- Aging of the immune system as a prognostic factor for human longevityAnis Larbi
University of Tubingen, Center for Medical Research, Tubingen, Germany
Physiology (Bethesda) 23:64-74. 2008..The mechanisms and consequences of age-associated immune alterations, designated immunosenescence, are briefly reviewed here...
- Oxidative stress modulation and T cell activationAnis Larbi
Center for Medical Research, Tuebingen Ageing and Tumor Immunology group, University of Tuebingen, Waldhornlestrasse 22, 72072 Tuebingen, Germany
Exp Gerontol 42:852-8. 2007..Here, we discuss the relevance of oxidative stress modulation to prevent T cell dysfunction. We draw attention to some technical, but critical, aspects of T cell culture under hyperoxic conditions...
- A satellite symposium of the 1st European Congress of Immunology Paris, France, September 2006, Aging Research in Immunology: the genomic facet in ParisAnis Larbi
Center for Medical Research, Tuebingen Aging and Tumor Immunology group Waldhornlestrasse 22, 72072, University of Tuebingen, Tuebingen, Germany
Exp Gerontol 42:379-84. 2007
- Immune receptor signaling, aging and autoimmunityAnis Larbi
Center for Medical Research ZMF, Tübingen Aging and Tumour Immunology Group, Section for Transplantation Immunology and Immunohematology, University of Tubingen, Waldhornlestrasse 22, D 72072 Tubingen, Germany
Adv Exp Med Biol 640:312-24. 2008..g., rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus and cancer. In this chapter, we will summarize our knowledge about multichain immune recognition receptor signaling, mainly the TCR, in aging and autoimmune diseases...
- The heat shock proteins in cellular aging: is zinc the missing link?Anis Larbi
Center for Medical Research, Tüebingen Aging and Tumor Immunology group, University of Tuebingen, Waldhornlestrasse 22, 72072, Tuebingen, Germany
Biogerontology 7:399-408. 2006..In this short review we will briefly outline the role of heat-shock proteins and zinc deficiency in aging in order to finally discuss our own results in the context of a link between HSPs, aging and zinc...
- Reduced oxygen tension results in reduced human T cell proliferation and increased intracellular oxidative damage and susceptibility to apoptosis upon activationAnis Larbi
Center for Medical Research, Tübingen Aging and Tumor Immunology Group, University of Tubingen, 72072 Tubingen, Germany
Free Radic Biol Med 48:26-34. 2010..Altogether, this study highlights the importance of controlling oxygen levels in culture when investigating oxygen-dependent phenomena such as oxidative stress...
- Induction of HIF-1alpha and the glycolytic pathway alters apoptotic and differentiation profiles of activated human T cellsAnis Larbi
Center for Medical Research ZMF, Tübingen Aging and Tumor Immunology Group Sektion für Transplantationsimmunologie und Immunhämatologie, Waldhornlestrasse 22, 72072 Tubingen, Germany
J Leukoc Biol 87:265-73. 2010....
- Cytomegalovirus and human immunosenescenceGraham Pawelec
Center for Medical Research, University of Tubingen Medical School, Tubingen, Germany
Rev Med Virol 19:47-56. 2009..Whether the IRP is informative in younger individuals and the mechanism of the CMV effect is discussed in this review...
- Cytomegalovirus infection: a driving force in human T cell immunosenescenceSven Koch
Department of Immunology, University of Tubingen, Auf der Morgenstelle 15, D 72076, Tubingen, Germany
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1114:23-35. 2007..These findings support the hypothesis that persistent herpesviruses, especially CMV, act as chronic antigenic stressors and play a major causative role in immunosenescence and associated mortality...
- Biomarkers of human immunosenescence: impact of Cytomegalovirus infectionEvelyna Derhovanessian
Center for Medical Research, ZMF, University of Tubingen Medical School, Tubingen, Germany
Curr Opin Immunol 21:440-5. 2009....
- Flow cytometric lymphocyte subset analysis using material from frozen whole bloodIftikhar Alam
Tübingen Aging and Tumour Immunology Group, Sektion für Transplantationsimmunologie und Immunohämatologie, University of Tubingen, Zentrum für MedizinischeForschung, Tubingen, Germany
J Immunoassay Immunochem 33:128-39. 2012....
- Immune profiling of Alzheimer patientsMariavaleria Pellicano
Department of Internal Medicine II, Center for Medical Research, University of Tubingen, Tübingen Aging and Tumor Immunology Group, Waldhornlestr 22, 72072 Tubingen, Germany
J Neuroimmunol 242:52-9. 2012..Changes to CD4+ cells might be the result of chronic stimulation by Aβ present in the blood. These findings have implications for diagnosis and understanding the aetiology of the disease...
- Dramatic shifts in circulating CD4 but not CD8 T cell subsets in mild Alzheimer's diseaseAnis Larbi
Center for Medical Research, University of Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
J Alzheimers Dis 17:91-103. 2009....
