Michael R Kraus
- Psychiatric side effects of pegylated interferon alfa-2b as compared to conventional interferon alfa-2b in patients with chronic hepatitis CMichael R Kraus
Medizinische Poliklinik, University of Wurzburg, Klinikstr 6 8, D 97070 Wurzburg, Germany
World J Gastroenterol 11:1769-74. 2005..To assess systematically the spectrum and extent of depressive symptoms comparing patient groups receiving peginterferon or conventional interferon...
- Serotonin-1A receptor gene HTR1A variation predicts interferon-induced depression in chronic hepatitis CMichael R Kraus
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik II, Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Wurzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
Gastroenterology 132:1279-86. 2007..Interferon-induced depression is a major complication in antiviral therapy of chronic hepatitis C. Little is known about underlying mechanisms and reliable predictive factors associated with cytokine-induced depressive symptoms...
- Therapy of interferon-induced depression in chronic hepatitis C with citalopram: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyM R Kraus
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik II, Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Wurzburg University, Klinikstr 6 8, 97070 Wurzburg, Germany
Gut 57:531-6. 2008..Interferon-induced depression represents a major complication in antiviral treatment of chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection...
- Sexual dysfunction in males with chronic hepatitis C and antiviral therapy: interferon-induced functional androgen deficiency or depression?M R Kraus
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Medizinische Poliklinik, University of Wurzburg, Klinikstrasse 6 8, D 97070 Wurzburg, Germany
J Endocrinol 185:345-52. 2005..These findings may affect care for male hepatitis C patients during interferon therapy...
- Neurocognitive changes in patients with hepatitis C receiving interferon alfa-2b and ribavirinMichael R Kraus
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Medizinische Poliklinik, University of Wurzburg, D 97070 Wurzburg, Germany
Clin Pharmacol Ther 77:90-100. 2005..During antiviral therapy of chronic hepatitis C, patients frequently report impairment of concentration or memory. Therefore we prospectively investigated neurocognitive performance in patients receiving interferon alfa and ribavirin...
- Prophylactic SSRI during interferon alpha re-therapy in patients with chronic hepatitis C and a history of interferon-induced depressionM R Kraus
Medizinische Poliklinik Clinic for Internal Medicine, University of Wurzburg, Klinikstrasse, Wurzburg, Germany
J Viral Hepat 12:96-100. 2005..In these patients, SSRI prophylaxis is safe and efficacious and should be considered, if antiviral re-therapy is indicated...
- Platelet serotonin (5-HT) levels in interferon-treated patients with hepatitis C and its possible association with interferon-induced depressionArne Schäfer
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik II, Department of Gastroenterology, University of Wurzburg, Klinikstr 6 8, D 97070 Wurzburg, Germany
J Hepatol 52:10-5. 2010..The aim of the present study was to investigate the correlation between platelet serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine, 5-HT) concentrations and IFN-induced depression...
- Sustained virological response in the antiviral therapy of chronic hepatitis C: is there a predictive value of interferon-induced depression?Arne Schäfer
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik II, Wurzburg, Germany
Chemotherapy 53:292-9. 2007..The study objective was to determine the contribution of cytokine-induced depression to a predictive model of sustained virological response (SVR) in chronic hepatitis C...
- Psychiatric symptoms in patients with chronic hepatitis C receiving interferon alfa-2b therapyMichael R Kraus
Clinic for Internal Medicine, University of Wurzburg, Germany
J Clin Psychiatry 64:708-14. 2003..The goal of the present study was to assess prospectively the incidence, spectrum, and extent of psychiatric symptoms of patients receiving interferon alfa therapy as compared with an untreated reference group...
- Improvement of neurocognitive function in responders to an antiviral therapy for chronic hepatitis CMichael R Kraus
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik II, Department of Gastroenterology, University of Wurzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
Hepatology 58:497-504. 2013..This therefore suggests an added therapeutic benefit of antiviral treatment in HCV infection. Improvement of neurocognitive function may be an additional treatment indication in patients with HCV. (HEPATOLOGY 2013;58:497-504). ..
