingen, Otfried Mueller Strasse 10, 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
J Infect Dis 185:1203-6. 2002..Quantitative PCR analysis of blood samples showed a fungus load of 10(1)-10(2) cfu/mL of blood. The data confirm the superior sensitivity of PCR for the diagnosis of experimental Aspergillus infections...
- Nucleic acid sequence-based amplification of Aspergillus RNA in blood samplesJ Loeffler
Medizinische Klinik, Abteilung II, Eberhard Karls Universitat Tubingen, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 39:1626-9. 2001..Thus, the NASBA technique provided a valuable tool for sensitive, specific, fast, and reliable detection of Aspergillus RNA with potential for routine diagnosis, including the possibility to test the viability of cells...
- Identification of rare Candida species and other yeasts by polymerase chain reaction and slot blot hybridizationJ Loeffler
Eberhard Karls Universitat Tubingen, Medizinische Klinik, Abteilung II, Tuebingen, Germany
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 38:207-12. 2000..The sequencing primers described bind to highly conserved primer binding sites. Therefore, these primers would allow rapid cycle sequence of additional ribosomal genes throughout the whole kingdom of fungi...
- Comparison between plasma and whole blood specimens for detection of Aspergillus DNA by PCRJ Loeffler
Medizinische Klinik, Abteilung II, Eberhard Karls Universitat Tubingen, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 38:3830-3. 2000..We conclude that although plasma and whole blood spiked with Aspergillus conidia showed an identical lower detection limit (10 CFU), the sensitivity of plasma PCR was lower than that of PCR performed on whole blood samples...
- Rapid detection of point mutations by fluorescence resonance energy transfer and probe melting curves in Candida speciesJ Loeffler
Medizinische Klinik, Abteilung II, Otfried Mueller Strasse 10, 72076 Tuebingen, Germany Fax 49 7071 293179, USA
Clin Chem 46:631-5. 2000..Point mutations leading to an altered structure of lanosteroldemethylase, the target enzyme of the fungistatic azoles, are an important mechanism of acquired resistance in Candida albicans...
- A CTL epitope from human cytomegalovirus IE1 defined by combining prediction of HLA binding and proteasomal processing is the target of dominant immune responses in patients after allogeneic stem cell transplantationHolger Hebart
Medizinische Klinik II, Institut fur Zellbiologie, Eberhard Karls Universitat Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
Exp Hematol 31:966-73. 2003..In an attempt to define HCMV IE1-derived, HLA-A(*)0201-restricted epitopes, an advanced computer-based epitope prediction combining HLA binding and proteasomal cleavages in silico was performed...
- Toll-like receptor 3 has no critical role during early immune response of human monocyte-derived dendritic cells after infection with the human cytomegalovirus strain TB40EMarkus Mezger
Julius Maximilians Universitat Wurzburg, Medizinische Klinik and Poliklinik II, Eberhard Karls Universität Tuebingen, Tubingen, Germany
Viral Immunol 22:343-51. 2009..However, expression of IFN-beta induced by HCMV was not diminished when TLR3 was silenced first. Thus the early HCMV-triggered immune response of human moDCs appears to be independent of TLR3 signaling...
- Antifungal drug resistanceJuergen Loeffler
Eberhard Karls Universitat, Medizinische Klinik, Tuebingen, Germany
Clin Infect Dis 36:S31-41. 2003..The frequency, interpretation, and, in particular, mechanism of resistance to current classes of antifungal agents, particularly the azoles (where resistance has climbed most prominently) are discussed in this review...
- Aspergillus fumigatus antigens activate innate immune cells via toll-like receptors 2 and 4Sibylla Braedel
Institute for Cell Biology, Eberhard Karls Universität Tuuml bingen, Tubingen, Germany
Br J Haematol 125:392-9. 2004..Our results indicated that this activation was mediated via TLR2 and TLR4. Future studies are needed to assess the clinical impact of these findings in patients at high risk for IA...
- Sensitive detection of human cytomegalovirus peptide-specific cytotoxic T-lymphocyte responses by interferon-gamma-enzyme-linked immunospot assay and flow cytometry in healthy individuals and in patients after allogeneic stem cell transplantationHolger Hebart
Medizinische Klinik II, Institut fur Zellbiologie, and Medizinische Virologie, Eberhard Karls Universitat Tubingen, Germany
Blood 99:3830-7. 2002....
- Diminished phagocytosis-induced cell death (PICD) in neonatal monocytes upon infection with Escherichia coliChristian Gille
Department of Neonatology, University Children s Hospital, Tuebingen, 72076, Germany
Pediatr Res 63:33-8. 2008..Caspases CD95L and CD95L mRNA were up-regulated in PBMO. Our results indicate that CBMO are less sensitive toward E. coli-mediated PICD than PBMO. Modifying monocyte apoptosis may be a target for future interventions in sepsis...
- Polymorphisms in the chemokine (C-X-C motif) ligand 10 are associated with invasive aspergillosis after allogeneic stem-cell transplantation and influence CXCL10 expression in monocyte-derived dendritic cellsMarkus Mezger
Julius Maximilians Universitat Wurzburg, Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik II, Germany
Blood 111:534-6. 2008..Thus, polymorphisms in CXCL10 determine chemokine secretion by iDCs upon exposure to A fumigatus and most likely thereby genetically determine the risk of IA after alloSCT...
- Infectious pulmonary complications after stem cell transplantation or chemotherapy: diagnostic yield of bronchoalveolar lavageAlfred Lennart Bissinger
Medizinische Klinik II, Universitatsklinikum Tubingen, D 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 52:275-80. 2005..Herpesviruses, fungi, and Gram-positive bacteria were detected most frequently, and in 53%, polymicrobial infections were diagnosed...
- Polymorphisms in the genes encoding chemokine receptor 5, interleukin-10, and monocyte chemoattractant protein 1 contribute to cytomegalovirus reactivation and disease after allogeneic stem cell transplantationJuergen Loeffler
Julius Maximilians Universitat Wurzburg, Medizinische Klinik II, 97070 Wurzburg, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 44:1847-50. 2006..Testing of high-risk patients for the presence of these single-nucleotide polymorphisms might be useful for individualizing antiviral prophylaxis...
- The Aspergillus fumigatus transcriptional regulator AfYap1 represents the major regulator for defense against reactive oxygen intermediates but is dispensable for pathogenicity in an intranasal mouse infection modelFranziska Lessing
Department of Molecular and Applied Microbiology, Leibniz Institute for Natural Product Research and Infection Biology Hans Knoell Institute, Jena, Germany
Eukaryot Cell 6:2290-302. 2007..fumigatus wild-type and DeltaAfyap1 mutant germlings by human neutrophilic granulocytes worked equally well irrespective of whether the ROI scavenger glutathione or an NADPH-oxidase inhibitor was added to the cells...
- Proinflammatory response of immature human dendritic cells is mediated by dectin-1 after exposure to Aspergillus fumigatus germ tubesMarkus Mezger
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik II, Wurzburg, Germany
J Infect Dis 197:924-31. 2008..Pathogen detection is mediated by different receptors, including Toll-like receptors (TLRs), C-type lectins, and pentraxines. However, little is known about their relevance for immature human dendritic cells (iDCs)...
- Impact of mycophenolic acid on the functionality of human polymorphonuclear neutrophils and dendritic cells during interaction with Aspergillus fumigatusMarkus Mezger
Medizinische Klinik II, Universitat Wurzburg, 97070 Wurzburg, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:2644-6. 2008..Furthermore, MPA inhibited the proinflammatory cytokine response and maturation of dendritic cells...