- Immunosenescence and cancerGraham Pawelec
Tubingen Ageing and Tumour Immunology Group, Center for Medical Research, University of Tübingen Clinical School, Waldhornlestr 22, D 72072 Tubingen, Germany
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 75:165-72. 2010..This review weighs some of the evidence for and against this possibility...
- Does inflammation determine whether obesity is metabolically healthy or unhealthy? The aging perspectiveIftikhar Alam
University of Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
Mediators Inflamm 2012:456456. 2012..What causes this transition to occur and what is the role of obesity-related mediators of inflammation during this transition is discussed in this paper...
- Multi-parametric phospho-flow cytometry: a crucial tool for T lymphocyte signaling studiesDavid Goldeck
Center for Medical Research ZMF, Tübingen Aging and Tumor Immunology Group, Tubingen, Germany
Cytometry A 83:265-72. 2013..This enables precise identification of subset-specific signaling and alterations of signaling pathways in physiological and pathological situations. The importance of such detailed analysis is discussed...
- Relationship between anthropometric variables and nutrient intake in apparently healthy male elderly individuals: a study from PakistanIftikhar Alam
Tübingen Aging and Tumour Immunology Group, Sektion für Transplantationsimmunologie und Immunohämatologie, University of Tubingen, Zentrum für MedizinischeForschung, Waldhörnlestraße 22, 72072 Tubingen, Germany
Nutr J 10:111. 2011..The elderly population is increasing worldwide, which warrants their nutritional status assessment more important. The present study was undertaken to establish the nutritional status of the least-studied elderly population in Pakistan...
- Nutritional status influences peripheral immune cell phenotypes in healthy men in rural PakistanIftikhar Alam
Tubingen Ageing and Tumour Immunology Group, Zentrum für Medizinische Forschung, University of Tubingen, Waldhörnlestraße 22, D 72072, Tubingen, Germany
Immun Ageing 9:16. 2012....
- Human mesenchymal stromal cells express CD14 cross-reactive epitopesGregor A Pilz
Center for Regenerative Medicine ZRM, UKT, Eberhard Karls University, Tubingen, Germany
Cytometry A 79:635-45. 2011..This investigation does not contradict previous work but provides a more accurate characterization of MSC...
- Immunity and ageing in man: Annual Review 2006/2007Graham Pawelec
University of Tübingen Center for Medical Research, Waldhornlestr 22, D 72072, Tubingen, Germany
Exp Gerontol 43:34-8. 2008..Here, we summarise some of the developments in this area and in other important areas of immunosenescence research over the past year...
- Age-associated alterations in the recruitment of signal-transduction proteins to lipid rafts in human T lymphocytesAnis Larbi
Research Center on Aging, Geriatric Institute, Clinical Research Center, University of Sherbrooke, 1036 Belvedere St. South, Sherbrooke, QC, Canada J1H 4C4
J Leukoc Biol 75:373-81. 2004..Our data suggest that some properties of lipid rafts are altered in aging, and this finding may be part of the causes for the decline in T cell functions that are observed in elderly individuals...
- Do membrane rafts contribute to human immunosenescence?Andru Tomoiu
Research Center on Aging, Immunology Program, Geriatric Division, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sherbrooke, 1036 rue Belvedere sud, Sherbrooke J1H 4C4, Quebec, Canada
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1100:98-110. 2007..The alterations in membrane rafts composition and function can underline this altered activation of T cells with aging and then contribute to human immunosenescence. The experimental data in favor of this hypothesis will be reviewed...
- Effects of methyl-beta-cyclodextrin on T lymphocytes lipid rafts with agingAnis Larbi
Research Center on Aging, Sherbrooke Geriatric University Institute, University of Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Que, Canada J1H 5N4
Exp Gerontol 39:551-8. 2004..Altogether these results suggest that defects in cholesterol cellular homeostasis may be part of T-cell immunosenescence via lipid rafts dysfunction...
- Low-grade inflammation with aging has consequences for T-lymphocyte signalingAnis Larbi
Research Center on Aging, University of Sherbrooke Geriatric Institute, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1030:125-33. 2004..In conclusion, we show a link between aging, T-lymphocyte lipid rafts, immune senescence, and low-grade inflammation...
- Ageing, autoimmunity and arthritis: Perturbations of TCR signal transduction pathways with ageing - a biochemical paradigm for the ageing immune systemTamas Fulop
Research Center on Ageing, Sherbrooke Geriatric University Institute, University of Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Arthritis Res Ther 5:290-302. 2003..The putative contribution of altered T-cell signalling with ageing in the development of autoimmune diseases will be also discussed...
- Immunosupportive therapies in agingTamas Fulop
Research Center on Aging, Immunology Program, Geriatric Division, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Clin Interv Aging 2:33-54. 2007..We will then discuss possible interventions that might one day become applicable in an appropriate ethical environment...
- Modulation of T-cell signalling by non-esterified fatty acidsPascal Brassard
Department of Medicine and Centre de recherche Clinique Etienne Le Bel, Faculty of Medicine, Universite de Sherbrooke, QC, Canada
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 77:337-43. 2007..Further mechanistic studies and randomized controlled clinical trials are needed to assess more accurately their effects in healthy and pathological states...