- Psychopathological changes and quality of life in hepatitis C virus-infected, opioid-dependent patients during maintenance therapyArne Schäfer
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik II, Universitat Wurzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
Addiction 104:630-40. 2009....
- Physician-patient relationship and disclosure behaviour in chronic hepatitis C in a group of German outpatientsArne Schäfer
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik II, Wurzburg University, Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Germany
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 17:1387-94. 2005..The goal of the study was to examine self-disclosure of HCV positivity, perceived stigmatization, and potential predictor variables in a German outpatient group...
- Compliance with therapy in patients with chronic hepatitis C: associations with psychiatric symptoms, interpersonal problems, and mode of acquisitionM R Kraus
Medizinische Poliklinik, , Germany
Dig Dis Sci 46:2060-5. 2001..3%. In total, 86.5% of cases were classified correctly. In situations of unclear indication for IFN therapy, psychological variables assessment of before the beginning of treatment may represent an additional decision-making factor...
- Methodological approaches in the assessment of interferon-alfa-induced depression in patients with chronic hepatitis C - a critical reviewArne Schäfer
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik II, University of Wurzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 16:186-201. 2007..Furthermore, objective criteria and guidelines for the treatment of IFN-induced depression in these patients are needed in clinical practice...
- Nucleoporin p62 antibodies in a case of mixed connective tissue diseaseDoris M Kraemer
Medizinische Poliklinik, University of Wurzburg, 97070 Wurzburg, Germany
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 10:329-31. 2003..Thus far, p62 antibodies have mainly been described in cases of primary biliary cirrhosis. We speculate that the presence of p62 antibodies is an indication of a poor prognosis in connective tissue disorders...
- Emotional state, coping styles, and somatic variables in patients with chronic hepatitis CM R Kraus
Medizinische Poliklinik, University of Wurzburg, Germany
Psychosomatics 41:377-84. 2000..028). Older patients with CHC and patients with a long period since CHC diagnosis or who were advised not to undergo interferon therapy should be carefully and regularly assessed for depression, anxiety, and inappropriate coping styles...
- Giant fold gastritis with consecutive gastric carcinoma in a patient with peutz-jeghers syndromeO H Al-Taie
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik II, Funktionsbereich Gastroenterologie, Julius Maximilians Universitat, Wurzburg, Germany
Z Gastroenterol 43:653-6. 2005....
- Paroxetine for the treatment of interferon-alpha-induced depression in chronic hepatitis CM R Kraus
Medizinische Poliklinik, University of Wurzburg, Klinikstrasse 6 8, D 97070 Wurzburg, Germany
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 16:1091-9. 2002..Psychiatric side-effects may require dose reduction or premature discontinuation of interferon therapy in chronic hepatitis C. New strategies are needed in order to prevent the premature termination of interferon therapy...
- Buprenorphine and methadone in the treatment of opioid dependence: methods and design of the COBRA studyHans Ulrich Wittchen
Institut für Klinische Psychologie und Psychotherapie, TU Dresden, Germany
Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 14:14-28. 2005..The COBRA study provides a unique comprehensive database, informing about the natural allocation and intervention processes in routine care and about the course and outcome of patients treated with buprenorphine or methadone...
- Prediction of progression to cirrhosis by a glutathione S-transferase P1 polymorphism in subjects with hereditary hemochromatosisFelix Stickel
Department of Medicine I, University of Erlangen Nurnberg, Erlangen, Germany
Arch Intern Med 165:1835-40. 2005..Our objective was to establish the role of the functional polymorphisms of GSTP1 (codon 105 Ile-->Val) and MnSOD (codon 16 of precursor protein Ala-->Val) on the evolution of cirrhosis in patients with HHC and CHC...
- Feasibility and outcome of substitution treatment of heroin-dependent patients in specialized substitution centers and primary care facilities in Germany: a naturalistic study in 2694 patientsHans Ulrich Wittchen
Institute of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Technische Universitaet Dresden, Chemnitzerstrasse 46, 01187 Dresden, Germany
Drug Alcohol Depend 95:245-57. 2008..Despite many short-term studies, little is known about the long-term (12-month) effects of these treatments in different settings, i.e. primary care-based (PMC) and specialized substitution centers (SSCs)...