- The role of lipid rafts in T lymphocyte signal transduction with agingTamas Fulop
, Center on Aging Research, Faculty of Medicine, , Sherbrooke, QC, J1H, 4C4 Canada
Ann N Y Acad Sci 973:302-4. 2002
- The role of Mcl-1 and Bax expression alteration in the decreased rescue of human neutrophils from apoptosis by GM-CSF with agingTamas Fulop
, Center on Aging Research, Department of Medicine, , Faculty of Medicine, , Sherbrooke, Quebec J1H 4C4, Canada
Ann N Y Acad Sci 973:305-8. 2002
- Insulin receptor and ageingTamas Fulop
Centre de recherche sur le vieillissement, Institut Universitaire de Gériatrie, Service de Geriatrie, Departement de Medecine, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Que, Canada J1H 4C4
Pathol Biol (Paris) 51:574-80. 2003..The understanding of the IR physiology with ageing will help to develop more adequate preventive and therapeutic strategies in order to decrease the burden of the complications related to insulin resistance...
- Signal transduction and functional changes in neutrophils with agingTamas Fulop
Centre de recherche sur le vieillissement, Institut Universitaire de Gériatrie, Programme d Immunologie, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec J1H 4C4, Canada
Aging Cell 3:217-26. 2004..Alterations were also found in the neutrophil membrane lipid rafts. These alterations in neutrophil functions and signal transduction that occur during aging might contribute to the significant increase in infections in old age...
- Presence and active synthesis of the 67 kDa elastin-receptor in human circulating white blood cellsAnis Larbi
Laboratoire de Bio gérontologie, Centre de recherche sur le vieillissement, Institut Universitaire de Gériatrie, Departement de Medecine, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Que, Canada
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 332:787-92. 2005..The presence of El-R is very important for the interaction of circulating cell with the matrix as these cells intervene during atherosclerosis and in host defence...
- Dysregulation of T-cell function in the elderly : scientific basis and clinical implicationsTamas Fulop
Immunology Program, Geriatric Division, Research Center on Aging, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Drugs Aging 22:589-603. 2005..Considering the public health consequences of decreased immune competence in old age, strategies for immune response modulation are desirable to decrease the health burden for the elderly and improve their quality of life...
- Elastin peptides induced oxidation of LDL by phagocytic cellsTamas Fulop
Centre de recherche sur le vieillissement, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Sherbrooke, Que, Canada
Pathol Biol (Paris) 53:416-23. 2005..In our present study, the HDL was able to decrease the LDL oxidation by KE. This is a new mechanism by which elastin peptides might participate in the initiation and progression of the atherosclerotic process...
- Differential role of lipid rafts in the functions of CD4+ and CD8+ human T lymphocytes with agingAnis Larbi
Research Center on Aging, 1036 Belvedere Street South, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Cell Signal 18:1017-30. 2006..This study emphasizes the differential role of lipid rafts in CD4+ and CD8+ T-cell activation in aging and suggests that the differential localization of CD28 may explain disparities in response to stimulation in human aging...
- Acute in vivo elevation of intravascular triacylglycerol lipolysis impairs peripheral T cell activation in humansAnis Larbi
Division of Geriatrics, University of Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, , Canada
Am J Clin Nutr 82:949-56. 2005..Our results have important implications for nutritional therapy in patients at high risk of septic complications and may also be of relevance to postprandial lipid metabolism disorders such as insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes...
- Impairment of SHP-1 down-regulation in the lipid rafts of human neutrophils under GM-CSF stimulation contributes to their age-related, altered functionsCarl F Fortin
Laboratory for Immunology, Research Center on Aging, Clinical Research Center, and Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
J Leukoc Biol 79:1061-72. 2006..Our results suggest an alteration of the SHP-1 modulation by GM-CSF in lipid rafts of PMN with aging. These alterations could contribute to the decreased GM-CSF effects on PMN...
- T cell response in aging: influence of cellular cholesterol modulationTamas Fulop
Research Center on Aging, University of Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, J1H 4C4, , Canada
Adv Exp Med Biol 584:157-69. 2006
- GM-CSF activates the Jak/STAT pathway to rescue polymorphonuclear neutrophils from spontaneous apoptosis in young but not elderly individualsCarl F Fortin
Department of Medicine, Research Center on Aging, Laboratory of Biogerontology, Sherbrooke Geriatric University Institute, 1036, rue Belvedere Sud, J1H 4C4 Sherbrooke, QC, Canada
Biogerontology 8:173-87. 2007....
- Role of lipid rafts in activation-induced cell death: the fas pathway in agingAnis Larbi
Research Center on Aging, Immunological Graduate Programme, Department of Medicine, University of Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, J1H 4C4, , Canada
Adv Exp Med Biol 584:137-55. 2006
- Modulation of human lymphocyte proliferative response with agingNadine Douziech
, , , Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada J1H 4C4
Exp Gerontol 37:369-87. 2002..The direct activation of certain molecules or the modulation of the cholesterol content of the membrane seems to be effective immunomodulatory interventions with aging...